Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Empress Brosephine posted:

How do you change the walk up music? All I see is the unlockable stuff

Go to sounds of the show. You can import music by sticking it on flash drive (formatted to FAT and the mp3s are in a folder called Music). Then you add it to the playlist so it's available for use. You can go to the editor and pick up to 3 spots in the song you want to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How the heck do you do a squeeze that isn't a suicide squeeze? Do you have to manually make the runner run as soon as the bunt is hit? I've tried 2-3 times against the CPU and my dude just stays put on 3rd every time and I wasn't sure if that's just because I didn't get a good enough bunt off or if I manually need to start mashing L1 as soon as the bunt makes contact

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

You guys now how to exercise a club option in franchise? I’ve got a bunch of my top prospects all signed with club options, but I can’t find where to actually exercise them. If I don’t do anything they just become free agents, and I don’t want to have to go into a bidding war for all of them.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Is it maybe in the contract extension that you give them a 1 year deal and that qualifies as the option?

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I just finished the season and am at the point where you can resign guys that are free agents, not arbitration or renewable. The club option guys aren’t coming up on that resign page, even the ones that are old enough to be free agents anyway. Once that phase passes, everyone with a club option is a free agent, skipping all their renewal and arbitration years. That would be fine if I could actually try to resign them before they’d be on the open market.

e: and there’s no difference in negotiations with those guys than anyone else. I guess I’m just gonna have to splurge to retain them.

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 20, 2019

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Anyone having trouble with hitting at all I found this video to be really helpful, especially the idea of finding like timing markers in the pitching animation so you get a rhythm to use for timing instead of just trying to read where the pitch is. When I stopped trying to time every pitch individually visually I got way better at aiming also because I knew how long I had to aim and I was able to use the full amount of time. It doesn't work perfectly because if a pitch is inside you are gonna have to swing way late and you have to lay off a little bit outside but other than that it was a big improvement for me.

The only thing I don't do that this guy goes is start the PCI down and in, I tried that but adjusting up is just too hard for me, I dunno. I just start it either at the release point or in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhWHzAIR_7A

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I bought 2 of those headliner packs that are limited to 3 per person and I opened up Manny Machado and Mookie Betts. The lesson is: packs are a good investment and these are typical expected results.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 22, 2019

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Oh! That's a baseball!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I forgot I added the Metal Gear Solid alert music for walkups, left it in the jukebox, and it came up during RTTS. It started playing when someone stole a base even.

Makes every at-bat awesome :getin:

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anyone know when they are adding Vlad JR to the game?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Vlad was added with the roster update yesterday

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Operation Sports released their full minors a few weeks ago. Check for it on the roster vault. It's under some name that starts with a J (justin maybe?)

It's real good and no franchise should be played without it.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I started a franchise all the way back in 17 that I play very slowly. Slowly enough that last night I was all happy because I signed the first guy I ever drafted, a power switch hitting right fielder, to a 9 year $135 million dollar contract. He's never finishing that contract haha.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Picked up my first game in a few years last weekend, and while I'm not good at the game anyways (dynamic in RTTS is keeping me in rookie) I'm having a hard time winning conquest games in three innings, if I win them at all. Does anyone out on the internet have a good guide or two on how to approach batting and pitching against the AI? My team is new and in the 70s, so I could improve there as well.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

People have been saying the outfield is unfairly good in this year's game. This obviously puts a damper on the moments that require hitting.

As for getting better, just play more. I had no idea about pitching and fielding because I'm 3B in RTTS so I pretty much only hit and throw to 1st or 2nd. I started a March to October save and I'm more well rounded now, even with hitting because I saw more pitches in general.

For batting, lay off the first pitch and get used to seeing where stuff ends up.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 28, 2019

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
So are there tells I should be watching out for? I've been playing assuming that the AI pitches are random, and not tied to any situation or pitcher, guessing high pitches until I get one, and trying to swing for home runs since I can't seem to get enough hits in a row to reliably play small ball.

I'd almost believe someone if they said conquest was rigged after my last game on rookie difficulty. For the first time I actually managed to string together enough to be up by 5 at the middle of the 2nd, and figuring that was enough to win a rookie match I pitched like I always do, and gave up 5 runs in the bottom of the inning. I went through three pitchers that inning in the high 70s who couldn't get any strikeouts to save their lives until after the game was tied, then miraculously I got outs. I've never given up more than two runs an inning in any conquest game before this one.

Not unrelated: Are the disconnect/quit ritual cards useful for anything?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

In order

Pitches aren't entirely random, but CPU's are absolutely willing/able to throw pitches in locations that are wonky as gently caress in an IRL baseball sense. Guess pitch is actually a bad idea; yeah if you guess right it's an easy hit, but if you guess wrong you get a contact penalty.

I don't know if I'd say conquest is rigged, but there are absolutely games where you just get dicked on with bad luck hit/bad luck hit and give up what should have been an insurmountable lead in an inning. It sucks, but baseball gonna baseball.

Quits are basically useless and to punish you for not finishing out the game, yeah

I'm bad enough at hitting that the only real suggestion I can give is to try out the different hitting camera and seeing what works for you; I'm on strike zone but there are a bunch of popular ones

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I've played a metric fuckton of conquest and never got the impression it is rigged :shrug:

Hitting is hard. One thing I do is not sit high against the AI but sit low. Granted, it is harder to go from low to high, and you will pop up if you try, but I generally lay off high pitches in general if I can. I've hit way more dingers and make much better contact on low balls personally.

Ummm... without seeing you hit my other suggestion would be to swing less probably. The idea isn't to swing at all strikes, but to swing at hittable strikes. So sure, sit on those high pitches if you want. Just make sure you are swinging good, hittable, high pitches or whatever. Taking a strike, especially the first one isn't a huge deal and the AI will definitely groove some pitches if you wait for them.

Ummm... don't power swing? I don't know how the rest of the players here feel, but I hate power swing. I feel like it is garbage and only really use it if my power rating is like above 100, or if I am 2-0, 3-0, or 3-1 and have a power rating of 80 or better. But that might just be me.

The vast majority of my swings are normal. I only use power in the situations above or contact with 2 strikes and my pitcher at the plate or 2 strikes and a runner on third less than two outs.

Edit: sorry for the long post, this is all unless I'm on rookie. On rookie I power swing all loving day, but even that is probably sub-optimal and is partially an effort to keep the game moving by being overly aggressive.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 29, 2019

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

it's less that conquest in particular is rigged, and more that occasionally you'll get lovely thing after lovely thing that feels like the game is trying to gently caress you, regardless of the game mode you're in. This probably isn't even the game being rigged, but bad luck seeming to compound or pitcher confidence getting shot or w/e but it feels like horseshit sometimes.

power swinging is great if and only if you're 100% on the ball / and or doing a "hit a home run" moment and just continually replaying until you get it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
really try to get the hang of correct swing timing, it's extremely important and you will have a lot more success if you can consistently get good swing timing

strikes that are way inside have to be swung pretty drat early too even on veteran so it can be helpful to try and only swing at stuff that's going middle or outside if you can help it

also, like, don't be afraid to just wait for pure meatballs until you have 2 strikes, on veteran and rookie the computer will almost always throw you one incredibly hittable ball per at-bat if not more

what helped me is just to come to every at bat with the attitude of "I am not going to swing at this" and really mean it but trust your lizard brain to take over and swing if it really is just a pure down the middle pitch

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Also make sure your TV is set to “game” mode, this seems to make a big difference

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Another thing that is that on hitting difficulties below All-Star it is very, very rare for the AI to walk you. They will constantly live in the zone which "helps" in the sense that you're probably not going to look like an rear end chasing pitches at your shoelaces, but hurts in that it reinforces a poor "swing at loving everything" approach that will get you mulched on higher difficulties.

It's counter intuitive but I actually suggest bumping hitting difficulty up to All-Star and then learning to lay off pitches early in the count, unless you're convinced they look like they're going to be middle-middle. Really just laying off the first pitch to get a feel for how pitches looking coming out of a pitcher's hand is a huge help.

That said even on higher difficulties I'd argue it's harder to take a walk than get a hit in this game.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

In order

Pitches aren't entirely random, but CPU's are absolutely willing/able to throw pitches in locations that are wonky as gently caress in an IRL baseball sense. Guess pitch is actually a bad idea; yeah if you guess right it's an easy hit, but if you guess wrong you get a contact penalty.

I don't know if I'd say conquest is rigged, but there are absolutely games where you just get dicked on with bad luck hit/bad luck hit and give up what should have been an insurmountable lead in an inning. It sucks, but baseball gonna baseball.

Quits are basically useless and to punish you for not finishing out the game, yeah

I'm bad enough at hitting that the only real suggestion I can give is to try out the different hitting camera and seeing what works for you; I'm on strike zone but there are a bunch of popular ones

Yeah the only thing I can say about AI pitching patterns is that if it's a double play situation they like to throw lower pitches to try and get a grounder off you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Picked up Show 19 last weekend and have been enjoying it a lot. This year I have decided to actually play the Road to the Show mode and make my own player. Playing as a pitcher.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you look up McGunski's hitting tutorials I found them useful, basically the idea of like memorizing the timing from when the ball leaves the pitcher's hand to when you have to swing, and counting that out loud as the pitch comes in, because then you also don't like accidentally swing early, and when you know the full amount of time you have before you have to swing, it not only makes your timing better but you get better at aiming because you use the full amount of time instead of rushing

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
A thing that helped me is to identify the pitcher's release point and make sure you kinda train your eyes there, but like slightly unfocus them, if that makes sense, so that your peripheral can pick up most/all of the strikezone. That way you get an extra split second to identify the speed/type/location of pitches and that improved my ability to foul off pitches, draw walks, and make solid contact tenfold.

Fair warning, I'm still playing 17, but this has helped me throughout from like 13 onward. Also good curveballs/sliders/changeups still eat my lunch when they're close to the zone, but I'm better at recognizing when they are definite balls.

I also find that identifying and timing pitches is hard enough on its own, especially on Veteran (if you're not the greatest) and higher, so I basically just rock with directional hitting because i find the game immeasurably more fun that way. I play on veteran with the sliders to make it like halfway between veteran and all-star and I'm like a lifetime ~.280 hitter so i think it's pretty alright

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 29, 2019

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Teemu Pokemon posted:

A thing that helped me is to identify the pitcher's release point and make sure you kinda train your eyes there, but like slightly unfocus them, if that makes sense, so that your peripheral can pick up most/all of the strikezone. That way you get an extra split second to identify the speed/type/location of pitches and that improved my ability to foul off pitches, draw walks, and make solid contact tenfold.

Fair warning, I'm still playing 17, but this has helped me throughout from like 13 onward. Also good curveballs/sliders/changeups still eat my lunch when they're close to the zone, but I'm better at recognizing when they are definite balls.

I also find that identifying and timing pitches is hard enough on its own, especially on Veteran (if you're not the greatest) and higher, so I basically just rock with directional hitting because i find the game immeasurably more fun that way. I play on veteran with the sliders to make it like halfway between veteran and all-star and I'm like a lifetime ~.280 hitter so i think it's pretty alright

Be careful though, you might see a sailboat instead of a baseball.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I don't seriously think the game is rigged, just thought it was ironic that I gave up 5 runs for the first time after getting five runs for the first time.

Things seem to be going better, I was already waiting on the first pitch but I've stopped using pitch prediction outside of looking for a fastball up on the first pitch. I'm still getting fooled by sliders on the outside, but I'm sure I'll figure that out eventually. Changing difficulty to veteran and All Star also isn't causing problems like I expected which is weird, I actually won my first AS game and might just keep playing on that difficulty for the conquest bonuses.

I'm sure once I build up a decent card team that'll help as well. Any tips on making a cheap team with the ~10k I have now?

Also, it seems like it's easier to hit home runs on the veteran and higher Moments, any tips on trying to get the rookie HR moments out if the way? I'm using directional hitting and power hitting my way through the solo HR moments, but the back to back ones seem impossible without wasting a few hours.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Here I go resurrecting a dead rear end thread but how do I get a 4th Pitch? I still only have a knuckleball, 4 seamer and screwball and would love to add one more pitch to my repertoire...

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

i flunked out posted:

Here I go resurrecting a dead rear end thread but how do I get a 4th Pitch? I still only have a knuckleball, 4 seamer and screwball and would love to add one more pitch to my repertoire...

assuming you're talking about RTTS, allegedly you have to increase friendship with another pitcher on your team, and once that gets high enough they can teach you a pitch in training

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
For starters you just straight up cannot add a fourth pitch while you're in the minors. Yes this is stupid as hell.

Once you've reached MLB, you pick the first training option and scroll down past the three initial cards: you should have a selection of a few pitches you can learn, which are chosen based on what pitches other pitchers on your team have, and your relationship with them. If you're neutral with everybody I think it's just random what pitchers you can learn from.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Sydin posted:

For starters you just straight up cannot add a fourth pitch while you're in the minors. Yes this is stupid as hell.

What the hell.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
ty for the info!

LesBeardly
Jul 4, 2010

BEST BALLS ON SA AWARD
On top of all that, you have to be a starting pitcher, not a closer.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Good lord look at this game I just finished:

https://twitter.com/DrewAmidei/status/1193021474526957568?s=09

My Kershaw got chased in the fourth. My bullpen pitched really well until Hoffman gave up 3 runs without recording an out in the ninth. And I managed my bullpen poorly I guess because I was not ready for extras haha. Still got the win. Christ.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
It was announced today that The Show will be coming to other consoles, probably by 2021. They didn’t list which ones but Microsoft apparently put out a cryptic tweet confirming.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1902175

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

nintendo of america also did, so we might be seeing it on all the major consoles

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1204230503651364864

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Give me The Show on PC you cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Show 20 is preloaded for tomorrow night. Ready to crush some servers..