Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am an idiot, have little theoretical grounding in marxism, and have not approved this with the mods but i believe it is pretty obvious that we should have a thread for tech workers to discuss issues relating to tech workers.

we all know that the world is completely unjust and we are essential cogs in the system.

we all know that many of us face a great deal of discrimination while others among us enjoy the wealth of end stage capitalism.

we all know that many of us will be eager defenders of the status quo, and that these scabs must be reckoned with.

we all know that the bubble will burst and we will soon be as powerless as the rest of labor.

i believe, also, that if we got our poo poo together, we'd have a great deal of power as a group, and we'd be able to use that power in solidarity with other groups. so let's talk about how we can do that and maybe other stuff too.

some things i've been thinking about :

- how could the concept of activist licenses (open source) be used to agitate for labor?
- user-owned web services: could we have cooperative social networks, etc?
- left wing hacktivism: we could gently caress poo poo up for real if we were willing to suffer the consequences.

also: i would really like to apologize for the low effort op. i will update if anything useful comes from this.

Finicums Wake posted:

platform cooperatives seem pretty cool. i doubt they could really take off in ways that could compete with the capitalist alternatives since it's hard for coops to get capital. but in a context where the left has established public banks, they'd be cool and good, is my view

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_cooperative

Huragok posted:

Join the IU560

https://www.iww.org/unions/dept500

DONT THREAD ON ME has issued a correction as of 02:25 on Mar 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
anyhow does anyone have any good information about the kickstarter unionization? they should go on chapo imo

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
platform cooperatives seem pretty cool. i doubt they could really take off in ways that could compete with the capitalist alternatives since it's hard for coops to get capital. but in a context where the left has established public banks, they'd be cool and good, is my view

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Finicums Wake posted:

awesome i figured it was already a thing, i just didn't have the right terms.

the dream is to be able to have an ethical twitter/facebook, but i agree that those would not be able to complete with capitalist alternatives. however, i think other types of socially beneficial platform could succeed.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

the dream is to be able to have an ethical twitter/facebook, but i agree that those would not be able to complete with capitalist alternatives. however, i think other types of socially beneficial platform could succeed.
Diaspora is the ethical Facebook.
Mastodon is the Twitter.
Signal is the thing for instant messaging (or Jabber/XMPP, but I think that protocol has issues on phones or something).

These are all better than the capitalist ones, except for the problem that they're tools for communicating with other people, which requires other people to use the same thing, which requires marketing, and the open-source world can't do marketing for poo poo. (Also, like Google+, Diaspora has failed to engage the "social lovely viral gaming" thing that was Facebook's big recruiting strength, and also because of being open and distributed the signup process is a pain in the rear end which is no way to become useful as a social medium. And they didn't even put stuff at diaspora.com or diaspora.org, and it's a name dumb people can't spell, so many problems.)

roomforthetuna has issued a correction as of 03:25 on Mar 24, 2019

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
https://kotaku.com/unions-stole-the-show-at-last-nights-gdc-awards-1833478003

quote:

It was all a staged bit, of course, but one that illustrates that the calls for game developers to unionize are getting louder, and reaching the eyes and ears of its biggest names. The gaming industry’s most visible pro-union organization, Game Workers Unite, is out in force at this year’s GDC, handing out zines and even running multiple conference sessions. With the inescapable shadow of layoffs looming heavier than ever and crunch culture chewing up developers and spitting them out, more and more developers have embraced the idea of unionization. After just one year, GWU has chapters in cities across the world. That said, no triple-A video game companies have unionized yet.

I don't work in the games industry but I find this very encouraging. The alr-right successfully used the gaming industry and culture as a way of drawing people in and I wonder if the left can use it as well.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

https://kotaku.com/unions-stole-the-show-at-last-nights-gdc-awards-1833478003

I don't work in the games industry but I find this very encouraging. The alr-right successfully used the gaming industry and culture as a way of drawing people in and I wonder if the left can use it as well.

I completely agree. The actual developers hate (some of) the things gamers hate as much as gamers themselves do. I think devs agitating to have more influence in the development process (being able to say no to things like pay2win, etc) would be a good play on their part.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
Join the IU560

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i've been researching starting a platform-cooperative alternative to patreon / kickstarter with some friends (didn't know that term, it's helpful). we were thinking some people would prolly wanna jump the patreon ship soon, because patreon's getting steadily shittier:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1092846201374892032

the pitch is, democratically run, with a board elected by active users (patrons / creators moving money through the site), and minimal / zero fees. not syndicated tho, because lmao

main issue is there's a giant tangle of regulations, none of us are lawyers / accountants, and we don't want to expose ourselves to huge financial risk. we're mostly looking into ways to get some sort of legal support, once we've got that the tech side'll be fairly easy

im probably cursing the project by posting about it here but hey :matters:

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

Huragok posted:

Join the IU560

It's IU570 now, but yes. Do this.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

animist posted:

i've been researching starting a platform-cooperative alternative to patreon / kickstarter with some friends (didn't know that term, it's helpful). we were thinking some people would prolly wanna jump the patreon ship soon, because patreon's getting steadily shittier:

the pitch is, democratically run, with a board elected by active users (patrons / creators moving money through the site), and minimal / zero fees. not syndicated tho, because lmao

main issue is there's a giant tangle of regulations, none of us are lawyers / accountants, and we don't want to expose ourselves to huge financial risk. we're mostly looking into ways to get some sort of legal support, once we've got that the tech side'll be fairly easy

have you looked through https://platform.coop/resources ? idk if it'll have what you need, but taking a look through the resources in the how-to section, or under the "law" tag might get you started

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

animist posted:

You might try contacting Richard Wolff and democracy at work to see if they know any groups or people who could help.

I looked into creating a tech co-op around a project I was working on a while back but finding funding is a giant hurdle. Startup incubators and angel investors were out and banks didn't want to invest in someone with no history in startups. Even finding co-founders was hard since most people interested in startups are just looking to get rich quick.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

animist posted:

hey that's neat, I had this very same idea a couple months ago but I'm a shut in so its not like I could accomplish anything

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

animist posted:

i've been researching starting a platform-cooperative alternative to patreon / kickstarter with some friends (didn't know that term, it's helpful). we were thinking some people would prolly wanna jump the patreon ship

definitely think this is a good idea. it seems like one of the first steps in establishing an entire ecosystem of cooperative platforms.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Someone got that tweet or whatever about how the robot revolution will happen because the robots were never told poverty and suffering was the price to pay for society?

I liked it.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Which part of a tech/engineering education is responsible for turning so many of those people into libertarians?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Christoph posted:

Which part of a tech/engineering education is responsible for turning so many of those people into libertarians?

stackoverflow and hackernews and basically everything about being able to bootstrap yourself into wealth with seemingly just your brain

IamFuckMan
Mar 26, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Christoph posted:

The Matrix

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's really bad that basically every programmer is told by default that the first thing they need to do is start reading hacker news with no disclaimer about how deeply ideological it is.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Christoph posted:

you work obviously less hard than the cleaning and kitchen staff at your workplace for like 50x the pay. what kind of justice is that? either you're all trapped in a system of exploitation which you, personally, have little ability to weaken or even soften the blow of (and to the extent you can it's probably by building solidarity with the contractors, in which case, WATCH OUT) OR you must have earned it, everyone got their just desserts, and it's all thanks to your giant powerful brain and good genes. when you enter a degree program for this stuff huge numbers of people tell you this situation is right and good and something you should aspire to.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

sat on my keys! posted:

you work obviously less hard than the cleaning and kitchen staff at your workplace for like 50x the pay. what kind of justice is that? either you're all trapped in a system of exploitation which you, personally, have little ability to weaken or even soften the blow of (and to the extent you can it's probably by building solidarity with the contractors, in which case, WATCH OUT) OR you must have earned it, everyone got their just desserts, and it's all thanks to your giant powerful brain and good genes. when you enter a degree program for this stuff huge numbers of people tell you this situation is right and good and something you should aspire to.

This is a lot of it and it also applies to most white collar fields.

I think there's also a popular idea that one nerd sitting at a computer can create something that changes the world. This idea goes real well with the libertarian ubermensch myth so a lot of people end up as techlord poo poo heads.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

This is a lot of it and it also applies to most white collar fields.

I think there's also a popular idea that one nerd sitting at a computer can create something that changes the world. This idea goes real well with the libertarian ubermensch myth so a lot of people end up as techlord poo poo heads.

the hagiography of the garage billionaires (who are, universally, sociopathic dipshits) is so fuckin exhausting

Finicums Wake posted:

have you looked through https://platform.coop/resources ? idk if it'll have what you need, but taking a look through the resources in the how-to section, or under the "law" tag might get you started

You might try contacting Richard Wolff and democracy at work to see if they know any groups or people who could help.

I looked into creating a tech co-op around a project I was working on a while back but finding funding is a giant hurdle. Startup incubators and angel investors were out and banks didn't want to invest in someone with no history in startups. Even finding co-founders was hard since most people interested in startups are just looking to get rich quick.

ooh good ideas, will do

and yeah "we won't make money or promise huge returns because we reject the concept of eternal growth in a closed system" isn't exactly a winning pitch to investors

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

animist posted:

this sounds almost like a credit union to me, which is cool

animist
Aug 28, 2018
the problem with AI in 60 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqG1fX3ZaLQ

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

quote:

In what may be the first coordinated strike at a US Amazon facility, fifty Somali-American workers walked off the job in Minnesota recently to protest work speedups. And organizers say it won’t be the last strike.
https://jacobinmag.com/2019/03/minnesota-strike-amazon-somali-awood

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

is the gpl marxist?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Condiv posted:

is the gpl marxist?

it has marxist qualities if you squint but it's not at all concerned with people or capital, just speech. i think that it was good in its time but imo its time for a more ambitious one that does something about, you know, capitalism.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

it has marxist qualities if you squint but it's not at all concerned with people or capital, just speech. i think that it was good in its time but imo its time for a more ambitious one that does something about, you know, capitalism.

how do you think it should be enhanced? i'll be honest, i'm not an actual marxist so I'm not sure how it should deal with capital beyond what it already does

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Oh hey look it's happening!

Now if only Google employees could scrape together a bajillion dollars.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

roomforthetuna posted:

Oh hey look it's happening!

Now if only Google employees could scrape together a bajillion dollars.

Think how many dollars are hidden inside billionaire piniatas. Beat em with sticks till the prizes fall out

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

come back marxist computer

we still need you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013
op is a dumb rear end.