Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The lifespan of climate change threads seems to be shrinking just like ours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

EvilJoven posted:

None of this would had happened if fungus that could break down dead plant matter didnt take millions of loving years to evolve after trees and poo poo popped up. There wiuldnt have even been amy oil or coal for us to hurn or turn into lovely disposable plastic goods.

We got owned by evolution.

This is the funniest part, like, are we double+ lucky/unlucky out of all sentient species in the universe? Impossible to know whether everyone gets handed the rope to tie their own noose, but it can't happen here again.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Wakko posted:

i know some of ya'll been missing that sweet, sweet doom

Sharp rise in Arctic temperatures now inevitable – UN

which, goes without saying, but spoiler: we will not be meeting the Paris agreement

lmao deaaaaaaaaathhhhhhhh

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

nobody's claiming that life will never again exist on this planet, only that we're on track to kill all life on the planet and undo the great oxygenation event, forcing the process to start over

Lol it's not _that_ bad. Definitely no large mammals very soon and a wipeout of most ocean life and insects but eventually big lizards will be back in style, we'll stop burning stuff/die well before we push the planet up and out of a hothouse state.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Our degree of ocean acidification will reach levels that are novel and have no good analogues in the paleoclimate record. Carbonate undersaturation could definitely add some pretty wild adaptive pressure on basic ocean producers, but whether we see adaptation or just endless extinction is up for debate.

depends on how quick we/civilization keel over and die from our own stupidity in one of a dozen areas, I imagine. Once the seas start rising and swallowing cities and all the assorted trash and poison in them everything in the ocean is good and dead anyway. poo poo's gonna get super weird but eh, life finds a way.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Homeless Friend posted:

Friendship ended with biosphere, now CONCRETE is my new friend

SAND has unfriended you!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I need a source on this amazeballs capitalist efficiency

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

General Dog posted:

Some protestor interrupts my commute, I don't care how righteous their cause is, I'm praying (and voting) for them to get the swiftest, hardest boot to the face imaginable.

I'mma keep you from going to work and this is the thanks I get?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

actionjackson posted:

I thought Borlaug essentially saved billions of (present and future) lives?

Yeah gently caress that guy.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Lol at the notion of collapse starting because heat/migration in the 50's when we have no idea what the gently caress is gonna happen with the seasons/weather/our ability to grow food once the Arctic ice is gone

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Mayor Dave posted:

If you eat food in 2019 gently caress you I hope you die

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does climate change influence where you are choosing to live? I'm in Florida and am thinking about buying a house but am obviously hesitant to do so, even inland. My parents live on a barrier island so I've already got that to worry about.

Where's the least hosed place to live? Michigan looks promising. Unlimited fresh water, far from the oceans, I don't think(?) it has a flooding or wildfire problem, and I guess those long winters are only getting shorter

It has a flooding problem. Hail and tornadoes gonna get worse too.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Addamere posted:

Quit drinking maybe but quit weed wtf

Unless you are the one in millions with an allergic reaction to cannabis then why would you do that

I'm somewhat allergic, but I don't let that stop me

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

A savings account? Your rich bastard.

Yeah I think it was pretty much "writing on the wall" that even my generation (if we are different generations) would never be allowed to retire. That was supposedly due to the old people draining all the security nets and leaving us with nothing though. Not ecological destruction.

Still, I go back and wonder about people saving for retirement these days. Between the looming feeling there would be nothing left, and now folks opening their eyes to the disaster all around us, what the gently caress is the point of stuffing money into a bank to supposedly get my hands on it in 50 years?

Literally the only reason is company matching. I'm getting that bonus cash for a couple years and I'll cash it out, take the tax hit, and put solar panels and an extra high torque low rpm electric motor on a bus to turtle around in as soon as I have enough to do so.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Maggot farmer

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Oxxidation posted:

outright killing the richest 20-25% of the human population would probably be necessary, since it would result in a tremendous emissions cut while still keeping enough people alive to prevent the immediate loss of global dimming

yes that would include you and me, hallelujah

Like the cow at The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, my only desire is to be delicious

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Shima Honnou posted:

It owns that as soon as the climate started tipping over everything went crazy lmao can't wait to see what hurricane season is like this year, hope Florida gets erased.

imo the Rubicon was crossed about 2014-2015 when the Arctic ice cover just would not recover over the winter and by February the ice forums were like "aww poo poo here we go folks' and then next year introduced the phrase "polar vortex" to everyone's vocabulary. Personally I remain amazed that humanity as a whole doesn't panic.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

General Dog posted:

I'll panic the day I can't get to work

Mmmmm, capitalism

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Human measures of time do not correlate to geological time, in which it is super obvious where and how we're hosed (right now, completely)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Turtlicious posted:

lol no it won't, we're already making huge changes, and new technologies keep coming out. Half the world may die, I may die, but we're going to move the needle enough so that some day, some people, somewhere will manage to live.

A noble goal, but we get there by terminating bad practices, not doubling down on them with a veneer of eco-friendliness

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Turtlicious posted:

Which we are doing, and many countries in the G20 have agreed to do. I'm 26 and I refuse to die in a global apocalypse. I'm going to die at 85 surrounded by my family and friends, and if there is a final account, St. Peter / Buddha / Anubis will know I didn't just sit back and let the apocalypse happen. I fought for the right things and I never gave up hope that humanity could do better.

Weight my heart against a feather you fucks, I'm ready to try and save the world.

e: Even if someone has to go pipe bomb some methane emitting cows, or gently caress up an oil pipeline.

Hahaha we are definitely not doing, I refused at 26 and shouted my drat fool head off and annoyed all sorts of Congresscritters, including one of the new members that is furthest left. I am now 30, and we are going extinct. People cannot comprehend the level of sacrifice now necessary. The only way you're going to die at 85 with your family and friends is if you all happen to survive the mass cullings and global enslavement in the first 50 years of the multi-generational exclusively-focused-on-tree-planting ecostalinist order.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rime posted:

/r/collapse had a really brief golden era between all the peak-oilers leaving and basically the entire world realizing that we're hosed and seeking out information on our hosed-level.

It's now mostly teenagers angst-posting about how they are going to die before "truly living", but still gets the hard science news faster than anywhere else.

Don't "read" that place, just scrape it for links.

I haven't come back there in at least a year now, it was fun a few years ago when doomy authors were doing Q&As. Pity the peak-oilers were so far off on reserves remaining in their otherwise accurate picture of decline and fall, would have been much less depressing than all mammals dying.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

AceOfFlames posted:

We should have listened to Captain Planet.

The power was ours and we blew it.

Still holding out hope for a gritty Captain Planet reboot where the Planeteers are full blown ecoterrorists and Captain Planet is a flying Immortal Hulk:

What comic is this

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Turtlicious posted:

I'm just ecstatic that I stopped doing drugs, and stopped being homeless, lost a poo poo ton of weight, and went back to school just in time to die from the climate apocalypse. It owns that I did what many said was impossible and I'm going to lose it all again, because people won't take the loving bus.

Public Transportation, renewable energies. That's all we needed lmao.

The manufacturing infrastructure necessary to construct buses would have killed us eventually

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Complications posted:

this thread really does need killmarks in the OP for each brain it breaks

Killdate: 06/01/2012
Cause of death: https://dothemath.ucsd.edu/2011/10/the-energy-trap/

Kimsemus posted:

That explains it, which is pretty cool since I see some reasonable ideas being thrown around, so I'll lurk and see if I can't figure some poo poo out. I am, in fact, not a communist, but I'm also not a close-minded brokebrain so I'm always interested in hearing about solutions to problems, I don't really care where they come from if they work.

Help us solve for a non-growth system that is both carbon-negative and stable relatively indefinitely, you'll be king of the world

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Jul 23, 2019

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Homeless Friend posted:

The very visible hand of the Carbon Free Monarch

Hail to the King, baby!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Squalid posted:

there is no evidence of impending human extinction. AceOfFlames's over there is not hyperventilating about mohawked raiders forcing him to till the soil based a rigorous study correlating hairstyle with global temperature

Atmospheric carbon increasing orders of magnitude faster than it did in the lead up to the P-T extinction is good enough for me to lol into the void at

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Crazypoops posted:

"Listen there's no scientific basis in extinction scenarios" *bursts into flames*

*Shovels coal into the fire for good measure*

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Squalid posted:

don't get me wrong, extinction is pretty implausible in the next century. The only plausible scenarios I can think of involve rendering the atmosphere unbreathable for macrovertibrates. There's not even really any plausible mechanism by which nuclear war could cause human extinction.

Limiting consideration to the next century when the long term effects will linger for tens of thousands of years seems like downplaying the urgency of change

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

AceOfFlames posted:

I fly around 3 to 4 times a year to visit my family and I am constantly called out on not doing it more often. I also work in aerospace (but not directly). How big of a criminal am I?

What, are you an engineer? There's no worse class of people than us, self-gulag at once.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rime posted:

We're almost certainly not going to cause Venus-grade greenhousing.

We've got waaaaay too much ocean for it, plus the magnetosphere, so even if all water on Earth became vapor it wouldn't be stripped away by the stellar wind, and co2 as a proportion of the atmosphere would stay low.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Stairmaster posted:

lol we're all gonna be dead in ten years

I thought optimism wasn't allowed in here

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

if I had money I'd be trying to head to Chile

We're going to strip-mine it for lithium.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

uncop posted:

What makes anti-natalism complete wankery is that it assumes the theorist to have found The objective metric situated outside humanity

Nobody should be born civilized; if your culture defines you as not-an-animal you shouldn't follow that animalistic urge

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
A prosecutor without any convictions is pretty funny

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Car Hater posted:

I'm an engineer, a GHG free energy grid is impossible.

lmao

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

The Protagonist posted:

w/o Nuclear power yea.

e; cutting off my quote is an rear end in a top hat move

I'm an engineer, and straight up, a GHG free grid is impossible unless you're scooting around in magic transit on magic roads made out of not-oil-byproduct.

e; what are you gonna build it out off? how many carbon credits to offset the construction cost of all the ahhhhh fuckit lol

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Modus Pwnens posted:

It's also leaving out a lot of important details, like the environmental costs of making that many batteries.

Getting the lithium necessary involves strip mining Chile and western China, then tearing up the ocean floor and letting the disrupted sediment plume go wherever. This kills the crabs (and most of the rest of the ocean. And us)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I wave my magic wand and wipe out all coal and natural gas plants and replace them with modular fusion.

Humanity dies from all the mining needed to put smart devices in every home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Lmao my boss wants to know what my ultimate goal at the company is

Should I poison him with bad numbers?