Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is it known if anti-satellite weapons would cause Kessler Syndrome? I do wonder about the chances of losing access to the moon forever because of Taiwan or whatever, should even a regional conflict lead to navigation, communication, surveillance satellites being targeted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Iirc the risk is overstated

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Iirc the risk is overstated

there’s only one way to find out

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Is it known if anti-satellite weapons would cause Kessler Syndrome? I do wonder about the chances of losing access to the moon forever because of Taiwan or whatever, should even a regional conflict lead to navigation, communication, surveillance satellites being targeted.

the most valuable satellites from a military strategy perspective are in orbits that aren't at much risk of kessler syndrome

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Kessler syndrome is fake

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Weka posted:

Dang that's sick. Video showing it shoot down multiple drones at once.

http://twitter.com/OedoSoldier/status/1592131815300825088

From this pretty interesting article here, which also mentions it has an integral radar. Looks like this is China's answer to suicide drones.

https://eurasiantimes.com/edited-china-unveils-new-shorad-system-armed-with-missiles/

Need a bullet barrage?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The Kessler Syndrome sounds badass

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

cat botherer posted:

The Kessler Syndrome sounds badass

There’s a Kessler in my Kerman.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hubbert posted:

Need a bullet barrage?

useful against the GLA's air force, which is just an armada of suicide drones and nothing else

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/chen_yenhan/status/1620240122284498949

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1620319289055285248

chill beats to watch prototype planes fly to

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

what secrets does this 58 year old jet still hold?!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

yellowcar posted:

FLG organs

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Everything coming out of china looks like the fucken sci-fi future

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

i think the us desperately wants a new cold war with all the shiny bits and china could not give less of a poo poo, having correctly assessed that there is basically no similarity in their material circumstances compared to the ussr

their space program is not trying to keep up with the us any more than they are trying to match the us missile arsenal

It makes more sense to pursue the space elevator first for the 50% production bonus because the late stage space race projects are so expensive.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

atelier morgan posted:

i think the us desperately wants a new cold war with all the shiny bits and china could not give less of a poo poo, having correctly assessed that there is basically no similarity in their material circumstances compared to the ussr

their space program is not trying to keep up with the us any more than they are trying to match the us missile arsenal

the consensus among the PRC chinese is the fall of USSR happened because they were too dumb

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Palladium posted:

the consensus among the PRC chinese is the fall of USSR happened because they were too dumb

The PRC convincing the West to move their entire industrial base to China was a pretty slick move, I don't think the Soviets could have pulled it off.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

yellowcar posted:

Wikipedia has the answers.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

sullat posted:

The PRC convincing the West to move their entire industrial base to China was a pretty slick move, I don't think the Soviets could have pulled it off.

The USSR was far too scrutable.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Palladium posted:

They're not wrong. They may infact be right

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lol that onkel sam just straight up gave the biggest communist party in the world technology just because they were minmaxing a way of defeating the USSR. Given that even more precariously placed states like cuba and VZ recovered from US economic blockades gorby really screwed the pooch.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KomradeX posted:

They're not wrong. They may infact be right

Another way to say it, the guys who could even vaguely figure things out quite literally died off and they got replaced with a cadre of morons and well... traitors. The decline and fall of the Soviet Union is a story of the decline of fall of the CPSU.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 102 days!

Tankbuster posted:

lol that onkel sam just straight up gave the biggest communist party in the world technology just because they were minmaxing a way of defeating the USSR.

?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Weka posted:

The USSR was far too scrutable.

we cannot afford a scrutability gap with the perfidious Han

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

when will the Americans respect Chinese intellectual property rights 😤

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Tankbuster posted:

lol that onkel sam just straight up gave the biggest communist party in the world technology just because they were minmaxing a way of defeating the USSR. Given that even more precariously placed states like cuba and VZ recovered from US economic blockades gorby really screwed the pooch.

Putin has managed to sanction proof Russia despite all the liberalism, although 30 years of development in countries outside of the west, particularly in China, has undoubtedly helped.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, there was no particular structural reason why the largest country in the world would collapse when gorby came to power.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the US is accusing putin of violating the START treaty now

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

these folks are a laugh https://twitter.com/cnasdc/status/1620574401405108225
https://twitter.com/cnasdc/status/1620507211129659411

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

I think they were minmaxing crushing labor in the US and UK.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Why would a tech college be making a stealth plane? It looks more like a fuel efficiency thing to me.

e: it is
https://twitter.com/jesusfroman/status/1620324140866744320?s=20

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
big boi plane

Weka
May 5, 2019

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Why would a tech college be making a stealth plane? It looks more like a fuel efficiency thing to me.

Because the black market has just been flooded with anti air missiles.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

oh my god it's adorable :swoon:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Has strong x-32 vibes

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Cerebral Bore posted:

oh my god it's adorable :swoon:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no laughing matter - these creeps and people like them are working to doom our world to nuclear annihilation. they are traitors to all life on earth.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The book Collapse about the fall of the soviet union is really interesting, explicitly stating that the dissolution was everything but inevitable or even supported by the majority of people while also being strictly anti-communist.

So you get passages about the total failure of Gorbachev and Yeltsin's treason with the west fanning the flames while also periodically reminding the reader that even so, communism is totally evil guys.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Royal Navy orders investigation into nuclear submarine ‘repaired with glue’

quote:

The Royal Navy has ordered an urgent investigation amid claims that workers on a Trident nuclear armed submarine fixed broken bolts in the vessel’s reactor chamber using glue.

The faulty repairs on the cooling pipes aboard HMS Vanguard were found after one of the bolts fell off during an inspection, the Sun reported.

The bolt heads originally came off due to over-tightening. But, rather than replacing the damaged shafts, staff at the defence contractor Babcock implemented a quick fix and glued them back on.

Engineers at the contractor reported it as a procedural glitch after the problem was found, but did not mention the botched nature of the repair.

A navy source told the newspaper: “It’s a disgrace. You can’t cut corners with nuclear. Standards are standards. Nuclear standards are never compromised.”

The glued bolts held insulation in place on the coolant pipes in the nuclear reactor and were found just as workers were set to fire it up to full power for the first time, the newspaper reported.

Investigators will trawl records of repairs to find out when the bodged work occurred and who was ultimately responsible.

The Ministry of Defence spokesperson said that a “defect” was found on HMS Vanguard when in dry dock and that it was “promptly reported and fixed”.

The spokesperson said the defence secretary, Ben Wallace, met the chief executive of Babcock, David Lockwood, “to seek assurances about future work”.

Babcock is the MoD’s second-largest contractor and has multibillion pound contracts to maintain the navy’s Astute and Vanguard sub fleets.

A spokesperson for the company said: “Any quality-related issue is a huge disappointment, but our own robust inspection processes discovered the issue. There was no safety or operational impact from the work.”

The Guardian reported in December last year of safety fears as the submarines had been deployed at sea for record-breaking periods of five months each.

Rob Forsyth, who helped command Polaris nuclear submarines in the 1970s, said the lengthy patrol times could lead to “boredom, complacency and an inevitable drop-off in standards”.

HMS Vanguard is one of four nuclear submarines that form part of the UK’s continuous at sea deterrent. The vessels are always out on patrol and are poised to strike in the unlikely event that Britain is hit with a nuclear attack.

An MoD spokesperson said: “As part of a planned inspection, a defect was found from work done in the past when HMS Vanguard was in dry dock. It was promptly reported and fixed.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I sprung for the Falklands module for CMO and it's a bit staggering to see how Mickey Mouse the Royal Navy was by 1982.