Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i've probably played ff5 four or five times at this point and i still couldn't tell you what it was about, except for the whole Freelancer with two knightswords casting swdmagic and big guard, and Mimes with doublecast with full spell list things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a magic tree that hates everything and you need to stop it. Also characters who once kicked its rear end in the past go on to cameo as FFXIII achievements

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Alec Eiffel posted:

Goddamn, I suck at Final Fantasy: Tactics: War of the Lions. I thought maybe I just sucked at it because I was young when I originally played OG FFT on a PSX, but no, I’m just terrible at it.

Here's the helpful tips on How To Make FFT Easier:

1) Don't use Squires, don't use Knights. The jobs are bad and the skillsets are bad.
2) Magic is based on the Faith of the caster and the target.
3) Action economy is the most important thing
4) Thus in keeping with points 2 and 3, you want crucial spells to not suck. If you're having someone be on White Mage duty, make sure they have high Faith and Good compatibility with the rest of your team.
5) Actually just make sure everyone has high Faith.
6) And Black Magic or Summon.
7) Seriously the magic jobs in FFT are so broken.
8) Like seriously the worst one is "I use guns and cast instant AOE Faith-agnostic Sleep".
9) Also don't use Archers or Thieves.
10) Monks are alright, as are Dragoons, Geomancers, Ninjas, and Samurai (actually those last three are really good).
11) Keep multiple save files.
12) Haste everything.
13) I mean seriously Haste everything.
14) I'm not joking you can ignore the other things I'm saying if you follow this. Get someone with high Faith and Good compatibility with the rest of your team (Ramza can work well for this because he starts with 70 Faith), level them up in Chemist and Black Mage until they get Time Mage, and then just start every battle with them casting Haste on your team. Congrats, you've now solved 95% of FFT fights.
15) But seriously don't use Archers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also if you want to raise faith for any reason whatsoever get ready to grind for loving ages because its tedious as hell to do so try to recruit faith high.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i would say something like, "well just cast Faith" but uh

you need high Faith to get Faith (the spell/status effect) to stick

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i would say something like, "well just cast Faith" but uh

you need high Faith to get Faith (the spell/status effect) to stick

Yep my third attempt at the game died somewhere around turn 400 of watching faith miss

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

my favorite part of fft definitely is how one's sheer stubborn atheism can make them immune to magic

robots are also innately innocent and thus can't be magic-ed

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Can’t get burned by fire you don’t believe in.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

S.J. posted:

The Knight is really just there as an early game damage sponge while unlocking other classes. The break abilities are awful. It's literally my one huge complaint about the game.

The problem with the break abilities is that they are poo poo for you but great on the enemy.

Anyway, Speed Break is good, lower an enemies' speed down to 1 while mopping up the rest then grind up some JP. The others do suck. The equip abilities are better.

I would not neglect Squire; Move +1, Gained JP up, Throw Stone and Dash(? Is that what it's called, it's been a while, the guaranteed hit + high knockback rate skill) all have decent uses. I would try and get everyone the first two at least.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Accumulate is super good both as a way to grind JP and a way to set up hilarious situations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I had this at first - six hours into my playthrough I decided to start over again because I didn't like the job combinations I picked. Then I thought I'd try picking two jobs that are opposites of each other or very different to each other in general, and I found I enjoyed it a lot more.
The best thing you can do is use all 12 classes so that you don't get locked out of any useful equipment or abilities. You can only have three people in your party at once, so if a character is situational you can just save them for that situation.

Also: everyone gains LP, even people not in your party, but not everyone gains XP. But in TZA, LP is way more important than XP anyway.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
FFX update:

* Why am I subjecting myself to chasing butterflies, dodging lightning bolts, and a stupid chocobo race, and why does FF put in such stupid minigames to get the ultimate weapons? At least I finally got the butterflies.
* Oops, I guess I shouldn't have gone back to Besaid Village. Dark Valefor was guarding it. I just wanted Valefor's better Overdrive. :(
* Oops, I walked too far on the road near Djose and got blown away by the Dark Magus Sisters. Wow, unavoidable stumble-upon-able super boss fights are a great idea!
* Holy cow, Anima and the Magus Sisters are powerful.
* I used some Black Magic spheres to give Yuna all the -aga spells. Now she completely blows Lulu out of the water due to her comparatively much higher MAG stat. Sorry, Lulu.
* Seymour's backstory is messed up.

I know a lot of these comments sound like complaints, but I'm just being picky (and my tolerance for stupid minigames is pretty low). I'll probably move on to finish the story next.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

the dark aeons are stupid and their placements are stupider and you shouldn't feel bad for complaining about them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

werdnam posted:

FFX update:

* Why am I subjecting myself to chasing butterflies, dodging lightning bolts, and a stupid chocobo race, and why does FF put in such stupid minigames to get the ultimate weapons? At least I finally got the butterflies.
* Oops, I guess I shouldn't have gone back to Besaid Village. Dark Valefor was guarding it. I just wanted Valefor's better Overdrive. :(
* Oops, I walked too far on the road near Djose and got blown away by the Dark Magus Sisters. Wow, unavoidable stumble-upon-able super boss fights are a great idea!
* Holy cow, Anima and the Magus Sisters are powerful.
* I used some Black Magic spheres to give Yuna all the -aga spells. Now she completely blows Lulu out of the water due to her comparatively much higher MAG stat. Sorry, Lulu.
* Seymour's backstory is messed up.

I know a lot of these comments sound like complaints, but I'm just being picky (and my tolerance for stupid minigames is pretty low). I'll probably move on to finish the story next.
Some of these are legit though, the remaster is way worse than the original. The game actively looks worse despite the higher resolutions, and adding in the international edition summons was a huge mistake. Also yeah, Lulu is worthless in the back half because Yuna is straight-up stronger.

The FFX-2 remaster is okay because it doesn't have the bullshit content jammed in poorly, or the awful, awful face redesign that makes Tidus look like poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you can either play it legit or emulate it, and you really want to play FFX, play the PS2 version. Trust me on this. It is a better game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yuna is better than lulu because her ultimate weapon is way easier to get. this is why she, rikku, and auron are the best characters in the game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

yuna is better than lulu because her ultimate weapon is way easier to get. this is why she, rikku, and auron are the best characters in the game

Oh hey look my final party

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yuna is better than lulu because her overdrive doesn't require you to spin the analog stick 20 times in 3 seconds just to cast a 66% power Ultima more than once

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lulu would be the strongest party member but she sealed her powers behind six hundred belts for the safety of spira

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you can either play it legit or emulate it, and you really want to play FFX, play the PS2 version. Trust me on this. It is a better game.

Sorry, you'll pry the no encounter, x4 speed, and auto-battle toggles from the PC version out of my cold, dead hands.

Tell me more, though, about how the PS2 version looks better. This is counterintuitive to me and I'm intrigued.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Help Im Alive posted:

Lulu would be the strongest party member but she sealed her powers behind six hundred belts for the safety of spira

i'm sad there wasn't ever a moment where lulu stares at anima and goes /nice/ at her aesthetic

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

werdnam posted:

Tell me more, though, about how the PS2 version looks better. This is counterintuitive to me and I'm intrigued.

The differences between the PS2 version and HD remake are as follows:

- PS2 looks a fair bit worse
- PS2 has substantially better music quality

That's it. They have all the same content, unless you play the North American PS2 release which doesn't have the Dark Aeons/Penance (and very minor rebalancing of like one enemy) added for the International release.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The international content is hot garbage in FFX so yeah, not a fan of that. Should have made it a toggle

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

werdnam posted:

They massively hosed up whatever they were using for facial animations in the transition, so you get really bad cases of characters in cutscenes just being massively stonefaced. Low res as the PS2 version is, it had a lot of nice little subtle facial animation details in scenes that just got washed away with the new models.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ffx is way better with the international sphere grid yall are nuts

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
following up on the ff7 remako mod - i confirmed that the base Steam version plays the proper version of the soundtrack, but the moddable version you need to create for Remako to work reverts to the crappy 1998 PC version of the songs

it's the darndest thing

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Oxxidation posted:

following up on the ff7 remako mod - i confirmed that the base Steam version plays the proper version of the soundtrack, but the moddable version you need to create for Remako to work reverts to the crappy 1998 PC version of the songs

it's the darndest thing

I'm not sure what's going wrong for you buddy, I did the conversion and installed remako and it 100% has the original music. Did you mess about with the music files at all?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

I'm not sure what's going wrong for you buddy, I did the conversion and installed remako and it 100% has the original music. Did you mess about with the music files at all?

nope, and i redid the whole process just to make sure

the 1998 files literally don't exist anywhere in the FF7 directory so my only guess is that the modded version is playing the original music files with a different codec or something

subujun
Mar 31, 2010
Speaking of Final Fantasy X: I just got my hands on the switch port of the HD collection. I've only ever played the original US PS2 version way back so I've never fought the Dark Aeons or Penance. Is it even remotely worth it to fight them legit by maxing out the sphere grid (which I also never did and sounds like a pain) or does just paying Yojimbo work on them? I feel like I remember using Yojimbo on the monster arena when I played the original game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You can absolutely just pay Yojimbo to gently caress them up, and you should.

e: except the one that revives when you kill it (bahamut?)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Merilan posted:

my favorite part of fft definitely is how one's sheer stubborn atheism can make them immune to magic

robots are also innately innocent and thus can't be magic-ed

Black mages fling dozens of fireballs at Ramza, who remains completely unflinched. "Why won't you die?" they yell.

Ramza tips his fedora at them and chuckles. "HEH, God's not real."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arist posted:

You can absolutely just pay Yojimbo to gently caress them up, and you should.

e: except the one that revives when you kill it (bahamut?)

It is, ironically enough, Dark Yojimbo

And technically you can yojimbo him too, the problem is you need to do it like 5 times in a row which is painfully low odds.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

(then he punches them all to death)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fister Roboto posted:

Black mages fling dozens of fireballs at Ramza, who remains completely unflinched. "Why won't you die?" they yell.

Ramza tips his fedora at them and chuckles. "HEH, God's not real."

"Because I killed 'em."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

"Because I killed 'em."

he said god's not real not god is dead

and he's right, if god was real in ivalice he would've killed vaan and reks would've been the perspective character in ff12

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

he said god's not real not god is dead

and he's right, if god was real in ivalice he would've killed vaan and reks would've been the perspective character in ff12

Looks like someone else didnt realize that if Gabranth is Basch then Vaan is Reks

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm glad we're talking about FFT again because just last night I transferred all my emulator stuff to my newer laptop and jumped back into it. My most recent save state was right before the Cu Chulainn fight and lol I forgot how much of a kick in the dick that fight is.

I loving love this game :allears:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Trasson posted:

Here's the helpful tips on How To Make FFT Easier:

1) Don't use Squires, don't use Knights. The jobs are bad and the skillsets are bad.
2) Magic is based on the Faith of the caster and the target.
3) Action economy is the most important thing
4) Thus in keeping with points 2 and 3, you want crucial spells to not suck. If you're having someone be on White Mage duty, make sure they have high Faith and Good compatibility with the rest of your team.
5) Actually just make sure everyone has high Faith.
6) And Black Magic or Summon.
7) Seriously the magic jobs in FFT are so broken.
8) Like seriously the worst one is "I use guns and cast instant AOE Faith-agnostic Sleep".
9) Also don't use Archers or Thieves.
10) Monks are alright, as are Dragoons, Geomancers, Ninjas, and Samurai (actually those last three are really good).
11) Keep multiple save files.
12) Haste everything.
13) I mean seriously Haste everything.
14) I'm not joking you can ignore the other things I'm saying if you follow this. Get someone with high Faith and Good compatibility with the rest of your team (Ramza can work well for this because he starts with 70 Faith), level them up in Chemist and Black Mage until they get Time Mage, and then just start every battle with them casting Haste on your team. Congrats, you've now solved 95% of FFT fights.
15) But seriously don't use Archers.

The only things I disagree with here are what I call "transition jibs" that you need to use for a little while to unlock better classes. You can't avoid the lovely classes completely so just grind chocobo fights with your best units and use the good classes for story fights.

And I can't emphasize having, not even kidding, at LEAST 5 save slots for it. I personally use 10 because storage space is meaningless.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is it true that in the original Japanese Yuna says "Thank you" to Tidus at the end instead of "I love you" like in the dub?

I heard this forever ago in the bad old days of s hipping wars and it just came back to my mind when contemplating FFX having a central love story yet still having relationship mechanics and how bizarre that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

NikkolasKing posted:

Is it true that in the original Japanese Yuna says "Thank you" to Tidus at the end instead of "I love you" like in the dub?

I heard this forever ago in the bad old days of s hipping wars and it just came back to my mind when contemplating FFX having a central love story yet still having relationship mechanics and how bizarre that is.

A quick peek at youtube tells me that it is true, though obviously cultural and linguistical differences mean stuff like is always hard to compare one-to-one. Well, not like there's much ambiguity about the matter either way.