Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

This coal unicycle is so weird and dumb I love it, it's probably my favourite Gen 8 design so far.

The motorcycle helmet-like face covering its right eye is just :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What's everyone's favorite final stage of each starter type?

Empoleon, Torterra, Typhlosion (close mention to Incenaroar)

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Doc V posted:

-Having more pokemon makes it harder to create features like mega evolution and dynamaxing, which require extra models and balancing for a large number of pokemon.

All the more reason to include more Pokémon because all of those newfangled gimmicks suck :corsair:

I think getting rid of some Pokémon overall is the right choice, mainly to avoid bloat, but the poo poo people come up with to excuse it like being unable to port models over is just ridiculous.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Rivals are characters designed to lose to you 8 times over the course of the game.

Actually, in SM it doesn't matter if you win or lose against Hau and Gladion, the game will progress either way.
I think that's actually pretty cool as it gives Rivals the ability to actually appear competent, because beating them isn't mandatory.

As for Rival ambushes, I can really only ever remember that happening at the end of long stretches with Blue in Silph, Silver in Victory Road, and Wally in RS in Victory Road, all of which are at the very end of the game; every other Rival ambush from May/Brendan, Barry, Cheren, etc all happen either at the start of an area or very close to a healing spot anyway, and I feel like those ambushes are a much better way to do things.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

The Groudon and Kyogre GBA SP look so neat, I really wish I could get them.
They were on sale at a local shop for like €40 a few months ago, and I was like three days away from winning the betting at like €70 for both before someone swoops in paying €300+ for the two of them :arghfist:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

:hai: This is amazing. I really wish that this is what they did.

Also agreed on Stark Mountain and Reversal Mountain having fantastic ost, though the side games also have some great mountain themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usuKnzJLoHU

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The good thing about the Torchic lines is they cook themselves.

why go for chicken when you can get self-frying pignite bacon

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Saagonsa posted:

Black City wasn't super impressive, but I remember its track being really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ3PzgYN8BI

It really is.

Anyway agreed that Pacifidlog is a really neat concept, and I also like how it conflicts with Fortree as well, and if you want to push it, Lavaridge, for the water/sky/land trinity RSE was so fond of doing.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Most of the towns in Hoenn were designed to be rural and be based around building with nature instead of against it. Sootopolis is in a crater, Fortree everyone lives in the trees, even the big cities of Lilycove and Slateport feel much less built-up and settled then Saffron or Goldenrod. Its a really well-thought out integration of the games big theme of living in harmony with nature where it isn't just something that shows up in the story out of nowhere but is alluded to repeatedly with little things like Rusturf tunnel stopping construction because the way were building it bothered the Whismur, the local Poke-graveyard is a naturally occuring mountain instead of a man-made tower like every other region, its all a very cohesive design in service of the story's nature theme. Then in the remakes they made the centerpiece of the region a giant gently caress-off shopping mall in the middle of nowhere :v:

Definitely, Hoenn in general is the most cohesively designed region, and works very well with the theme it establishes and then also ties in the actual gameplay into it very well; every single time you get an HM, or you pass by Mauville so you can swap your bike, you're given the option to either take a straight shortcut to your destination, or a much longer, exploration-focused route that will also funnel you to your destination as well, and that's just incredibly good.

Base RS that is, Emerald suffers a little in that regard due to some backtracking and making Sky Pillar required, and the remakes just kinda poo poo all over it :v:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Zore posted:

I still love that Sableye is up there with Regigigas, Slaking and Archeops as one of the few Pokemon with a wholly negative ability for some reason? And even then, half can have Keen Eye which is just mostly irrelevant rather than actively detrimental

They really overvalued how good 'no weaknesses' was in Gen III.

Considering Sableye only got Stall in Gen IV, and the Lagging Tail and Full Incense exist as Items, I'm pretty sure it was intended to be used for some kind of 7d chess plays that just didn't pan out because Sableye is definitely not the mon to appreciate it.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Even if the bunny ends up being the cursed Fire/Fighting I'm going to pick it and I'm going to like it :colbert:
It's a British football rabbit I can name Peter, nothing goes above that.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Zuzie posted:

Relicanth's entire shtick is that its based on a creature that's considered to be a "living fossil" (it basically looks unchanged from its ancestors that lived more then 400 million years ago). Getting an evolution would kind of go against that.

As for which version is which color, the color itself doesn't really have anything to do with it, but its more to do with which version is first and which is second in a given pair.

To be fair giving Farfetch'd an evolution also kinda ruined its entire shtick of "looks good short term but is awful long term" because Spearow can Evolve to be better while Farfetch'd can't.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Grotle is amazing and easily the best middle starter :colbert:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

I can't believe they turned Groudon's tail into a Pokémon

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Legendary mon under the cut

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

I've never cared about old mons and only really care about new Pokémon games for the new Pokémon so I never cared much about old mons returning or not, even if most of my favourites are apparently cut from the dex. That combined with a lack of free time means a smaller dex just can be more focused than the clusterfuck that was Kalos, so I'm not too bothered by 400, if anything I'd rather it be cut down a bit further to like 350 or so and have some chaff like Goldeen cut as well :shrug:

I'm thinking of running a combination of:
Cinderace
Grapploct
Frosmoth
Appletun
Copperajah
Polteageist
Hatterene
Falinks
Perrserker

Though considering the Switch profiles means you can have multiple saves I guess I could just use all of them anyway.
Really wanted to use Rolycoly because hot drat it is amazing but those evos dissappoint me so much

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Interesting to see Glameow still doesn't exist.

It's gotta be some kind of achievement to only actually be available in the wild normally without shenanigans in 1 (one) game; Pearl.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Honestly I really don't get the "Pokémon is for kids" thing, with the Exp. Share off XY to a lesser extent, but especially SM are actually pretty difficult, and even before those I went back and played some older games like Platinum and Emerald last year and had a fair bit of trouble at some parts. Granted I did just use the mons I liked and never grinded off wild mons, only beating all the trainers because hahaha gently caress going through Hoenn without perma repels, but still.

I did also ignore Megas and Z-Moves but those are so rarely used by trainers anyway they just feel like appropriate bosses when they do pop up since I can't just abuse them :v:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

"Pokemon is very difficult if I intentionally handicap myself" doesn't prevent it also from being for kids. Intentional handicaps are a way people try to make games they've mastered more interesting. The Pokemon franchise is and always has been absurdly easy barring a few optional challenge areas. This is because it is designed with the core idea being "the story is just for fun and to collect stuff so that you can compete with other people." Pokemon has issues with being competitive but that's more because GF isn't the best as designing for competitive and also had almost a thousand Pokemon so any attempt at balancing is a fool's errand. (For the record I doubt 400 will be any better balanced but we'll see.)

But I found the earlier Pokémon games to still be fairly difficult and I played them recently; I used Empoleon, Roserade, Togekiss, Houndoom, Magnezone, and Chimecho in that Platinum run I mentioned and despite that and only really using repels in caves while battling every single trainer, I hit the Pokémon League with Pokémon in the mid 40s, when the weakest E4 member has them in the high 40s, and had quite a few individual fights like Wake where I had to retry a few times.

"Pokemon is very difficult if I intentionally handicap myself" just isn't really true since to me it only holds water in XY and on, most of the previous games had enough places that actually are difficult. I didn't need to handicap myself in those playthroughs I did last year for them to still have a fair bit of difficulty :shrug:
XY and on are only really that eays because of the Exp. Share which they pretty obviously aren't designed around aside from being a "just skate through the game" mode.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyway in a take I am sure many of you will disagree with. I say we don't need new pokemon anymore. Regional Formes and Evolutions are basically new pokemon in some cases and can fulfill the same role.

Probably equally unpopular, but I'm the exact opposite, Pokémon's only really that interesting for the new mons, while regional formes especially just feel like kind of cheap ways to make a new mon, but then not go all the way and also give it a unique name instead of "Vulpix except cold" :shrug:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Andrast posted:

I'd rather have zero old pokemon than fewer new pokemon

:hmmyes:
Ever since BW I've just been hoping new games would not have any old mons and instead have like 150+ new ones. It'd require a slower release schedule but I'm pretty sure nobody would mind that anyway.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Glad people are using Hoenn as examples of having good location design, in terms of exploration original Hoenn is one of the best examples I can think of for progression out of really any linear game period. It's amazing how every single time you hit a milestone like a bike or a gym you basically get the choice to either beeline to your objective or spend hours faffing about and exploring all the new stuff that opens up to you while also ultimately bringing you to your destination.

Sinnoh had that too sort of but sinnoh also had a garbage progression from like gym 4 to 8

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Zodack posted:

The acro bike and the mach bike were sick

Instead of putting on a dorky rotom uniform why can't they just give every Pokemon with the ability to learn an HM the ability to use it with the gym badge? Forget making it a move, just let them always have that ability. That makes more sense and would be more fun. Let me surf on my dudes, drat it

I think my favourite bit about the mach/acro bike is that every time you pass by mauville you can swap your bike and be ready because the next area you reach will need the bike you just swapped to, as long as you start with mach.
I still think having two bikes is dumb and unnecessary but at least they made the bad mechanic as good as possible.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Even though I didn't get the games myself, I practically forced my girlfriend to take this mon on her team because :3: how could you possibly not, this thing is the pinnacle of all Pokémon.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Eimi posted:

The plot of this game could've been vastly improved by ditching the eterantus poo poo and having it just be SPORTS. Hell Leon is sketchy as hell and as annoying as his brother, you want Rose to be a villain have him be fixing Leon's matches unbeknownst to Leon. Bam he's a villain Leon gets moment that brings him down and then you get to be the champ.

This is probably correct, but also means getting rid of Bede, the best character.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Pokémon Superior Siege Weapon

Played through Super Mystery Dungeon again recently after being too mad to restart when my last save file got corrupted, gotta say looking back I'm surprised at how much music they made for the game that is only used in like, one dungeon, including some that are exclusive to the bonus mode, while the music from Gates to Infinity is used like five times as often. Shame too since the music for Super is probably among the best in the series.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Eevee is obviously cute and easily marketable and all and has the whole evolution gimmick so it makes sense it's the mascot, but it is also the thing standing in the way of the one true perfect mascot, dhelmise

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Even if this is the Japanese one, the Hoenn anime openings were all pretty great. Johto still has my favourite openings but that first opening track from Hoenn still sticks in my mind.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

indigi posted:

is there any benefit to flame orb over poison orb

everything

Guts is the only reason you'd ever use either and it negates the Attack drop from Burn and deals less damage overall than Toxic.
Neither Poison Heal nor Toxic Boost are in the game either, while Flare Boost is, so there aren't even Poison-exclusive abilities to make use of it.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

mycelia posted:

I didn't play past the end point (getting the Skarmory mission), but apparently you can "freely explore the town" after. Kinda curious if you can keep taking requests and theoretically grind up a stupid amount, but I doubt it.

You can't, the only Dungeon gameplay you can get is Tiny Woods, Thunderwave Cave, and then the two regular dungeon outings before you "unlock" Mt. Steel and the game just tells you the demo has ended when you try to go to the Dungeons.

You *can* still train at Makuhita Dojo which is insane (the Bronze ticket bumped me from Level 6 to Level 10) but you can only gain access to ~5 Bronze Tickets so that isn't repeatable either.

My favourite thing about it is that it looks like Friend Areas are returning which is gently caress yes, I loved those, but they bar you from being able to go that way :mad:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

RatHat posted:

Any Gen 4+ Pokémon in the demo? They showed Lucario in the trailer but I wonder if it’ll have any others or if it’ll be Gen 3 only(plus Lucario and megas) like the original.

Also they’re still putting mega evolution in side games. Maybe it could come back in Gen 9

No new mons in the demo, mon availability in the demo has been identical to the originals.
I'm honestly assuming that Lucario is the only Gen 4+ mon in the game, alongside maybe Munchlax, Bonsly, Weavile, and Mime Jr., since those all appeared as statues or were mentioned in the original pair of games.

Mega Evolution I'm assuming is mainly in because it's just built off the PSMD engine and makes it easy to give Rayquaza/Groudon/Kyogre special formes for their battles.

Either way, absolutely no statuses or mechanics exclusive to Gen 4+ mons appear in the glossary of terms for the game, so I doubt there's going to be new mons available.

e:

Cattail Prophet posted:

Another demo question: is the physical-special split in? I'm not sure I could ever go back to a game that doesn't have it.

Physical/Special split is in, as are Gen 7 Movesets and Moves and Abilities. The entire game is effectively up to date; it just only has mons from Gen 1-3.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Araxxor posted:

Yes, but they restrict any evolution to post-game, and evolving the main characters can't be done until after the entire story is finished. (Meaning if the post-game has a relevant story, you have to complete that first before you evolve.)

In Red and Blue, anyone can evolve once post-game hits since there isn't really a 2nd story in post-game.

There are a couple second stories in postgame in Red and Blue but they're all loose threads that all lead to different places and only very vaguely have to do with the actual main plot.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Been playing the PMD remake, loving it so far. It's definitely still a modernization of the first game so it's missing a bit of polish from the middle games, but overall it's about everything I'd expected from it. Can't complain. Got some great improvements to friend rescues from what I remember, feels great actually being able to help out other people in their playthroughs directly, no to mention getting some actually good rewards this time around. It's also way easier to get some rarer endgame materials this time around so you aren't stuck grinding 99 floor dungeons multiple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldNYpNn26bA

Also the ost is still fantastic and this is a great new track

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Silver Falcon posted:

One other thing I also appreciate is Pokemon have better movepools. Or at least your starter and partner seem to. I started with Totodile and I had Crunch and Ice Fang right out of the gate. Charmander had some different moves too. I don't know if that holds for Pokemon you recruit, as I haven't reached that point yet. How does recruiting work now?

Yeah, your starter, partner, and first recruit all have egg moves that they start out with, which makes the beginning feel way less anemic in what you can actually do.
Recruiting is largely the same as the originals; you need a friend area and the mon you're controlling needs to land the final hit, but there's a ton of ways to make it easier, with two rare qualities that boost recruitment rates, one of which is guaranteed on your starter, the friend bow, which boosts rates, is accessible immediately in the postgame, and you can now recruit mons up to 2 tiles away, rather than requiring them to be right next to you.
You can also have up to 8 party members in a dungeon; 3 you bring with you and 5 you recruit in the dungeon. You still need to keep new recruits alive to succesfully recruit them, but it's also just incredibly fun to waltz over anything with your 8-man murder squad

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Dehry posted:

Pokemon Generation 2 source code has leaked.
One of the files are the Spaceworld 99 demo. It's got slower music and ends at Violet City.

The Pokemon sprites are all very different and there's going to be a lot of stuff compiled over the weekend.

Holy poo poo this is a great find. I've been loving all these leaks over the past few years, seeing the development and old designs of these is incredible.

Also, old wooper is amazing and it is a travesty we lost him

Polderjoch fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 24, 2020

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Lot of other stuff is popping up, apparently the spaceworld '99 leak also included some much earlier sprites of mons found in the '97 leak as well.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

galagazombie posted:

I feel that if it's so subtle that I still can't really see it even with you telling me this, it's too subtle for it to really work. Though I find it interesting that this leak is kinda in a transitionary stage from the cartridge leaks. Remoraid seems to have lost all its gun traits but Octillery still has a helmet and treads. Girrafarig is also more or less it's final design instead of the much better two headed design from the cartridge.

Dunno, I personally thought Remoraid and Octillery were pretty obvious in their inspirations even before all these leaks.

Though that might also be because they are related to Mantine, who is a Fighter Jet Manta Ray, the coolest pokemon

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

I admit I'm also not a fan of the power-up gimmicks of the last three gens; Z-Moves are my favourite of the three but I don't like how they basically served the exact same purpose as Gems, but with flashier animations.

It just always felt weird to me to have one-time powerup Items for specific types, remove them and make Fairy Gem completely unobtainable, and then make an incredibly similar replacement that feels the same put trying to grab style points.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Man it's kinda surprising seeing Hoenn so disliked, I always considered it to be a pretty good region overall.
Hell I'd say that it's the best Region in terms of game design and progression until the post-Lilycove water areas. I'll admit that that's one hell of a caveat though, since that's basically like 1/5th of the game.

I definitely think that the water routes could've been much more interesting though, there's some very minor differences between some of the water routes but it's all very minute and the big issue is that you just get an endless stream of tentacool and wingull. It's not like there wasn't ways they could've diversified it either; the areas around Mossdeep and Shoal Cave could have incorporated ice floes and whatever considering it's close to the only ice area in the region, the area around Pacifidlog is ostensibly above a Corsola colony despite Corsola not being available there at all.

It's insane that between Diving and Surfing you can literally only find 5 different mons, split 2/3, no matter where you are bar Spheal showing up around Shoal Cave. I'm pretty sure that there's like, at least triple that amount available through Fishing, why weren't some of those encounters just moved to the Diving/Surfing encounters to diversify those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Isn't Malamar's whole thing being a subversive squid, I don't think you can even catch it in water in XY.