Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What are the essential korean tv shows/movies from the crop that are on Netflix right now? I always see the thumbnails when I'm browsing but it's tough to gauge their quality now the reviews are gone. I don't really care about genre, just quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

I have Canadian Netflix so I'm not too sure what would be available to you, but here's a super informal list I made years ago to recommend Korean movies to friends. They're mostly all really enjoyable unless it says otherwise. Hopefully this is ok to post:

Field Mousepad posted:

Train to Busan is really good

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Kingdom is a decent enough historical drama that happens to have zombies in it.

I started out enjoying Black, but they end up really padding out the plot, so it gets really convoluted near the end. Also it ends with the worst old person make-up I have ever seen.

Rubicon posted:

Movie:
Train to Busan is a really good zombie movie.

I've heard really good things about Rampart and Burning.

TV:
Kingdom
Memories of the Alhambra <--interesting concept, but the main character isn't super likable.

kind of sad Strong Woman Do Bong Soon isn't on netflix anymore. It was cute.

If you have Hulu and Amazon Prime, I have a few more suggestions.

Nice, that should keep me busy for a while.

I should mention that one of the few Korean movies I've seen was Punch - a heartstring tugger about a wayward kid and a foul mouthed teacher with a heart of gold - I recommend it if it's streaming anywhere.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Mandalorian is fun. The only bit I really didn't like so far was the introduction of all the other Mandalorians with different suits and gadgets. Getting the armour upgraded felt pretty video-gamey as well. Fett was cool because he was the last of his kind/a true lone wolf etc.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Tainen posted:

This but I’ve been watching Banshee. It’s complete trash but I think I love it.
Banshee is actually great. I love the fight scenes in it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nihonniboku posted:

That guy was still behaving like a frat boy at 40, so I could understand why they did him. I didn't understand the 18 year old activist. She was so young, living in a group house with friends, and had experienced nothing challenging in life. She's 18, still figuring stuff out, and seemed very driven. They didn't even do that much with her. That one baffled me.

Also I've realized that as the show has gone on, Antoni has started behaving more and more strangely each season. I've realized that he's someone who is probably very naturally a very strange person, he's just more comfortable about showing it 4 (?) seasons in. He's someone who has just benefited greatly in life from being ridiculously good looking.

I can forgive the bad episodes because the Tyreek episode was awesome.

Antony on the other hand...he wouldn't be out of place in an episode of Hannibal these days.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Eurovision could've been good but it just didn't land with me. The biggest laugh came when I saw Edinburgh's revised geography.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Simone Magus posted:

I live in Ireland and I'm female and it's pretty weird to me how the word is considered in America tbh. Everyone says it

Here in Scotland it's practically a term of endearment.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah I didn't like Psycho Goreman much either because of that intentionality. I laughed a lot more watching Beastmaster on prime the other day.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The X-man cometh posted:

Is Coming 2 America any good? I liked the first one but this looks like it could be a boring rehash.

It's ok. Not hilarious, but pretty entertaining. Snipes is solid again in a comedic role.

I feel like the reverse fish out of water with his son coming to Wak...Zamunda doesn't work as well as the prince in Queens did in the first movie.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

mcmagic posted:

I'm about to start season 6 of Line of Duty which I'm told is last season of Game of Thrones level awful. The show has definitely gotten worse as they run out of characters to make "bent coppers" because there are just not that many characters that anyone gives a poo poo about.
How bad season 6 is kinda depends on whether it's the last season ever or not. If it's the end of the series as a whole it's very disappointing, but if there's more to come it's probably the worse season so far, but not absolute dogshit.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

regulargonzalez posted:

Has anyone watched Rebecca on Netflix? I'm coincidentally reading the book and it's amazing. I feel like with all the gothic density someone like David Lynch could have knocked an adaptation out of the park but I'm less certain about a more straightforward treatment.

It's ok, but not as good as the book. I was quite disappointed because I really like the director normally.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Field Mousepad posted:

Children of Men is a solid 7 ish

I liked it but it wasn't as good as everyone said it was.

Children of Men is definitely a 10 if you think of it as a documentary about post Brexit Britain.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I liked the first season of HaCF. The other seasons are better, but S1 is still good TV.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Mythic Quest is weird. I find the regular episodes mediocre, but both the flashback episodes I've seen are very good, way better than the rest of the show. I'd rather have a season of mini Halt and Catch Fire style creative struggle vignettes than a workplace comedy.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Squid Game was fun.

I really didn't understand why he went with that hairstyle near the end though. Was it a reference to something?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The only other time I've seen it is in the only other k-drama I've watched recently: Itaewon Class, which was also pretty good.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I can't get into Vincenzo. Everyone is shouting at each other and the interactions feel really fake. I get that it's a silly show, it just isn't clicking with me. It's a shame because I am in the mood for a light hearted thing like this.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Google Butt posted:

Do you watch a lot of Korean stuff?

I've watched some: Itaewon Class, Extracurricular, Squid Game, My Name, and maybe others I'm forgetting. There's definitely similar over acting in all these, but Vincenzo is rubbing me the wrong way for some reason. Happy to hear recommendations though, since I liked all the series listed above.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The new matrix was extremely bad. I actually thought most of the acting was OK, but the writing, direction, and action choreography were awful. It made me want to rewatch the first movie, I guess.

I say this as someone who disliked the sequels and thought the Animatrix did much more interesting things in the universe.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Saying that Successions characters are meant to appeal to the audience is an interesting take.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Enjoying Archive 81 so far. Minor spoiler for the early episodes - does anyone think that the demon face in the static looks kinda cheesy and undermines a lot of the good work the show does in establishing a creepy atmosphere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Archive 81 was ultimately disappointing. I liked how most of it looked and a lot of the ideas were good, but I feel it didn't deliver on much of its early promise. I haven't listened to the podcast so I'm not sure where a second season would go.