Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Mozi posted:

you know what would make soccer more exciting? if it was played on ice instead of grass, and everybody ran around on these sharp steel blades, and instead of kicking the ball you have big sticks you can hit it with and also hit the other players when the refs aren't watching, and you can punch them sometimes too and just get a few minutes penalty

oh wait

:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxwJxkdCqYw

soccer dudes just need to hit each other imo but thats basically rugby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

America needs another sport for middle sized white guys to play. Hockey can only absorb so many 5'7" white dudes.

Golf is painfully popular

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Away all Goats posted:

Golf is painfully popular

Thats cool and all but we were talking about sport

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
I'll care about Soccer when they give a red card for flopping/diving.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

You can get booked for diving. Guess football is for you after all.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

deported to Canada posted:

You can get booked for diving. Guess football is for you after all.

They why do the players still do it every 30 seconds ALL GAME LONG?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Because if there is a situation for it (like a tough tackle or players jumping for a ball in the air) you need to make sure the referee notices and also if you go down they will stop play, useful if the opposite team have the advantage. Also before video replays it was easy to get away with if the referee or linesman didn't see the contact. The other reason is because football is terrible.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Was just thinking about it again and I really think Kyler Murray would be a great soccer player. Like, even if he never learned how to shoot well, but could still defend at an elite level and pass decently I think he would be a good midfielder (is that the best position for him, what is the 'center' of the midfield, and would he be good at that or better at a wing?) and would be worth at least $300 million to a mid level Premier League team so, actually he chose the wrong sport after all.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
i like watching americans play soccer

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
⚽️ is 💩

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The best players come from poor countries where people are desperate for any sort of economic escape so give it a few more years and Americans will start caring about it a lot.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Michael Corleone posted:

Was just thinking about it again and I really think Kyler Murray would be a great soccer player. Like, even if he never learned how to shoot well, but could still defend at an elite level and pass decently I think he would be a good midfielder (is that the best position for him, what is the 'center' of the midfield, and would he be good at that or better at a wing?) and would be worth at least $300 million to a mid level Premier League team so, actually he chose the wrong sport after all.

If he played for the mls he would make like 60k a year and would need a second job and even if he had the talent theres a real possibility nobody in Europe would notice. Its the low pay thats the real killer because you cant dedicate your time to getting better. Most mls teams dont even have mandatory practice because it doesnt work with their players schedules lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If you learn passing and tackling as an adult you will always suck rear end compared to a top level pro no matter what your physique is, because they have been practicing those skills every day since they were little children, or at least whenever they aren’t busy filming themselves having sex. They’re finesse skills and just being strong or fast af isn’t a substitute for them.

sassassin posted:

The best players come from poor countries where people are desperate for any sort of economic escape so give it a few more years and Americans will start caring about it a lot.

lol

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

sassassin posted:

that explains beckham lmao

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Zazi posted:

this just sounds like a dumb opinion all over possibly crafted to be annoyingly dumb
what no I love soccer

or hate it, whichever

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i think golf is really the only sport that truly sucks on a conceptual level, most others have something going for them

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Nut to Butt posted:

what if we just kill the other team

is there a rule against that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVrsGHs2MCk

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

If you don't want yanks taking over soccer just hand out red cards for spousal abuse

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Roundup Ready posted:

They still have cricket my dude

god it's already begun

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

soccer should just get rid of offsides and then it would be good

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
American women are great at soccer and play just as rough as the men. BYU ladies are all about hair pulling and kicks to the clams.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Ultra Carp

big nipples big life posted:

*bursts into thread, falls down and rolls on the ground howling in pain for 15 minutes*

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

American women are great at soccer and play just as rough as the men. BYU ladies are all about hair pulling and kicks to the clams.

Refereeing in women's football is shockingly bad. And the players all have massive chips on their shoulder so they're always trying to prove how tough and manly they are. It's ridiculous.

It's like the men's game in the UK 30 years ago. Talented players get bullied out of the sport when they're young. There's a pervasive culture of macho toughness ruining it for everyone.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Europe got more gold medals and more medals in general from the olympics compared to America (more than twice as many gold medals actually) so we have the better athletes, objectively speaking. Suck it down capitalist swine

The only sports America is better at than Europe are sports where Europe do not participate lol. No one except America gives a poo poo about the NFL or baseball or whatever

Even obscure sports like stronglifting and stuff, Europe does best. Sorry America, all you're really good at is making and shooting guns

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We make the best movies. It's why all the euro trash are taking our hollywood jobs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

Refereeing in women's football is shockingly bad.

This is actually a big problem in American men’s soccer as well. I know everyone likes to joke about MLS refs being Guatemalan ex cons or whatever but the standard of officials in the league really is worse than the standard of players.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Guessing this is a 'get what you pay for' sort of situation?

Looked it up and yeah a few hundred bucks a game, if that.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 13, 2019

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Europe got more gold medals and more medals in general from the olympics compared to America (more than twice as many gold medals actually) so we have the better athletes, objectively speaking. Suck it down capitalist swine

The only sports America is better at than Europe are sports where Europe do not participate lol. No one except America gives a poo poo about the NFL or baseball or whatever

Even obscure sports like stronglifting and stuff, Europe does best. Sorry America, all you're really good at is making and shooting guns

God, imagine if americans were allowed to compete in the olympics under their state flags

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You did have Lance Armstrong take over cycling, which was mostly dominated by Europeans before, which was very impressive. That guy did some superhuman stuff

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Zzulu posted:

You did have Lance Armstrong take over cycling, which was mostly dominated by Europeans before, which was very impressive. That guy did some superhuman stuff

Yeah he was dope

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
fun fact: Lance Armstrong keeps his removed testicle in a jar on his nightstand and gives it a squeeze for good luck before every race

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mozi posted:

fun fact: Lance Armstrong keeps his removed testicle in a jar on his nightstand and gives it a squeeze for good luck before every race

What, like, in to his mouth?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
sure, why not!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

5 foot 6 n'golo kante would just bully them across the pitch

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Nerses IV posted:

God, imagine if americans were allowed to compete in the olympics under their state flags

Texans would go bezerk at the olympics.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh boy I love being the world champions of baseball every year because no one else is invited.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gridlocked posted:

Oh boy I love being the world champions of baseball every year because no one else is invited.

If you're gonna make fun of americans for dubbing themselves world champions, it would be smart to pick a sport where all the teams are actually from america

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

CitizenConned posted:

Soccer is like America's 6th ranked sport moneywise (i.e they get the absolute dregs of talented athletes) and they still manage to be competative every once in awhile on a world stage. Gotta let the rest of the world feel good about something I suppose.
The US soccer team is ranked 25th in the world, along with Romania and below Peru. This is not a competitive level.

I guess the US recipe for success is playing sports that are only relevant in the US?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

soccer is for children and astoundingly racist adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

There seems to be a weird balance in soccer, in which Americans are super defensive about it not being a proper sport and people from countries that play soccer are super defensive about it being a proper sport