Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Caught up to present. Glad I stuck with it despite Seasons 3 and 4. 5 and 6 have been a return to form.

Both the principals have made some real dumb mistakes (although the show seems to know it so I think I'm only spelling out the text here).

Chuck lost Sacker in the most obvious way ever. Incredibly stupid.

Prince shouldn't trust Taylor in the slightest. Madness to insist on keeping TMC. They just knifed their last owner and now you have trapped them and put them in a position where knifing you makes a lot of sense. And now they're dirtying up the clean shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Surprised there hasn't been a new thread in so long. Series finale is next week. This season has been the best one in quite a while. Really enjoying it.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
I'm pretty sure the series peaked with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyhRL_7Wi5E&t=1s

still watching because I enjoy a bunch of the actors in this, but I keep expecting there to be a surprise reveal that some sort of primitive chatGPT has been writing the show this entire time, and no actual human being has written a word of dialogue for this show since season 1.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Victory Lap posted:

I'm pretty sure the series peaked with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyhRL_7Wi5E&t=1s

still watching because I enjoy a bunch of the actors in this, but I keep expecting there to be a surprise reveal that some sort of primitive chatGPT has been writing the show this entire time, and no actual human being has written a word of dialogue for this show since season 1.

Is it just me or is the dialogue that much worse this season? I really struggle to get through an episode without cringing half the time.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It's horrible and that's why I love it. It's so over the top and probably what most of America thinks the totally super genius billionaires talk and operate like. Every other sentence is a reference. It's great.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
it’s pure dogshit at this point but i love Paul G. Amatti so I keep watching. hope he begins yelling again sometime soon

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

D-Pad posted:

It's horrible and that's why I love it. It's so over the top and probably what most of America thinks the totally super genius billionaires talk and operate like. Every other sentence is a reference. It's great.

People watch a biopic about a famous person or a tv show set in the past and the characters talk in the exact same super arch extra smart referency manner as they do in Billions. It's all artifice. It's all bullshit.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
"Well I'm going to do [thing] so well you'll think I'm [sporting person] when {sporting person did great thing] in [some event]."
"Huh, I thought you be more like [other sporting person, maybe rival of first] who was the real mvp of [said event]"

Feed into ChatGPT.

Scene: An extravagant palace in a distant exotic location. Bobby and Chuck sit in the opulent surroundings.

Bobby Axelrod: Well, I'm going to manipulate the market so well, you'll think I'm Eddie Merckx during his epic performance at the 1974 Giro d'Italia.

Chuck Rhoades: Huh, I thought you'd be more like Unknown Mongol #1, the real MVP of the Mongol Rally in '04, traversing 10,000 miles in a rusty Soviet car.

Yep, that's why there was a writers' strike.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
^ holy poo poo true

Also Axe got punked in one episode after his glorious return. Can't wait to see how he comes out on top.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Very appropriate finale, all it was missing was a few terrible pop culture references. Maybe they were there and I just tuned them out.

The old billions classic of "Our story makes even less sense if we just tell it in order, so, in the finale we will show how secretly everything has been puppet mastered from the start and we've been intentionally misleading you this whole time! Gotcha!"

Don't mind our extremely illegal, extremely public conspiracy!

Victory Lap fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 27, 2023

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I've just now started watching the last season and drat did the Rhoades kids age like seven years since they were last on screen?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The finale scheme was just the ending of Trading Places but with energy stocks instead of frozen concentrated orange juice futures.

Good finale, felt a bit indulgent with how much wrap up every single character and pairing got, but I understand them wanting to take one last victory lap with these characters.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

For fun I put on the pilot after I watched the finale and holy poo poo I forgot about the insane very first scene lmao. It was also fun seeing how different the characters were at first before everybody embraced the over the top fun of it all.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

D-Pad posted:

For fun I put on the pilot after I watched the finale and holy poo poo I forgot about the insane very first scene lmao. It was also fun seeing how different the characters were at first before everybody embraced the over the top fun of it all.

Does it open with Wendy and Chuck at the dominatrix? Or am I misremembering things?

I do remember Wags being very different in the pilot. Almost like Tuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

EricBauman posted:

Does it open with Wendy and Chuck at the dominatrix? Or am I misremembering things?

I do remember Wags being very different in the pilot. Almost like Tuck

It's Chuck tied up and Wendy puts a cigarette out on his chest then says "here let me make it better" and pisses on him.

Yeah wags is different, they all actually are. Like you can see the seeds of what they become later but it's got quite a different tone than later seasons when they leaned into the ridiculousness.