Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Satellit3 posted:

im this thing

you're a sex harness? More power to you!

flakeloaf posted:

dfi holy poo poo i haven't heard that name in years; nicely done url

same, they were great fun weren't they.

lancemantis posted:

tbh I miss this poo poo

yep, yep

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember playing the poo poo out of a golf game included in a car brochure in the 90s

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hand splitting 80 pin ide cables into uniform 8 wire chunks so they were """"""rounded"""""
the home assembled computer scene came into its own with celly 300a's @ 450mhz on bxboards, and died when core2 came out.

i'm not bagging on c2d, but it murdered upgrade-itis. add cheap SSD's on top and the build-your-own scene died imo. my NAS is a 1.83 c2d downclocked to 1.5ghz and passively cooled, with a 120gb system SSD and some new platter drive that can push 120MB/sec all day, and i just don't. think. about. it. saturates gigE all day long and runs for free

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

millennials are too young to remember and parents, well ....

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Father Jack posted:

you think? i tried it out under emulation a while ago and felt hugely let down. maybe i just expected too much from it based on my memory of playing it on the ps1 and being blown away by how good it was for the time

it's a racing game - you don't really have time to look at graphics quality while playing. the handling feels fine to me.

don't play on a big-rear end flatscreen though that'll melt your eyes.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
for a while I used a DFI mouse pad that was also a cutting mat

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

hand splitting 80 pin ide cables into uniform 8 wire chunks so they were """"""rounded"""""
the home assembled computer scene came into its own with celly 300a's @ 450mhz on bxboards, and died when core2 came out.

i'm not bagging on c2d, but it murdered upgrade-itis. add cheap SSD's on top and the build-your-own scene died imo. my NAS is a 1.83 c2d downclocked to 1.5ghz and passively cooled, with a 120gb system SSD and some new platter drive that can push 120MB/sec all day, and i just don't. think. about. it. saturates gigE all day long and runs for free

to be fair the e4300 core 2 duo, the cheapest and slowest of the range at launch, was an even better deal for the home builder than the 300a

binned for 1.8ghz, i got mine to 3.2 with a little goosing of the voltage using the retail fan, in a case with no additional cooling other than the psu fan. it ran perfectly as my main desktop for at least 8 years. then i came across a free q6600 and ran that for a while before doing a whole new build.

for my main desktop i went straight from something that started with a cpu from 2006 to a 7600k and gtx1060.

yes, the price of progress is fast hardware obsolescence, but the fact a budget home build could still be hanging in there after 11 years has it's appeal too

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i binned my lga775 and z77 machines last week because i never used them; there was nothing wrong with them and i hope someone saw them in the recycling depot and picked them up

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

it's a racing game - you don't really have time to look at graphics quality while playing. the handling feels fine to me.

don't play on a big-rear end flatscreen though that'll melt your eyes.

i guess the disconnect between how i remember it and how it actually is was just too jarring for me

i played it originally sitting on the floor in front of a woodgrain crt with a first gen digital controller. i loved it so much i took vacation time to stay home and play it, but i guess you can't go home again

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the past is happily sleeping in the past where it belongs, and if you wake it up it's going to bite you

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"this webpage is best viewed at 800x600"

*cries into 14" crt*

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

i still fire up ut99 from time to time and it still rocks. over the last few years i've probably spent more time playing stuff in mame than modern titles, but yes, for me at least the original GT is one to let go.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Sweevo posted:

"this webpage is best viewed at 800x600"

*cries into 14" crt*

the first 19" crt i ever saw could only do 8*6. i was still astonished by a monitor just being that big.

at the tail end of the crt era i had 2 sun branded 22" trinitrons that weighed 30+ kilos each. i was always a little nervous stretching my legs out under my desk.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

900NF crew represent

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

carmack's InterView 28hd96 :eyepop:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the days of crt monitors that were always smaller than the advertised size because they measured the size of the tube including what was covered by the bezel, so that 17 inch monitor was only 15.9 inches of usable space

there was a time when a 21" monitor was a sight to behold, mainly because it often cost more than the computer it was connected to

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
don’t forget about the best monitor ever made, the Sony fw900

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

don’t forget about the best monitor ever made, the Sony fw900

:agreed:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

tacops mod was better than cs

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

The_Franz posted:

the days of crt monitors that were always smaller than the advertised size because they measured the size of the tube including what was covered by the bezel, so that 17 inch monitor was only 15.9 inches of usable space

there was a time when a 21" monitor was a sight to behold, mainly because it often cost more than the computer it was connected to

many moons ago i was super proud of these

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i still have a large 20" sun compatible relic. still has a good picture and i see no need to get rid of it, so it stays in storage mostly and sometimes i'll play 90s games on it
i don't know about actually using one regularly in 2k19

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
they’re good if you like x-rays in your face I guess

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
that’s how i got my shitposting poweres

the imminent huh
Apr 6, 2016

flakeloaf posted:

900NF crew represent

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i had a giant 22” crt monitor that took me and my roommate both to lift. i think it weighed 7000 pounds

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

fart simpson posted:

i had a giant 22” crt monitor that took me and my roommate both to lift. i think it weighed 7000 pounds

You sure you're not thinking of a time you fell down and he had to help you up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

TOOT BOOT posted:

yes

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

GreatMrPopo posted:

hated this poo poo! i want my midi musics when i play my tyrian!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOaiVeK5AhI

pram
Jun 10, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
translation error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Super hyped CD games like 7th Guest and Phantasmagoria

being pretty hyped by audio tracks playing from ps1 CDs. “na na na na na” tony hawk

developing an early and long lived desire for more ram. when my friends dad gave me 4x4mb simms (?) so I could upgrade my 486 DLC-40 to 20mb I was so excited

then later attempting to use some weird riser board so I could insert those sticks in an early Pentium with EDO ram

Buyin a 4x CD-rom, loving up installing it, then the nice peeps in the shop fixing it and replacing my 170mb HDD with a 540mb :nz::pcgaming: