Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf9JwMpUzwI

Launch Date: 3/26/19 at midnight EST.

What is this?

A PS4 exclusive realistic baseball sim. The Show gets a yearly release that is largely the same with a few graphical and mechanical improvements, along with updated rosters. It's actually closer to three games in one, with the following major game modes:

Road To the Show: Your very own MLB self-insert fanfiction. Create a player who starts as a minor league scrub, and work them up to the majors with the eventual goal of making the Hall of Fame. Make everything from Mike Trout 2.0 to a 5'4" pitcher who throws nothing but changeups and screwballs.

Franchise: Essentially OOTP-lite. Pick a team and become its Manager/GM/both. Trade, draft, and develop talent, manage budgets, and try to turn your team into a dynasty. It has less mechanical depth than OOTP, but on the flipside you can jump into an actual game and play your team.

Diamond Dynasty: Fantasy Baseball meets loot boxes. Win games and complete challenges to obtain player cards of hundreds of players through MLB's history, from random bench bats to all time legends. Use these cards to construct your 25-man and pit your Frankenstein fantasy team against others. You can spend real money on "packs" of cards if you so want, or buy specific players off the market. Primarily an online mode, but it can be played against the AI as well.

What's new?

Not a whole lot! This is probably the least changed version since the jump from PS3 to PS4. The graphical updates are minimal, but there are some new mechanics worth talking about :

New Defensive Animations: Difficulty in properly simulating defense has always been a bugbear of this series, but that "might" be changing. Hundreds of new defensive animations have been added, and players' defense gets visually smoother and takes them to the ball easier the higher their fielding stat is.

Higher Difficulty = Faster Pitch Speed: Pretty much what it sounds like. A big complaint with the game is that hitting is incredibly easy even on very high difficulty settings, so this is an attempt to balance that I suppose.

Road To the Show Improvements: Last year's RttS forced an underdog story on the player, artificially capping their stats based on archetype and making you get taken in the 25th round despite being a 6'5" pitcher who threw 100. Thankfully this is all gone and you can now create your 99 across the board stats god again. New features include training minigames for improving your stats, small challenges that appear mid-game that can provide a boost to stat growth if completed, some much needed new dialogue, and a new sort of clubhouse relationship dimension where you can become friends or rivals with teammates, and cultivate a personality as a clubhouse leader, aloof introvert, or piece of poo poo veteran with "edge".

New Legend Cards: New historical legends have been added to Diamond Dynasty, such as Jimmie Foxx and Pudge. Look, nothing will top adding Babe Ruth last year, but they're trying okay?

That's... kind of it, honestly. Like I said, not too much changing. The RttS stuff sounds interesting I guess.

Should I buy it?

If you want to do anything online - Yes.
If you care about having the latest up to date rosters and mechanics - Yes.
If you just want to play Road To the Show - Maybe.
If you just want to play Franchise/Diamond Dynasty offline - No.

Earlier versions of the game can be found used for dirt cheap at your local games store, my suggestion would be to pick up The Show 17 or 18 if you fall into one of the latter two categories and want to save some money. The jump from 16 to 17 brought some fairly major changes, so I wouldn't recommend going back any further than that.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking of skipping this year because the new stuff didn't seem all that interesting but I'll probably cave at some point (perhaps around 11:00 PM CDT tonight???) and pick it up.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Gamestop just informed me my copy won't be in for a couple of days...

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I buy this game every year and only play offline conquest and rtts.

I'm the stupidest man on this forum.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I have some PSN credit burning a hole in my digital wallet. So let me get an opinion here:

Is there enough of an upgrade from 17 to get this right away? I usually like playing a full season mode with my team of choice, and a couple years worth of RttS. I also like to play random exhibition games whenever I have 40ish min to kill. This is why I usually only upgrade every couple of years and usually mid season for cheaper.

So, given that, worth buying now? Or should I save my PlayStation fun-bux for something else?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the changes to fielding and contact hitting being buffed look like an upgrade, but it's hard to say if it's "worth it" yet.

if you're not a big DD guy none of the pre-order bonuses really matter, so it's probably worth waiting like, a week so people can get some real game time with it first

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I played a couple hours of mostly RttS last night, few thoughts for people who are interested in picking it up:

1. The character customization is way better than it's ever been, very easy to make the kind of guy you want.

2. You can once again pick who you want to be drafted by, which is a feature that has been missing for no reason since The Show 16.

3. The mid-game mini-challenges are cool, basically the game will pause for a moment and give you a few challenges to pick from. For example, "Get an RBI" for +100% EXP or "Draw out the AB for at least four pitches, THEN get an RBI" for +150%, etc. Add some variety and flair.

4. The whole "clubhouse archetype" thing is incredible dumb. On paper it sounded interesting in that you can pick what kind of guy you want your character to be in the clubhouse, but in practice you can level all four of them up independent of one another, and really basic perks like being able to use show time are locked behind specific archetypes, so you pretty much have to end up spec'ing wide into everything. So it's less "Do you want to be the team captain or an edgy dickhead" and more "you're going to have to act like both to actually get the perks you want, but which do you want to act like first?" The "conversations" with teammates are also hilariously basic to the point of parody:

"[Player] tells you he feels bad about his recent slump."
Captain: "Don't worry, the team will pick you up until you're out of your funk."
Spark Plug: "Stop worrying so much. All it takes is one AB to turn it around!"
Dickhead: "We need you man. Get yourself together and start hitting already."
"[Player] thanks you for the encouragement" - Regardless of what you pick.
:rolleyes:

5. There are two new modes called "March to October" and "Moments" that I didn't mention in the OP: In March to October you pick a team, and the game simulates a season of them getting to the postseason, with you getting dropped in to key games at key moments. Basically "take your favorite team to the WS lightning round, with you getting to play all the cool clutch moments." I haven't tried it yet. Moments are a series of challenges that you have to complete to recreate key pieces of baseball history. These range from very quick (Get the 20th strikeout with Kerry Wood) to very long (Play through Babe Ruth's career by playing his most iconic moments, or play through the key games of the Cubs rebuild and eventual 2016 WS win). These seem like a fun little time killer but I haven't really touched them much yet.

Overall my impression after a few hours is mostly the same: If you're just interested in offline play, even RttS, you can probably live sticking with 17 or 18. RttS does have some marginal improvements but I don't think they justify a $60 price tag.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

After playing a LOT of hours...the Moments in DD are really a great addition. No don't buy this game if you bought it last year, but if you've skipped a couple years or so, it's worth picking up. I do hate some of the DD menus and the collections and stuff are harder to understand but...whatever. This game is my addiction.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Also, hilariously, if you get called to pinch hit in RTTS you might end up pitching to the first batter in the next half inning.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Named my team the Commies. First ranked game made some loser who named his the Blackshirts and named himself after GWB rage quit. Don't ya know all you fascists bound to lose?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Can you still add walk up music to your RTTS guy in this edition? Does it cutout quick or does it linger?

This is a very important, make or break feature for me. I desperately need my ironic, self-deprecating walk up music.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

skooma512 posted:

This is a very important, make or break feature for me. I desperately need my ironic, self-deprecating walk up music.

You use Big Shot, too?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Can you still add walk up music to your RTTS guy in this edition? Does it cutout quick or does it linger?

You absolutely can. And if you hit a HR you get another cut of the music if you want. I use Childish Gambino - Sunrise, because I am very unoriginal.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I just picked this up after not playing a show game since '09. I spent too much drat time in the team creator to not share this:

The red sleeves and wristbands are supposed to be a tribute to Big Boss's mechanical hand :v:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Casnorf posted:

You use Big Shot, too?

I use stuff with lyrics like "You won't be happy with me, but give me one chance, you won't be happy anyway".

Leaving it on music mode in 16 was hilarious too. I swung at garbage and got struck out and maad city was playing. Man down, where you from :getout:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you change the walk up music? All I see is the unlockable stuff

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I just picked this up after not playing a show game since '09. I spent too much drat time in the team creator to not share this:

The red sleeves and wristbands are supposed to be a tribute to Big Boss's mechanical hand :v:

This is so good

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The bat flips they have now are extremely cool and good but would 100% get you plunked IRL

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So I see in the OP you should buy if you care about online. Have they fixed the net code? Can you actually play someone online without it being neigh unplayable due to choppiness? My last version was 17.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Being able to see social media posts in RTTS is pointless if you can't reply back to the ones that talk poo poo about you.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

well, got the gossage from the event

would have liked to take andruw but man it's a meh card

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

TheFlyingLlama posted:

well, got the gossage from the event

would have liked to take andruw but man it's a meh card

they're salable so it doesn't even matter you can just sell goose and buy andruw if you want, which is exactly what I did because I have more problems scoring than pitching usually

it is kinda funny tho like for whatever reason I'm going through conquest and playing on veteran and my average with my other hitters is like between .350-500 and I'm hitting like .288 with Andruw, I just can't loving buy a hit with him compared to other players

anyway here is a video I made, this is to me the funniest sequence I have ever seen in a sports game, please watch all the way through because I was dying laughing at everything put together especially with how it ended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrTd4gHZHeQ

Also about the netcode question, I've generally found it very playable although for whatever reason I feel like it treats check swings differently or something? It seems much harder to check swings online so if that's a big part of your game you might have trouble.

I'm almost done with conquest though so hopefully that racist rear end Ty Cobb card is good

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

by all accounts the conquest cobb is pretty poo poo; meh power, meh speed, bad fielding and primary RF

although given the fact that it's a drat 40 year old version the fact that it managed to hit diamond at all is pretty impressive in it's own right

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Oh well I'm only like 2 hours away from finishing it, might as well get it for the 10 packs and I think some stubs also

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished the Ty Cobb because why not, funny enough the game didn't even suggest putting him in my lineup, when I did the auto generate best lineup it kept Griffey Sr. at RF which is kinda funny since he's 4 overall less. Anyway I just have Cobb pinch hitting but in the 10 packs you get for beating conquest, I got fuckin Freddy Freeman!!!

So I sold him for 38k, I'm getting the Fred McGriff card anyway just because I started doing the braves thing before I looked up which ones were good. I can use the Freeman money to buy some of the other good team affinity rewards like Jose Reyes and Don Sutton so I'll probably do that.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

The auto-lineup does some weird poo poo. It replaced my Ricky Henderson with Ty Cobb and put Acuna somewhere in there. Keep Henderson you loving AI, Cobb is no good.

Grem fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 11, 2019

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Acuna has been really good for me, I have him in LF and he's a really good all-around guy I think, although if you have like a high diamond in there I guess they could be better

I'm getting to where I have so many good hitters/power hitters I don't even know who to put where in my lineup. I have Trea Turner batting 8th just because he's the worst batter on my team but that feels obviously like a big waste of his speed.

Right now I have

1. Griffey Sr.
2. Acuna
3. Chipper Jones
4. Andruw Jones
5. McGriff
6. Created Player Catcher
7. Devon Travis
8. Trea Turner

Planning on getting the Reyes card next and I guess I might put him in the top the lineup and have Griffey bat 2nd because he's insane at contact and also fast as well, and then just move everybody back one.

It's too bad they don't have lineups like vs L and vs R because Travis is a legit power stud vs lefties.

Is it possible in this game to do the thing where you have runners on 1st and 3rd and fewer than 2 outs and you steal with the guy at 1st planning to send the guy at 3rd if they throw? Every time I've done this, I've tried both mashing L1 and holding left stick over and hitting X and nothing I do can seem to make the guy at 3rd leave quickly enough to get home, he takes his fuckin time and they just throw both out.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 11, 2019

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Yea what I was saying was that I want Acuna and Ricky in my outfield.

You can't do the double steal like that because the runners have poo poo animations and there's no way to get them out of it. You can use this to your advantage if you play the computer, though. Runner on second, ground ball to short. Press advance all for a second then retreat back immediately, the shortstop will try to stop your runner who hasn't really gone anywhere instead of throwing to first.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Also I'm glad for all these 90s braves to use but where is my 125 control Maddux card

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Protip I found online because I couldn't beat the drat 2 extra base hits with Contreras challenge for the created player catcher, if you have a multiple game challenge and you want to keep your results from say the first or first couple games, you can just close the application in the later games and it will let you do the same game over again.

Wish I knew this before because I hit a double in like 10 separate games but couldn't string two together for the longest time, so I did this trick and finally maxed out my catcher without having to play 100 more online innings with him.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Got the Cy Young card cause my outfield is too stacked for Jones anyways.

Played the boss battle and put 5 on Cy in the first inning, cruising along until he gets relieved...

Dibble and Gossage just mowed down my batters and I ended up bunting from the 6th to the end of the game to make sure I didn't strike out. My old man eyes can't do 100mph fastballs

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean honestly like since they are all salable, the choices on these are pretty meaningless, you can always just put them on market if you don't like them. Also since you can sell them, unless you have some weird schizo thing of needing it to be "your" card, even if you wanted Andruw Jones your choice is like to pick Jones or Jones + 3k stubs by picking one of the others then selling them and buying Jones (which is what I did)

I got my guy all the way to an 89 catcher then decided I'd actually rather have him as a super stud 2b since the max out balanced 2b with equipment has like basically 100 in every hitting stat, mid 80s fielding, and like 75 speed, which is ridiculously insane and probably is equal to like a high 90s 2b, and there's almost no one like that until you get to Joe Morgan, whereas the 89 catcher is roughly equal to Joe Torre who is only 30k. Even Altuve is more expensive than that and I think not as good as the maxed out 2B CAP.

Even just the 82 CAP while I'm grinding him up is super sick at fielding with equipment on and plenty good enough at hitting.

I haven't really gotten any pitchers yet, I regrettably didn't do any of the moments back when you could cheat them with the sliders, so I was trying to get the 85 Babe Ruth because I thought it would be a cool card, but getting the homerun achievements is driving me nuts. At a certain point I realized I could probably just grind the fuckin 90 overall Hal Newhauser card by doing march to october with the tigers in a similar amount of time that I could get 4 homeruns in 4 games with Gehrig and also 4 homeruns in 3 games with Babe. I've spent like 6 hours already, including resetting when I don't get a homerun in a game with Gehrig, and I've only gotten like 4 homeruns, and sadly I accidentally didn't close the game fast enough twice and had to reset :( so now I'm on the third game where I need two more games with a homerun each.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

After not having a show since i think 2012, I am loving the new franchise and RTTS.

Gone are the days of grinding out PA so I could get enough points to increase my like BR Agg as a power corner infielder to not get sent back to the minors.

Hello the days of steadily increasing my Contact and slowly power as I bust out of my slump for 3 2Bs.

Also love making a closer, getting moved to starter. Get called up to the show as a 65 overall, give up 14 ER in 4 innings between 2 games. And get sent back to the bullpen all the while praying they would just send me back to the minors.

Good stuff.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
never buying this game again because i don't want to port my RTTS guys into 18 and get all my stats capped to then port it into 19 again and have to earn all my loving points back. 17 forever i guess

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Teemu Pokemon posted:

never buying this game again because i don't want to port my RTTS guys into 18 and get all my stats capped to then port it into 19 again and have to earn all my loving points back. 17 forever i guess

If you go from 17 to 18, your stats don't get dropped to the caps immediately. They slowly regress. So if you transfer to 18, dont play any games, and then transfer to 19 your stats shouldn't get changed at all. Many of your stats will be at their caps once you get to 19 so you will have to raise tour caps on training, but none of the stats should go down in the transfer.

I think.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Finally won a ranked seasons game that went 9 innings. Saberhagen struck out 16. Harper hit two bombs. And at one point Trea Turner, Acuna, and Harper went back to back to back. The fourth guy then flew out to deep center lol.

Admire the sportsmanship of the guy I beat. That had to be frustrating.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i'm weirdly having fun with a lot of the single player poo poo have built an insane online team from it but am still just grinding moments and started another march to october with detroit although they are too garbage for me to do on veteran and I had to drop it to rookie because I didn't want to risk not winning it :(

It would have just tilted me off the planet if I did like 10 hours of it to not even get the points for it at all

I did get up to like 450 online rating or something so not terrible but also pretty easy since I'm not even at the point where you lose points for losing I think

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Dunno why I did it because I'm not sure the card is all that great, but I'm pumped that I beat the 85 overall Babe Ruth moments to get him. The homerun challenges were a bitch, especially the one where you have to hit 4 homeruns in 3 games. Kinda wish I did it back when you could just do slider fuckery to get them easily, but whatever. Definitely not bothering with Willie Mays now that you'd have to do them honestly.

Also if anyone wants to level up real fast, put on some netflix on your tablet or something and buy 30 commons for every team and do the collections, you get tooons of exp.

I spent like an hour doing it and went up I think 10 levels and got the level 75 reward and got Kershaw, anxious to see how good he is in a game. I also finished my Tigers affinity thing and got the Newhauser card so my rotation has those two and the Ruth pitcher card which should be fun.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

What's up got Kershaw last night buddy. I hope they keep up with new conquest maps every week. I'm a little terrified of taking my ridiculous team online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've been starting Cobb in LF over Acuna now that Acuna's live bonuses are down and honestly I think he's awesome. I know he's a one trick pony but honestly getting a solid hit every time is a pretty loving good trick at baseball.