Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I ran into that too. Unless I'm missing something it is impossible, for the reasons you said. You need keke and fofo on the far side of the conveyer belt - one to push the key out of the room, and one to push the key towards the door once it's out. Fofo can just float across, but keke can't walk across (because even with Jiji blocking the conveyor you can't actually walk past) and you can't push Keke past (because the players aren't push, you just walk through each other). By that point the space and objects you have to play with are so limited I don't see what I could be missing.

Yup, I'm having the same problem. There's one other level I'm stumped on too, but there's a good chance I'm just a doofus and missing something there. I'll come back to it, though.

God, I missed this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Edit: Enjoying the museum quite a bit. I like that the sign in Museum of Revisions 6 laughs about the silliness of empty is win when i won by making empty win :v:

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 18, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Looks like that level got patched. Just completed it myself.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 18, 2021

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Yeah, apologies. Looks like I did the major mistake of "I'll just adjust it a bit and because the adjustment is so small, *surely* it doesn't need testing" on a couple levels.

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1461276945207992321

I've just pushed the second hotfix patch on Steam & Itch.io, and it'll up soonish on Humble Store.
Currently all the levels that are known to be unbeatably borked:

- Fragile Existence - Old
- Skull Pile
- Written In Stone
- Teamwork Is A Must

All of them except the first are fixed on the most recent patch. I'll keep hotfixing things and will try to get a patch going for Switch by Friday, so that Switch players will get to play the fixed version next week.
Huge apologies for this!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you should randomly and silently update between the "beatable" and "unbeatable" versions imo, to drive your playerbase insane

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Given the number of times I've gone "okay, enough for now, I'll come back to this tomorrow" and then instantly solved it the next day, I'm not convinced it doesn't already :v:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hempuli posted:

Yeah, apologies. Looks like I did the major mistake of "I'll just adjust it a bit and because the adjustment is so small, *surely* it doesn't need testing" on a couple levels.

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1461276945207992321

I've just pushed the second hotfix patch on Steam & Itch.io, and it'll up soonish on Humble Store.
Currently all the levels that are known to be unbeatably borked:

- Fragile Existence - Old
- Skull Pile
- Written In Stone
- Teamwork Is A Must

All of them except the first are fixed on the most recent patch. I'll keep hotfixing things and will try to get a patch going for Switch by Friday, so that Switch players will get to play the fixed version next week.
Huge apologies for this!

Sorry to add another thing to the list, but the Itch desktop client doesn't let you download the executable, there's just an empty list - I think the .exe needs to be specifically marked as the Windows version inside of Itch so the desktop client knows what to do there. It's not the biggest deal since the desktop client is essentially just a glorified exe-running frontend but it is a thing.

Honestly I'm probably just gonna also buy it on Steam rn anyway. :v:

Edit: Oh sweet the save directory is the same between those clients.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 18, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Figuring out the new menu interface is the most difficult puzzle from the new update so far. :v:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've only dabbled with the museum so far but i already love these a ton. Even if some of them were deemed "too easy" or "missing another tricky layer" i love the idea behind them and as someone being extremely rusty from a long break a few "trivial" basics (which would still be top tier in any other puzzle game) are exactly what i needed to get back into the mindset (before the rest of the levels inevitably brutalizes me).

Minor nitpick: occasionally the text of the wonderful dev comments overlaps with level elements white on white and reading them becomes its own puzzle.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you should randomly and silently update between the "beatable" and "unbeatable" versions imo, to drive your playerbase insane

Pull a Witness and have a path that repeatedly goes through multiple levels, and only one of the levels is actually solvable at each step and you gotta figure out which one it is.

Shoot maybe I'll make a custom thing that does that, that could be cool and we can do that now right?

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I'm just trying the Gamejam version, but this level has me stumped. Level 12, I believe.

I don't understand how I'm supposed to do anything at all here. Can someone give me 1 meaningful move to get started?

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Try to focus on Baba is You

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Thanks, but still stuck. Pushing either piece of Baba is You vertically bricks the level as I no longer have a controllable piece. Pushing it left just hits the wall, pushing it right melts me in lava.

I must be missing something conceptually? I don't see how I can manipulate the rules at all with the tools I am given.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Elerion posted:

I'm just trying the Gamejam version, but this level has me stumped. Level 12, I believe.

I don't understand how I'm supposed to do anything at all here. Can someone give me 1 meaningful move to get started?

Small hint: There's a reason those phrases against the walls are moveable

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
BABA is too loving HARD

Elerion
May 31, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Small hint: There's a reason those phrases against the walls are moveable

Thanks. Got it!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Elerion posted:

It's hard to tell without being able to move the pieces around, so this could be entirely wrong or a massive solution spoiler but my first attempt would be changing <X> IS YOU to something other than BABA namely WALL

e: too late, guess i was close then.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Welp, started up the New Adventures pack and the next thing I know it's 5 hours and 44 cleared levels later :v: looks like there might still be quite a bit to go, too, though I'd have to get past some of the ones I'm stuck on atm to unlock any more...

On a less low-content note, is it just me or are a few of the extra levels (Safety Box 2, Bunker, and Destructive Presence) not actually any harder than the standard versions? idk if I just lucked into the "advanced" solutions the first time around or what

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I'm kinda stumped by "A simple maze":

Both tiles and feet are impassable, and I don't see any way to change that. Although I'm apparently allowed to push "IS" onto a tile - no idea why, shouldn't TILE IS STOP prevent that?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Maybe you should look at things from… a new perspective

It’s a tutorial for one of the quirks of 3d mode, specifically that some tiles will be “real” objects and some are just floor textures that don’t matter. You can’t tell the difference in 2d mode, but it’s obvious in 3d.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

Sorry to add another thing to the list, but the Itch desktop client doesn't let you download the executable, there's just an empty list - I think the .exe needs to be specifically marked as the Windows version inside of Itch so the desktop client knows what to do there. It's not the biggest deal since the desktop client is essentially just a glorified exe-running frontend but it is a thing.

Ahhh, thanks a lot! I had forgotten to set those and people were reporting issues there.

All the unbeatable levels should now be fine for non-Switch-touchers. Sorry & thanks for the patience!

Nostalgamus posted:

Both tiles and feet are impassable, and I don't see any way to change that. Although I'm apparently allowed to push "IS" onto a tile - no idea why, shouldn't TILE IS STOP prevent that?

What Snake Maze said; this is definitely meant to be more of a joke so it does some slightly sneaky stuff that I wouldn't permit in a proper puzzle.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nostalgamus posted:

Oh no. I'm already too stupid to beat this game in 2D, is 3D a tile that shows up with any frequency?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Oh no. I'm already too stupid to beat this game in 2D, is 3D a tile that shows up with any frequency?

There're exactly 6 levels that use it in the entire game, and at least 1 of those is more of a goofy thing. It's meant to be a small sidetour instead of a major feature (although I think that even as it is it might overstay its welcome a bit).

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah I adore this game and am very grateful for this amazing update!! But I hate the 3D word with my very soul lol. I have fairly poor spatial skills and remembering where anything is is a huge endeavor for me. I might legit take a picture of the level before making baba 3D next time

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Probably a year late, I legit can't tell if "NOT Y IS NOT X"s code implementation bypassing an existing "X IS X" rule (and "crossing it out" as invalid) is intentional or not. Maybe? I certainly wouldnt know how to implement that operation rigidly. Some of the operation precedence feels a bit diffuse.

I think i need more coffee.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 19, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Nots always override Is's

Although Not Nots override Nots and so on.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I don't mean to pester you, but I'd like to bring this to your attention again:

Geemer posted:

If you're still looking for non-editor stuff to poke at, could you maybe look into having the game show keyboard prompts instead of controller ones if using the keyboard to control the game?

I just leave my wired 360 controller connected to the computer all the time, but play BABA exclusively with keyboard. But because the controller's connected the game still shows the prompts for controller when I mess up and need to rewind.
I thought setting the little controller to crossed out in the control settings would do this, but it doesn't. Not even after restarting the game.

Also maybe auto-hiding the mouse so I don't have to fling it off to the side every time?

Obviously none of this stopped me from enjoying the game and the keyboard controls were intuitive enough to figure out without ever looking at the bindings. But coming from games like A Hat in Time that immediately switches to the appropriate prompts if you touch the keyboard or controller, it seems a little silly.

It's incredibly minor and obviously far less important than fixing puzzles etc., but it'd be nice.

KNR
May 3, 2009
I see More Unused Levels/Turmoil in the Clouds just got patched, but I still don't see how they could be possible in their current iteration.

I can get a single baba or flag from Cannon, and a whole mess of flags, babas, kekes, and texts from Turmoil. Due to how sink works, any extra copies from Turmoil don't do anything. I think I need the kekes to pass the trees, but KEKE IS STOP, so that makes the babas unpushable. This leaves me two objects short of clearing the top pool. Even assuming Cannon has a double object solution I haven't found yet, that would still leave me one short.

KNR fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 20, 2021

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

KNR posted:

I see More Unused Levels/Turmoil in the Clouds just got patched, but I still don't see how they could be possible in their current iteration.

I can get a single baba or flag from Cannon, and a whole mess of flags, babas, kekes, and texts from Turmoil. Due to how sink works, any extra copies from Turmoil don't do anything. I think I need the kekes to pass the trees, but KEKE IS STOP, so that makes the babas unpushable. This leaves me two objects short of clearing the top pool. Even assuming Cannon has a double object solution I haven't found yet, that would still leave me one short.

Seconding this; it was fun figuring out how to get effectively infinite BABA and KEKE texts in Turmoil, but that doesn't seem to actually help in any way? I just don't see how you can escape the starting box of the overworld to get to level 3, or even clear all the water with what's available.

edit: oh dang I wrote this before finding out that the patch removed the LEVEL IS NOT TEXT in Turmoil, disregard me lol
edit 2: disregard the disregarding, how tf do you get a second IS available to set up the TEXT-transformation once you have TEXT IS FLOAT going? I'd assume you need to somehow put a vertical (KEKE or BABA) IS YOU in the space directly below the lone cloud so that TEXT can use that same IS going horizontally, but bc of that dang cloud I just can't get it to fit...

Zyxyz fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 20, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

KNR posted:

Oh wow, that's way different now. Time to see what I can do...

Edit: I literally can't even figure out how to access any level at all, lmao. Definitely a lot harder if its still possible.
Edit 2: Figured that out at least. Beating the two new levels was simple enough. I broke Turmoil though and now I need to get all my stuff back.
Edit 3: It seems pretty straightforward to me. Get one of everything from Turmoil, leaving you with 2 flags, 1 baba, 1 keke, one LEVEL. Make LEVEL IS PUSH, push three levels into the top right water. Make BABA IS PUSH and push the baba into the last top right water. Make KEKE IS YOU, and throw one of your flags into the left side water. Move your KEKE carry the cursor to the left of the trees, and then make KEKE IS NUDGE with your last flag to bring the KEKE across the trees, and then step the cursor off the KEKE onto the last level.

Am I missing anything or does that work fine?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 20, 2021

KNR
May 3, 2009
Hotfix 5 changed it again, the hotfix 4 version almost certainly was impossible then. It had the upper two levels walled in and didn't have keke is nudge. With a whole two extra levels accessible, and the baba from Turmoil being usable due to the nudge, you now even have one spare object and could make the upper pool 5 tiles.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

In Fragile Existence - Old, if you make Level is Weak and then rewind a step, the signs stop working. They work again after restarting the level, though.

KNR
May 3, 2009
Playing this close to release, it's like I'm getting a bunch of extra levels from all these hotfixes. The latest one removed my solution on Train, which I was surprised by, as the solution felt fairly natural. Completely stumped by the new Train.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
extra levels good, not being sure if you've stumbled across unbeatable levels... not so much :v:

There is a wide variety of difficulty in these new map sets and it's super nice, feels like getting to play the base game all over again. Fantastic work, Hempuli et al!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Thank you for the kind words! We're up to hotfix number 6 now, and I think at least one more will be needed.

Swilo posted:

extra levels good, not being sure if you've stumbled across unbeatable levels... not so much :v:

Yeah, it's a huge bummer, also because once people become aware that there's one impossible level in the mix, they lose trust in that there couldn't be another. And another...

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Clearly impossible levels are just a setup to navigate baba out of the game, into the Baba Is You\Data\Worlds\new_adv\<number>level.ld file and start pushing those characters around until you've solved it

NPP IS YOU
FILE IS OPEN

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
It's not as big of a deal as impossible levels, but I just stumbled upon an alternate (presumably?) level solution that doesn't make use of one of the provided rule blocks, so sharing it here in case that's an issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi3MNDs-fJI

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
So doing this was maybe not the best idea for a solution:

Resulted in the game leaking memory for a couple minutes until it popped up a blank Lua error window. Closing that made the window disappear but the music was still playing until I killed the process manually. Haven't seen the game cry that much since discovering infinite loops before the patch where they were caught and displayed a fancy screen.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Swilo posted:

So doing this was maybe not the best idea for a solution:

Resulted in the game leaking memory for a couple minutes until it popped up a blank Lua error window. Closing that made the window disappear but the music was still playing until I killed the process manually. Haven't seen the game cry that much since discovering infinite loops before the patch where they were caught and displayed a fancy screen.

Welp, interesting that that led to such chaos! I guess I'll have to investigate how to catch that with one of the fancy screens.

Zyxyz posted:

It's not as big of a deal as impossible levels, but I just stumbled upon an alternate (presumably?) level solution that doesn't make use of one of the provided rule blocks, so sharing it here in case that's an issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi3MNDs-fJI

I've redesigned Outreach from the ground up for the next patch; it didn't feel very salvageable. Thanks for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Zyxyz posted:

Seconding this; it was fun figuring out how to get effectively infinite BABA and KEKE texts in Turmoil, but that doesn't seem to actually help in any way? I just don't see how you can escape the starting box of the overworld to get to level 3, or even clear all the water with what's available.

edit: oh dang I wrote this before finding out that the patch removed the LEVEL IS NOT TEXT in Turmoil, disregard me lol
edit 2: disregard the disregarding, how tf do you get a second IS available to set up the TEXT-transformation once you have TEXT IS FLOAT going? I'd assume you need to somehow put a vertical (KEKE or BABA) IS YOU in the space directly below the lone cloud so that TEXT can use that same IS going horizontally, but bc of that dang cloud I just can't get it to fit...

I literally never even thought to do TEXT IS FLOAT, which is probably also the answer to your question.