Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
glad we got a thread for this. it's a legit superfight if the size / skill difference isn't as vast as i fear it is. my honest assessment of this fight is that it's more of a blowout on paper than rigo / loma. mikey is a loving excellent boxer and i consider him elite in his weight class, but not at welter. hope he proves me extremely wrong and we get a canelo / ggg as opposed to a rigo / loma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

This way we can also all watch the same stream without worrying about connection issues or people watching different feeds. Legally I don't see how this is any different from me buying the fight on TV and then inviting all of you to my house to watch.

There's so few of us I'm guessing this analogy is close. It's free in the UK anyway isn't it? Anyway I'll probably join you.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

In betting news Spence is a +400 to win, meaning you have to bet $400 on him to bet $100. Garcia is -300 meaning he's a three-to-one underdog, bet $100 on him winning and you'll get $300.

I know you're all waiting with bated breath to hear what Richard Dwyer thinks of the fight. As resident Dwyer correspondent I'm here to report he's picking Garcia with some interesting logic. He thinks Spence is too predictable, doesn't have great straight punches and doesn't have as good a defense or back foot game as Garcia, so Mikey will have openings where he can get in the pocket against Spence and walk him back. He doesn't make much of the weight disparity and describes Mikey Garcia as a "stout" 150-pounder. Says that three to one odds on Mikey is way too wide and that people are beginning to realize this closer to the fight.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4X-S0Pxs54

i'll be putting money on mikey by points, a draw (because it's a 'super fight'), and some group round betting on spence.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

I haven't seen Nery fight before but I'm pretty impressed by what I see here. Moves around the ring well, throws punches in bunches and knows how to turn up the pace of a fight.

i don't know what he's doing fighting this guy though. arroyo looks like he'd be a great stepping stone for a prospect with 15-20 fights and needs a game guy with a good skillset.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

roach threw that first jab and i thought 'oh no, i can box better than this guy'. why is there a squash match this far up the card?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that roach guy does not have 5 pro wins.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Can you imagine you're some 5-1 guy and you get called up to fight at loving Cowboy Stadium

i would honestly love to hear how that fight happened.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Monday Bandele posted:

I imagine his last name had something to do with it

'any relation to freddie?'

'er, yes?'

'how many fights?'

'er, 6?'

sounds about right.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

great i help take some stuff to the car and i miss the finish.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

marching band doing mo bamba was p good

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hype levels rising - starting to think that it might be a competitive fight! bring me back down to earth errol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that size difference is intimidating.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

first three to spence pretyt unambiguously. i'd like to see mikey doing a little more to make spence work - i'd say he's waiting until some of the pepper is off spence's punches before he starts taking risks but at this pace that could be a long rear end time

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Six nothing to Spence. I think it's at times a competitive fight but especially this last round showed Spence is at least as skilled as Garcia on top of outsizing him.

yep. if they were the same size, this would be a ggg / canelo, but they are not the same size.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

this should be stopped. mikey can't win.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Down Right Fierce posted:

115-113, Garcia.

this. is. boxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

errol spence looking bored and throwing a thousand punches. mikey can take the moral victory of still being alive but that was barely a fight.