Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

iospace posted:

For those unable to watch at the moment, text summary?

Set your text speed to slow, save right outside the Ditto Den, throw a wishing star in, and you can see the color before it starts to save the game. Reset if it's the normal color and not the rare color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

iospace posted:

What's the soft reset combo?

Hit the home button and close the game.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Macaluso posted:

So how rough is the battle tower for someone like me who doesn't bother with status effects and all that poo poo

I want the shiny charm

It's not rough at all, bring Zacian with swords dance and 3 attacks for an easy steamroll.

But also you don't need to do any of the battle tower stuff for the shiny charm, you just need to complete your pokedex.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Oh apparently it's the IV thing that requires the battle tower. Well then. Guess I gotta get catchin

edit: Okay next question then. Can I get false swipe from somewhere

The pokecenter in Motostoke right next to route 3 sells it, you can also catch wild Axew that already know it. The only pokemon I've been able to teach it to so far are Axew line and Grookey line, though, and quick balls with a high level pokemon in the lead have had an incredible success rate for me.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

I just beat the game. Where can I find the Battle Tower? Or do you have to complete the Epilogue first?

Rose Tower, at the north spot in Wyndon. You don't need to beat the epilogue.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

it rules, it's almost everything I liked from LGPE with almost nothing I hated

I really wish they had brought forward pokemon mounts instead of bikes and the terribad biking outfit. Also overworld shinies but I both care less about that and kind of get why they didn't.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

my LGPE giga Eevee has perfect IVs, is that normal or did I luck out? Also it's male which means all but 1 of those perfects pass down to eggs if he's holding a Destiny Knot?

I ask because unlocking the IV Judge revealed to me how wholly inadequate my team is for battle tower, much less competitive, so if I'm gonna topple that tower I need to start fresh

It's normal. Destiny knot makes the child inherit 5 IVs from both parents, the only way to force IVs from one parent is to have that parent hold the Power item for that one stat.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Eiba posted:

Oh, so it doesn't even boost the hidden ability chance?

That's good to know. Do we know what the chances of getting a hidden ability from any raid even is?

Also I thought the purple swirls meant better IVs or something? I know people earlier were talking about going after rare dittos for some reason.

Dittos only show up from purple swirls.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

is there a recommended level for the different star ratings? I joined a 5-star one with a level 50-something and did approximately 0 damage even with type advantage before I got one-shotted. I felt horrible :negative:

IIRC the 5 star pokemon are level 60 if you catch them or 70 if they're gigantamax. IMO that's a pretty good guideline for contributing to a multiplayer battle. For single player you probably want at least level 80 to boost the NPC Pokemon to the point where they maybe don't get one shot by every move.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Mef989 posted:

What's the trick to getting a 5 IV Ditto? Do you breed up to them or do you just have to get lucky and find one in the wild?

Do the soft reset trick (one of my old posts has details) on the raid den that spawns ditto as the rare spawn, it guarantees 4 perfect IVs at 5 star and 3 perfects at 4 star. You can’t breed dittos.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Incense are needed for:
Mime Jr.
Munchlax
Bonsly
Wynaut
Budew

(I think that's the only ones in Galar. It's dumb evolutions got changed, could've changed this too.)

Also Mantyke.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

I heard it's about 300k but is that per match or for the whole tournament? I've got a team I like that covers pretty much every base so I wanna make them all pretty and perfect

that makes sense but I still intend to grumble and complain about it

The amount of money you can find is capped at 99,999 per battle, but you also get about 30k per battle in prize money, so about 400k per tournament once your meowth is high enough to hit the cap (level 84 from just the 3 gigantamax moves).

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

abusing the system clock is morally indistinguishable from hacking mons

Agreed, both things are moral and Good.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Dizz posted:

This is exactly my situation

This is a pretty specific solution, but if you know someone IRL that has Sword, you and they can each make throwaway profiles on your switches, speed run to the dog, and trade with each other’s main profiles. You could maybe do this with someone online if you trust them and are willing to buy a month of Nintendo online for your throwaway profile, but I’m not sure because I did it in person over wifi.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

gmax isn't tied to purple. Every gmax I've found has been in the red beams, purple ones were usually stuff like "this laser in the starting area has a trapinch, which is normally only available in the level 40+ area!"

also yeah more candies come from purples

Red beams can only have gmaxes if there's an event boosting those specific gmaxes. So right now if you want a gmax that isn't butterfree, corviknight, centiscorch, sandaconda, or drednaw then you need to look in purple beams.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

This is my first game with IV checking. Generally speaking what’s golden as far as IV goes? I got an Orbeetle from a raid that has 5x Best (everything but Sp Defense which is “pretty good”). Should I bother breeding etc for that last one? My understanding is the IVs are a numerical limit with a ceiling that doesn’t allow for 6x best? So a 6x Best mon is impossible and I should just blow the bottle cap on tuning that last stat?

I just need someone with more experience to tell me whether I’m right or wrong because this mechanic stuff under the game wasn’t laid bare like this in the 90s games.

6x Best is possible. Generally you want 5x Best and one whatever, where the whatever is in the attack stat you don't use. If the pokemon is a special attacker, like Orbeetle is, No Good Attack is optimal but usually not important. Sometimes you'll want bad Speed IVs either for Trick Room or for Pokemon that actually want to go second but that's rare.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Eimi posted:

Snom is tiny and adorable, it appeals to everyone. Toxel has a face that needs a mother's love.

The G-max list for VGC is very weird and I don't see why they don't just allow all of them, because G-max isn't very strong, especially for doubles. The one that looks kinda strong is Snorlax and even then that's iffy to me.

The only pokemon on the G-max list are ones that have been given away or ones that have boosted spawn rates. It's so you don't have to exploit or spend ten thousand hours farming raid dens to get access to every pokemon.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I'm doing this and it resets the wattage, but the purple beam moves (often all the way across the map). >_>

Is the purple beam one that randomly spawned or one that came from throwing a wishing piece in the den? My experience has been that it only works for wishing piece beams, but consistently works for them.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Ok, yeah. It was the random spawning beam. Didn't even know purple beams spawned from wishing pieces.

Edit: I did just out that moving the clock and changing it back resets the berry trees, too. So, I can continue to farm Qualots. :v:

Edit: Ok, strike that. I'm wrong.

If you do the beam trick it resets berry trees, counts the time towards pokejobs, and changes the stow-on-side merchant items. If you change the date without doing the trick it doesn't.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm assuming the beam trick is slowing down the text to reset the game until you get a purple beam from a wishing peace, right?

I was referring to the date swapping trick Happy Noodle Boy posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Leal posted:

Going through and hatching all those Eevees for perfects I think I got a shiny at some point and tossed it without realizing it as later on when I looked at my league card it said I had 2 shinies. The only one I know I had was my square purrloin, welp!

Your league card doesn't count shinies you've hatched. You ran into a second shiny in the wild and didn't realize it.

I've done the same thing :negative: