Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

They've all be MY99 and stock. I'm just boggled. The one dropping in price $1K two days after listing might have been a clue. Locally the average 4runner is 1.5 to 2 times the price of a Cherokee. Trying to keep this under $3K if at all possible.

Cost analysis, my guy. You pay less up front, but how much more are you going to have to pay on the back end when the deathwobble happens which is inevitable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

bolind posted:

First business decision: 1Gb or 10Gb internet connection?

What's the cost difference between the two? What's the upload difference between the two? How many people are working/going to be working there? Is the type of business internet dependent? Is upload or download more a factor for you? What will you be using it for? What type of infrastructure do you currently have/are willing to move to given cost vs time? Are you doing a standard server/workstation type of network situation or are you going to VM the hell out of a server(s) and use shitboxes for remote desktop access via VPN, or CLOUUUUUUD it up and use shitboxes for remote desktop access? Additionally, if you go cloud/vmvpn route, what type of internet connections do other workers expect to be using for remote access?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

sneakyfrog posted:

10 gig is nice but overkill for most stuff unless you have really big data. I have 10 gig in my shop but its only due to moving files in the tera-peta range. way overkill for giga range unless you have a decent amount of (l)users all simultaneously doing stuff

If you have the space, have you ever compressed a poo poo ton of data into 1 petafile?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

slidebite posted:

Oh was that thing soldered on? I thought it was just threaded on an NPT nipple from what I thought I could make out in the photo.

Don't burn your house down!

remember to turn your water off. Or better yet, if you don't, make sure you film it

Exactly what I was going to ask, if it's threaded or soldered on. In either case, replace that janky white PVC line with a braided line, we don't even use PVC lines in our rentals anymore because braided doesn't cost that much more and lasts a lot longer.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

fridge corn posted:

He's been banned from Twitter and Facebook but why not YouTube?

Never heard of dude, why was he banned?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

The shark bit connection that I linked is way better than compression fittings, unless you hate your life.

I used compression fittings on my own house back in 2003 and the bathroom pipes are still leak free, they were super easy to install. Slip the 2 parts over pipe, then the valve, screw on with 2 wrenches and done. In all honesty, the shark bit thing seems overpriced and unnecessary.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

InitialDave posted:

God, the US tax infrastructure is hosed up.

There's no reason why anyone who's an employee couldn't run on an equivalent of our PAYE system, I think they just don't want to implement it.

Because it favors those of us that understand how taxes work. This year I paid off a car, remaining balance on a card, and bought airfare for 4 to Costa Rica.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

InitialDave posted:

In what way do you think it does that?

Being under PAYE doesn't restrict me from any deductions/offsets. There are ones it doesn't allow for, but those would only come into effect under self employment etc that is outside the scope of it anyway.

You forgot about deductions and earned income credits, my guy. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for you pay off the top for what you earn across the board sort of taxes here, but one side spins it as regressive and the other spins it as anti-competitive. Meanwhile I’ll play the numbers game in my favor. I’ve been doing my own taxes since 2002 and have only been audited once, which gave me an additional $200.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Also as per advice I am looking at 4Runners but they're way pricier than Cherokees. I want to keep this at around $3K but that isn't gonna happen with a Toyota.

Look for a 90’s v-6 model with a blown head gasket. You can usually pick those up for around 2k or less depending on condition.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Yeah, no thanks... I’ll keep my developing nation - 1st world toilet TBH.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You're missing out, man. Squat toilets offer incredibly satisfying shits... :shrug:

Naah... I had to use them a few times in older parts of Japan, they are terribly awkward and therefore highly unsatisfying. Those super high tech Japanese toilets are on point though, the only thing I've ever wanted since I've used one was a seat warmer.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Got a free 2x faster internet speed upgrade yesterday courtesy of Charter Communications, run a speed test, still old speed. Plug directly to modem, run speed test, getting new speed. Put router back in mix, run speed test, back to old slow speed. No problem, just upgrade router firmware... BRICK! loving poo poo... Well, it was 5 years old anyway, so it was probably time for a new router anyway. Picked up a Netgear Orbi mesh kit, works tits and all devices have new speed, even on wifi and no fuckery involved (installing DD-WRT over the top) for VPN and DDNS since it's built in. Previous wifi router wasn't reaching 100% of all areas of the property, new one does with the mesh wall units. A+++ Would brick router again.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

That's the thing I like about Charter, there's only 1 internet package and customers get whatever the fastest available is. Currently 250down/10up for $65 a month. Supposed to be gig by next year. Before when I had Charter I use to bitch about them, but then I moved and had AT&T/Comcast/Another rural wifi internet provider, all with data caps and lovely speeds being within acceptable range. When I moved back to my house again, I had a new-found respect for Charter and how little they actually gently caress with the customers and leave rates alone.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

They only let me drive it about a mile because I dumped the clutch and redlined the gently caress out of it the second we came to a straight. I'm pretty sure I scared the poo poo out of the poor salesman.

As a former car salesman, you were cut short for being “that guy.” Don’t be that guy, you’re better than that.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

I regret nothing.

InitialDave posted:

Apparently not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdgVcGjzgR4&t=91s

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 7, 2019

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cool, but why the gently caress you got Lucky Charms in the foot water? Does it make it taste better?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

bolind posted:

New job, almost the same crew, and I still find myself sitting in a presentation with a dozen persons where I am literally the only guy without a PhD. :stare:

Working at a college, I’ve grown to realize people with PhD’s are mostly worthless. If said PhD is in Education, they’re double worthless. Don’t let the PhD boogie man scare you, most PhD’s are for show and just mean people threw money at a school to research something 99.9% of the world will never see or more importantly, use.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

KakerMix posted:

she's an actual, real idiot moron who thinks she's smart. The worst kind.

I work with those people on the daily. Dr. computer here was pranked by the students by having his computer flipped upside down and he was trying to put a dvd in the drive. We got a call to fix his dvd drive since the disc kept sliding off. These are the loving idiots your tax dollars are funding. :haw:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Go see Captain Marvel.

I'm taking the fam to see How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, we'll probably see Captain Marvel next week or week after when the lines die down.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

An amazingly talented woman who is the future of the MCU.

Captain Marvel will no doubt be a staple in the MCU, however business-wise, I could see Disney moving a different direction with the talent who plays the character, they typically don't like their talent to be anywhere near controversial with what they say since controversy tends to drive a wedge in market share.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

KakerMix posted:

That everyone ignored Annihilation is proof enough :colbert:

I saw it. :colbert:

.... Since Moviepass was a thing at the time and it was loving terrible, but I don't care because free! :)
I miss Moviepass. :(

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I own a shotgun and a few other things and go skeet and target shooting on the regular. I also drive a Honda Fit so trunk laws have always been really weird since I prefer wagons/hatchbacks. That said, I live in the gun country part of CA where freeway billboards have ar-15 lowers advertised, etc. and those laws are more or less for the other parts of CA where black guns don’t matter since there are trunk laws, but never observed in any way shape or form, at least not here.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

Get over it, snowflake. The character was hilarious and Chris did a great job.

He was the only good character. The rest of the movie was a garbage fire.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Has anybody here ever worked as a civilian for the DoD? If so, what was your experience?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Do you believe in the roof because you believe in yourself?

Rhyno posted:

I haven't had a dog in 15 years.

They're overrated. I'd take a cat any day of the week over a dog. Dogs are too codependent with upkeep and maintenance, with cats you can pet them then tell them to gently caress off and you go your separate ways.

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 12, 2019

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geoj posted:

Let me tell you about being able to proceed with a $3k+ amputation procedure days after being laid off in the summer of 2017 for our cancer-stricken doberman.

Sounds like a shotgun with a donut at the end would be the perfect prescription since it was already cancer-stricken... Just sayin'...

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It was an obvious troll, nothing to see here

This.

Although, I’d reeeeeeeally have to think long and hard about forking over $3k+ to amputate a leg on an already ailing pet while taking into consideration quality of life and longevity issues.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I just changed shocks and struts on my wife’s Taurus last weekend. In the process I forgot why I usually order quick struts. I now remember, spring compression tools can go straight to hell.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Powershift posted:

Math is so subjective though.

This statesmen is true, I’ve been dealing with my kids common core hellscape for too many years to think otherwise now. Math is now about feeling good about the number.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That rear end in a top hat doesn't deserve the doughnut.

Absolutely, I’m also inclined to say a shotgun is too luxurious for him. He needs to be winged a few times with a .22 so he can feel it.

Lowtax chat: does anybody know what the actual operating costs of the forums are? Obviously bandwidth/server(s)/power, but how much is monthly cost for that poo poo to keep this place floating on? The Patreon hit 9300, if operating cost + $2250 a month for anthem blue cross PPO package with $100 max deductible per year per family member including delta dental and VSP insurance is met, I don’t see the issue with having to turn the lights off unless forums cost now exceed $7,050 a month.

keykey fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 13, 2019

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Eh, I wandered away from the FB after STR got doxxed. Ain't got no time for that.

I missed that dumpster fire, I suppose goons gonna goon.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

ilkhan posted:

The incredible portion of our nation

Just to clarify, what nation are you talking about?

The only walkout thing I've heard of today is the U.S. Youth Climate Strike, which is urging that Congress pass OCZ's Green New Deal. Sure thing kiddos, I'm sure the'll get right on that $92 trillion dollars sinking ship.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I think the point of the GND is similar to Swift's "A Modest Proposal, " saying that we have such serious, far reaching, demonstrable problems that are currently getting worse rapidly, that something huge and serious needs to be done to resolve them. Sure, not all of that will get done, but it pushes the conversation and requires the Right to either go further in with their denials of climate issues, or begin to engage with the solution. Either way, collective consciousness is beginning to recognize the problems.

I think more people recognize the problem than not, but the sure fire way to get people to switch to "greener" energy is simply affordability of substitutional technology. Soon electric cars will be at a price point that makes it a more attractive solution, especially maintenance-wise. I'd like to see hydrogen fuel cell technology developed/pushed further, but that's because I'm a big fan of not having to buy additional batteries every 150k or so miles which is an additional incurred cost that pushes the needle back to square 1. The last car I bought for commuting, I went so far as to create an excel sheet of battery only vs fossil fuel and how many miles I'd have to commute to make up the difference. 3 years ago when I purchased my last commute box, it was somewhere in the area of 575k miles which is still ridiculous, factor on top of that the payment + fuel cost of both and it didn't make sense. Also, charge time is still a factor and I'm waiting for the ever so promised 10-minute full charge batteries which would require a ridiculous amount of KWPH to the point where it would require a designated charge area much like a current gas station.

Lightbulb Out posted:

It's ok, the sinking ship are the coastal cities.

Living close enough in proximity to SF where it's affecting our housing prices, I don't think you're wrong.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just woke up to the news of New Zealand. Horrific.

Yesterday I saw Clarkson of all people point this out in a tweet:

The earth is going to fight back at some point, right? I am hardly what I would consider some weird green environmentalist but humans are truly the worst cancer.

I don't disagree with what Clarkson says by any means, a poo poo ton of emissions come from China and it's not like emissions care about borders. That reminds me of a smog study done in CA in the 90's about emission circulation and surprise, surprise, a ton of the northern valley emissions come from the bay area. As if by magic, lobbyists, the valley then had the most stringent smog testing requirements imposed on us, because a higher percentage of CO2 was found in the air that totally had nothing to do with the coastal winds blowing poo poo inward over the Altamont then the Delta effect blowing it south where it hung out in Bakersfield/Grapevine area coupled with LA emissions.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

slothrop posted:

So you're concerned about how the emissions affect you personally then?

I prefer my emissions cage free, man. They're more natural that way, know what I mean?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Oh man, then you really should've been around me for my protein-fuelled gym session then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QodpprseMR4

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

But for real, don't assume that any group of people is just protesting because they're lazy, it's so lovely and patronizing

I dunno man, I’ve always been a huge proponent of coming up with a solution to actually fix poo poo rather than being a part of the group that whines “SOMETHING HAS TO BE DOOOOONE AND SOMEBODY OTHER THAN ME NEEDS TO DO IIIIIT!” That’s just lazy slacktivism at best.

Suburban Dad posted:

We're hosed, eat all the ice cream while you can

And this. Eventually our sun will burn out anyway.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So please explain why schoolkids need to come up with solutions when ..... right now they have zero power except to protest that they want to have a future without a climate disaster that is fully avoidable?

They don’t. The adults who put them up to it do.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Man the world is in a lovely place right now. :(

Absolutely. The thing that drives me nuts is the left supporters are getting exactly what they want as are the right supporters and nobody is willing to work together to bridge the divide and get anything positive going.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I was thinking more locally. The red scare 2.0, media manipulation, accusations, etc... everybody gets what they want and everybody simultaneously loses. Which is worse, left or right extremist groups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

You can go off any metric you want, point being, why should we tolerate any type of extremist group? Religious cults tend to take care of themselves, but we also have nationalists of many types, anti-Muslim, hell we even have an openly anti-Jewish politician these days. We don’t need any of that poo poo, it doesn’t help anybody. In our own backyard here we had an Antifa/white nationalist clash. gently caress both of those groups, they are trying to paint the picture that they are both a victim of the times, yet they’re all being assholes to everyone within their vicinity.