Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
honchkrow is way better than murkrow. big boss gangster crow is an unbelievably good pokemon concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if anything is to be changed please god let it be changing grass type into plant type

it's been so long

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TeenageArchipelago posted:

no "gamefreak needs to overhaul x, y, or z aspect of Pokemon" discussion can be complete without someone chiming in that Onix needs to get buffed.

onix needs to get buffed. it's base stats are lower than butterfree's, and almost 1/2 of them are just in defense. It has lower attack than Oddish, a special attacker. loving 35 base health, making even the 160 base defense pointless because it isn't bulky enough to use it. Onix is only as bad as it is because it was the signature pokemon of the first gym leader, and they didn't want it to be too hard, and didn't want it to be lower level then the geodude.
Honestly I feel like gamefreak is more likely to change almost anything besides pokemon base stats. The only way I see them ever touching pokemon stats is with regional forms.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I beat a pokemon emerald nuzlocke :)

that electrode killed 4 of wallace's pokemon. he truly was a great ball

rules were: base nuzlocke faint=death and only catching first pokemon of each route, no item use in battle, can't level pokemon any higher than the next gym leader's highest level pokemon(or champion's after gym 8).
revisiting gen 3 reminded me how terrible so many pokemon's learnsets are. tentacool doesn't learn a water type move until level 25. when electrode reaches level 48 it learns loving swift

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mesadoram posted:

Losing the starter and Machoke must have been rough.

Also, Crown comes out next week. I don't know where this month went...
Oh, I didn't mention but I just got rid of the starter immediately bc I think that makes things more boring, even in a normal run.

the machoke was trained up from a machop for a specific gym and then immediately died partway into the fight lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wish I could watch a version of the anime where they didn't say their names over and over

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Larryb posted:

or just make every Pokemon speak like they do in the anime.
please, god no, I've hated the name calls since I was a small child

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqIAf6oGu_0&t=529s

it's criminal what they did to metagross's cry. the original was so fuckin cool and bassy, the updated version doesn't make nearly as much of an impact

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Harrow posted:

Pokemon Legends looks sick as hell

All they had to show me was flying, riding, and swimming around on Pokemon and I was sold
I might be the weirdo here but I'm mostly excited for a game where pokemon can actually be dangerous outside of the pokedex

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/Kekeflipnote/status/1427997699081740296

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's so funny to me to see over the course of my lifetime the discourse go from people hating the gen 4 starters to 13,000 people on twitter hyped over a screenshot of chimchar

just like with every set past gen 1

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vandar posted:

Who are you hanging out with that hates the Gen IV starters? Those have always been one of the more popular starter sets. :psyduck:
A lot of people disliked infernape because it's another fire/fighting pokemon right after gen 3 had blaziken. (And then that sentiment grew with emboar later.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Blaziken386 posted:

it looks like amity square in BDSP is following the original limit of "only cute pokemon!!", despite the fact that all of your pokemon can follow you anywhere else. Which is the most :psyduck: thing about the remake if true.

That wasn't a deliberate design choice, that was a "we only have overworld sprites for these pokemon" choice. What are you dooiinnngg
even back in the day where they had an excuse, that was maybe the worst feature in any pokemon game. imagine being like, a 9 year old and having the game directly tell you your favorite pokemon isn't cute enough

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

galagazombie posted:

Way I see it if you’re not going to use the team you actually had an adventure with and grew attached to what’s even the point?
pokemon stories don't really feel like adventures to me and I'm a lot more likely to get invested in pokemon via pvp because it's not a pushover

but really the only time I have grown attached to individual pokemon at all was in the mystery dungeon games

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

HootTheOwl posted:

1) Isn't that self defeating? If everyone is going to be maxed out that is then a single total a pokemon will have?
well, if you compare to EVs, with EVs you can only have so many period. you can't have max EVs in every stat-you can at most max 2 stats, so you have to pick what stats to raise and what stats to leave behind, you can't have it all. you actually have to choose between them and make a 'build', so to speak.

IVs are not like that because they can all be maxed, so there's(normally) no opportunity cost, which is a lot less interesting.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's a cartoon for children and it's not really about the game mechanics

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

galagazombie posted:

After that reveal that the music is actually lower tech than a handheld game from more than a decade ago,
by the way, to get a little more specific about that
https://twitter.com/Lewchube/status/1448379783755309066

e:
https://twitter.com/waffloesH/status/1448400517193887747

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Blaziken386 posted:

the only legendary ability that's bad is pressure, because it's just boring and usually pointless
I do not think pressure has ever made a difference at any point of any of my playthroughs

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Countblanc posted:

Mega is cool not just because it buffs some fan favorites, but also because it's actually am interesting decision for team building since it occupies your item slot and the one-per-team limit
that's why it will never ever feel as good as an actual evolution

I want my pokemon to actually turn into something stronger. I want that new stronger form to be them, not an outfit they put on temporarily. it just isn't the same.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it is so so so lame for pokemon that are underpowered and have no evolution like sableye and absol to be finally thrown a bone, except it's the poison pill of mega evolution that comes with a shitload of restrictions and also, implicitly, means that they will never get a real evolution. only 'fully evolved' pokemon can mega evolve and so they're stuck that way for life. hope you never wanted to actually evolve, sableye.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean, yeah. All pokemon should have at least 1 evolution, unless they're like, a legendary or have some weird gimmick that precludes it like ditto. (and I'm sure you could still make an interesting ditto evo.)
it's such a big part of the appeal of pokemon. the big dramatic moment where your magic pet turns into a similar but cooler and more powerful magic pet. the wondering what that thing you caught might turn into if you raise it.

there's very pokemon like this per generation, too. who wouldn't want Pinsir to get an actual evolution? or Qwilfish? poor, poor Qwilfish.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Amppelix posted:

Pokémon breaks its own rules all the drat time so i have no idea why you're doomsaying about this

If they want to do something else with sableye later they will simply come up with a way to do so
ok, but do they want to?
my boy the japanese hopkinsville goblin has existed without an evolution for roughly 2 decades, most of the time I have been alive, so frankly I will believe it when I see it

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Pinsir got a super sick mega but you weren't a fan apparently.
I think mega pinsir looks kind of bad, mega heracross is neat tho

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno, mono stage pokemon are fine. There's a lot of super cool ones and I don't they really need evos or pre-evos or anything. My boy Falinks is perfect and I am happy with him as he is.

Also, I think it's fine that Qwilfish is kinda lame. There's 1000 pokemon I am happy to have a couple mediocre fish. If it gets a cool regional evo like my friend Basculin I wouldn't complain or anything but I don't think it's necessary.
I can't think of a single non legendary mono-stage pokemon that I wouldn't prefer if they could evolve.
It is fine that Qwilfish is kinda lame, but it could be better than fine. It could turn into something cool and useful, like most other pokemon that exist.

Countblanc posted:

they already shouldn't give sableye an evolution, because eviolite sableye sounds like hell
eviolite also should not exist because evolved pokemon should be better than unevolved pokemon. simple as

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
evolutions are cool and it's disappointing when a neat pokemon doesn't get one. that's all

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nanigans posted:

Obvious counter-examples to this are Sableye and Mawile among others. Those should totally just be their canon regular evolutions.
mega absol is another because it's a deviantart sparkledog and normal absol is already almost that. I say this with only love in my heart

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Countblanc posted:

I like to think, given the general importance of the bond between trainer and pokemon (and how often people say yours is particularly strong), the mega dex entries are more that your mon is choosing to put up with the strain of mega evo because you both want to win so badly, rather than you forcing them into it
also how you really really need to try to get your pokemon to dislike you and they will rapidly grow to love you unless you actually just make them do nothing but faint over and over again

aka why frustration is always terrible

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why would you not want your pals to be jacked as hell? Not seeing the problem.
I don't want the games to be easier than they already were, and also like... mechanically? aesthetically? I don't like games systems that are that asymetrical.
which is to say, I don't like that your pokemon can get these OP passive effects like doubled crit chance, 25% endurance chance, etc, while the NPC trainers just don't get them. doesn't feel right.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also just put in difficulty modes already so the weirdos like me can play on hard mode

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/DoSomeMolly/status/1457589921657487361

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vandar posted:

Temtem's starters look like crap and aren't as instantly recognizable and likable as Bulbapedia, Charmander, and Squirtle.
temtem is also in a weird position of largely marketing their game as an MMO when it's not unless you really really bend the definition of MMO, and it doesn't really have MMO players playing it as a result.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vandar posted:

It's totally not though.
I wouldn't call it a scam, but selling more copies is absolutely the reason they release two minorly different versions of the same game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Flopsy posted:

God it's such a rub that even in ancient times the girl outfits kick the absolute poo poo out the boy ones.
you can just say you have a preference for playing as a girl instead of pretending that these aren't almost literally the same outfit

one of them has a bigger belt. that's it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
so there's probably also special pokemon related male outfits that we haven't seen yet and that's being compared against nothing

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not liking held items is peak pokemon grognard

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it would thematically be way loving cooler and weirder because it's actually happening, and you'd be like. directly fighting a (superpowered)person

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zuzie posted:

Denied. Having variations between stats for individual Pokemon is actually good for the single player campaign because it offers a unique experience for every playthrough of the main campaign, even if you use the exact same species each time.
nobody notices IV differences in singleplayer playthroughs. they don't make a difference in that context

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

HootTheOwl posted:

Have you never gone up against the elite four and just felt their pokemon were tougher and stronger for their level?
no, elite 4 never seem strong

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
like I don't know if other people have different experiences here but when I was a kid I just considered elite 4/champion a convenient way to grind levels

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
late but parasect being a hosed up grim mushroom zombie is exactly why it rules

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Amppelix posted:

yes they are, these people can keep replaying gen 1 until the end of time and let me have my actual stories in pokemon games
I feel that way and I started with gen 3

but, they could also just have better stories. I like stories in games but pokemon stories have never been interesting to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
humans in pokemon reproduce via spores so they don't really understand how pokemon do it