Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for February, 2019?
This poll is closed.
:fut: Hiroshi Tanahashi (FORMER IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 2 2.33%
:joel: Switchblade Jay White (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 25 29.07%
:anarchists: Daniel Bryan (WWE Champion) 44 51.16%
Asuka (Smackdown Women's Champion) 2 2.33%
:lsd: Johnny Impact (Impact World Champion) 1 1.16%
:baby: Kaito Kiyomiya (GHC Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:corrupt: Ronda Rousey (Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 5 5.81%
:boom: Miyu Yamashita (TOKYO Princess of Princess Champion) 6 6.98%
:drat: Daisuke Sasaki (FORMER KO-D Champion) 0 0%
:kiddo: Konosuke Takeshita (KO-D Champion) 0 0%
:jiggled: Can't See A Good Champion (None of the Above) 1 1.16%
Total: 86 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well despite the guy running this poll deciding to get sidetracked and forgetting to actually remind people to vote OR that the poll had ended, we still got Rowdy Ringsports' Pro-Wrestling Champion for January in the books, and it was not all that surprising that it was Hiroshi Tanahashi! Daniel Bryan put up a good effort and was even leading at times, but the Ace's return to the top of the mountain in New Japan was too good for the majority to pass up and he was back in the winner's circle for these polls for the first time since October of 2014!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:fut: Hiroshi Tanahashi (FORMER IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Tanahashi's long climb back to the top had a fairytale climax when he defeated Kenny Omega at the Tokyo Dome in January. Unfortunately for him February saw him brought crashing back to reality when he was once again gotten the better of by leader of the Bullet Club and all-around scumbag Switchblade Jay White.

:joel: Switchblade Jay White (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - White keeps on being proven right, as again and again he has gotten the better of New Japan's heroes and legends and never failed to rub people's faces in it. After beating Tanahashi to end his return to the top of the company, Switchblade was delighted to sit back and bask in the glory of becoming champion at the age of only 26. He's not going looking for challengers, let them come to him after going through a grueling New Japan Cup! Though he will face Will Ospreay in a non-title Champion vs. Champion match at the Anniversary Show in March.

:anarchists: Daniel Bryan (WWE Champion) - Daniel Bryan had a tough but successful month, as he faced a gauntlet match in which he was the first to lose against surprise entrant Kofi Kingston, then had to fight through 4 challengers (including Kofi) to retain his title in an Elimination Chamber match. All he wants to do is explain to people how awful they are and how he's the Champion the planet needs, but the likes of Kofi Kingston and now Kevin Owens keep getting in the way!

Asuka (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Despite defeating Becky Lynch to retain her title last month, and having some apparent excellent matches against Charlotte on the House Show circuit, Asuka has largely been absent from television in February in spite of frequently being advertised as set to appear to find a new challenger. That challenger finally came in the form of Mandy Rose, who defeated Asuka in her only televised match for February.

:lsd: Johnny Impact (Impact World Champion) - Johnny started the month forced to team with upcoming opponent Cage against Killer Kross and Moose, which did not go well for either man and Kross and Moose added to the Uncaged special event. Johnny was able to retain when he managed to pin Moose just before Cage got get the pinfall on Kross, and the two seemingly were on the same side towards the end of the month as Johnny helped Cage take out both Kross and Moose who were aiming for a shot at Johnny.

:baby: Kaito Kiyomiya (GHC Heavyweight Champion) - The youngest ever GHC Champion continued his reign by defeating Masa Kitamiya. With NOAH's new owners moving away from the logo and green mat of Mitsuharu Misawa and a formidable challenge from Naomichi Marufuji on March 10th, perhaps now is the time for the young champion to move away from the tribute act and become his own man. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI

:corrupt: Ronda Rousey (Raw Women's Champion) - Ronda's title defenses played second fiddle to her ongoing feud with Becky Lynch and the drama around Charlotte taking Becky's place at Vince McMahon's behest, and Becky taking it out on both Ronda and Charlotte. Still, during that time she managed to have both a squash match with Ruby Riott on a PPV as well as a far more competitive one on Raw, before confronting Stephanie McMahon and seemingly laying down the title for being worthless if she couldn't face Becky at Wrestlemania.

Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) - After teaming with Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kazuchika Okada at New Japan/ROH's Honor Rising Night 1 show, Lethal defended his title successfully against TK O'Ryan on Night 2.

Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Miyahara had a genuine MOTY level title defense vs. Suwama on the 24th you should all watch if you can. In addition he headlined the Giant Baba Memorial Show with Daisuke Sekimoto against Hiroshi Tanahashi and Yoshi-Tatsu. Thanks to Thauros

:boom: Miyu Yamashita (TOKYO Princess of Princess Champion) - The Megachamp is still here! Beating Nodoka Tenma to continue her record breaking reign, Miyu has laid down a challenge to Yuka Sakazaki to prove that she is the true face of TJPW ahead of Yuka representing the company at Double or Nothing. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI

:drat: Daisuke Sasaki (FORMER KO-D Champion) - The King of Losers finally lived up to his name as even renouncing his "face turn" wasn't enough to hold onto his championship in Sumo Hall. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI

:kiddo: Konosuke Takeshita (KO-D Champion) - The Future of DDT has reclaimed his position at the top but with a title defence against Wrestle-1's Jiro Ikemen Kuroshio, Meiko Satomura and the rest of Sendai Girls gunning for him, a challenge laid down to AEW's Kenny Omega and a New York rematch with the former champion, Daisuke Sasaki looming, has the young champion bitten off more than he can chew? Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI

:jiggled: Can't See A Good Champion (None of the Above) - If you've looked to the left and to the right and you still can't see a Champion you want to vote for, vote None of the Above!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Voting for the Knife Pervert. Sad to say, but I've forgotten about the weed belt because the weed belt isn't in the hands of Kofi Kingston.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tough choice between Tanahashi and Bryan for me, but I gave Bryan the edge this month because I've been enjoying his deranged, angry character a hell of a lot and he's been a great contrast/spoiler to Kofi.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Breathe with the Switchblade

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Bryan is a corporate bootlicking shill posing as a leftist. The switchblade era starts now

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I don't give a poo poo and i voted for jay white because he looks like a dumb rear end

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not voting for Plan B Kenny Omega.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I'm not voting for Plan B Kenny Omega.

There'll be plenty of time to do that when he ends up better than Omega in like a year

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
He's already a better, more interesting champion than Kenny was.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Breathe With The Weed Belt

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

Breathe With The Weed Belt

It is currently all tied up, and a bunch of high people now have knives.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Shout out to the other goon that voted for :boom: Miyu :boom:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Stop voting for Daniel and vote for the troll option of the unfulfilled champion who isn't that interesting or good "yet" and looks even stupider than Daniel.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

...Ronda Rousey!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

J-Ro posted:

:boom:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

J-Ro posted:

I voted Miyu as a default as I think Jay White as an experiment isn't going to work. They can't catch lightning in a bottle twice like Okada via the upstart title reign after really unimpressive matches or the fact he is just clearly where he is because Kenny went stateside.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Gedo has proved he can pretty much do anything after making people get excited for an Iizuka match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It is basically the halfway point of voting and Bryan is starting to pull ahead, but it's certainly not a done deal yet for Switchblade.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Vote weedbelt.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I voted for Switchblade but then I remembered I actually wanted to vote for WEED BELT now that it's still a possibility. I'm sorry

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I voted for Switchblade. I'm not sorry

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Bryan hasn't had the Champion Of The Month rub in this run, and that's the most significant rub of them all. Also, he's 100% right, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Switchblades aren't even legal in Japan or New Zealand.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Switchblades aren't even legal in Japan or New Zealand.

There's a day left to vote, not enough time for us to overturn legislation in either of those two countries but enough time for you (yes, YOU!) to vote.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i will NEVER breathe with the switch blade!!!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The switchblade looks like a baby face in that his face looks like he is literally a backyarder teen baby and i cannot take that seriously and thats not even including that his entire gimmick is the narrator in Stan

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

kentooo

track down that match, easily the best match of the year so far i saw on video rather than in person

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Today is the last day to vote, so vote!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Voting should end in roughly 6 hours from now, get yours votes in non-Americans (and American insomniacs!)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I already did.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
voted bryan and weed belt because he had a great elimination chamber and is really cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Daniel Bryan returns as Champion of the Month for the first time since April of 2014, which was after his incredible title win at Wrestlemania 30. Of course, for a long stretch of that time we thought his career was over and he was at best going to be a (hilarious, no-fucks-giving) authority figure. But he's back, he's a heel, he's the Champion again and it's all pretty goddamn great. His closest competitor was another heel, the despicable sack of poo poo Jay White who ruined Okada and Tanahashi's good times over the last year. Could this be the start of another multiple months run for Bryan (not seen on these polls since 2012, and before that 2006)? Or will this be another one-off before somebody else gets hot or pulls off a legendary title run like Okada in 2017/18? Only time will tell, but February of 2019's is Daniel Bryan, the Planet's Champion!

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.