Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I'm gonna watch the new season of Lost in Space, which IMO is an overall better show than Mando or the new Star Trek (which I haven't seen).

it is pretty much just like Season 1, so if you liked that, you'll be ok with this.

Formula is the same: every other episode a new wrinkle messes up the Robinson's Space Vacation. Queue the rotation of family members (including Smith) contributing a solution to this crisis. Each crisis usually spans two episodes.

I enjoy it for what it is. It isn't grimdark sci-fi; it is a family show. The kind of thing I'd have watched with my grandad when I was little. Like those Sunday night (Disney?) adventure shows in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've binged several drama series where I had the very specific feeling "drat, if I was watching this week to week I would have HATED this show."

Am I the only person who can't stand loving cliffhangers? Cheap pointless cliffhangers are the most annoying thing about appointment TV and the new "golden age" of dramas is loving rotten with them. Not every episode of a show has to be a chapter from a Goosebumps book!

That's why I was always a fan of the classic mini-series. Have a story tel tell, get it done, and it is over. No second season, no sequel, nothing.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, reminds me of Sunday night Disney stuff also. It's true to its roots (overall hokey for its time but Dr. Smith is an unsettling personality in both the old show and new one) but also feels like a show from the late 2010's.

My kid's still real young, so maybe that's why I don't see Mando as a family show. Maybe a dad and 10 year old son show. The murders in Mandalorian aren't as anonymous as in the OT Star Wars movies, I'm seeing figures get shot, stabbed, other stuff, at least one stormtrooper gets barbecued in his plastic armor. Sand people are people now, but Jawas (which again are on every planet I guess) are lesser I guess? I'm fine with it all, but being dumb, simple, and Star Wars doesn't make it family, it's a boy's show.

To clarify, I meant Lost in Space only. I haven't watched Mandalorian or the new Trek; so can't speak to those.

Speaking of unsettling: At some point I conflated all my old memories of the old Lost in Space show so that Anthony Perkins played Dr. Smith. I had at least a decade of "false" memories of just how hosed up he was as a character, mixing bits and pieces of Norman Bates in there. In my head now that's a pretty good show.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Haven't seen episode 3 yet to be able to tell anyone whether it's worth it!

It really isn't.

I thought ep 1 was turn the brain off fun. It is a Dracula story, I'm not expecting much.

Ep 2 was ok, focusing on the Demeter voyage that was just a footnote in the book was kind of different.

I actually liked his character for most of ep1 and parts of 2. They didn't try and make him dark, broody, sexy, sympathetic. I liked that he was an unapologetic bad guy.

Ep3 was just really, really bad. I don't think it even needs specific spoilers for story notes. It was just bad.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

My wife's laid up with lowtax back, basically bed-ridden and I've been working nights. I could faintly hear her watching this show that I finally had to watch because it sounded like an early 90s must see tv show mixed with late 90s touring in a punk band feverdream.

Raised by Wolves streaming on Amazon, Acorn sub. Lots of shows try to do the "disfunctional yet heart of gold parent" thing but this one resonates with me. Also great soundtrack.

And to whomever recommended Wellington Paranormal a few pages back, we both say huge thanks.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Mescal posted:

Derry Girls on Netflix (US) is quite good. If you liked Peep Show you'll probably like it.

If you like Derry Girls and if you have access to it, check out Raised by Wolves (Acorn subscription, Prime).

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Somehow I had never seen Bloodsport until it just now started streaming on Netflix. lol it rocks. I haven't seen a more unintentionally funny movie in a long time, its almost Best of the Worst material

Just fast forward to the good parts.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've read a half dozen of them, and I honestly don't ever remember him leaving the LA city limits.

In my head he was more like Det. Eckhardt from the first Tim Burton Batman than sexy Titus Welliver.

Which made the crossover with the Lincoln Lawyer books (that I associated with Matthew McConaughey) funny.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

Clueless is back on Netflix after being absent from any streaming service for a few years. It turns 25 years old this year, and still holds up.

*Clutching my worn cd of the Clueless Soundtrack*

"I'm not old. I'm not old."

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

nate fisher posted:

I guess that is coming from one was everywhere while the other felt like it got overshadowed. The Queen movie left me cold on it’s subject, while Rocketman connected on a more human level.

I feel like it is more a millennial or younger issue. My kids all loved the Queen movie, and once I got around to watching it I had to fake like I enjoyed it to my kids. I just didn’t want to piss all over their enjoyment and new found love of Queen.

Edit: By the way I’m 47. I do normally prefer Queen’s music to Elton John’s, but that is because 80’s Elton John was cheesy as hell to me growing up. Still I don’t think Queen ever wrote a song as good as Rocketman, Your Song, or Tiny Dancer.

It took me until this post to realize film in question was not, in fact, The Rocketeer.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Glottis posted:

Anyone else watching Raised By Wolves? It's so loving bonkers, I love it.

I wanted to link a video of the UK show, the scenes where Germaine discovers masturbation at her gran's funeral.

I know you guys are talking about the HBO show but I'm really mad the funny one was canned.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Party Down was the show that was so good that everyone got jobs on fancier shows and so Party Down died.

Did y'all see Burning Love? Was a riff on the Bachelor. Used to be streaming on US hulu but went away I think. That one made me laugh in the "stupid and absurd but just funny" way like Children's Hospital.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

fenix down posted:

Did the casting agents have Walter Sobchek in there checking everyone?

I read somewhere they checked people's social media accounts. One person had been posting pics walking on the beach that morning.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

The Wilds is interesting but I don’t know if I can handle this much teen angst.
It ends kind of on a dull fart. I've been recommending my friends stop wherever they're at.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Sir Not Appearing posted:

I just finished The Wilds last night and it's definitely the lamest cliffhanger I've ever seen. I think either the point where Leah found Nora talking to the camera in the tree or when she fell into the hole would have been a decent breaking points. Or if episode 10 was a few minutes longer and she was mid-escape and left us with her running toward civilization and wondering if she would make it. As is, it feels like they looked at the footage and said "oh, crap we're 15 minutes over. Let's just cut it here.

I kind of saw it as the writers were really into olympics. But instead of diving, more like figure skating commentators:

"The viewers are starting to wander here, Francis. They may be reaching for the remote bu... OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE THAT TWIST?"
"DOUBLE TWIST"
"Wait for it, the crowd will never see this coming... TRIPLE TWIST!!!"

I was watching it in a window while working through some refresher courses. 2 coworkers with me, our chat window has basically been a running count of how many crimes are being committed, with the early realization that the "research" team really thinks they're going to weasel out of this one by blackmailing minors to keep their mouth shut.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Also want to thank thread for the Alone recommendation. I'm on S1E7.

lol at this Alan guy from Georgia. At first I was irritated at him for trying to be some kind of low-rent TV personality. Then after a few days I realize he's just the kind of guy who can't shut up. After 3 weeks he's reciting poetry.

Meanwhile there's 2 guys on the island who are constantly moaning, or crying. One guy who gets very little screentime, but he's straight out of gooncamp. Personality to match. But he's hilarious. Everyone else is like "we're gonna die out here" and he's just playing a game, apparently having a blast. At one point he says his day to day diet is either pizza or pizza rolls. The screen trivia compares the # of calories of a pizza roll versus a field mouse. He also left a pregnant wife at home. I hate to say I imagine this is their best financial prospect.

Shame on me for judging people. But those first couple to leave I was so happy.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Listening to Cats as I launch into a 5 car pile-up, this movie is for the birds!

A few years back, I was in the field with a really diverse crew. Ages, orientation, race, where/how we grew up, we were all over the map.

Hour commute to work every morning. Every day was an argument about music. One day they all get out of the truck in a good mood for the first time in a week. They finally found something to listen to that offended no one.

It was the Shrek 2 soundtrack.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

DorianGravy posted:

I just watched Solarbabies on Amazon Prime. Man, there sure is a lot of rollerskating in the post-apocalypse! The movie is really cheesy, and it's a mix of Mad Max, Rollerball, and hip 80s kids on rollerskates. If you're a fan of these sorts of movies, it might be worth a watch. Anybody else watch this?

Yeah, on premium cable when it came out. About 100 times. Now to make 101.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Stuck in a hotel trying to sleep days to work nights, so mostly laying in bed streaming and napping. Hotels are noisy during daylight hours.

Immortals on Paramount+ is so very bad. I don't even know where to begin. I slept through most of the third act and I don't care to know what I missed. Please don't watch it.

I'm finishing up The Stand, and next stop is to finish the last third of The Leftovers. It has been a few years since I paused my watch, but I remember really liking it at least.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

The Austin Powers movies are not quite as hilarious as I remember them being when I was in the third grade.

I don't even have that excuse, I was in college when the first one came out.

Rewatched the first one a couple of weeks ago and had some laughs. Second one in the background while cooking, couple of cringe moments, I guess.

Third one I couldn't get through at all. So bad.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

Wellington Paranormal on HBO is a good crime documentary/procedural if you need a new one, they get the cameramen right in with the officers for some incredible cases. Gritty, violent, and doesn't hold back, even in back room discussions where the real police work happens.

Want to second this one. This thread introduced me to that one last winter.

I just found out there was a 3rd season so we're watching those in the evenings. We're not streaming though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I know there is another hotly anticipated continuation of a series playing in box offices and on your streaming sets but...There's a Reno 911 vs QAnon on Paramount+.

It has a better script, acting, inside jokes for the fans, fight scenes (some of the same choreography) , and closing credit scene.