Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
to answer your first question: yes i used the candles to summon a Turkey Demon and have spent the past several months attempting to exorcise it from my in-law's new addition. when lit they filled the house with a rich brothy aroma which still lingers + haunts me. i didn't update the thread because i got distracted and wandered off.

hello! it's your ol pal phiz, former host of BYOB's haikusday and inspiritor of the TRUCKFUCKLERS gang tag. you probably remember me from the time i called you a white nationalist and told you to climb up my rear end and pilot me like a meat-gundam. i'm not sorry! i've done a bunch of other inexcusably online poo poo under a variety of undisclosable monikers, including more than one screengrab in an old Weekend Web feature. PYF's forum quotes thread has also quoted several of my posts, including the ones about my wife breeding a man-sized swarm of beetles. none of these are actual qualifications. I was at the last National Poetry Slam before the whole organization went bankrupt. I'm banned on the MENSA forums. Legally I'm still considered an admiral by the state of Pennsylvania. Which is landlocked.

I used to write for Cracked and a bunch of way less notable websites. I want to write for this one. I have wanted to write for Something Awful since I discovered it, three days after getting my first home internet connection. Now I think I'm finally funny enough to do so. I can edit video okay and I also do audio. I'm eager to do an epic fantasy audiobook satire because as a teen I read so much Sword of Truth it pickled my brain. I think that might resonate with the site's audience. I know tabletop RPG podcasts are super popular, I could helm something like that.

To demonstrate my power I went ahead and recorded 12 minutes of me reading some wizard smut I wrote years ago. It's extremely not work safe. I read a later story when I was the feature at a poetry open mic and, during an android j/o scene, used a portable power drill for sound effects, if you were curious how Weird I am capable of getting. (very Weird.)

What follows is a short sample article of something I could do in like a GQ ad copy voice:

quote:

EVERYMAN: A Product from Unilever

Are you at home? Work? School? Gym? Are you in a car? Restaurant? A car-based restaurant while you make important business calls on your table-sized smartphone? Brilliant. You can be in a location even more so with EVERYMAN.
What is EVERYMAN? Why, it’s you and me, partner. It’s formulated to do what it needs to in the places where it’s wanted. Organic and gluten free variants available to experienced purchasers. EVERYMAN does not show up on drug tests and ships discreetly from 40 traphouses worldwide. EVERYMAN: Not just a man, EVERYMAN.
Who needs EVERYMAN? I’m shocked a Rhodes scholar like yourself even have to ask. If you’re a guybro dudefella who hain’t been able to muster up the same whiz-bang giddyup as when he was younger, you should take EVERYMAN. If you bust your achin’ back haulin’ marlins for Skipper, brother you should already be taking EVERYMAN. Even harried housewives who struggle to grow the luxurious beards of their dreams can supplement their cob salad and wine diet with a half-tablet nightly.
You’ve got a good house, on a good street. Your car is good, smelling of rich leather and pipe tobacco, and you acquired these things through the use of Commerce. Your life is good. So good! But is it so good that it couldn’t be great?
EVERYMAN has a superlitude of medically identified engreateners, including Fleshtite, Meatsphere, and Luxor. It has the nootropics praised by the internet’s most hatewatched libertarians. Phytonutrients, both micro and macro, in flavors previously thought impossible. Blockchain verified bidets. CDB dog treats. Taste EVERYMAN: CLOUD the world’s first vapeworthy body-gruel. Cram our edible goo in your Lungblaster custom rig, decagrams at a time. Carve out a walnut sized glob of our earwax looking bullshit and blast it through your awful skull. EVERYMAN vapes now!
You’ve forgotten how to jerk off without a cruel goth mistress whispering instructions into your noise cancelling headphones. EVERYMAN can change that, for the better. The cruelest goths imaginable will descend upon your modest home to insult your decor and choice in table settings. They will crawl over your nice appliances, hissing and cackling at the dust they discover. They will tear free your molding and demand you install tacky vinyl prints they bought from Hobby Lobby. You will stand proudly before them, flaccid as a Hannity punchline, not even jerking off a little.
EVERYMAN: We’re Weird About Jerking Off, Now. (Trademark.)

I understand Lowtax might not see this for a while & that's fine he needs rest so, dear forums compatriots, what kind of poo poo would you want to have me create for your enjoyment? let's get a bouquet ready. please be gentle it took several months of psyching-up to make this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machinegun Arm!
Oct 22, 2008

It's been a ruff day
oh no

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Get on up there, Heero Yaoi, pilot of the MS my muscular buttox

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
There's a front page?!?!

Edit: poo poo thought this was a gbs post my bad so sorry

interwhat fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 4, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
It can't be worse than the current frontpage writers.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think the OP should be allowed to write for the front page

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I agree.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

You know what I'm all about making dreams come true so I say let the OP write for the front page, why not

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Seconded

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
yeah why not

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Is this still active? Does the OP still want to come write for the front page? If so I can try to help set up a meeting with Lowtax. I don't know what he's looking for right now in general but if you want to jump in head first I know we need people for Photoshop Phridays, I could plug you in real fast there.

The front page doesn't pay writers anymore and it probably never will again, just so you know up front. But volunteers really are appreciated, I'm sorry nobody noticed you sooner. PM me if you're still interested.

Edit- this goes for anybody interested in volunteering, there are, obviously, lots of open positions.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 3, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
this thread needs to go on the front page, i think: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902396

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I agree with the OP and with this thread, and with the thread that was posted by the OP in this thread

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Dick Bastardly posted:

I agree with the OP and with this thread, and with the thread that was posted by the OP in this thread

a good idea for a frontpage article would be a thread, in this, the frontpage discussion forum. then people can submit longform stuff they write, and maybe once in a while one or two can get plucked and posted? i don't know.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I'd be down for this thread becoming a place for submitting ideas for articles, we need a resource like that. If a mod could give it the Humor tag instead that might be nice.

Here's the low-down on getting published: there are currently plans for a major push next year on the front page, including more regular Phridays, the rebirth of Comedy Goldmine, and other cosmic wonders yet to be seen. The #1 thing we need for this to happen is volunteers: writers, editors, artists, musicians, animators, programmers, web developers, marketers, community outreach people and more. There are lots of open slots for original content but everything has to be approved by Lowtax (including just basic access permissions) and right now we're giving him some space, so the best way for anybody to join up is to start on existing properties he's already approved (Phridays and Goldmine). I know curating the forums is not very glamorous but it's really the only thing I can offer right now. If you are interested in volunteering even just a few hours a week, PM me and I will:

1- be your new best friend.
2- do everything I can to find opportunities for your original content on the front page when the right channels for submitting to Lowtax reopen.

In the meantime if you just want to post things in here that might make cool articles that's fine, but I can not guarantee the big boss will read them any time soon. HP and I are both in pretty regular contact with Rich but he has his plate full right now and there's jack we can do about it except support him from a respectable distance. What I can do is push for people who already work for us to be first in line for his attention when it's available again.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

HP and I are both in pretty regular contact with Rich but he has his plate full right now and there's jack we can do about it except support him from a respectable distance. What I can do is push for people who already work for us to be first in line for his attention when it's available again.

rich is kinda occupied. it's not a huge giant rear end deal but i mean, life before internet, i think.

if he didn't like SA it wouldn't exist. forum posters being funny and smart and interesting can make it to the frontpage, i mean i'm a friggin' post toxx thread mental health breakdown idiot and i'm helping with phridays. if i can do it, u can also.

honestly phiz i love ur posts. if i can help you get poo poo done, i will.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i'm still 100% committed to the ideas i've pitched to BFM and lowtax. i just got a better mic and i'd love to run a SomethingAwful RPG podcast.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
also bookmarking this thread will help me notice when it's posted in.

heather if you had to do a "Fashion SWAT" type article where we riff on some images/videos about a subject, what would you choose

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sound like Trump then read A Fancy Hat posts

It’s a sure fire way of making people laugh, angry, or confused. Maybe SA can get in the books for being the first (and shittiest) Deep Fake or something

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

also bookmarking this thread will help me notice when it's posted in.

heather if you had to do a "Fashion SWAT" type article where we riff on some images/videos about a subject, what would you choose

i think the weird video game/super hero branded "high fashion" collections would be funny. or cosplay swat? also going and doing like a lolita/ganguro thru the ages would rule.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Heather Papps posted:

i think the weird video game/super hero branded "high fashion" collections would be funny. or cosplay swat? also going and doing like a lolita/ganguro thru the ages would rule.

i love that idea
- "high fashion" nerd poo poo
- political wankers like roger stone and duerterte (i've got a funny story about roger stone)
- racist militias and other far-right culture warriors (sup baked alaska)
- masked DJs
- dipshit internet celebrities
- televangelists
- bollywood action scenes.

Overseas fashion in general would be rich pickings, especially focusing on how america has influenced other countries. In addition to ganguro, there's a subtype of nordic redneck who wear biker jackets and fly confederate flags. Africa has a thriving 80s style metal scene, and I'm sure there's something happening in Russia we could use as well.

On the Bollywood note, there's two separate films whose opening theme features the main character interfering in a footrace. There's gotta be something going on there.
we also gotta use this one, because it's got a fetus pole dancing.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 2, 2020

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

If we got a steady Fashion SWAT esque or WTF D&D type review feature going again it would do a lot towards filling in the schedule. I loved those articles so much I copied the format shamelessly back in the late 00's, it'd be great to revisit.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
is this anything?

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

IT IS DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS AND MY CHARACTER IS: A FORKLIFT OPERATOR.

My class? OSHA. My race? Hooligans Local 420. I am nudest while wearing PPE and a mesh hi-viz vest. I am Tokyo Drifting a pallet of roofing tiles into tier 2 of an unsecured 5 tier stack. Even as a bystander, I am riding dirty.
Tomb of Horrors? Amazon Warehouse. Spot the differences, goblins, skeletons animated by fell magicks, Jeff Bezos just a bejeweled skull who will never stop grinning. I am making William Tell Overture sounds with my mouth, charging at an army of kobolds. I am rounding the corner with forks raised, two dripping shishkabobs of experience points.
I have gained all the levels. I am mastering new feats. I am expanding my forklift proficiencies and practicing Stunts in my downtime. Watch me open this can of beer. Watch me do on two wheels what fools cannot do on four. Watch me make sport of mastery, as I crush every combat beneath my Neverflat tires.
I am tooting my little beep-beep at intersections. I am activating my flashers while under load. I am refraining from using hand-held electronic devices while in transit and always check my blind spots.
I am carrying the team's loot on a secured, plastic-wrapped pallet. I am extending my forks to bridge a spike pit. I am holding aloft our halfing archer, that they might have a better vantage point from which to rain a volley of death.
I am a stretcher for a slain champion of Gruumsh, felled by an intransigent golem. There is a sheet tied from my forks in a crude semblence of a stretcher. I am tooting my solemn, funerary beep-beep. I am making dirge noises with my mouth as the half orc is laid to rest beneath a pile of murdered horses.
I am tearing up my OSHA 40 hour card. There is only rage, now, rage and a forklift. I am forklifting apart the walls of the Tomb of Horrors. I am pulling down the devil's mouth that surrounds Acerack's portable hole. I am erecting caution tape around that hungry void, that none should fall prey to the stupidest of all possible deaths.
I am forklifting down doors. I am forklifting mimics and treasure chests alike. I beep my toot-toot in rage. Goblins flee. Hobgoblins flee. Bugbears are destroyed, ground to a stubborn pulp by my engine of destruction, the steely extension of my will upon the world, my will to forklift, and to be forklifted in return.
Acerack sits upon a throne upon a dias, in a room accessible only through sorcery or forklifting. It is laughing, it's eye sockets two huge glittering gems, it's sharp teeth pointed crystals. "Charge, mortal!" It shrieks "Charge, if you dare!"
And I do, so I do, and I am the winner, by the power and glory of Gygax, forever and ever, Amen.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

is this anything?

Imo it's a good pitch for an article. If you could write it as a narrative of this character having an "adventure" instead of directly explaining their characteristics I think it could be a wonderful article.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
^^ Thank you for your feedback. I was going for a specific tone similar to these pieces but I can see I may have missed a mark.

put the byob goldmine on the front page: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=176

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

^^ Thank you for your feedback. I was going for a specific tone similar to these pieces but I can see I may have missed a mark.

Could just be my ignorance. What you wrote is funny. I think it sort of put me in mind of Zack's "Blue Stripe" series and my brain just went to "oh it should be more like that." But of course it's silly to expect someone to just copy another's style and not really fair to compare anyone to Zack.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I still think the OP should be allowed to write for the front page

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

So do I! So if you happen to see Lowtax around do bug him about it, this has all been on his to-do list for months now and there are a bunch of people pissed off.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm not pissed off. I understand dude's in a poo poo sandwich of a position and it's not like i've got a handle on my life right now either. Me and Papps should have something forthcoming shortly.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, good point. People are frustrated, I should say. I'm frustrated. But it's also understandable.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Yeah, good point. People are frustrated, I should say. I'm frustrated. But it's also understandable.

I'm bemused but that's my general outlook. I got my username on the fp, and a few images in the articles proper. If this ride ends here I'd be happy but I'd much rather :regd08:!!!

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

... laid to rest beneath a pile of murdered horses.

This is beautiful, man.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Xaintrailles posted:

This is beautiful, man.

thanku :> my dnd games were NOT ASPCA endorsed.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
>:3

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
enjoy ur next 2 months dude :cheers:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Can I reuse the gameboy rpg reviews I wrote in the early 2000s for content.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lucavi posted:

enjoy ur next 2 months dude :cheers:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

If we got a steady Fashion SWAT esque or WTF D&D type review feature going again it would do a lot towards filling in the schedule. I loved those articles so much I copied the format shamelessly back in the late 00's, it'd be great to revisit.

WTF D&D should probably be expanded to WTF RPG in name; the terrible EP campaign modules Devotees and Glory would be pretty good grist for such... though it might call for some pixelation in the latter. :nms: :suicide: I'd recommend hitting up Purple XVI or Mors Rattus for that.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 21, 2020

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

WTF D&D should probably be expanded to WTF RPG in name; the terrible EP campaign modules Devotees and Glory would be pretty good grist for such... though it might call for some pixelation in the latter. :nms: :suicide: I'd recommend hitting up Purple XVI or Mors Rattus for that.

I really like "WTF RPG", especially if we can get Zach and Steve to sign off on it. Or maybe even join in...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

If you can't, find a new name and hit up those users, they do good work over in the FATAL and Friends thread. I figure they may as well get a paycheck for it. open_sketchbook, the person doing the Flying Circus RPG posts here, IIRC, and it's pretty promising. Might be a real coup if you can get exclusive behind the scenes or even early examples of play for the column, if you want something positive as well as real horrors.

A Let's Play Of The Month might be a good option as well.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 21, 2020