Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

OldTennisCourt posted:

If you like horror then I HIGHLY recommend Savageland on Prime. It's found footage BUT it's done in the much easier to digest documentary style rather than shaky cam.

It also has one of the coolest and most unique methods of presenting it's scares I've seen in a long while and takes a normally style idea and makes it legitimately one of the most chilling and creepy films I've seen in years.

Go into it totally blind because the slow discovery of what it's about is one of it's biggest delights.

I want to check this out but you have to tell me, is it Slenderman? You don't have to tell me what it is just if it's Slenderman or not, because I've had it up to here with Slenderman stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Cool I'll give it a shot.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

fenix down posted:

What about Boardwalk Empire? (I'm adding some stuff to my HBO watch list as well)

Definitely one of weaker HBO dramas that never really lived up to the potential of it's pedigree. Without a doubt it has it's moments but Steve Buscemi just doesn't have the sheer force of personality that gave The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Deadwood, et al. that magnetic pull that keeps the other characters (and viewers) in his orbit. He's just kinda peevish and inscrutable for most of the show.

But the costumes, sets, music, acting (mostly), and historical bits of flair were all pretty flawless. I'd say if season one grabs you give it a shot, it more or less stays pretty consistent overall.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is Triple Frontier worth a spin?

Maybe? It starts out pretty promising but it's kind of a slog. It's the kind of movie that confuses drama with endless bickering and most of the obstacles the characters face come from their own idiotic and out of character decisions.

The raid on the mansion and watching Ben Affleck become unhinged with greed were pretty good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Was it? It feels like lazy writing when conflict arises because some highly trained, highly capable guys make bone-headed decisions and start coming apart at the seams almost immediately. Especially considering they pull of the heist without breaking a sweat and things are humming along according to plan and then they just knowingly overload their helicopter and drive it into the side of a mountain while they're still deep in enemy territory. Maybe I could forgive that stuff if the movie was working better for me, but I have a very low tolerance for cinematic bickering.

Maybe that is making some kind of point about something but I don't really care, an interesting story is more important to me personally.

Edit: I will say that another thing I liked about the movie is that there was waaaay less macho posturing in the "meet the guys" section than these types of movies usually indulge in.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 18, 2019

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

The Clovehitch Killer (Hulu) is really good. A kid finds stuff around his house that makes him suspect his dad (Dylan McDermott) is a serial killler. The story is pretty straightforward but the acting and tone are both great. Very tense movie. The killer was heavily inspired by BTK.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I think all of us film nerds talking in 2019 on a bulletin board named after a fairly obscure 80s Italian love-letter to cinema tend to forget how little the general public actually engages with anything but the most popular of media. Like, it's easy to default to Friends and The Office if you have no interest in exploring anything more nuanced than background TV.

There's also the fact that people like to "hang out" with familiar characters and settings even if the comedy isn't exactly on the cutting edge, and even people as *sophisticated* as we are sometimes just want comfort TV that goes down smooth. There's nothing wrong with putting on background TV while you get ready for bed or do your homework or whatever. Not everything has to be The Americans all the time.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

I dunno about background noise or w/e but having this kind of a parasocial relationship with made up people as an adult seems weird to me

Which is why I put "hang out" in quotes, it's not like people think they're actual friends with Jim and Pam. Movies are described as "hangout movies" all the time and it's not weird, nor is it weird when books "transport" you to another world. Those Lord of the Rings movies are mad boring but I would imagine that a lot of the appeal of them is "visiting" Middle Earth for nine-plus hours.

Just because The Office or Friends have mass appeal and offer simple pleasures doesn't mean the people who like them are childish or delusional.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Keith Atherton posted:

Started watching Mission Impossible: Fallout

I’ve only seen the first two and the second one had me going “enough with the loving masks”

20 minutes into the new one - oh gently caress it was a guy wearing a mask!

MI:2 way overused the masks and has taken tons of criticism for it, but for the next four movies they toned it down and found more interesting ways to use them. That scene in Fallout was an intentional nod to the opening scene in the first Mission Impossible, so if all you've seen are 1 and 2, I can see why that would be annoying.

There's another mask gag in Fallout that is executed perfectly and people in my theater gasped when it happened.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Medullah posted:

Anyone checked out Goliath season 3? I absolutely loved the first season, but the second was a little meh, though Patty is still a fantastic character.

It's a lot more like the second season than the first, and the quality dips a bit. I liked it because of Billy Bob and Patty but I can see a lot of people not.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I was watching The Omen 3 on Netflix one night and I paused it to go get a beer from the kitchen and when I came back it was gone. Turns out I paused it right before midnight.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

So Dracula is way more Sherlock season four than Sherlock season two, is what I'm hearing, right?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Medullah posted:

I mean, it doesn't bother me that they release it all at one time, but there is something to be said about the watercooler discussion. Every Monday at work we'd all talk about the Mandolorian, you lose that when it's all at one time. Sure people could watch it one episode a week when it's dropped all at once, but that's not the real reason why weekly works.

This is why I like the scheduled release too. When Game of Thrones was good that was 10 weeks of watching, talking about and thinking about the show, anticipating the next episode, being in the same shared experience as everyone else who tunes in to watch it. When it's all dropped at once it turns into five minutes of "have you watched Sneaky Pete?" "Yeah I finished it last weekend. It's not bad."

Just because some people want ice cream for dinner doesn't make Netflix a hero for giving it to them.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Martman posted:

Ok, the crappy new Doom movie was a little bit more fun than I expected. The action is terrible, but I could see a sequel being more functional if they had an actual budget.

Christ, is this what it's come to? The action in this action movie was terrible, but if it gets a bigger budget sequel it might actually rise to the level of "functional". Check it out!

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 13, 2020

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

pahuyuth posted:

Penn Jillette's daughter is named Moxie Crimefighter Jillette

I've never checked out Altered Carbon. Maybe after I'm done with Hunters

Do you like R-rated Batman & Robin (1997) mixed with bad 90's Sci-Fi Channel original series? Because that's what the show felt like to me, corny and graceless, but I seem to be in the minority on this one so give it a shot I guess.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I agree except I do sort of like it. I don't know if I'd argue it's great or good or something but 1997 Batman & Robin is insane and special and stuff with that kind of energy sometimes hits the spot.

I actually like Batman & Robin and would take it any day over Altered Carbon because at least it knows it's a cartoon. Altered Carbon seems to think it's dark and grown-up and "about ideas" but it's mostly just guys in goofy costumes repeating chichéd dialog and clobbering each other.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Gator is actually a sequel to White Lightening (available on Amazon) which is far better.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

can i get a recommendation for a light comedy show on netflix like "the office"?
i'm tired of the grim dark channel.
"parks and recs" suuuuuucks, i've tried a half dozen episodes and got maybe half a laugh. "master of none" is good, "galavant" is one of my favorites. just something that isn't people arguing or hating each other for a half hour

New Girl, it's not perfect but it's pretty funny and positive and has a lot of episodes.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

drat dude you sound like a loving badass!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The doc is really solid and spends probably just the right amount of time on each aspect of the cult’s history, so I was happy with it. I listened to Glynn Washington’s Heaven’s Gate podcast earlier this year and it obviously covers a lot of the same ground, but it’s more in depth and Washington provides his own personal context for the cult mentality and how it can be so difficult to break free. I’d definitely recommend it to anyone who watches the doc but wants to know more.

I like Glynn Washington but never knew this existed, thanks.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Looking for any and all recommendations for movies like

Puddle cruiser
The wash
How high
Beer fest
House party
The trap
How to be a player
School trip
Donnie darko
Don’t be a menace

Stuff like that ty

Dead Man on Campus
Van Wilder

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

HBO Max havers should check out The Yakuza (1974). Directed by Sydney Pollack and starring Robert Mitchum, it's a very solid crime movie set in Japan. There's a handful of decent action scenes and a few surprising twists and turns and lots of likable, interesting characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

In my opinion the fatal flaw of Boardwalk Empire was that Buscemi as Nucky just wasn't all that compelling. He was already the big fish in the small pond when the show started, and I never really got a sense of what was driving him other than his constant peevishness. I guess Baldwin would have been better?