Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Wrong thread?

So wife and I are watching the directors cut of s1 after watching s1 maybe 3 years ago.

Just finished 8(15?) Holy poo poo the last 5 minutes of that episode is still bonkers. I think it's maybe my favorite ending to an episode of anime ever. Maybe just the best sequence ever.

Just a full body experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
This episode was a gut punch. My dad passed a few years ago, before I ever got my poo poo together. I graduated, got married and he didn't get to see it.

Thanks for the feels re:zero

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 4, 2020

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Roswaal is I think a giant loving idiot. Like if Subaru didn't essentially have to ability to time travel every decision he's made would have been actually the worst possible one.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

AlternateNu posted:

I'm trying to remember how far back (e.g.; which timeline iteration) was the scene where Rem dies in the mansion and everyone thinks Subaru was responsible. Then, due to Beako initiating a pact with Subaru to protect him, all the mansion's big guns (Ram/Roswaal/Beatrice) turn on each other.

Roswaal's whole "keikaku doori!" moment doesn't make sense if it was devised prior to the point that loop is initiated.

Maybe I wasn't reading the scene properly, but that whole interaction back in season 1 never made much sense to me.

Yeah it's weird. Also the implication that roswaal dies, at least it is to me. Why would he even pick a fight with a great spirit? Dudes a loving idiot

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's played for laughs but the Memory Snow OVA shows Puck and Roswaal had a full DBZ-style fight when they first encountered each other, which they both look fondly back on as having been quite "exciting".

I assumed that was either bullshit or puck humoring him. I hate to be a mega nerd but roswaal doesn't rank on any of nagatsuki's power rankings lol

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Annointed posted:

WAIT SO Beatrice is part of the witch’s cult and let Elsa kill everyone, and let Elsa into her library so Elsa can kill Subaru. And made sure it was Elsa killing Subaru and not Subaru killing himself as it’s not part of the cult’s book’s prophecy. And now the village head and Garfield are trying to pull a gambit and get Emilia to succeed the trials by having Subaru kidnapped also cause Subaru is full of Witch Scent now.

I am having difficulty understanding wait

So is Mother? Did Beatrice say “Mother” so like are the Witches or at least one of them the creator of Beatrice???

I assume because all the great spirits were created by satella, weren't they? Or at least that seemed implied in the movie.

Err maybe not all... but the beast of the end was I believe, and Beatrice saw puck as kin and she is also a great spirit therefore?

Edit edit: on further review it seems satella is never named, the only thing referred to is a witch.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 20, 2020

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
that was great.

it was like the head in lap scene from season 1 but even more cathartic i imagine for subaru. though it was depicted as less, i think. idk!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

AnoHito posted:

Pretty sure the trials are generally the same for everyone: "Face the worst part of your past (and presumably present and future)"

I think Emilia's past is just more painful than most.

She's probably less equipped to handle them also. Being like 7 years old or whatever mentally.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Nitrousoxide posted:

Was this something from the movie? I don't remember anything like this coming up in the show so far.

Ya the movie sorry. I didn't think it was off limits?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
So since the witch of envy killed and kind of assumed the powers of all the other witches, is it much of a stretch to assume that maybe they are imperfect replications?

Like maybe the gospel is based on this book that Beatrice has, but Beatrices is the original? The gospel is an imperfect replication and does not tell the future. I guess it would work some other way. Maybe the witch of envy writes it herself.

Anyway, perhaps the book Beatrice has is echidnas and that's her creation and thus the gospel is (part?) Of what envy stole from her.

Just spit balling

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
It's wild this dude went from not knowing what a witch even is to meeting 5 of them in like 10 minutes. Including his stalker.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Didn't satella create all the mabeasts? Other than the whale rabbit and serpent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I like how the satella scenes were basically the worst timeline confirmation.

Satella returns to the physical world - check

Emilia is a capable host -
Check

She's still incredibly powerful -
Check

She's still insane and beyond understanding -

Check

Re: garfiels actions.

I feel like a lot of this season has been about establishing that garfiel is unknowable. His actions are inconsistent to the point of being unpredictable even with a power that is essentially clairvoyance.
which is a significant thorn is Subarus side as he has consistently thrown off his machinations even when he tries his best to account for him. Now his main thrust of each attempt revolves around solving the giant orange cat in the room issue.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 11, 2020