Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Stadia's works well enough, never planned on getting a PS or Xbox, so playing the free games that my PC hasn't been able to run has been fun. Mostly just game on Switch

If I had to guess the demo that would conventionally pick this up, it would be normies who don't game much, but want to have a Netflix-like way of firing up a game when friends are over. Like having a living room with a couple of Stadia controllers in front of a Chromecast would be ideal

Of course it might never reach those consumers if it's caught in Google-tech nerd territory as many Google products tend to end up. It needs to be free and they need to be pushing Stadia controllers out like they're Google Homes if they have any shot of penetrating a market

I had no problems setting up, but it did seem a little complicated syncing the controller up to Chromecast—needs to be streamlined. Probably won't buy any of these full-priced games yet, but games like Red Dead 2 and FFXV are pretty attractive to me. GTA V would be awesome. They had the balls to put Thumper up which requires a stable, low-lag environment to play well in (rhythm based) so they must be pretty confident in how these games feel to the average consumer

I think Stadia would woo any non-gamer who hasn't been following the news

Spellman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

The problem with going for people who don't follow gaming is that they need the hardware to play this - you're going to need a streaming device, and you're going to need controllers.

Now the streaming device is not a huge deal - plenty of people have a Chromecast, and I'm assuming the world of smart TVs is on Google's plans for Stadia. But still, you need the controllers, and that's a lot of upfront cost.

An idealized Stadia in my opinion would be: you hardly even know it's called Stadia. You're just playing GTAV on a TV, computer or refrigerator without the need for a dedicated console. There's a cheaper controller that they bundle with Chromecasts/put next to them, and you might pick it up and use it as a remote or whatever else it can do. Maybe you can just buy games at retail and they'll give you the controller for 'free' with the purchase. "Stadia" should be invisible

And it kinda does feel this way when you're launching games from PC. No overt Stadia branding past the intro logo. Just a big play button over the last game you played and huge tiles for your other games

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Unfortunately this requires solving basically all of the near infinite issues which will also never happen. And so the Switch still remains king. Looking forward to our local Google rep asking me to list the issues, then never addressing them.

:stadia:

I've brought the Switch to many houseparties, it's fantastically easy to hook up, especially if they've already got an HDMI cable hanging out of their TV for their laptop or whatever. It's trusty!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Hopper posted:

When you think about it that is the really stupid part about the Stadia marketing.
Those hardcore gamers are exactly the kind of people who would actually pay those 2k for a gaming rig and also the ones who have the lowest tolerance for any kind of lag, are most critical of graphics quality and won't like paying full price for a game they don't really own and then a sub for 4k on top.
The whole marketing is rear end backwards. Target this poo poo at the mobile gamers and your golden.

The Switch had it right here, in the already crowded market, they focused on regular people having fun out&about and with each other

They probably thought that hardcore gamers would be the enthusiasts who would tell their friends about this great new technology, b/c it is pretty exciting in theory. But they're also anal, vocal, and honestly rightfully irritated when the company makes huge claims that it isn't exactly delivering on

Google doesn't get it right with marketing hardware, like ever

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Google reels you into a network of apps of which their usefulness improves as you acquire more Google branded hardware

All the big companies do this though. Apple is the king of this, but Microsoft, Samsung, Nintendo, Sony—they all leverage their muscle to varying degrees to keep you tethered to their brands

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh sweet, people are already letting this fake 4K and tepid video quality thing slide. gently caress me.

Nobody cares about 4k, give me smooth playback and low latency

This is a very YMWV product; possibly the ultimate YMWV product

Give your honest experience, srsly

Spellman
May 31, 2011

They could've just called it (replaced) Google Play Games, as Stadia content functions like any other media on your Gmail account. It would be more humble and people would be less assblasted about it. Cause it works fine, they just overpromised

Nobody is excited to even hear the word Stadia anymore, someone at work was complaining about all the ads

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Lord Bob posted:

I also bought Thumper to see if it could handle the latency and it was fine. When I finished the first level i scrolled to the bottom of the leaderboards and 112 people had finished the first level. I wonder if that's gone up since I played last week.

190! it's at 190 now. Breathtaking times.

I haven't bought anything else because of all the obvious reasons (expensive, old games, already got them on other platforms, etc).

drat I'm already good at that game, will I be 191

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Fallom posted:

not because there’s super tech behind it lmao

Nobody thinks this obviously, if they adjusted it that was probably smart altho I haven't read anything about this

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Fallom posted:

That’s definitely not obvious

THEY ARE SHILLS

mostly 😢

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bofast posted:

What are the odds Stadia's upcoming 64-player Bomberman battle royale game mode will mostly end up with people complaining they can't find anyone to matchmake with?

Well if you join a YouTube stream, you should be able to find that match at least

Otherwise, I assure you SimonBelmont_92 will play with you, Human

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I feel this service should drop the con Stadia branding and just make this stuff integrated into the Chromecast/Google Play experience, if they are to salvage anything at all. Just make it so you can play with any controller on PC, and a cheaper controller for Chromecast. It's sooo unappealing as is

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nest Home Security Gaming

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Stadia being playable on everything would be a win for Stadia, but a loss for humanity

It fronted on this notion that it was a free and open platform that would be super handy and practical, with YouTube integration. I'm sure the idea that it was ever going to be a 'cheaper' option was just pro-Google press hype looking back. They have suites of free products, but they're compromised by ads and farming your info. Anything that's cheap or free about Stadia is just more of that in some capacity

If you feel compelled to play suck-rear end cloud-based games, Stadia being an app on consoles makes total sense, particularly with Switch which does not have the capacity to play these games natively. You have the controllers/Joy-Con on your system already, you don't need to buy Google's

I just don't want anything to do with their ecosystem of games for non-Stadia reasons. And I don't think cloud is There yet

Spellman
May 31, 2011

joylessdivision posted:

But I already have Gamepass on my Xbox, why the gently caress would I waste my time with an inferior experience when I can just download and play the games that Stadia offers in better resolution, locally.

Like a normal person who owns a console.

This isn't going to help Stadia at all. Just lol.

If you already have a library on Stadia for whatever reason, having that library accessible on as many devices, especially devices with controllers, would help. A bit like already having a library of iTunes movies, it would be convenient to have them playable on non-Apple devices. I hate iTunes, am frustrated that I bought movies on it, but, having only 9 reasons to hate iTunes instead of 10 helps iTunes

Cloud-based gaming would be better across the board if it were flexible. Xbox Cloud should also be on every console for the same reason

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bad Purchase posted:

It’s not clear from your post if you’re wishing that iTunes option existed or if you already know about it. But just in case you don’t, you can link your Apple account to Movies Anywhere and then your movies will show up in your library on other linked accounts (Amazon, Play Store, etc.). I use this pretty often, except the opposite way. I watch stuff from my Amazon library through iTunes or Apple TV because their stream quality is usually better than Amazon’s.

I didn't think of Movies Anywhere when I was writing the post but ya, that's a good example of consumer-friendliness in streaming

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Stadia was supposed to Free The Games. But just like Ouya, or the Phillips CD-i, it is just too ahead of its time

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Well at least I'll be getting some store credit for that controller. Happy end

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Seems like any developer that has a game worth testing a piece-of-crap cloud version of, will just do it on systems that can't run their software, like Hitman 3, and Kingdom Hearts on Switch. It still sucks but at least it's accessible on a platform you'd actually play on

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Stadia 2

https://play.google.com/googleplaygames#section-games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

PowerBeard posted:

Geforce Now stays winning.

Ubisoft games are a pain to log into in GFN, even Steam games can take their time. But more importantly UCloud seems to hate all my game saves and devours them whenever it gets the chance...

Out of the frying pan and into the fire