Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ok, that's a funny bit quoting posts from DnD or the Glenn thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

HonorableTB posted:

There is no diplomacy that can reach a dead end because there has been no good faith diplomatic effort by putin, only issuing impossible demands while an army is on the border ready to invade. That's not diplomacy. That's armed extortion on a nation-state scale.

American style diplomacy.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

i say swears online posted:

wonder what happens in ten years when a swarm of drones the size of a cup of coffee can take out an entire bio-identified officer crew

my fave bit of cyberpunk world building is that shipping on oceans is impossible because there are swarms of rouge hunter killer submarines leftover from a previous war

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Finally my catapult based transportation network can shine.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Weka posted:

Please stop your obscene cost cutting practices on Poly Bridge

Weka
May 5, 2019

Lol that looks like a really fun way to play that game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Weka posted:

Saddam Hussein building a giant cannon to shoot things into orbit, but this time to facilitate trade for the good of capitalism

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

BULBASAUR posted:

my fave bit of cyberpunk world building is that shipping on oceans is impossible because there are swarms of rouge hunter killer submarines leftover from a previous war

Which book/series is this from?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Which book/series is this from?

It's an event in the Cyberpunk 2077 timeline called the Red Years, which was the result of some hacker ruining the internet. When global communications shut down the AIs on the submarines assumed they were in a state of war, and autonomously began destroying everything that wasn't registered as friendly. So as of the time of the game, over 20 years later, they're still out there making ocean travel impossible.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Jan 22, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the one that actually has a one piece canopy of course

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's an event in the Cyberpunk 2077 timeline called the Red Years, which was the result of some hacker ruining the internet. When global communications shut down the AIs on the submarines assumed they were in a state of war, and autonomously began destroying everything that wasn't registered as friendly. So as of the time of the game, over 20 years later, they're still out there making ocean travel impossible.

That's kinda neat and a genre appropriate way to force the story focus on land. It real close to shore or are the littorals still safe?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

There is no diplomacy that can reach a dead end because there has been no good faith diplomatic effort by putin, only issuing impossible demands while an army is on the border ready to invade. That's not diplomacy. That's armed extortion on a nation-state scale.

not joining NATO is an impossible demand

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's kinda neat and a genre appropriate way to force the story focus on land. It real close to shore or are the littorals still safe?

It doesn't go into that much detail. Littorals are safe because people still buy and use pleasure craft. Anything out on the open ocean is asking for a death sentence though. Islands can only be supplied from the air.

That last part isn't a minor detail either. Mass freight has shifted to gigantic air barges which use up way more fuel than ocean liners because they have to make lift. So everything across the board is more expensive to ship.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It doesn't go into that much detail. Littorals are safe because people still buy and use pleasure craft. Anything out on the open ocean is asking for a death sentence though. Islands can only be supplied from the air.

That last part isn't a minor detail either. Mass freight has shifted to gigantic air barges which use up way more fuel than ocean liners because they have to make lift. So everything across the board is more expensive to ship.

Capitalist realism is so hilarious that it cannot fathom trains lmao.

Danann has issued a correction as of 22:38 on Jan 22, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
How do trains go across the ocean dumbass?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
look if random users cant post "lol CAPITALISM" at literally anything with glee why have cspam?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

it’s called a bridge IDIOT!!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Centrist Committee posted:

it’s called a bridge IDIOT!!!
_______________________________________________________________________/

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Tankbuster posted:

https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1157262619650211840

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

This is how you get Snowpiercer.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Threatening country with violence to make country join/not join international organisation is what?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Ukraine is never getting into NATO.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Russia’s could get it

we really need China to get into geoengineering asap

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Why does Russia get to determine who joins a defensive alliance they aren't a part of

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

don't you have work to do mr blinken

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
allowing the ukraine to join nato would be pathological altruism on the part of the west

what do they contribute? they are nothing but a liability which will drag us into war.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

allowing the ukraine to join nato would be pathological altruism on the part of the west

what do they contribute? they are nothing but a liability which will drag us into war.

right? even from a "nato should be a strong and responsive force for good" worldview, how does ukraine further that goal? it's like inviting myanmar from that perspective. from another perspective, perhaps nato isn't actually a defensive alliance!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Why does Russia get to determine who joins a defensive alliance they aren't a part of

because it can
or can't, if they refuse

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
more from "About Face"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Doctor Jeep posted:

because it can
or can't, if they refuse

This doesnt make any sense to me. They can do this only if nato allows it

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

more from "About Face"

I'm reading these excerpts and thinking to myself "thank god they were like this, thank god this guy didn't manage to whip them into shape" lmao

HonorableTB posted:

if nato allows it then they can do it
if nato doesn't allow it then they can't do it
and the only way to know if nato will allow it is to ask

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

you're letting realpolitik 101 woosh over your head

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It says in the bylaws that anybody can join NATO if they want to.* :colbert:

*Except Russia

Weka
May 5, 2019

If nato lets Ukraine in, they have to go to war with Russia because Russia is occupying parts of de jure Ukraine.

Edit: /\ if unanimously voted for by member states.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-us-apparently-gets-its-rear end-handed-to-it-in-war-games-2019-3

The US has been getting 'its rear end handed to it' in war games simulating fights against Russia and China

In war games simulating a high-end fight against Russia or China, the US often loses, two experienced military war-gamers have revealed.

"In our games, when we fight Russia and China, 'blue' gets its rear end handed to it," David Ochmanek, a RAND warfare analyst, explained at the Center for a New American Security on Thursday, Breaking Defense first reported. US forces are typically color-coded blue in these simulations.

"We lose a lot of people. We lose a lot of equipment. We usually fail to achieve our objective of preventing aggression by the adversary," he said.

At the outset of these conflicts, all five battlefield domains — land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace — are contested, meaning the US could struggle to achieve the superiority it has enjoyed in the past.

In these simulated fights, the "red" aggressor force often obliterates US stealth fighters on the runway, sends US warships to the depths, destroys US bases, and takes out critical US military systems.

"In every case I know of, the F-35 rules the sky when it's in the sky," Robert Work, a former deputy secretary of defense and an experienced war-gamer, said Thursday. "But it gets killed on the ground in large numbers."

Neither China nor Russia has developed a fifth-generation fighter as capable as the F-35, but even the best aircraft have to land. That leaves them vulnerable to attack.

"Things that sail on the surface of the sea are going to have a hard time," Ochmanek said.

Aircraft carriers, traditional beacons of American military might, are becoming increasingly vulnerable. They may be hard to kill, but they are significantly less difficult to take out of the fight.

Naval experts estimate that US aircraft carriers now need to operate at least 1,000 nautical miles from the Chinese mainland
to keep out of range of China's anti-ship missiles, according to USNI News.

"If we went to war in Europe, there would be one Patriot battery moving, and it would go to Ramstein [in Germany]. And that's it," Work explained, according to Breaking Defense. "We have 58 Brigade Combat Teams, but we don't have anything to protect our bases. So what difference does it make?" "If we went to war in Europe, there would be one Patriot battery moving, and it would go to Ramstein [in Germany]. And that's it," Work explained, according to Breaking Defense. "We have 58 Brigade Combat Teams, but we don't have anything to protect our bases. So what difference does it make?"

Simply put, the US military bases scattered across Europe and the Pacific don't have the anti-air and missile-defense capabilities required to handle the overwhelming volume of fire they would face in a high-end conflict.

In a conflict against a near-peer threat, US communications satellites, command-and-control systems, and wireless networks would be crippled.

"The brain and the nervous system that connects all of these pieces is suppressed, if not shattered," Ochmanek said of this scenario. Work said the Chinese call this type of attack "system destruction warfare."

The Chinese would "attack the American battle network at all levels, relentlessly, and they practice it all the time," Work said. "On our side, whenever we have an exercise, when the red force really destroys our command and control, we stop the exercise and say, 'let's restart.'"

"These are the things that the war games show over and over and over, so we need a new American way of war without question," Work stressed.

Ochmanek and Work have both seen US war games play out undesirably, and their damning observations reflect the findings of an assessment done from last fall.

"If the United States had to fight Russia in a Baltic contingency or China in a war over Taiwan, Americans could face a decisive military defeat," the National Defense Strategy Commission — a bipartisan panel of experts picked by Congress to evaluate the National Defense Strategy — said in a November report.

The report called attention to the erosion of the US's military edge by rival powers, namely Russia and China, which have developed a "suite of advanced capabilities heretofore possessed only by the United States."

The commission concluded the US is "at greater risk than at any time in decades."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNLUS0o69wQ

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
the 7000 US troops shooting civvies at Kabul's airport definitely means 8500 of em is enough against Russia

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

I'm reading these excerpts and thinking to myself "thank god they were like this, thank god this guy didn't manage to whip them into shape" lmao

I’m reading them and thinking “it’s a shame this obvious and total piece of poo poo made it out alive”

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

indigi posted:

I’m reading them and thinking “it’s a shame this obvious and total piece of poo poo made it out alive”

what makes him a piece of poo poo? Just reads like a frustrated career soldier to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

what makes him a piece of poo poo?

Southpaugh posted:

career soldier