Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Pujols also had more good bats around him, like Larry Walker and Jim Edmonds, unlike Trout who has nothing but worthless bats, like Albert Pujols

jesus christ we're through the looking glass here people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Barrold finished 12th in MVP in a season in which he slashed .294/.431/.577 over 635 PA

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GalacticAcid posted:

Hahah follow Bill for updates on the macabre comedy of Bob Nutting's annual Spring Training press conference

https://twitter.com/BrinkPG/status/1098264071298785286

https://twitter.com/BrinkPG/status/1098266331714080768

:vince:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

*puts a lovely product on the field, attendance goes down*

We can't put a quality product on the field because attendance is down

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Intruder posted:

Barrold finished 12th in MVP in a season in which he slashed .294/.431/.577 over 635 PA

Albert finished 9th in 07 when he slashed .327/.429/.568 over 679 PA’s. :shrug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GalacticAcid posted:

The original query was worded as whether Trout was the more dominant player, which requires context-adjusted figures to see how they stacked against their contemporaries.

However, had the question been who was the more productive player, bewbies's methodology of directly comparing counting & rate stats would be perfectly justified.

-The Nuanced Guy

technically bewbies wasn't directly comparing counting stats since he added an extra year to Pujols :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

technically bewbies wasn't directly comparing counting stats since he added an extra year to Pujols :v:

i dont think that was me, man

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

i dont think that was me, man

you right

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

lol jesus christ

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NiceGuy posted:

This guy gets it. .350 ain't a half bad OBP :shrug:

If stat nerds had been around in the Boston office back then then they would have used that statistic to badly underpay hall-of-famer Jim Rice. Bad look given the Red Sox's history of institutional racism.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mike Trout's OPS against batters, minimum 30 PA:

Should be noted hes faced Felix 93 times (Iwakuma is next with 61, Holland with 57) so that's pretty much owning a dude your career.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Someone mentioned putting up big numbers despite having a garbage surrounding lineup so thought I'd share this combined WAR total from 1999-2003, spanning Brian Giles's time with the Pirates in the heart of the darkest years:

Kendall's on there too but jfc, 1.013 OPS.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlosologist posted:

lol jesus christ

New band name idea: Mike Trout Death Curse

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
pumped

for

vlad

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Walrus posted:

pumped

for

vlad

this is the Spring Training N/V not the May N/V

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N: https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1098271705917739008

V: I hope this means the Padres did the dang thing with Harper too.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

Someone mentioned putting up big numbers despite having a garbage surrounding lineup so thought I'd share this combined WAR total from 1999-2003, spanning Brian Giles's time with the Pirates in the heart of the darkest years:

Kendall's on there too but jfc, 1.013 OPS.

Yeah but it's offset by too much naked shower fun

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He clarified that he was on the LeBatard Show doing an Elmo impression

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

this is the Spring Training N/V not the May N/V

I don't even care about seeing him on the roster (well I do) I just want to see some taters get gloriously mashed

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I knew I shouldn’t have waited so long on getting tickets for opening day.

Thanks a lot Padres owners. Now I have to watch Machado from my house because the game is sold out.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cubs ZiPS are up.

That just leaves the Padres & White Sox.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1098238982117179394

[Anchorman "I don't believe you" GIF]

Getting my hopes up would just put him on the Dodgers, so let's give skepticism a try?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/tipping_pitches/status/1098278427793256448
I had no idea about Dee's history in this regard. I hope more guys like him keep speaking publicly about MLB's lip-service attitude towards domestic violence.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GalacticAcid posted:

Cubs ZiPS are up.

That just leaves the Padres & White Sox.

A preview:

https://twitter.com/DSzymborski/status/1098281511902760962

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

IcePhoenix posted:

My favorite part of this argument is that it uses a cumulative stat (bWAR) as an attempt to make Pujols look better, but Pujols has an extra year in the timeframes used.

Trout's average bWAR over this timeframe is 9.11 vs 8.66 for Pujols. It would go up to 8.81 if you took out 2010 to make it the same amount of years but then Pujols would have less cumulative bWAR (61.7).

I wasn't really arguing anything to make anyone look better. I was taking Pujols' absolute prime in terms of being great. Trout's still in his prime and could have 4 more years like he just had and he would undoubtedly have better numbers everywhere. I can't just add a random year that Trout doesn't have to make the bWAR even out. I even said Trout's prime is probably going to be better :shrug: (I guess I could have taken away Pujols' 2010 to even out the PA's, but he was MVP2 and led the league in four things and had a 7.5 bWAR, still clearly prime imo)

And I added the strikeout thing because it was interesting and that's definitely a product of him being "old school." He still has that same mentality. Hit it hard somewhere regardless of the shift. It's obviously not working for him, but he's like 90 years old.

Adding another random interesting thing (that probably has to do with park factors): Prime Pujols slugged .635. Trout hasn't hit that mark once.

How much money is Trout going to not make when he's an FA the year before the CBA runs out.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That team looks quite competitive, and then you get to their pitching

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bawfuls posted:

I mean, I don't think that the Padres should buy in right now, because the only "free" option is Dallas Keuchel who I don't really see as worth the money. Everything else would require us to deal from the farm, but why do that when we're not likely to be good this year anyways?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Padres/Reds NLCS gently caress pitching hit dingers

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I don't think that the Padres should buy in right now, because the only "free" option is Dallas Keuchel who I don't really see as worth the money. Everything else would require us to deal from the farm, but why do that when we're not likely to be good this year anyways?

The team has ridiculous prospect depth and would be good this year if they picked up some pitchers/were able to promote some of their top dudes.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bawfuls posted:

I had no idea about Dee's history in this regard. I hope more guys like him keep speaking publicly about MLB's lip-service attitude towards domestic violence.

wow.

quote:

"Do you want me to leave, little man?" he asked. "Do you?"

Lynford had just moved in within the past year. It was the first time someone lived with DeVona and Dee.

"It might have been our worst mistake," Dee says.

Among the items Lynford brought with him was a Super Nintendo. And now, as Dee considered the question hanging in the air, he thought of this beloved game.

No, he said. No, I don't want you to leave.

"That's why, for a long, long time, I felt it was my fault," Gordon says.

literal death to all abusers

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1098297411318005760?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Walrus posted:

wow.

literal death to all abusers
(context for anyone who hasn't clicked yet, Dee was 7 years old when this happened. Two days later this shitstain shot and killed Dee's mother)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

quote:

On the drive back to Avon Park from his old life to his new, Dee quietly sat in the back seat of his Nana's Lincoln Town Car with his dog, Polo, in his lap. His mother had just given the dog to him a few weeks earlier, on April 22, his seventh birthday.

It was a beautiful golden Labrador retriever. And in that moment, Dee had no way of knowing that four months later a neighbor would poison Polo, and he would lose his dog, too.

Polo simply went missing. There was a big lot between the houses with several trees, and one day Dee and some friends were playing basketball and someone kicked the ball in frustration.

"I went into the bushes to get it, and there was my dog," Gordon says. "I was like, what the hell? My mom bought me that dog."

people are no good

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Padres should sign keuchel

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

bawfuls posted:

I guess I just became a big Dee Gordon fan.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Intruder posted:

people are no good

Yeah, talk about when it rains it pours, Jesus Christ :stonk:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People suck.

It would be funny if we find out Harper and Machado were getting $300M offers all offseason and we were just assuming they weren't because they just didn't want to sign with the teams offering them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Did we ever find out what that fight between Dee Gordon and Jean Segura in the Mariners club house was about?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Edit: I'll entertain arguments Trout has killed Felix.

More of a Julius Caesar situation where the entire AL just decided to stab the poo poo out of him. Trout can be Brutus though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't understand why so many people are down on Keuchel. The projection models generally put him at 190+ innings with an ERA between 3.41 and 3.70.

He's a horse. If the Pirates signed him I'd dance in the street.