Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

KakerMix posted:

I like my pixel 3 a whole lot because the camera is aces+ but gently caress me is going without a headphone jack the dumbest thing in the god-damned world. At least decent Bluetooth headphones are down to like 20 bucks, still though.

While no headphone jack is dumb as heck, it doesn't really matter with my iPhone XS in any reasonable way in practice because I've been using Bluetooth headphones for like 2 years even when I had a cheap iPhone SE. The slight trade-off in audio quality is incredibly worth the convenience in throwing on my Jaybird X3 at work, so I don't even care.

I don't think the vast, vast majority of users ever bother with their headphone jack. It sucks that Google, Apple, and every other dumbass phone manufacturer removed a staple hardware feature in the name of a minuscule fraction of thinness, but it really doesn't matter because everyone pops onto Amazon and picks up a $30 Anker Bluetooth headphone and it's decent enough and less sucky than having to deal with a cable, which is also yet another failure point in our stupid tech world.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Also I'm an iPhone user and general Apple fan for the most part and I have no problems with most Android device design. The Pixel 3 looks cool as heck and some of the Motorola, OnePlus, LG, etc phones have interesting designs. But holy gently caress, Samsung's design style is horrid. The Samsung Galaxy S10 looks like an ugly brick slab of garbage thrown together with cameras randomly bolted on the back.

Like goddamn this looks bad as gently caress from the back. Samsung's design language is garbage. I don't think Apple is perfect, but their engineers actually think about how a phone feels and looks in your hand vs. just throwing together a rectangular slab that works kind of.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Telebite posted:

I completely abandoned the idea of Apple for anything after Steve Jobs posted a long "rant" about how "WE will not let FLASH run on OUR devices."

Who gives a poo poo about Flash, but the "WE decide what runs on OUR devices" should be so absolutely offensive to ANYONE who cares ANYTHING about technology and moving forward.

So to me, letting Apple have ANY or your money says you have no problem with being told what you are allowed to do with computer hardware that you paid for with your own money. No you don't own the rights to the hardware but you own the hardware itself, and you, and ONLY you, should be allowed to say what gets to run or not.

(And yes I'm aware that there are multiple browser apps on the Apple store that support Flash like Puffin or Photon, but again it's not about Flash, it's about the "We will not let XX run on OUR devices" line.)

Actually, I'm really glad that Apple took a stand against Flash because it led to Flash being near dead, which is great because Flash is smelly garbage from a rancid rotting rear end in a top hat and it might have persisted longer if Apple allowed it on iOS devices. Also Flash is such a horrid battery drain on mobile devices and should not be on phones. Flash kills laptop battery life too and it's so much worse on phones and tablets!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

A friend was lamenting that his old ipad didn't have enough storage so I told him to just get a bigger SD card, you can get like 256 GB for $30

That's when he informed me that Apple products aren't upgradeable

Man what a bunch of bullshit how do they manage to scam so many people into buying their overpriced poo poo

Android SD card support is so inconsistent and weird where some apps ignore a SD card, only interact with data in obtuse ways, and other very strange behaviors vs. internal storage. Sometimes it works fine and I guess SD cards are good for video/photo storage. Also SD is so much slower than your phone's onboard flash memory, especially when it comes to reading data.

Cloud storage is superb these days anyways to the point that I can pull a document, photo, video, etc off my iCloud account on any devices in seconds, so why should I care about a SD card that's barely relevant for my needs? A smartphone is not my Nintendo Switch.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 25, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

I store photos and videos on my devices and don't want to have to go find a wifi connection every time that I run out of storage. This is basically what SD cards exist for

Do you live in the rural Midwest or something? What kind of place doesn't have fast LTE where you're regularly unable to access cloud storage?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

lol yeah I could pay to put my tablet on my cell plan but that seems stupid

I wasn't really talking about tablets and Android tablets are barely usable trash, so who cares? Google does not care about their platform for tablets and it shows. Many apps are totally broken and don't have the most basic scaling for tablet resolutions and aspect ratios.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

yes, but if you dare to repair you own iPhone Apple sends assassin lawyers to kill your family.

Apple's display repair quality in their stores/repair centers is way better than any third-party store/mall kiosk/etc scenario though, so it's well worth going to Apple unless you are absolutely sure the place you're going to for an iPhone screen repair uses quality stuff. The average random strip mall phone repair store charges like $80-90 for an iPhone 7 or whatever and Apple is $150 or so and you're getting a top quality OEM screen replacement without air bubbles or other minor flaws, not some cheap knockoff crap affixed by a 15 year old kid.

It's identical going with Samsung, Google, etc for your Android phone repair too. The average quality going with the original manufacturer repair is much higher than walking into WE REPAIR PHONES near the gas station for $90 vs. $150 for your Galaxy Note.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Mooey Cow posted:

I like all the hosed up touch combinations you have perform on iOS to do the simplest poo poo.

Wanna close a program? Well just tap the icon, tap again, soft tap, double tap, one finger up your rear end, then drrrrag and there's the button. Oops, too slow, just do it again.

On ipad, at one point, you had to put exactly four fingers on the screen in a row and drag to get some special menu, but apparently they change all this poo poo all the time too, which I imagine is very cool for the people who have to use these things.

But yeah, having one button that never does anything reasonable sure is a lot more user friendly than having three buttons that always do exactly what you expect :thunk:

Steve Jobs and his one-button obsession, I'm sure that's what got him killed, and rightly so.

Double tap the home button (or swipe up on a X/XS/XR/new iPad Pro) and swipe between your active apps. Then you can swipe an app up in the app switcher to close it, just like Android. It's like the simplest app switcher design imaginable and you're a moron. Literal 4 year old kids and elderly adults who grew up without tech can figure it out in seconds.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Stevie Lee posted:

oh yeah, sure, just go ahead and mislead people by omitting the step where you stick a finger up your rear end :rolleyes:

Don't kinkshame me and Tim Cook.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

It's two button presses on iPhone vs 1 one Android and he's right that it changes all the time bc apple sucks. How do you split screen apps then? I just have to press and hold that one button.

You know what else though? On my android if I want to I can reprogram what all those keys do myself and have them be whatever.

E:

Lol so easy and intuitive

Like I said, you're arguing against a highly intuitive design principle of iOS that literal toddlers and technically incompetent older adults are able to grasp immediately. My mom got her iPhone 5C and was able to understand the app switcher without having used an iPhone or iPad outside an Apple or carrier store for 2 minutes and she was in her late 50s at the time and still not the most technically adept person to this day. She was also able to understand the slightly different iPhone X swipe up motion when she got her XS Max within 5 minutes too.

I'm sorry that iOS isn't identical to your Android experience being, uh, a different OS from a different company with different engineers, or changes sometimes, just like plenty of Android features change between major OS releases too. Like, what kind of argument is that when both Android and iOS change all the dang time??? :shrug:

It's also blatantly false because I've been regularly using iOS since my iPhone 5 through what has been six major OS releases over more than six years and the behavior of double tap the home button or swipe up the bottom has been identical to trigger the app switcher. The app switcher has gone through some drastic changes in that time (just like Android's app switcher and most other features have too!), but it's always behaved similarly.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 2, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Apple sucks a blowie!

I agree. Apple sucks and Google sucks, but I'd much rather have a phone that doesn't drain my battery life from apps hijacking system services or apps arbitrarily deciding they need full access to my phone's permissions like regularly happens with Android. There's no such thing as a perfect mobile OS, but iOS sucks way less than Android's numerous flaws. I'd much rather have a phone that I don't have to baby to have decent battery life just so I can customize the fonts or search bar as I please, which is totally irrelevant for day-to-day usage. My iPhone XS gets obscenely great battery life straight out of the box and I don't have to play with notification settings or figure out why the dialer app or calendar I downloaded is killing my battery.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Woden posted:

Can you get proper ad blockers and privacy plugins for iOS?

That was a deal breaker years ago but dunno if they ever fixed it.

Yup, there's like 55 choices for ad blockers and privacy stuff out there and Safari is a lightweight fairly awesome mobile browser on its own too.

iOS ad blockers are probably more robust than Android without root these days. Apple surprisingly did a great job with the APIs and allows more than you would expect.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 3, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

Having considered both sides of the argument closely im gonna have to go with Lil Swamp Booger Baby on this one, sorry

Fair enough. Reality itself, truly, sucks a blowie.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Klyith posted:

and yet you willingly put itunes on your computer

I have everything on my phone backed up to iCloud seamlessly and I can access every document, image, video, etc between my iPhone and Macbook Pro on any device in existence from a web browser. No software needed. If I pick up a new iPhone, I can have it up and running in no time restored from the same iCloud backup with all my app data, texts, photos, and the entire contents of my previous phone with no hitches. Same deal if I have to reset my current iPhone and restore from my iCloud backup. I never touch iTunes. It just works with zero issues and I never have to think about it.

iTunes is fine on my Macbook Pro when I want to listen to music anyways, but it's not like I ever use it to sync with my iPhone. It's not a great piece of software, but it's much less lovely than the Windows version. :thumbsup:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 3, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
SMS is total trash and none of that is Google's fault, but it is fairly strange how they haven't been able to push their own iMessage-like protocol over the many, many years of Android. Hangouts came out far too late and that app is a weird mess that no one wants to use. But Google's very weird when it comes to picking and choosing apps to market, which is why Hangouts exists at all.

Also I don't think it's actually ever helped get me a date, but a couple girls have said to me in the past they're glad I have an iPhone because iMessage is so much easier for them... Not that I care now because I've been with my girlfriend for years. But we both have iPhones out of convenience.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 3, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

steve jobs isn't going to gently caress you, he's dead

also my android battery is fine and Apple intentionally makes batteries in older phones perform worse with successive iOS updates because 'lol gently caress you planned obsolescence buy a new one' so don't give me that battery talk mallfucker

Dude, this is completely and utterly wrong. Apple released a stealth update that throttled down the processors in iPhones that have a dying batteries, not the battery itself, so potentially the dying battery lasts longer with less power draw. I had an iPhone 5 with a barely working battery that would randomly turn off at 50-60% out of nowhere and Apple wanted to minimize that behavior for many users. But I disagreed with this move because it was done without user consent. It was really wrong for Apple to do that and they were hit with class action lawsuits. But it also has nothing whatsoever to do with "planned obsolescence" because it's not like Apple can download you a new battery but they did offer heavily discounted $30 batteries for all of 2018.

In short, you're dumb as gently caress and don't know poo poo.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

bradzilla posted:

If you want to play the semantics game, Apple released the throttling update for entire models, not "phones with a dying batteries."

In short, you're a fuckin dweeb and don't know poo poo.

Any smartphone in existence with an original battery will be dying after about 1.5-2 years of regular use, whether it's a Samsung, Apple, or Google Pixel phone. It's irrelevant anyways because Apple's had a battery throttling toggle in iOS for several months now. Not like Samsung and other manufacturers haven't made immeasurable mistakes with exploding phones, annoying Bixby assistant buttons, defective OLED screens, etc. We can play this game forever.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 3, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

you are so close to figuring it out. tell me, if planned obsolescence isnt the goal why does apple prevent people from removing the back plate and replacing the battery?

Lol. There are literally no flagship phones left, besides some 2.5 year old LG models like the V20, that have removable batteries. It's not 2014 when Samsung and other Android manufacturers still offered replaceable batteries.

Also not sure if you've seen the ultra thin, tightly packed internals of today's smartphones but there's no room left to allow for a battery door and user-replaceable battery. Look through a newer phone teardown sometime and you'll cry.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 4, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

I still have a galaxy s5 that works great because I haven't been tricked into believing that I need to replace my phone every year

The Samsung Galaxy S5 hasn't received a full OS update since 2016 or a security update since 2017, so I hope you're having a fun time with your phone full of bleeding-edge malware. Chinese and Russian hackers say hi!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

I bought a new phone a few months ago and it has a removable back plate, SD card slot, and a headphone jack. it cost me $100. sounds like your getting ripped off by these "flagship" phones.

Lol. You're hilarious. How is this in any way a valid comparison? May as well say "Sounds like you're getting ripped off by that Lincoln MKZ. I bought a used Ford Focus for $4k and it's perfect!"

Yeah, I guess if you're fine with a $100 phone cobbled together with 4 year old internals, mediocre screen with awful colors, garbage camera, and no OS updates ever, then more power to you. But I like getting a new phone with updated hardware every 2-3 years or so that's actually supported by the manufacturer for the better part of a decade.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

sorry are we talking about Apple here?

Uh, yeah. Unlike non-Google Pixel Android phones where you're lucky to get one single major OS update over your phone's entire life, Apple supports their phone and tablets heavily, sometimes past what anyone expects them to. You can still update an iPhone 5S to iOS 12 and the 5S is more than 5 years old. The phone started at iOS 7 and has almost every feature from the OS compared to an iPhone 7 or XS, minus obvious camera/processor/etc limitations. That also means every security update hits 5 year old iPhones too, which is a great thing.

Android users wish they could have that level of support. Even Google Pixel and Android One phones are guaranteed only 2-3 years of OS updates.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 4, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Update your 5S to iOS12 and watch it poo poo itself and then Apple will say 'yeah that hardware is just so old you know' and try to sell you a new phone.

Actually, a 5S runs best on iOS 12 than any other OS release to date. About on par with iOS 10 except with more features and an improved UI. Way better than iOS 11.

I'm not saying that Apple isn't a lovely abusive company trying their best to sell you a new phone every 2 years because they absolutely are, but uh, you're really reaching here.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 4, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't even know what weird poo poo the Apple haters in this thread are going on about now. So weird.

The new Macbooks have USB-C ports only, which is a whole other can of worms because I don't think a USB-C only laptop is ready for primetime just yet. I don't really like the design of the newer Macbook Pros at all, which is why I'm sticking with my old 2013 model forever. A laptop with USB-C and USB-A ports too is the way to go imo, but Apple is very far from the only company pushing USB-C heavily. Dell's latest XPS 13 has only USB-C ports, which got lots and lots of backlash just like Apple did for the same decision.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 5, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As they should - it is a terrible design choice. Even on phones I think USB-C is dumb and generally a hassle since it still represents a tiny fraction of the number of cables and ports that devices use. Micro-USB certainly has its issues but at least it is loving common and finding a cable or charger is fast, cheap, and easy.

Nah, micro-USB is literal garbage and I hate it. USB-C is more than fine on phones and tablets because it's a reversible, easier to use faster charging cable that isn't slow as balls for data transfer like old rear end micro-USB. It's absolutely what all phones should have going forward... but legacy USB-A ports should still stick around on laptops for quite some time until you don't need to pull out an adapter for that older hard drive, printer, or mouse that everyone has.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 5, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Glider was drat cool back when I was a kid playing around on my dad's Mac. I never had the manual dexterity or patience for the tougher levels, but it was so cool.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Part of me feels like killing the headphone jack was one of the dumbest overreaches of corporate power ever and I hate Apple for removing a staple feature for literally no reason. It's one of the secondary reasons why I held out with my iPhone SE for probably longer than I should have. I didn't want to lose that headphone jack! The other part of me doesn't care at all because I've had Jaybird X3 Bluetooth headphones for over 2 years and they're very cool and very convenient. Like everyone in the world has Bluetooth headphones they picked up from Amazon these days, so it feels like a total non-issue at this point. Even if I still resent Apple for it. It's not like I have any desire whatsoever to use wired headphones with my phone and there's nothing I'm realistically missing out on, so it doesn't matter effectively.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 5, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

mobby_6kl posted:

You have to admit though it's a brilliant way to save 50 cents per phone and then sell you $5 earbuds for 150.

a. AirPods are actual very well designed and tied for the best true wireless headphones on the market with the Jabra Elite, so you're dumb. The charging case owns hard and the W1 pairing chip (also in BeatsX and other newer Beats headphones) is borderline magic with how lovely Bluetooth pairing usually is. TheY feel like a premium piece of hardware and art super cool imo. They are absolutely not the crappy earbuds Apple throws in with every iPhone. They're much higher quality.
b. Like everyone and their grandma has Bluetooth headphones they bought for $50 or less on Amazon, so pretty sure Apple is nowhere near the largest recipient of removing the headphone jack. More realistically, they've handed basically free cash over to companies like Anker and Taotronics.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Harping on about Bluetooth headphones audio quality is missing the goddamn point. I, and many other people, love their Bluetooth headphones because they're super convenient and you're not dealing with the many annoyances and limitations of wired listening, which is very important when you're at work, at the gym, or otherwise on the go with your phone. Wired headphones and caring about audio quality is for home use when you're playing video games or listening to music on your expensive headphones, not listening to music on your phone while on the bus.

Also I really don't care about aptX because it's a barely supported standard among even high-end Bluetooth headphones that cost $150+. Like, it's nice and all, but it has less industry support than HD-DVD did.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

I'm not sure anyone cares that much these days but it also enables device level copy protection of audio since its not an analog connection anymore.

Oh no. The digital copy protection is going to ruin my experience listening to Styx while at work on my Bluetooth headphones. Whatever shall I do? I think I'll give up on my iPhone XS entirely because of this very minor conceit that doesn't affect my device usage at all.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Dumb Lowtax posted:

A few pages ago "Cough Drop the Beat", you said that Apple stands by their products for five years. You would lead people to believe that there's almost nobody who Apple does wrong by. No one is shielding you from the horror stories except yourself; certainly not us.

I went to an Apple Store yesterday with a bricked phone, since I had gotten the word that their internal article OP2124 explained the exact defect that my phone was experiencing. It has to do with the IC being unable to cope with the newer firmware updates, causing a myriad of crashes. They ran diagnostics and confirmed that yes, my phone has the defect described in their article. They admitted that Apple was *at fault*. And then they insisted that I was on the hook for paying for a new phone! Since the software update was sent to me by them right after my warranty and payments were done, that I was on the full hook for the replacement price. It's been two years, not five, and this is a product Apple did not stand by. I should not have to pay any extra (extra warranties, or extra replacement costs later) for a defect they admit they admit they are at fault for, but I do.

In conclusion "Cough Drop the Beat", you are really reminding me why sometimes I feel that I have talked too much or dominated a conversation, and feel the need to duck out and not make the whole conversation about myself. Otherwise I might look like I'm flailing around on the losing side of an argument. This thread goes a much different and more pleasant direction whenever you're not vainly responding to every single post as if it's a personal attack on your brand. In what universe does Apple, a company with .35% of the entire Earth's finite wealth supply, a trillion dollars, need you to come defend them for free on every single possible criticism? You, less than an ant or a flea to them in terms of their power and influence?

It's a rhetorical question. You don't have to respond.

Apple is a lovely company with abusive practices, just like Google and Samsung, that makes phones and laptops that I like. Chill out.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Listening to music is probably what I do most with my phone actually and I don't see why I should pay literally 5-10x the price for a device that doesn't do what I want it to do as well as the cheaper one.

Music, texting, shitposting, and once in a blue moon a round of 80 Days. Sometimes people call me.

e: the digital copy protection sucks balls and prevents me pirating as easily which I guess doesn't matter because you don't even have a torrent client apparently lol nice $1000 phone

Dude, I have all kinds of pirated music on my iPhone. What are you even talking about???? :pwn:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

Yeah I was talking about the analog hole, ditching the headphone jack is, like HDMI/hdcp, a step towards closing that. It doesn't work that way now but one plausible minor reason for getting rid of headphone jacks is so that it can in the future.

There are Lightning and USB-C to analog headphone jack adapters and also Bluetooth receivers, so closing any sort loophole on Apple/Google/any manufacturer's part is basically impossible. I understand where you're coming from and copy protection is a real issue in our digital world, but there are time tested solutions for this.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

That's cool, but the iOS camera natively reads QR codes.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

MarcusSA posted:

Asking for a torrent client on your phone really is the weirdest thing.

I don’t get it.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I can't think of a single scenario where I'd actually need or want a torrent client on my phone. It's one of the weirder complaints about iOS. I never thought of using one even when I had an Android phone years back. Plenty of stuff exists to get movies, music, etc on my phone from MEGA to Google Drive to Dropbox. I could keep going here and it's all easier and less convoluted than torrenting stuff that I can do with my laptop in seconds.

It might be that I have totally different expectations and usage patterns for my phone than some of y'all. I don't expect or want my iPhone or any phone to replace my laptop or a Mac/PC in any way. It's a complement and iOS is awesome at complementing my Macbook in every respect.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Inept posted:

worried about torrents when android has no adblocking without rooting your phone

Also yeah, like I said a while ago in this thread, iOS ad blocking is superb and Apple allows ad blockers and privacy solutions that bests anything Android has these days. The content blocking APIs are exhaustively detailed by Apple and supported in every way. I paid $1 for Wipr, which blocks every ad everywhere on mobile and Mac Safari and it owns.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

Do macs even let you use a different browser? Idk. Apple seems to sometimes arbitrarily decide that they're the only allowed provider of service X (see above). If that's the case don't bother trying to convince me why it's actually a good thing

Lol. These kinds of posts where people are like "Apple is literally the worst company ever and so much worse and evil than Google and Microsoft and Facebook!!!!" are dumb as hell. Apple is bad. Google is bad. They're all bad. But it's not like you can't download any browser or other applications you want in existence on a Mac. You can even run any browser you want on an iPhone! Lmao.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Also re: browser chat earlier, Chrome is the worst bloated behemoth of a browser on Mac/Windows/Linux/anything desktop ever with terrible ungodly resource usage and bugs up the wazoo with an increasingly awful UI. Safari's had a checkered past, but the latest Safari 12 is an excellent lightweight browser with great privacy features and an efficient UI. Safari allows more direct access to its extension API than other browsers too, which allows for very fast, low resource ad blockers and such.

Chrome literally destroys your laptop battery. My Macbook Pro gets 1.5-2 hours longer average battery life on Safari vs. Chrome and it's similar on Windows with another browser like Firefox too. It's really bad and Google blatantly has zero intention to lower resource usage to fix the laptop problems.

Just use Safari, Firefox, literally any other browser on the planet because Chrome is terrible and you're enabling Google's continued development of destroying the internet on your desktop/laptop.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

marijuanamancer posted:

Chrome is a resource hog but Google does some good things to promote web security, for example they were one of the driving forces behind the major move to https over the last few years. And yeah opera is based on webkit now so it's the same renderer as chrome with a different UI

I'd hope that Google promotes web security as a very high priority because they have like 65% of the browser market share and are subject to the most attack vectors. But even so if they have done actual good in the internet world, the browser itself is a trash fire, so Google gets no pass from me. WebKit itself is fine because Safari runs on the WebKit renderer too and is very efficient on resource usage, so Opera could very well be okay. Google forked WebKit themselves forever ago, which is probably part of the problem.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

marijuanamancer posted:

also i don't quite follow google getting no pass from you when you just said the browser you like is built on technology built by them. No one is forcing anyone to use Chrome. It's definitely a browser by an advertiser. but it existing has channelled money towards webkit development which benefits every browser that uses it

Google is not the main developer and certainly not the creator or maintainer of WebKit. It's an open source renderer used in dozens of web browsers, email clients, etc and worked on by hundreds of developers worldwide. Like I said, they have forked WebKit and use their own Javascript engine and other in-house assorted APIs to support Chrome. Chrome uses WebCore, which renders HTML/SVG only, and the version they use is custom in-house stuff at this point and far removed from the open source release. Safari, Opera, Konqueror, and dozens of other WebKit browsers do not directly benefit from Google's work, and it's disingenuous to claim that's a fact. It's like saying Ubuntu or Fedora drives Linux's development and all other distros benefit from them or some bullshit.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Also it's totally fine if your Moto X4 or whatever budget phone is more than quick enough for your needs and it's cool that a cheaper phone enough for your needs in browsing porn and Youtube videos, but I have a co-worker who returned his Moto X4 two days after picking it up and bought a Huawei phone with a faster processor because the lag in some webpage loads was noticeably annoying for him. Which is why stuff like "I bought a Samsung Jackhole S4 for $150 and it's so fast! Why would you ever spend $800 on a phone?" is goddamn dumb.