Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is this also the PGO thread? Anyone know what the deal with Pancham is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I beat Pokémon shield when it came out and got frustrated with the max raid battle mechanics. I liked the wild area when it worked but had connection issues or lovely battles far more often than not. Have they fixed that, or have they added anything or made any changes apart from the paid DLC?

The best part of SW/SH was the wild area and the paid DLC are big wild area expansions. I liked them better than the main game but overall SW/SH remains a bit of a disappointment. I'll be suckered into Legends: arcerus anyways.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MorningMoon posted:

That's over here in the mobile games sub-sub forum
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3950143&perpage=40&pagenumber=35#pti1

I think the deal is that it's only in raids? I really don't know and i'm pretty sure we'll just see it next week anyway

ty

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pokemon Let's Go was great. More like it, please.
Also Pokemon Conequest was great and more Poke-tactics, please.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Silver2195 posted:

I wonder what Unown's moveset will be when it presumably returns in Shining Diamond/Brilliant Pearl. I assume the removal of Hidden Power in SwSh was intended to be permanent. Will they finally get the unique moves for each form that the Unown Report and the TCG suggest they ought to have (Anger, Bear, Chase, etc.)? Will Hidden Power return after all, but with different mechanics? Or will they just take the lazy way out and give Unown Extrasensory?

Hidden Power, but because it's Unown exclusive it will be written as Anger, Bear, and Chase.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

oddium posted:

worse.... it comes with the gen 4 remakes !! 😱

HG/SS are two of the best games in the franchise.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Vinylshadow posted:

Bring back ball seals, but make the letters look like unown, and have them take up more "slots" so people can't use them to spell out slurs

Also introduce baby unown as lower-case letters
Each region gets it's own unown forms based on other alphabets.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Walrus Pete posted:

Gen 2 sucks too bad for this to possibly be true, sorry. HG/SS is an excellent remake of a bad game.

e: also reusable TMs have retroactively ruined every pokemon game that doesn't have them

Gen 2 is the best gen in the franchise, I'm sorry your brains are broken.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Quantum Toast posted:

That might say as much about Gen 1 as it does about Gen 2.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This isn't a high bar at all.

mandatory lesbian posted:

literally the only criteria is "do the types and moves work as intended" lmao
So what does it say about gen 3 which couldn't even keep up?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I mean Gen 3 is mechanically better than gen 2 in basically every way minus....what a day night cycle?

It's even got a way more interesting region, cast and story than "Here's poo poo that didn't make the cut for the first game and then the first game but more empty." It also had better pacing (mechanically and narratively) and just a much more ambitious scope of what it could be than any of the gen 2 games.

Gen 3 did away with:
Day / night
Day of the week
Appricorns
Post game. (Seriously, getting to go back to Kanto was huge)
Backwards compatibility

Gen 3 was awful until Emerald which was ok.

If you exclude the return to Kanto Pokemon wouldn't even be where it was into gen 4. Especially when platinum finally fixed the speed issues in diamond and pearl. And coincidentally remade gen 2...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Which type or move doesnt work in gen 3

Any move on a Pokemon not present in the gen 3 Pokedex

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Apricorns sucked rear end to actually get and most of the pokeballs they made were marginally useful at best and completely poo poo more commonly. And what fuckign post game did gen 2 have? You got like 8 more gym leader battles and a barren loving map to wander around with some extra poo poo trainers in there for fluff. Even as a kid I knew it loving sucked rear end the second I got to what they were calling Mt Moon in all it's single screen tunnel glory.

the only good part of the 'post' game was that you actually got to see half the new pokemon because the actual play experience and pacing of Gen 2 was horrific.

None of those compare to anything even Base Ruby and Sapphire gave us, let alone throwin emerald in there.
In gen 2, after defeating the elite four a ship opened up the entirety of Kanto to you, in addition to a second set of badges there was a plot about a lost rocket grunt with everything culminating with a battle against Red, the protagonist of the previous games. It established a larger world that was actually connected, and with methodology to even bring Pokemon from that world into your game. And it introduced is to the first battle tower as well as the nub that would later become online play.
In ruby and sapphire you're cut off from the rest of the Pokemon world that took the game backwards in nearly every regard. No longer could you take your Pokemon with you from the previous games (and you will note that gen 3 is the only gen to do this). And when you beat the elite four there's nothing waiting for you. No adventure next door, no second set of badges. No new pokemon. There's the battle tower. And that's it. Emerald was smart enough to build the battle tower into a bunch of facilities, at least.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Uhhhh Plumbo.Plumbing.

I mean if you wanna make a complaint about how you had to buy multiple games to get them all on gen 3 I'd agree with you that's stupid but that's something that every single game in the franchise has had.

You could've bought every single game and it wouldn't have mattered because some Pokemon not in frlg or Rs would be trapped in gen 2/1

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Vandar posted:

If it was at all possible to do so, Game Freak probably would have found a way to let it happen.

They figured it out for the VC ports...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mfcrocker posted:

God it's nice to see someone else saying this, so much nostalgia around for B/W and I just don't get it

Agreed. Although BW2 I felt was better, and the PWT was good. If I could port one thing from gen 5 it would be the PWT. (I really hated most of the pokemon too with some key exceptions, but that's an aesthetic choice I won't fault anyone for)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I'd assume the big difference betwen transferring Pokémon from the VC GB games and hypothetically transferring them from a cart is that it would have had to be done in a way the GB games could recognise? Not only does the GBA use a whole different link cable, but conversion from Gen I/II format to Gen III would have to be done in both directions on the fly as Pokémon are traded back and forth. Being able to read game data on the 3DS and convert a Pokémon once has to be a far simpler process.

The GBA could read GB cartridges so you could use two GBA systems and a GBA link cable. Or they could have used input codes or something. And sending back from gen 3 to gen 2 wouldn't be required (like how you can't go back now).
I also remember them saying at the time that the issue wasn't a technical one. They had redid the stats between the two games and revamped IVs and EVs, and that hurdle they figured out since you can port from the VC remakes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

But Salamence is cool as poo poo though???

Makes a good Cylon Raider, imo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TheKingofSprings posted:

That’s a neon pink penis

And yet without gender. Just another way Gamefreak was ahead of the curve.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

yeah this is factually incorrect. Between Sevii Islands, Emeralds Safari zones and C/XD you can get everything possible in gen 3 in gen 3 games.

Yeah this is factually incorrect. Between Mew and Celebi you can't get everything in gen 3 in gen 3 games.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Backwards compatibility has been in literally every single gen with two exceptions: Gen 1 because there was nothing before it, and gen 3 and for some reason you all want to try and convince me this is ok because

Twelve by Pies posted:

You can get Mew using the Old Sea Chart in Emerald and you can get Celebi from Japanese Pokemon Colosseum.
If I was in Japan it would have been fine. The old sea chart was Japan only.

You actually can as Twelve by Pies said but also this is such a loving technicality. "Oh you can't get the mythical pokemon in the base games outside of events" is also something that's true for every single loving pokemon gen. You can't get Celebi in Gen 2 without event poo poo nor can you get mew in gen 1 without glitching the game out. You weirdo.
Mew has always been an event only deal. Same deal with the Celebi in Gen 2. It was an event (That was japan only) to get it unlocked. To use it as you crux to show Gen 3 was somehow a step backwards mechanically is just stupid.
You actually can't as I said to Twelve by Pies, I live in America. And it's not a loving technicallity, it's part of the dex, and is also not true for every single loving pokemon gen because 1 You could get mew in gen 1. And since you want to count Japan you could get Celebi for the first three years in Japan. You eirdo.
I wish Gen 3 would let me step backwards, and that I can't and pretending that isn't a downgrade is just stupid.

I want you to describe how to get mew or celebi in gen 2 without glitches
Why does the mew glitch not count?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oyster posted:

So import the Japanese Colosseum bonus disc. It's still available, even when you're in America. Though complaining about a full dex not being available in gen 3 when it wasn't in gen 2 (in America, as you point out) is......an interesting choice, especially when you can get a higher percentage of the dex in gen 3 (with the imported Colosseum disc you'd only be missing Mew and Deoxys).

So in gen 3 you'd be missing 2/386, in gen 2 you'd be missing 1/251. You could get Celebi with the bad egg glitch. Good luck with that one.

If I were to do it today I would just port from the VC ports, since they unlocked the shrine quest thing.

But look where we are now and how y'all keep moving the goalposts:
The original premise that I put forth was that you had a completed dex in Gen 2 and you couldn't port it to Gen 3 because they lacked backwards compatibility.
Then we heard about how actually across 7 games and an additional third platform you could, except that didn't count mythicals.
Then we heard about how there's actually Japaneese bonus items that could have helped get those mythicals and also they don't count
Except the whole premise is that I already had them!

It's very simple: I could do this in Gen 2. I could not do this in Gen 3. That's not a good thing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You couldn’t do it in Gen 2 without abusing glitches or hacking, is our point.
You could have
From what I recall, there weren’t any non-Legendary Pokémon that could only be gotten through Coliseum/XD, they mostly just let you fill in version-exclusives from the GBA game for example that’s how I got Zangoose in Emerald. The only exclusives were Ho-oh in Coliseum and Lugia in XD iirc. If you had all four of R/S/FR/LG I believe you could get them all apart from those two and event legendaries.

You needed Emerald.

E:

quote:

Edit: “they figured out how to do it with the VC on the 3DS!” is a weird argument considering that happened like 15 years later, it’s almost like technology changes over time.
What technology didn't exist? GBA link cables existed. GBAs could read GBC cartridges. It wasn't a matter of technology.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 27, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

hopeandjoy posted:

It was, because the link cables were fundamentally different. The different connectors wasn’t for show, there’s different pins. GBC carts expect GB pins.
Ok so I put a Silver into a GBA (which could read and minuplate data on a GBC cartridge) and I put Ruby into a different GBA and use a GBA link cable between the two. Or make some dongle like they already did in this generation for wireless.

quote:

Additionally, it would have had to be a one way conversion because absolutely everything under the hood changed between gen 2 and 3. You may note that that’s the solution they eventually arrived at!
Yes. And?

quote:

Also the Mew Glitch doesn’t count because it’s a glitch. It’s not intended behavior. Game Freak did not mean for you to be able to catch Mew by leaving certain trainers unfought, fighting a wild Pokemon with a specific Special stat, and then doing a very sudden pause menu use when you aren’t supposed to be able to pause. There’s a reason it wasn’t discovered until 2003.

If you say so...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Pokémon has always been about interacting with other people so to be fair you didn’t have to buy them yourself you’d just needed to have friends with them. That’s definitely how I got them all in Emerald iirc, I got a few Pokémon from other people. The addition of trading over the internet in Gen 4 helped immensely.

I don't disagree with this, but dragging pokemon from gen to gen is also always been part of pokemon with one singular exception.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Don’t you think that Nintendo would have allowed it if they could? Plus, the issue wasn’t just hardware, it was a software issue. The way stats were calculated changed dramatically between gens 2 & 3 and clearly at the time they couldn’t figure out a way to convert the values. The jumps between other gens weren’t as dramatic.

But the software issue is solved trivially. Like they did with the VC. It didn't take them 15 years to decide "At random. Nature = XP MOD 25"
There's four facts I believe to be true, and if you're going to convince me that transferring pokemon wasn't possible you need to convince me one of these four things are not true:
They didn't implement transferring of any kind.
GBC carts can be read by GBA Systems.
GBA Systems can talk to each other.
The process they settled on transfered stats isn't beyond the capabilities of the GBA system.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Muscle Tracer posted:

there is a third, extremely recent and relevant, exception to this!

I consider Home gen 8. (And also didn't like that transferring wasn't available day one for Bank+ generations)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Seems like you’re unaware that the entire EV & IV system was completely overhauled between Gens 2 & 3. There were also weird quirks like how the shiny rate was tied to IV’s somehow and shiny Pokémon always had bad IV’s. There were tons of mechanical differences, probably more than between any other two generations. I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that there was a technical problem that they couldn’t solve considering they have literally done cross-generational trading/transferring in every other generation, including the previous one.
I am aware: But it doesn't matter. Why does it matter that the EVs and IVs are different if the system just randomizes them when transfered? Why does it matter that IVs determine shinyness when the system can just declare a pokemon shiny?
The method they settled on to transfer pokemon does not care about these differences.

quote:

We’re looking at the one outlier. Idk why you are mad about it or trying to criticize them for it two decades later when it doesn’t even matter any more. Like chill dude. Who cares.

If you don't care why are you replying?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m bored at work :shrug:
:same:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Is emerald not a gen 3 game now?

You're just fuckin dumb take the L.
I'm sorry you didn't read the post I replied to that was explicitly saying non-legendary.
The legendaries required special items not available in all countries. Meaning that you couldn't just buy a game and catch Celebi or Mew.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's literally true of the Gen I and II games as well. :psyduck:

And if you're going to say "But you could use glitches to catch Mew/Celebi" then I can respond by saying you can use Gameshark codes to catch them too so your complaint is still moot.

... Except gen 3 is literally the only gen where you have to go through it again because it's the only one where there's no transferring.
Like if you got a mew in gen 1 you didn't need a gen 2 event because you could transfer from gen 1 to gen 2.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Back in the day events weren't things you connected to the wifi for you had to actually go to Toys R Us or the Pokemon center or whatever and wait in line to do them. It was a big deal and only getting one opportunity to them was a real hinderence.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

quick question guys. when you lose at something do you just go "ah that sucks" or is the sting of defeat so strong you lose consciousness while a schoolkid rifles through your pockets before carrying you to the hospital

I usually run to the nearest hospital and usually drop half my wallet along the way.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dienes posted:

That's my point, thanks.

Its weird seeing an entire official cartoon around them being able to breed with each other when they can't in the games, and its an easy fix.

Like the cheetah, they refuse to breed in captivity.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm playing Sword

I think I'm having an OK time

But I don't like any of the Pokemon I have found.
Yes, that's pokemon sword

quote:

I did a dozen Surprise Trades and got six level 100 legendaries with nicknames like "pkmlabs . com" so I'm just going to use them to steamroll the Dragon gym and hopefully unlock a more fun post-game
They're hacked perfect pokemon. Going to their website and you can buy whatever you need for your team. Don't upload them to home.

quote:

I don't think I really understand what's going on with those giant battles in the Wild Zone. The offline NPC Trainers certainly don't help at all

The offline NPC trainers suck, and if you invite real trainers you might get a level 100 ringer to join you. The benefit is you can get valuable items (to sell, or rare TRs for moves) and the pokemon you catch might have their hidden ability.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Larryb posted:

How long has Bidoof Day been a thing? Pokemon Masters is currently doing an event for it as well (so is Pokemon GO apparently)

It's been a week of bidoof on pgo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Larryb posted:

Has Bidoof Day been a long running thing or is this the first year they’ve done it?

I don't remember a previous bidoof event.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There's an early episode where mistys beats a kid at the trainer school and the character of the day says he should have been mindful of the level gap and then I think beats Misty and we're to think she was being mean

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Super No Vacancy posted:

maybe they should just make later evolutions as cute as the 1st stages so this stops being such a problem. but no they have to make everything uglier as you go

The later the gen the uglier the evolution.
(Also Lanturn is cuter than chinchou)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Prinplup is the worst middle form because it comes from Piplup, and you're not topping that.
To that extent Torchic got hosed too.
Cindaquil escaped this by just being stretched out across it's evolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RatHat posted:

This is incorrect, it's just a fan theory.

Maybe but you're never going to convince me otherwise