Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
On a completely different note I found it jarringly funny how the fan translations of the manga kept alternating between calling them Ram and Rem or Lam and Lem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nipponophile posted:

I mean, unless they're ever explicitly spelled out using the Roman alphabet, translators have to make a best effort guess on these things.

If you spell Rem in katakana, you get レム.

If you spell Lem, you also get レム.

So if you're going the other way, how do you spell レム in English? There's no way to tell.

I know, that's why it's funny. It reminds me of a very badly translated article I once read that translated a man named Lockwood as Rockwood despite the latter obviously not being his name.

More importantly, Lem is just a funny name for an anime maid because it conjures up, for me, a backwoods hick sitting on a porch with a bloodhound and a banjo.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 26, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Kinda tasteless to title the episode "Rem Dead, So What?" IMO

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Rem really is the Aerith of Re:Zero.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I assume Subaru remembers the forgotten because he's outside of the normal flow of time?

Why does Puck?

I'm guessing it's because Puck's a spirit and therefore the Witch Cult brainfuckery doesn't work on him. If that's the case then the same will be true for Beatrice I suppose.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
New ED is pretty good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's the OP.

It's pretty good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just realized that the Witch of Greed apparently stole Andy Rooney's eyebrows.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Then make one yourself Grouchio. You're presumably a big boy who can do hard things like pressing the button on an internet forum.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I know it won't happen but I kinda want to see Subaru die in comically mundane situations this normal life in Japan thing I guess we're getting. Oops, electrocuted by a rice cooker, time to return by death! poo poo, slipped and fell down the stairs, gotta fix things by moving my little sister's toy car!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lt. Lizard posted:

Being able to redo the conversation with the witch would be interesting, so I am hoping for that. Plus I am really curious if she would react to Return by Death.

Since it's associated with Satella, who killed her and her pals, probably not well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mindblast posted:

Well they all have names that suggest they're terrible people so until further development these magic ladies get no sympathy from me. :v:

What have you got against small spiny anteaters?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's odd, though, because I've seen another character called Satella in a completely different series, except that was a nickname and the character's real name was an utterly bizarre made-up name.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Annointed posted:

I'm curious as to why the Witch of Sloth needed to fight a dragon "over a waterfall" to get some sleep.

The dragon was her neighbor and kept running his leafblower at night.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Furnaceface posted:

No. I require a 14+ paragraph effort post to explain it.

What have you done

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This loving show.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raenir Salazar posted:

Roswaal's actions for an IRL comparison is the famous example of Churchill infamously deciding to let Coventry be bombed by the Germans instead of risking informing them that they had cracked the enigma.

You mean a specific thing that didn't actually happen? Interesting analogy considering return by death and all.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raenir Salazar posted:

Anime isn't real either? I don't get your point here. Whether the event happened or not doesn't really have bearing as an analogy for Roswaal's motivations.

If you're drawing an IRL comparison you should make sure the event you're using actually happened. Like if I said that Roswaal blowing up the mabeasts at the end of the mansion arc was like how Perseus and the Athenian triremes rode to the rescue of the Spartans at Thermopylae I'd expect to be endlessly dunked on, or at least corrected on my inaccurate knowledge of history.

You posted something historically false and I, being a historian, corrected you while trying to keep the post relevant to discussing this wonderful show. It's not rocket surgery.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Did you know this show is #1 this week on Anime Trending?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sazabi posted:

How many loops did it take for this outcome?

Well, the first time I had t

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Elsa hurt Patrasche and now I hope she dies horribly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want to give Rem a big hug and tell her things will be OK.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AnoHito posted:

Pretty sure the trials are generally the same for everyone: "Face the worst part of your past (and presumably present and future)"

I think Emilia's past is just more painful than most.

The fact she cries out for Subaru while saying she's sorry whenever she wakes from the trial makes me think it has something to do with the last plot arc.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LostRook posted:

Something fun to note is that we've previously heard the name Hoshin from Garfiel's idiom in this episode. It happens to be the same last name of Anastasia Hoshin, one of the candidates to be king.

While some of his sayings are nonsense, some actually are drawn from the lore.

I'm pretty sure everything he says is actually lore of some sort, we (Subaru and the anime audience, dunno about the LN) just aren't privy to the details.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A big flaming stink posted:

so judging from the silhouettes shown earlier in the season, the little girl is typhon, the chick in the coffin is....daphne, i think? and the explosion girl is minerva?

leaving camilla, sekhmet, and satella as the remaining no-shows?

When you said explosion girl I was hoping against hope it'd be Megumin.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Satella is a really high maintenance lover isn't she?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dzhay posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that the guiding intelligence of Subaru's power (and hence possibly whatever was going on at the end of the last episode) actually is Satella, rather than some semi-autonomous thing she created.

Considering how we know almost nothing specific about what Satella is capable of, power-wise, other than granting Subaru the Return by Death power and telekenetically ganking anyone he tells about it (barring Echidna so far), I'm not sure this is supportable.

Goddamn this franchise is so good. I love that it inspires these kinds of debates.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MonsterEnvy posted:

Remember that Subaru does not want to die. He thinks death is a super horrible thing to go through. He has only killed himself in situations he really wanted to fix, and even then with a good deal of hesitation.

That's one of the brilliant things about the story. A less thoughtful author wouldn't include the detail that despite it not technically mattering because Subaru will apparently always respawn, death still loving sucks to experience and because he remembers everything that happens in the failed loops, Subaru is constantly on the verge of a well-earned complete emotional and physical breakdown.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dzhay posted:

So could Subaru give elf-clone girl the order "Do not feel obliged to follow any orders, past or future, from Echidna or her representatives"? Because I would have at least tried that.

Subaru is obviously trying to get as much information on the base state of things this time around (witness his conversation with Garf at the end), and trying to do something that major would obviously throw a huge, completely unpredictable variable into the equation, and that's exactly what Subaru doesn't want at the moment. Assuming it worked at all, which is also totally unknowable from his perspective.

I'm also kind of surprised we didn't see Roswaal this episode (or did we see some of his memories and don't know it yet?) but then again this show has never hesitated to leave plot threads hanging for a few episodes after a major revelation.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 9, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grouchio posted:

I need a drat good echidna gif as a new avatar.

And I need a lot of things but I don't beg strangers on a forum for them. Are you on some bizarre version of the internet where Something Awful is the only website you have access to? If not, use loving google you absurd little man.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 10, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LostRook posted:

With how much stuff has been skipped, you ought to be reading the whole series and the side story books as well. That's 16 books to just get to where this episode ends. No better time to get started.

Good Lord that's a lot.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hope there's more Minerva. I'm oddly smitten with her character and I don't know why.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

he's a self-loathing teenager and she's a pretty girl who was nice to him

I amplified this for you based on my own experiences as a teenager who was a bit too similar to Subaru for comfort.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 24, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AlternateNu posted:

Second pretty girl who was nice to him killed him first.

Taking the very direct way to his heart.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kazy posted:

Did anyone else get Homestuck vibes from the varying caps?

Nope.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Seriously, he was getting himself psyched up to ask if Emilia was down for a threesome when she dropped the "Who's Rem?" bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I gotta say, of all the possible endings for this half-season I absolutely did not expect it to be Otto going full Fairy Tail and punching Subaru while talking about friendship. Can't say it wasn't satisfying though.