Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Corviknight is both cool looking, and has a typing I like. Hope he gets an evo or two that amps up that coolness.

I like how obligatory early game region birds can be made good by making them something that isn't normal/flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

It looks like a single-stage mon to me.

e: or the final stage of a smaller crow. Corvisquire or whatever.

How was Talonflame's line revealed?

Although, you might not be wrong, given that it's used as a taxi. If it was a pidgy of it's line it'd probably not be a taxi. Unless it's evolution was too big and spiky? Single stage would surprise me, since just about every game has had a 3 stage bird revealed early on.

e: I'm still hoping on some new type combos like fire/grass and fire/water.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

why does wooloo have the eyes of a robot

I know goats have weird horizontal pupils like that, dunno if it's the case for sheep too?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

loving lol if you pick versions based on the legendary instead of other version exclusives who aren't going to rot in a box forever

ya but I can just trade someone for any non-limited version exclusives.

it's harder to get people to give up legendaries

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I really hope we get a new eeveelution.

Also, I think I like the idea of a "steel wool" evolution to Wooloo. Wooloo is adorable and precious, but mono normal types have no place on my team. :colbert:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

it becomes steel/normal, what do you do

I was just thinking about that. That’s be cool, just anything but mono normal.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

YaketySass posted:

Legendaries and Mythicals don't count. :colbert:
You get it.

I feel like they could do a few things for a fire/water pokemon, the more obvious being like a geyser or steam vent. But it's funny there's basically a fire/water move (scald) but no pokemon.

A fire/grass that's a chili pepper feels like an obvious idea I'm surprised they haven't done. I have no idea what a fire/electric could be, but I want one that isn't Rotom.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

You'll only be able to transfer pokemon in the Galar region dex, from home?

I really don't like the sound of that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is this like Gen 2 where they actually can't transfer because of some technical issue.

Because that's absolute horseshit.

It sounded more like they dont want to have to maintain support for 900+ pokemon for every game going forward.

Home better not have a subscription. Right now Bank sub is acceptable because I don't have to leave pokemon in it. Having to maintain a sub so I don't lose my pokemon because i can't send them to a game would be lame as poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Good to see Pokemon will revive the "Smash roster slot" discourse. Don't look forward at all to see what doesn't make the cut, because I sure bet every single gen 1 mon will be in, and I'm sure there will be plenty of boring mono-normal/water/grass types, plus a bunch of new ones.

I already feel like we could have done without Bunnelby. I barely even remembered he existed until I went looking up the the early SuMo mons for that gens' Ratata/Zigzagoon/etc.

e: is it confirmed Home has a sub? The idea that some mons will be basically trapped there seems lame as heck if you also gotta pay a sub.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

less laughter posted:

They've already been confirmed.

what the gently caress

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A friend said that SuMo had some really weird inefficiencies; like separate models for every totem pokemon.

Could you imagine if Dexit is because they need to make separate models/space for every dynamax pokemon?

e:
Gamefreak: We're reducing the total pokemon available so we can give those pokemone more time to shine.
Also Gamefreak: We've done away with mega evolution and z-moves, and replaced them with a feature where the pokemon just gets big.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think one of the things that leaves me feeling sour is: How long did they know/feel this?

Like I can't help but be grumpy over how they've gave us gen after gen of "obligatory mono normal animal you will see on every route" and "its a mono water fish, again!" and other pokemon that kind felt like the existed almost purely to pad out the regions/dexs.

Like goldeen being in feels like a perfect example of how much of a bummer this could be. No-one talks about goldeen. No-one likes goldeen, if they do, they're a liar, or they had it in their party when they were 8 and feel nostalgic for it but will probably never use it again. Looking at the confirmed dex so far, we have stuff like Hoot Hoot, Ruffet, and Roggenrola, I can't imagine they'll be leaving out Pidgey, Spearow and Geodude.

I hope the bulk of the galar dex omissions is just old legendaries and mythicals.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I really wish this was at least coming as a result of them reworking some of the nitty-gritty stuff that would create hurdles for importing pokemon; stuff like IVs and EVs.

IVs are dumb as poo poo and should be removed entirely and that's a hill I'd die on. Find a more sane way to have hidden power change type.

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Really hope Finneon and Lumineon made it to Galar

I really don't.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dias posted:

Yeah, I feel like they should keep the EV spread but just get rid of IVs altogether. I'unno how much of a draw that is for the people really into breeding tho.

I don't think it really adds anything to breeding that egg moves, nature, ability, etc. are already adding. On some level you just get a 5/6 IV ditto and solve part of the equation, otherwise it's just tedium. And if they want to take out the tedium of walking to the pokemon center from the gym, perhaps they should take out some of the tedium of breeding competitive mons?

Plus, while I get the idea of IVs are supposed to be like "no two pokemon are the same," everything else kinda accomplishes that too. Also, not entirely seriously, but i've always been bothered by IVs kinda running against the themes of the games of "there is no weak pokemon" and the such. I mean, of course there's "weak" pokemon mechanically, but to have a system that so directly makes a pokemon worse then another of its' species seems...wrong?

I think EVs are a bit silly too because at the end of the day they don't really add much for casual players (who will probably not plan them out and not see much impact) and just add busywork for people making competitive pokemon. That said, there is something to the idea of "use pokemon = it gets stronger" (beyond basic XP) and "what it fights determines where it grows." that feels a lot better then the nature of IVs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

this is quite accurate to my current feelings about pokemon.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I know what you mean (IVs come perilously close to "Paul was right"), but arguably the "no such thing as a weak Pokemon" point still holds in the sense that there are very few fully-evolved Pokemon so weak that they're unusable in single-player even with lousy IVs.

Oh absolutely, but on a literal level IVs can mean 'this pokemon is objectively inferior to an otherwise identical Pokemon." IV spreads are not balanced or equal, it's just luck of the draw. It's not like EVs where any pokemon can work towards greatness, or nature which can be argued to be "they're different" even if in a competitive sense there's certain EV spreads & natures you want for certain pokemon.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Would be cool if every region had its own wholly unique Pokedex with no old pokemon, and then post-game, you're allowed to bring your old friends back to meet your new ones

That was basically Black and White, and while I thought it was pretty cool, a lot of people really didn't like not having any old mons till postgame.

For better or worse, I feel like B&W had a lot of "this region's version of <gen 1 pokemon>" and followed a lot of the tropes of Gen 1's dex in an effort to make it feel like a new but familiar experience.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

speaking as someone who breeds a ton of pokemon with perfect IVs, it's sacrilege :colbert:
(especially, because, ya know, they fixed the main problem with IVs by way of super training. Just make bottlecaps purchasable with BP and they'd be golden. Now all they need is a way to alter the statboost from natures)

But all IVs are adding is unnecessary tedium. Why are they needed? In most circumstances you just want maxed IVs anyways, so why not make that the default? (And just find another way to set HP type.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Matsuda: "he primary reason we are cutting mons is for balance, we will also spend more resources on representing the pokemon included"

Armchair Game Directors: "LOOK AT THE TEXTURES AND ANIMATION"

I get that it sucks but they literally said the primary reason is balance and gameplay related so the textures and animations prove nothing.

They cited technical reasons too.

Also, what balance? Usually you can't import old mons till post game. It's also a single player game. (Don't kid me competitive pokemon is balanced in any way.)

And what "representing mons included?" By replacing the more creative mega evolution or z moves with "pokemon go big" that literally has zero individuality to it that could be applied to any and all pokemon?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm going to be cranky if everyone embraces the whipped cream pokemon after making GBS threads on the ice cream pokemon for several years.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh hey, I literally groused about Pokemon sending a lame message of "some pokemon just suck" with the IV system, good to see they're doubling down in it.

Licarn posted:

Whipped cream pokemon is a pokemon that's whipped cream. Ice cream pokemon is ice cream that's a pokemon. Subtle distinction.

If you can't love pokemon at it's Vanillite, you don't deserve it at it's Alcremie.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 8, 2019

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Remember, the secret to pokemon is love, pour your friendship into your pokemon and bond with it to make it truly strong! And also throw it away after 30 levels for a replacement from the same species that has the gigantamax flag enabled.

But what's more, is once you get that one with the flag enabled, you'll chain breed it for many generations and iterations until it has the right nature, IVs and egg moves.

Having a big incentive/reward for Max Raid Battles, particularly for pokemon you can otherwise obtain more easily isn't bad from a game design perspective, it's A) still funny in regards to a particular ethos of pokemon as we just outlined and b) totally dependent on how rare they are, and if you can raid battle with people remotely.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I was kind of thinking about that Gigantimax Eevve, and how G-Max Cuddle only works on opposite gender pokes kinda makes it sound a little weak compared to the other g-max status attacks.

Charm still only being opposite gender feels a bit weird, all things considered. Like I get it from a gameplay perspective, but let eevee be gay.

e: The more I think of it, why is gender still important in pokemon? Like they've always kinda subverted the breeding thing a bit with "weird, an egg just kinda showed up" - why not double down and make it so gender isn't a factor and it's just some wholesome thing about pokemon who have a super close bond or something?

Like I keep coming back to this feeling that a lot of pokemons nittty-gritty mechanics run against all the "spirit" of the game/series being about like, friendship and poo poo.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 16, 2019

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zuzie posted:

It's so weird how people complain about Gen 1 pandering but then want new Eeveelutions.

New evos for old pokemon is the one piece of pandering I can go for.

Like eevee is almost a special exception since we've had 3 cases of them giving it new evo(s), it's almost a tradition.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I ran a Lucario in my Black 2 run. Steel/Fighting is a cool combo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Please don't rob me of Hypnoxious

I need to keep the hope alive for a new eeveelution.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

BearDrivingTruck posted:

What would be really cool is if you can trade between your own Switch profiles. It probably won’t happen, though.

You'll probably be able to use the bank app to bounce them around....maybe?

But yeah, as for trading to get trade evos? Fat chance.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

qnqnx posted:

It is both funny and sad to me that gen V having a largely gen 1 inspired dex, it both turned out great yet got slammed by the idiots that bitched about only new pokemon until postgame, resulting in even stronger nostalgia pandering the subsequent generations.

Yeah, I like to think of Gen V as like a "reboot" or "re-imagining" but I think a huge strength of B/W was not having any old stuff till postgame. You had to find new favorites, and it just really helped make things feel fresh. It was really helped by having good variety throughout the game with a lot of good type variety offered from pretty early on.

I do think they're doing a decent job from B2/W2 onwards just using old pokemon to throw a ton of diversity at you from early on. It's honestly a big reason why ORAS was a bit weak for me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zuzie posted:

I'm not sure why people get so worked up over EVs and IVs as they're the equivalent of stat allocations in Dungeons and Dragons, and technically they balance each other out in casual playthroughs (also it would suck tremendously if you couldn't progress because your starter was given a bad roll in all its stats).

from a bit ago, but I will die on the hill that "IVs and EVs are bad" because they just made pokemon randomly less good which seems completely against the spirit of the game being about training and friendship. We don't need IVs and EVs to create variance between two pikachus because that's what nature, ability, gender, and attacks are for. Also, at 800 pokemon I think it's okay if two pikachus are the same.

Dunno if this was posted yet, but it's definitely a good move:
https://twitter.com/pokejungle/status/1187726791298953217?s=20

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zore posted:

I miss a lot of the fun stuff in Gen II like how at night you could run into sleeping Pokemon in headbutt trees, or the weird ways they played with time so some trainers only fought you at night or whatever. It was neat.

Ruby/Sapphire not having a day/night cycle still stands out as one of the big reasons I just kinda didn't like it as much.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I hate the time mechanic. I don't want to have to pay the game at certain times. Just let me have everything available in the game regardless if what time it is

Didn't Sun/Moon let you go to the "other world" where the day/night was flipped? If they give you an option to alter the time with game mechanics it seems like a reasonable way to have the mechanic without it being obstructive?

Honestly I remember weather conditions being more annoying since you were then relying on RNG.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Delphox was cool and Fire/Psychic was a great break from endless fire fighting.

Is there a list of the version exclusives we know about so far?

I think I've usually gravitated towards the "first" games (Red/Gold/Ruby...) but I think I've broken the pattern on a few occasions. (Soul Silver, Y and Ultra Moon.)

Sword would be the "correct" version for me to buy because it matches the pattern and sounds cooler, but I want to say I already remember something being exclusive to Shield that I'd prefer...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Bee posted:

Does Diamond and Pearl follow that pattern too? Or is Diamond the "red" one and Pearl the "blue" one despite coloration?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

no it's just y and x that break the pattern, the colour is but one part of the puzzle. True Blue kids got Pearl.

Yeah, have to agree with this. "Diamond" is like Gold in that it feels more "important" then it's counterpart (Silver and Pearl) Granted, I don't consider Red/Ruby/Black/Sun to follow that logic.

But I also think it's a logo thing. Diamond's logo isn't prominently blue in the same way Y's logo is prominently red?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Explain Reshiram being the one on the "Red" cover, compared to Zekrom on the "Blue" then.

The moral of the story is, get whatever version you want and stop letting your brain worms tell you which is the "right" one, jfc.

No brain worms here, I'm just remaking how I gravitate towards the "first" versions. Usually First versions have had legendaries I liked more, that was either the case for Y, or it had some other exclusives I liked. I know got Soul Silver because Skarmory is my boy, and... Ursaring? Is a lame-o.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think some of ya'll are telling on yourselves by proclaiming loudly how bothered you are by the "sexy' pokemon.

Looking at Serebii's list of known version exclusives, I'm immediately divided. Sword has Hydregion, Shield has Tyranitar.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hydregion is way cooler than Tyranitar. :colbert:

Dark/Dragon is a rad typing combo and I like that more then Dark/Ground. But I think I like Tyranitar a bit more design-wise since he doesn't feel like he's trying as hard to be "evil edgy monster?" (Not that I don't kinda like Hydregion's design regardless...)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

less laughter posted:

Tyranitar is Evil/Rock, not Ground. She's the only mon in the series with that type combo.

I thought that felt wrong. Just remembered that it lost one of ground/rock evolving from Pupitar.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sapphire isn't blue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I kinda wish we could get some "we fixed it" changes in a pokemon game. Doesn't need to be a reboot, but I kinda wish Gamefreak could escape this weird need to not violate past truths or something.

Like, let Eevee evolve into leafeon with a leaf stone, and Glaceon with an Ice Stone. Espeon and Umbreon being friendship at day/night is ok, but I wouldn't say no to sun and moon stone evolution, and if they do that, they could just merge friendship and happiness.

Have Alomora be an evolution of Luvdisc.

I'm sure there's like a dozen other weird evolutions that are weird only for the sake of having some explanations of why we didn't see them sooner. Like seriously, cut down on the dozen plus pokemon that need ultra specific items to evolve through a trade. I get that you want people to play together, but it's such a silly song and dance to have to do the "trade, then trade back"

It's been 7 generations. Just let Kadabra and Machoke evolve without a trade.