Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Tim Whatley posted:

Did Hulu purposely bury Reprisal ?

I guess it came out a month ago but I heard nothing about it. Caught a trailer on YouTube and I'm digging it a lot. It has Ron Perlman!

The season ends like a wet fart, easily one of the more disappointing things I have seen on tv this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

precision posted:

Rename thread The Patrick Wilson Appreciation Station

I am 90% certain we had a Patrick Wilson appreciation thread like five years ago so more proof that time is a flat circle I guess

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Deadite posted:

John Gabrus of the actionboyz podcast described Bosch as “for dads, by dads” and it’s stuck in my head anytime I hear about the show

Bosch and Longmire are my go to dad shows and it is the best description for them

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I did the free week of Cinemax to watch Contagion and forgot to cancel it so now I paid 10 bux for another month of this crap. Anything worth watching on there in the meantime to not feel l just flushed a tenner down the toilet?

Banshee and Strike Back

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Midgetskydiver posted:

ROME is top shelf viewing because it has one of the all time best protagonist bromance duos. Seriously, it doesn't get any better than Vorenus and Pullo. The ending feels so earned.

Stonebridge and Scott in strike back are a little better but Rome is an absolutely amazing show. Also strike back is streaming on prime and everyone should watch it

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Simone Magus posted:

I mean, he is Australian

It's a term of endearment from where he is from

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Pulled the ultimate rube move and subbed to AMC and Peacock premium for a free week on the same day, watched one thing on peacock, nothing on AMC and forgot to cancel. Might as well have flushed a $20 bill down the toilet. I guess I have 30 days to try and get my $$$ worth out of this crap now.

I keep meaning to check out Gangs of London on AMC. It's by the guy that did The Raid if that's your thing.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This Warrior show that just got posted to HBO Max is sick as gently caress

A show based on writings by Bruce Lee and by the creator of Banshee and director of Fast 5 is pretty much a combination of my favorite things and yeah it kicks so much rear end.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

meanolmrcloud posted:

Is there anything in the 1/2 hour length worth watching? We just had a newborn and committing to hour long serialized stuff is tricky. We’ve gotten thru avatar, and have already done bojack and probably want to stay away from most anime.

Last baby we rewatched Psych. Little longer than a half hour but if you have to get up you won't miss anything.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

YESSSSS.

The last episode of that show kicked so much rear end and I was super sad that was it. There is an awesome bruce lee homage in it (granted the whole show is one) and it was just awesome. I can't wait.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Ok....I am watching Sicario: Day of the Soldado. There is an entire lengthy scene of Benicio Del Toro's character with the coyotes....and they are speaking entirely in spanish. Should there be subtitles going on for this? There isn't and I feel like I am missing something. It's been going on for several minutes now.....

I think with that movie they were trying to go with the perspective of characters and the audience being observers to stuff that they don't understand. I think that kind of worked with the major humvee fight where the camera is showing what the little kid would see but it doesn't work or is really inconsistent for the rest of the movie. Regardless if what I am trying to say makes sense, I loved Sicario and was super bummed that day of the soldat didn't live up to it.

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 6, 2021

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

pootiebigwang posted:

Randomly decided to start The Shield as I've never seen it and I am a little over half way through S2 and this show is just bonkers. I recently did a re-watch of The Wire which I think made the first few episodes of The Shield feel incredibly jarring. The Wire is just so grounded and The Shield is just so bombastic that it took a few episodes to really gel with how they wanted to tell their story. But I'm all in now. I hear it does nothing but ramp up from here on out which has me hyped because S2 has been pretty crazy so far. Armadillo is the perfect sadistic antagonist for Vic to go after so I hope there are some more characters like that who really push Vic to his limits.

I am doing a rewatch now as well, its easily one of my favorite shows ever. And yeah Forest Whitaker showing up rules but the Glenn Close and Anthony Anderson season is awesome. Also it gave us Frank Grillo and Walton Goggins

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Simone Magus posted:

I still say 28 Weeks Later is underrated and I'm sad we never got 28 Years Later

I really don't like zombie movies but the opening of 28 Weeks Later is one of the tensest scenes in any movie ever and I love it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
The Tomorrow War is really not good, the acting is really really bad (with the exception of JK Simmons), the science montages are filmed like they are from a bad 90s tv show and the movie itself feels like it's several different movies cut together but holy poo poo the future war scenes filled me with a sense of dread that I haven't felt from a movie in some time. Its an almost recommend just for that (but holy poo poo it's so long...)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Alchenar posted:

It's amazing how J.K Simmons can take about 6 lines of bad dialogue and a humdrum action sequence and still somehow turn in a performance that feels legitimately good.

And compare Chris Pratt's acting with when he first meets him to the scene right after where he is talking to his daughter. Simmons definitely pulled Pratt up closer to his level because holy poo poo the daughter scene was like something out of a high school play.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I thought that several times as well, like when they showed ammo in the mags I just kept thinking why weren't they using green tipped armor piercing rounds

Edit god why am I even trying to analyze this movie.

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 3, 2021

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Medullah posted:

My biggest issue with it is that they're able to quickly convince the entire world to band together and send soldiers to the future, but there's no way they can convince everyone to squash it in the present. Yeah there's the line of "The UN will talk about it forever", but come on...

I would have even been fine with "Well, the US Army is on board so we're sending a squad in with you, but we want to keep it quiet so China and Russia don't use it as a weapon" rather than the two soldiers. Oh well.

I mean or they have that toxin now so how is Pratt able to walk off a military base with it instead of turning it over to the military who then spends the next thirty years making a shitload of weapons with it and then the war is over in a half day

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

teagone posted:

I tried watching Gunpowder Milkshake but couldn't stand the way all the actors were delivering their lines, lol. I also finished Resident Evil Infinite Darkness. poo poo was trash.

I couldn't finish it either, it was just really boring and it was obvious that they were trying to set up a series of movies so the stakes for the movie just felt really low.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

thatfuturekid posted:

Just got done watching Snake Eyes (1998) and now I’m in the mood for more over the top 90s thrillers that are maybe less know.

Blown Away has Tommy Lee Jones and Jeff Daniels and it rules.

Or Live Wire where Pierce Brosnan fights a clown that is about to explode.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

withak posted:

The books are fine if you know what you are getting in to.

Yeah I read the entire series last year since with Covid and my wife being pretty sick I needed something where I could just turn my brain off and know that no matter what happens in the book, it will end with Reacher punching the bad guys to death.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I mean yeah nothing with the books is correct, the author is British so anything gun related makes no sense, Reacher is so muscular a bullet bounced off his chest, a special forces CID unit makes no sense and every book follows the same pattern where stuff gets worse and worse and then he punches all the bad guys to death and it's great.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
And lost one fight when he was like five and swore to never lose one again so he became a world class street fighter. And only has an ATM card that he uses to take 20 bucks out at a time so he can buy a set of clothes he wears for a few days and then throws out. God it's so dumb and I love it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
That's weird, I get all the local channels with Sling which is why I use it for football season. Then I have my separate paramount app if the games are on CBS and then the NBC app for Sunday night. It is a massive massive pain and yeah I have no idea why local channels don't just stream for free. For whatever reason I had a digital antenna that worked great and then one season just stopped picking up any channels. I even bought a brand new one but couldn't get anything.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

nonathlon posted:

Can't agree with the first point, but it is surprising that they couldn't get a franchise of some sort out of Clive Cussler. Hadn't the series now passed on to Dirk's children, Dirk Jr and Summer Pitt?

It was briefly discussed in the make fun of Clive Cussler thread in GBS but apparently Cussler was such a raging rear end in a top hat that he and the studios were suing each other for like ten years after Sahara.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

nonathlon posted:

Does Hell On Wheels develop well? I watched the first 2 episodes and it failed to grab me, perhaps because of the lead actor.

I watched the majority of it since I like westerns but it's purely "dad" tv. It also gets pretty stupid at parts and likes killing off the female characters for no reason. Also I haven't seen it in years but I am fairly confident that Common's story arc ends with him thinking he is a bear and then dying in a fistfight

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Class Warcraft posted:

Watching Nobody and Riders of Justice in the same week was an interesting experience. Both were advertised as John Wick-style revenge/rampage tales, but really couldn’t be any more different.

Riders of Justice explores why we seek violence to cover our trauma, instead of confronting it. It’s one of the most interesting movies I’ve seen in the last couple years.

Then you’ve got Nobody which is so resistant to introspective it almost feels like an unfunny satire of a John wick movie.

I love Riders of Justice and recommend it any chance I get. Probably my favorite movie from the last ten years.

I feel like Nobody would have been better if instead of having him freeze up at the beginning, it had him attempt to fight back and just get his rear end kicked because of an unlucky slip or lucky hit from the home invaders. Then the bus fight could have been an attempt to regain his confidence instead of making it some middle age white guy power fantasy and the movie could have gone from there.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
One of my favorite movies from the last ten years is now streaming on Hulu. I really hate to use terms like "deconstruction" but Riders of Justice staring Mads Mikkelsen is just absolutely fantastic and really not the revenge thriller that the trailer makes it out to be. It's also darkly funny (I honestly wouldn't know how to classify the movie) and has some really strong supporting performances.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I had a nice morning planned watching The Harder They Fall but now I have actual work to do and it's making me sad. Saw 20 minutes of it though and it's really good

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

I had a nice morning planned watching The Harder They Fall but now I have actual work to do and it's making me sad. Saw 20 minutes of it though and it's really good

Finished it. This movie rocks. One of the best westerns to come out in years with an absolutely stacked cast. Beautifully shot as well. Even if you don't like westerns check it out.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Warrior is by the director of Fast 5 and the creator of Banshee so somehow the universe tapped directly into my brain to create it. Fantastic show.

People already said The Raid movies but Headshot and The Night Comes for us is by the same stunt team for those movies and they are just brutal action movies. Also head over to the action thread for tons more recommendations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

With Sheridan I feel like the greatness of Sicario seems weirder and weirder as I see each of his projects and how uncreative and predictable they are. Like, even the one I liked(Hell or High Water) is still a pretty standard story that never really deviates from what's expected. And I'm definitely in the "Wind River is mediocre at best" camp, I never really got the love for that movie. I actually enjoyed Those That Wish Me Dead more than Wind River.

So where did Sicario come from?

Sicario probably works for you since you are more of an outsider throughout the movie. Sheridan is good at giving sympathy to unlikable people so in Sicario 2 when you are just stuck with Del Toro and Brolin it doesn't work well. I don't think you are actually supposed to like most of the characters in his movies/show but Americans are dumb so you get lots of Yellowstone manly memes.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
If the main character in Warrior kicking the poo poo out of two ice agents 30 seconds into the first episode doesn't do it for you, you probably won't enjoy the show.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

nonathlon posted:

Watching Harder They Fall and finding it a mixed experience. The film looks good, and I'm interested in the story. But there's a huge cast of badasses and endless scenes of them posing menacingly and then being badasses and humiliating non-badasses ... It feels like it needs to be dialed back at least 50%

Honestly that's one of the things I loved about the movie. I love westerns but pretty much all modern ones are just dour ultra serious slogs so it was nice to have one that was actually fun to watch.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Also he is a huge racist and they apparently had to edit around him dropping the n word a lot

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

This looks like something out of an early 90s fmv game.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Jerkface posted:

This is way more of how i envisioned Reacher than the Tom Cruise version TBH, I've read most of the Reacher books and they were just the most garbagey schlocky stuff but you can't say they didn't define what a Reacher should be and tiny rear end tom cruise was not it.

He's supposed to have hands the size of dinner plates!!

Pictured, the perfect actor for Jack Reacher

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Hmmm, I'll add that to my list. Just watched Johnny To's Throw Down on the Criterion Channel and it was amazing. Slick, funny, neon-soaked, stylish, emotional dudes just loving judo and flipping/throwing each other on the ground, just some faaantastic choreography and camerawork too. Sometimes a lil corny (keep an eye out for the Gilette product placement lol) but a definite recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A79FMoOGyvo

This looks awesome so thank you for this post. Adding it to my watchlist now

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like Bebop and I think the hate it’s getting online is really overblown and kinda stupid. It’s a fun enjoyable show and the cast works well together.

Mustafa Shakir as Jet might be the absolute best thing about the show. I’d watch a whole prequel series just about him wearing detective clothes and talking about future space jazz.

I have honestly never watched any anime, just never was that interested but my wife and I are enjoying it as well. Kind of an easy show to just sit and turn your brain off.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

It's a show that I watched that I remember nothing about

I was going to post this, aside from Michael Shannon being in it I couldn't tell you anything about the plot or other characters. (except for the super annoying Irish guy who I only remember for being annoying)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

Based on reddit, it looks like suburban wannabee rural maga morons LOVE Yellowstone! Bootstraps! Own the city libs! Trumper fi!

Yeah I was going to say boomer/maga Facebook is filled with manly quotes superimposed over pictures of Rip (god what a dumb name) looking all serious and manly

Apologies if your name is actually Rip, it's still a stupid name