Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Would it be possible to tug on the chain and bring Ruby here earlier than he wants?

What does Fate know of the Liberator?

What was Fate's plan to escape the storm when her people fled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

sheep-dodger posted:

would it be possible to create a similar link between me and you, to empower you in a similar fashion?

"I'm too weak to fashion something like that, but for you to voluntarily chain yourself? It could be possible. Depending on your control and power you can bring to bear."

super sweet best pal posted:

Would it be possible to tug on the chain and bring Ruby here earlier than he wants?

"If you're the one doing the pulling, you're the one expending the energy to do so, not him."

What does Fate know of the Liberator?
"I know little to none about him nor have I been able to enter Liberty yet. His governance and opression is well known, and he must be strong to keep the fractuous noble houses in line. Mostly.

What was Fate's plan to escape the storm when her people fled?

"We would be safe." She seems reluctant to share any more than that.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Apologies all, being run ragged at work etc right now. I will resume when i can hopefully within the week sometime.

In the meantime, it would be useful for you to start thinking on how you feel about what Fate is proposing.

Are you on board with her general plan, despite the risks?
Are you thinking of selling her out, knowing that she knows your secrets?
Are you secretly waiting for a time she drops her guard so you can siphon her delicious colours out?

How do you feel about her in general?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

busb posted:

Are you secretly waiting for a time she drops her guard so you can siphon her delicious colours out?

This sounds like a good plan.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I guess generally I'm on board with what she's told us so far although she's going to have to do some more explaining before I become a true believer. Selling her out is probably not the best idea and I don't see why we would right now but you know, never say never. If she turns out to be a dangerous moron who's just gonna get everyone killed then yeah sure.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'm behind heisting away that delicious Blackness. I think we should deeply consider eating the blackness instead of whatever she wants to do with it.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

I guess generally I'm on board with what she's told us so far although she's going to have to do some more explaining before I become a true believer. Selling her out is probably not the best idea and I don't see why we would right now but you know, never say never. If she turns out to be a dangerous moron who's just gonna get everyone killed then yeah sure.

Pretty much this. She's given us more comprehensive information than the rest of the powers in play, but that's not enough for trust. Leave all options on the table and play along for now, and try and revel a little bit in our status as an apparent Mana Vampire of sorts. Or to use Elder Scrolls teminalogy, we're the embodiment of the Atronach Sign. Thinking of ourself as such could help guide our actions with the blackness.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Hello to anyone who still has this bookmarked, i figured I owed a post.

So yeah between work kicking up several notches after covid furlough, and just covid generally making me feel it really difficult to be creative, i've sat down to progress this probabaly a dozen times over the past 3-4 months and written literally thousands of words and none of them really work or i remember a huge continuity error and give up in disgust etc.

I think a big part of it is i really hate the last couple of updates and they don't feel organic to the story that was unfolding to me as a GM/author, but it's so plot/setup informative that there's no way to just ignore meeting Amber/Fate and continue on as previous.

Hopefully during the xmas break i get some time to unwind and figure this out, but I'm also happy to acknowledge defeat and opening the books to talk about what this story is and the overlying themes and stuff. I know there's only a handful of readers so it's perhaps a good idea to let it fade away for good reason! :)

Sorry everyone!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I liked the story but suddenly meeting Amber the super wizard and turning away from our evil buddy and his plans to upend our hosed up society was a pretty big twist. I liked that last bit arguing that we are, in fact, a greedy coward and moral midget because that's how we've been the whole game.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Ya the big decision was a little abrupt I'm totally interested in the psuedo ending depending on who we through our hat in with.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean I loved it and I'm fascinated about what the hell was actually going on in the world in general. And yeah, I was a little sad at us just deciding to turn on Darby at the drop of a hat because even if it had ended terribly I feel like it would have been the more interesting option overall.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Your name is Jeffrey. Born 17 years ago in the modest mining city of Gratitude, you were a pretty honest and hardworking kid that mostly helped your parents in their tavern to help your family stave off financial ruin. You did however end up being the key part of an accident that removed the Liberator's protection from the city - a black, stonecarved feather that protected your city from the devastatingly lethal Storm season that wracks the lands every cycle.

But you didn't destroy it, it fused within you, becoming a part of you, for the few remaining seconds before your charred and crisped body died from the immense raw energy of a Stormstrike. But instead you were contacted (or caught) by two beings/entities. Ruby - who saved your life, albeit with... conditions... and Amber, who you ignored.

Many cycles later, you sit across from Amber as a semi-graduated Indurate of the Academy. Amber somehow has come to your world and appears to be a regular human person calling herself Fate, albeit one that professes to be able to use magic - forbidden since the time of the Magi and feared by everyone - except her.

Of course you're not unfamiliar with magic, with the Blackness you absorbed you are slowly learning is an anti-etheric liquid alloy that has fused with your body. Through it you are able to interfere, absorb and in some cases, reform magical energy into solid, physical objects in the world.

If this was discovered, your life would soon be ended by the Administration, the government that above all seeks to protect its citizens from the horrors that magic wreaked across the world, by rooting out and eliminating magical ability wherever it is found to prevent another apocalyptic Storm event from destroying your beleaguered island continent.

20th FullToil, 264d

You sit across a table from a wan looking but fierce middle aged woman, the fugitive Fate.

You pepper her with questions, and try to come to terms with what she is prepared to share, and try and figure out the secrets that she is not. Trust is hard to come by for you, though you think you mostly trust her word. However deep within you, stirs a pang of hunger, a primal urge that demands you drain her of her magic. To take it, and use it for whatever you desire.

As these thoughts occupy you, a dim shout from the courtyard outside rouses you from your reverie. Fate stiffly stretches her hands and looks at you, "Jeffrey, you know eventually you will get found out. You cannot possibly have a long-lasting life or future under this Administration. Every day you must live in fear of discovery, of deception, of the end of you. We can work together to end this and... "

A challenge rings out in the courtyard and you hear an answering panicked shout from someone else inside. Fate glances out the window, she swears and looks at you with a sudden fury. "You brought them here? You fool." she spits. You protest and shove yourself off the table to your feet as you quickly cast your memory back and it dawns on you....

busb posted:

Cara looks pointedly at the guard inside, and mouths 'follow me' and he nods and starts rustling up his weapon and armour. Cara then takes off the man's blindfold, who blinks and shakes his head, wincing.

Oh, poo poo. After spending so long here Cara and the guard must have fetched Administration help, assuming you were in trouble with the notorious bandit leader.

Fate surges to her feet in flurry as a wooden thud in the next room and heavy boots tromp towards you. You see her face fall into blankness as she growls strange words under her breath, and flicks her fingers in precise, quick movements. Nothing happens, and Fate stares at her hands in dawning realisation that she has no magic to use, not after you had drained her. She slumps down, bracing herself on the table, before she looks at you and in her face you see anger slowly melt away into bleakness and despair.

"You have doomed us all," she whispers. Fate takes up her dagger from the table in front of you both. You surge to your feet in panic and try and quickly get some distance, looking desperately for something to shield you with. You proclaim your ignorance and try and calm Fate down, but she ignores you, lips and teeth snarling.

"That's Indurate Jeffrey, he's being held in there!" You hear Cara shout just outside, as Fate moves to the door and bolts it with a polished wooden bolt that can't possibly hold for long. Fate's eyes never once leave yours as she does so, and you back away slowly keeping as much distance as you can as her dagger flicks idly in her hands, one second poised to throw, the next to slice.

She barks out "If you open this door, I'll kill him", and deliberately pads toward you, taking a drying towel and wrapping it around her dagger hand. Stuck between the long wooden countertops behind you and the windows over Fate's shoulder and contemplate making a charge at her and trying for the windows, but she would gut you first, you have no doubt.

You try and take stock of your options, your thoughts racing as you reject plans and pleas alike as hopeless. Curse Cara for interfering! In the couple of seconds that takes, you run for the door to wrench the bolt clear … but Fate has already moved close, too close, and slams you hard with her wrapped fist, the dagger's weight making up for Fate's sapped strength.

You cry out and fall to the ground and you feel your nose explode hot with blood. Fate looks down on you and she boots you in the stomach causing you to gasp airlessly. Voices shout in alarm outside at your cry, and you hear the crash of something heavy hitting the door.

"Stand up you traitor," Fate hisses, grabbing your tunic clumsily in her wrapped hand. Her desperation gives her the strength to pull you unsteadily to your feet, before she shoves you at the table. You stumble and hit it solidly, adding new bruises to your inventory of woes that you assume is about to be the least of your problems. Fate shoves you into the chair, facing the back of the kitchen, with the door behind you both. She shifts her dagger to her unprotected hand and pulls your hair back with the other, carefully making sure your skin never touches hers.

She looks down at you, black eyes burning into your multi-hued, fragmented ones, blaming you, blaming herself, and defeated. She speaks, words punctuated by the insistent crashing and splintering of the door as the guards try to break it open.

"Listen to me now, traitor of your people, destroyer of worlds. You have doomed more than you can know. My plans, desperate but full of hope, will unravel. Multitudes will now die and their deaths are on us both." She draws in a deep breath, and her fierce, angry eyes blink away tears.

Before you can say or do anything, the door crashes and it groans in its final defiance. You hear several guards crash into the room shouting at the woman to fall back or die where she stands. Fate never stops looking at you, but brings the dagger to your neck. She holds your gaze, transfixed, and you can do nothing but watch as she moves to slit your throat. Her eyes then widen in sudden pain, and you see a spearhead protrude through her chest.

The jolt makes her twitch and the dagger cuts into your neck as she loses control of it, and she releases you in an effort to stay standing. Her unprotected hand falls from the nape of your neck as she grunts in pain and falls.

You feel yourself fall with her, but you never seem to hit the floor. You keep seeing her eyes, tearful and dark, staring at you, unending. In them you see the blackness of the deepest void, and the infinite struggle that has been her life. In them you taste the deep garnet of anger, loss and bitterness, followed by a tiny sunburst of the purest gold filled with nobility, honour, courage and determination.

Then she is gone.
And then, so are you.

Vote redux

A. You wake. The cut was shallow enough and healed. There are mysteries to unravel. You have family counting on you. You can do this. You must. You open your eyes.

B. You never wake. The blade cut too deep, and it has taken too long, and Jeffrey's time has ended. But the mysteries of time and ether unravel before your eyes and all your questions about life, the universe and everything are answered. But the story and this world fades away into memory.

C. Jeffrey never wakes, but you do. Yes you. What was your name again? Kel? Imogen? Trevor? Or someone else? Or some time else? Another story, another life can be told.

busb fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 16, 2021

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Well, that could've gone better

A

As long as you enjoy writing I'll keep reading

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

A

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A

God drat Jeffrey just cannot do anything right. Time to keep loving up!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Hey all! Thanks for remembering and posting.

I'm honestly surprised so far and was expecting this to go B's way and that peeps would have moved on and just wanted closure!

I almost didn't post this, so sure was I (and so embarrassed) that this story's time was done.

I'd like to give it a while to see if anyone else crawls out of the woodwork, (or anyone new - for some reason the thread got over 3 thousand views in the year+ since the last proper update)

My plan should A end up winning is to continue, aiming for one update a week, probably not the 2-3 a week I originally sustained.

busb fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 17, 2021

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

B

I will always take knowledge

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

ASAPRockySituation posted:

B

I will always take knowledge

If B wins I will open the books and answer all questions and think about starting a new project, likely in a completely different world/setting

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
My name is Jeffery and I have spent a large amount of my time nagging busb to update this drat thread.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
You know I want B after all this time of nagging you to talk to me about this and you putting it off saying one day you may pick it up and didn't want to spoil me. gently caress it, spoil me and write something new.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

So DEMANDING

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Demand away! If they people want more fuckup Jeffrey that's what they get!

If it's answers and new seeing, then that's fine too.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

busb posted:

Vote redux

A. You wake. The cut was shallow enough and healed. There are mysteries to unravel. You have family counting on you. You can do this. You must. You open your eyes.

23rd Fulltoil, 264d

You dream you are floating among the stars. All around you is bleak nothing, and you feel strangely comforted. This vast canvas, waiting to be moulded and painted into something, it is what you were shaped to do, what you are training to accomplish. You fear it. You covet it.

A bright star appears in the distance. A pinprick of piercing pale yellow light that grows stronger, fiercer, and more painful. Yet you can't help looking at it, as it gets closer and closer and a murmur of sound joins it in empty, pounding refrain.

You open your eyes. All you see is a small flame of light, yet it pierces you, and hurts. 

You close your eyes against the pain of the light. An annoying hum of voice sounds to your side, but can't quite make out the words. And your neck aches something fierce. A cool cloth replaced on your forehead and a hand rests gently on your chest. 

"He'll live" you hear a voice say softly, satisfied. You can't tell if the voice is male or female, nor remember its timbre.

"Good work." The voice sounds relieved, "Take 'im up to the Academy, with this." you hear a faint sound, begrudging acknowledgement, and mercifully fall asleep again.

24th Fulltoil, 264d
"Ahah! He wakes! This voice, low and calm, rings of familiarity. "It really would have been quite a shame to lose such potential so young."  You turn to the voice, and open your eyes to slits. 

The Profektus peers down at you, hands clasped, from his perch on a stool that can't be comfortable for a man approaching old age to be seated in for long.

"Well Indurate, I look forward to your report. There are several inconsistencies with the merchant's story that I hope you are able to clear up.  You seem to have been caught up in somewhat interesting events," he pauses briefly, "again."

You try to speak and end up dryly coughing, and you reach out to a pitcher of water you assume is for you, and gulp it down. You cough, wetly this time, as you gulp it down too quickly. 'Always messing things up, aren't we, you sadly think to yourself.

"You've got some visitors lad, come see me tomorrow, I've been told you should be upright by dawn.' He says airily, but the sooness of your meeting and the fact he's here at all tells you that the Profektus is hungry for your information. With that, he pats your hand, and leaves. In his wake rushes your two stalwart friends to replace his sternness with friendship and camaraderie. 

Cel gives your hands a big, strong squeeze and smiles at you, but you can see concern in the corners of her big brown eyes. Trev looks like he'd love to pick you up and give you a huge hug, but instead grasps your shoulder solidly, and grins.

"You really need to stop fainting Jeff, you know. One of these days nobody nice will be around to pick you up again" he laughs, but you can tell there's worry behind the joking facade.

Cel thwacks him in the stomach, which Trev doubles over, wincing in pain. "Oh give it a rest, that wasn't that hard. But seriously Jeff, can you stop making us worry so much about you? Getting stabbed and held hostage by bandits? Trust you to find yourself in trouble, but you really do need to work on some common sense into that thick skull of yours. Being terribly clever doesn't stop knives from slicing you up, as you've just been ably reminded!" 

You smile at their bickering and scolding and raise your hands playfully in surrender.

Over the next hour, you talk at length with Trev and Cel about what they've heard, and you share what little you feel is safe for them to know. If they can tell you are holding back on them, they don't say anything.

You learn that the common story around Vise is that a local cartel of ore thieves had been thwarted through quick thinking and action from a Gratitude merchant and her caravan guards.

You piece it together as best you can, and you reckon the merchant guard had gone for help once you and Cara entered the shop and didn't emerge. Returning with a dozen men, they rescued Cara and you from being held by a thug who had been stealing ore shipments. Apparently Cara claimed the ore wagon was hidden nearby, neatly sidestepping the question of why you were there at all. She received praise and reward for her actions, and your involvement is currently unknown by anyone, merely that you were one of Cara's hires, and held and knifepoint and nearly murdered before Cara saved you, heroically, with the help of her guards.

Not quite how it went down, you think bitterly. But you are unsure if you should correct the narrative. With Amber gone… dead… you have several things to consider. 

1) Cara heard the initial thief's claim of a greater conspiracy, but with the leader's (Fate's) demise and her hands on a full shipment of top quality ore she will likely be content to wash her hands of it from here and take her profits and acclaim.

2) The Administration likely won't believe nor care about a wide conspiracy, and convincing them without you knowing anyone else to implicate will be incredibly difficult, and probably end up hurting your reputation more than not.

3) Amber is dead and burned. She holds no power over you now, and neither can she threaten you with revealing the Blackness to the Administration. Still, you feel a twinge of remorse. She claimed to have lived for thousands of years, yet within a couple of hours of meeting you, was skewered and slain. Maybe you are cursed. 

4) She claimed a plan to steal the Carentium primary shields from each city. Was this bluster? Should you mention something about it? Revealing this will mean changing the whole narrative of the ore theft's events, and suddenly the Administration would be very, VERY, interested in you. But if thousands of people's lives are in the balance in Gratitude, which has no secondary to fall back on courtesy of your own actions cycles ago, maybe you should do something.

It is these issues that keep you awake much of the night.

25th Fulltoil, 264d
Come the morning you are tired, yet sure of your actions. You grab some freshly baked bread slathered with butter and creamed honey on the way to the Profektus' office, and hurriedly scarf it down before you are quickly admitted into the Profektus' office to report on your assignment, and ultimately how your first full cycle as an Indurate has passed.

Vote 1 - Amber Report

A. You agree with the common story, spicing it up with minor details that only you would know to satisfy the Profektus. It makes you seem like you were just doing ordinary Indurate duties and got caught up in events. You would provide standard proof of your capabilities as a Quantologist, and have no chance at arousing suspicious or unwanted attention. It would lead to the Academy confirming the cartel's existence and be used against them.

B. You report along the same lines of the common story, but insist it was your deduction and actions that led to discovering the ore thieving was widespread, and who was responsible. You don't change anything about your encounter with Amber and knowledge of a greater theft/conspiracy/whateverthefuck Amber was trying to accomplish. This will attempt to impress the Profektus about some Administration failures, providing him with limited Administration sabotage knowlege, but with a risk that if he doesn't believe you or consider it worthwhile then it may backfire, as you're only telling him half the story. If successful you'll somewhat impress the Quantologists.

C. You challenge every aspect of the story, being as close to the truth as you can without giving away any of your key secrets about the Blackness and your relationship with Amber. You convince the Profektus that there are elements working against the Administration even now, and that although Fate claimed to be their leader, it seemed like every city had elements working against the Administration. If you can convince the Profektus, which you reckon you have a fair shot at doing, it would show not only your Quantologist's proficiency at using your powers of deduction and observation, but provide significant proof of Administration sabotage. The crackdown on the dissidents will be severe, and the wide ranging impacts of this could result in the Profektus deciding that holding onto this proof isn't worth it.

D. You tell the Profektus nothing. You don't want to risk the lives of conspirators working in the shadows. Instead you profess ignorance, or forgetfulness from your injury. Nobody will be pleased, but perhaps you seek to aid the conspiracy later on.

E. Some other story, to achieve a different result? [writein]

busb fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 21, 2021

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hrm. Sorry Busb, what were we seeking to do by proving conspiracy again? It's been a while.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

A

Let’s play dumb here

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Natural 20 posted:

Hrm. Sorry Busb, what were we seeking to do by proving conspiracy again? It's been a while.

The Profektus tasked you with interfering with the Administration's operations in Vise. You think you can try and convince him that the Fate ore conspiracy is still ongoing, and the administration won't realise for some time.
In truth it negatively impacts a vast array of honest crafters across the entire city - not to mention Academy Fabricists, but consider that if your claims that the local authorities cant keep the vital, expensive ore trade crime free, their prestige and power will take a significant hit.

This entirely depends on convincing the Profektus however, as he may well consider the negative impacts on his own interests to outweigh the leverage.

e: There are some minor wording changes to votes to reflect the above and intent.

B is risking a bit to gain a bit more, but reveals nothing about the widespread plan/corruption
C is risking a lot for larger reward, but almost guaranteed to impact the other conspirators (if they exist) who will theoretically continue to operate. Whether they actually exist after Fate's death is not really known, but you are trying to convince him anyway.

busb fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 21, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
B We're good at the talking part. I'm happy to take a small risk for some payoff here. I don't think revealing the wider plan is a huge deal for the moment, we need more evidence that it'll continue to operate without the ringleaders.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Perhaps a brief recap of the relevant critical information may help? I realise it's been a while.

busb posted:

You outline your desire to keep studying both Quantology and Caeolology. You've done excellently in them in the past and you know you can be a great asset to both.

The Profektus lowers his eyes to contemplate, "There is some natural crossover yes, and you have excelled this is true. I myself was a Quantologist so I understand. Even if i were to approve this, you would set yourself apart from your fellows. The Quantologists would spurn your frivolous activities in the countryside, and the Caelologists would scorn your need to methodically and relentlessly run probabilities and models in your study for months on end.

"If you were to do this, I believe it is nearly certain you would never excel in either station." He takes a sip of water, idly tapping his finger along the glass, and flicks it to make a pleasant ringing sound. You take the break as a chance for a final plea, saying that you truly can excel if given the chance! You can do it! You know you can!
"You will likely fail...but that does not mean you would not be useful." The Profektus says deliberately.

"So I will allow this. Of a sort. You have not convinced me you would spend Academy time usefully studying both simultaneously. Instead you will spend your Indurate cycles consecutively. Two in Quantology, followed by two in Caelology. At the end of these four cycles, you will be eligible for elevation to the rank of Fabricist if your work is satisfactory. You will begin with Quantology come FirstToil. You will achieve everything demanded of you by each individual faculty,

"Firstly, you much earn enough coin to satisfy your faculty.

"Secondly, you must also prove to each faculty that you can be trusted. For while there are positive communications currently between each, it is nothing like that will be required of someone to be a confirmed Fabricist of both.

"And thirdly," you grimace at the Profektus' pregnant pause. "You must continue to thwart the Lady Jinda's attempts to throttle us."

You are shocked and stammer what he.. Why...you???

He leans back with a pleased smile. "Oh the Administration does important, great things no doubt. But they cannot stand in the way of progress forever, and nor can they continue without our precious knowledge and experts. They allow us tidbits and small morsels but we cannot thrive and advance. You've already tweaked their nose twice now. Just continue to do so. Preferably in ways that they don't even realise. I cannot protect you except within these walls and what is ostensibly for the good of the Liberator and his people. So don't go whipping the beehive... but do steal me a honeycomb or two."

Your worldly belongings include:
A rough purse containing 0 electrum fists, 7 lead knuckles and 8 copper nails (7L8C)
A homemade sling from your childhood
A wolf fang necklace gifted to you by your mother before you left for the Academy
A simple bronze knife
A ^melded^ small red box, hidden among your belongings which is starting to go pale at the sides*
Several vials of different coloured solutions, smuggled from the Delve*
A small stack of ancient parchment, containing hastily transcribed Magi letters and writings*
A ^melded^ purple chisel blade that by itself you have difficulty holding*

Anything marked with an asterisk is highly illegal and you have no viable excuse for possessing.
[/quote]

You are Indurate Jeffrey.
You have survived your 19th Storm.

pre:
You are a slightly shorter than average young man
You are skinny for your age, and struggle carrying things youths your age can 
You are somewhat flat-footed 
You sometimes spill your inkwell on accident
You're far too weak and drained to do even half your usual run up the entire path to Stormchaser's Bluff
Your hair has a definite reddish streak to it
Your eyes are splintered with emerald shards and purple slivers, and a hint of gold flecks. Nobody else seems to have mentioned this though
Your pleasant features are marred by several slowly healing, scars on your face, neck, arms and legs
You are intuitive to people's needs and you are often able to convince others of your point of view
Your body contains a tiny vessel of Blackness
You know how to roughly manipulate the Ether
You have a crass understanding of how to ^meld^
You should avoid fights against even the wimpiest of bandits. 

And how you fared in your first job:

busb posted:

You have 1 story of Administration sabotage :sickos:
You have 0E, 7L, 8C in coin :smaug:
You have impressed 1/11 senior Quantologists. :monocle:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

That's a good point. The Profektus wants to hear something like this in the first place, so we shouldn't have too much trouble convincing him. Switching to B

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
B because I like to flip coins.

Also Busb can you remind us what our "science" and "not magic" education means. I can't exactly remember what a Quantologist does. Or that Aether manipulating stuff is.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Gridlocked posted:

Also Busb can you remind us what our "science" and "not magic" education means. I can't exactly remember what a Quantologist does. Or that Aether manipulating stuff is.

As you learned in your first cycle at the Academy:

Initia Fabricist Bikami posted:

"You may be wondering, dear class, why numbers matter so much. You may be wondering why the whole city is mandated to be here for this too. Well it’s quite simple, the Vise Administration believes that through application of Quantology we can be at our most productive for our people.

“Great Quantologists of our age are the people that drive us to greatness. We squeeze blood from stone, draw water from the desert, and grow earth’s bounty through fire.” Fabricist Bikami proudly proclaims. She continues on in this fashion, and you can’t help but be taken in by her soaring platitudes, so much so that you forget how she tried to humiliate you earlier.

“Of course, anyone can do these things on a small scale, make a pot or write a letter, but through the beauty of Quantology we predict, demand and solve the demands of the entire dominion. Just a couple of cycles ago one of our rising stars predicted a decrease in barley crop based on hundreds of different variables, and saw that by switching production to maize in two-thirds of zone 4 temperatic farms we would eliminate a famine, before it ever occurred.
That, my pupils, is the beauty of what we do. We predict, we demand, and we fix disasters that you never hear of it. Nor need to. Students, what we do here for this cycle is show you how to do this on a small scale. Vise is Deliverance’s most productive and successful city for a reason, and that’s due to the education you receive from me. If you learn to watch your sums and count your nails that you don’t even own yet, you’ll be successful in whatever Duty you perform.

“For my Prentices, you are expected to grow beyond the practicality of sums. You are expected to embrace the ultimate truth of our discipline - to solve the needs of our existence and more. You will serve the taxation, census and productivity bureaus. You will be the brains and the gatekeepers of the grease that keeps this wagon of perfect existence continuing, forever. ”

Of course you may have learned a whole lot more since then. Using modelling, predictions and an incredible amount of data. So incredible, that you spoke to what you think makes it all possible. An imprisoned strange being of light.

busb posted:

14th Duty, 263d

You don't know what you expected, but it wasn't really this. A half dozen young quantologists sit on chairs facing another room. With one hand they scribble away frantically at sheets of parchment, and with the other, it is spread, palm first and fingers outstretched into a darkened, and mostly opaque glass pane. One of the quantologists briefly moves his hand from the glass to stretch his hand and you see a palmprint clearly indented into the glass. And where the palmprint is, the shadowing is noticeably clearer. As you walk past him, you look at his scribblings. There are a mix of numbers and letters that don't mean a whole lot to you. Every so often, the others stop writing briefly to stretch and flex their tired fingers that touch the glass pane.

Paum touches the shoulder of the man and another woman and they both startle in shock and look around. Paum smiles and nods at the door, and the quantologists look both disappointed and relieved, but they quickly nod and smile in obvious gratitude, and quickly - almost at a run - tap the shoulders of the other quantologists and they quickly leap up and empty the room.

Paum sits you in one, takes the other then motions you to look through the palmprint. The room on the other side is… bright. Now that you're not protected by the shadowed glass through the palmprint, you see what looks like… thin filaments of black thread? It threads are very thin, but you feel yourself drawn to it. With a shock you realise it's carentium. It sings and calls to you.

The threads bend and almost pierce the source of the room's light. It's brightness is almost blinding - would be blinding without the darkened glass between you. It's not constant either, it moves around, and throws incandescent shadows on the stone walls, floor and roof. Paum indulgently smiles at your wonder; though perhaps not truly comprehending the particular nature of your wonder. He then places his hand imperfectly against the palmprint in front of him. His hand is much larger, but momentarily the window shifts and moves until it readjusts to perfect space for him.

His face then goes blank, and the light in the room pulses. You look at the window. You look through the palmprint, and your curiosity overcomes you. You feel like you shouldn't be doing this, but Liberator drat it, you can't help yourself. You place your hand on the window, and the Blackness sparks once again. You try to hold it in check, but the carentium so close to you overcomes you. You ^grasp^ the Blackness.

Your other self look to the side, and Paums lips move, but no sound comes out. But somehow… you hear the vibrations along the glass in your fingers.

"I have a question. Answer it for me and you will be Indulged."

"Yes, anything, we will answer it. We will answer it!"
The vibration answers excitedly, greedily, desperately.

You feel pity for a second, and then you look at the room. With the Blackness you see the Thing as it is.

And it is beautiful. Every colour you can imagine intertwined and twisting and pulsing infinitely, in every direction, and in ways that are impossible. It makes your head feel hot, and your other hand clutches your head.

*Stop. Close your eyes strange one. We cannot think with you ^shouting^ your pain so The thing whispers to you. You close your eyes and briefly feel its attention wander away.

Paum's vibrations resume "How can we detect the existence of carentium ore?"

"You think to imprison another of us? You will not, for I… this one of us is all that is left."

You ^feel^ its pain. Why does it hurt so? Its attention shifts back to you:

*You have touched the ether, Black one. You have seen it, what's more you have (^used^) it. We have never met one such as you before. My… (^pain^) Our curiosity is piqued. One moment*

You ^feel^ a pulse, but not at you. You see movement to your side, and Paum's eyes glaze over, and his hand flops from the pane to his side.

*We will engage with that one soon. Our trade pains us, but my need to commune, even briefly, is worth the price. Our need. Our need.*
*A new thing, new knowledge, we must understand you. Perhaps, Etherwrought, you will enter into a trade with us? Tell me what you are, and we will answer your questions. While our past trades have caused... pain... to this world, Rest assured that until I am freed from this cage nothing will leave us...me.*

As for the Blackness, you've been caught in multiple 'magical' workings now. The trap that teleported you and Kel to the caverns deep beneath the Delve, where the huge amounts power you tried and failed to absorb manifested as a toxic, radioactive sludge. The rogue magi that attacked your camp, and recently the small encounter with Amber, where you resisted to urge to drain her and mentioned that obtaining more of the mineral and absorbing it may help prevent the colour-poisoning again. In addition, you have experimented somewhat with Oreologist Bortwin your erstwhile mentor and patron with mixed results, and he also desires more carentium ore to work with. Your aims may coincide. They may not.

You are fairly crude in manipulating the Blackness and taking on colours from the world around you, and you have ^melded^ several items which look beaten and bent like a novice had made them, apart from their colour and material which scream 'unnatural' to your people's way of life. You would be killed by the Administration if they found them in your possession, without a doubt.

I think re-reading some of the relevant updates on the Blackness may be best, but there are a lot of them scattered about. Simply, you are able to embrace your Blackness and look upon the world with different eyes, where colours are vibrant and you desire to drink them all up.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
23rd Fulltoil, 264d

busb posted:

Vote 1 - Amber Report

B. You report along the same lines of the common story, but insist it was your deduction and actions that led to discovering the ore thieving was widespread, and who was responsible. You don't change anything about your encounter with Amber and knowledge of a greater theft/conspiracy/whateverthefuck Amber was trying to accomplish. This will attempt to impress the Profektus about some Administration failures, providing him with limited Administration sabotage knowledge, but with a risk that if he doesn't believe you or consider it worthwhile then it may backfire, as you're only telling him half the story. If successful you'll somewhat impress the Quantologists.

It's been a draining couple of days, you're still very weak from your injury and bloodloss and your bandaged neck is devilishly itchy. You stand before the Profektus, who doesn't acknowledge your wan face, merely gestures with a wizened hand at you to report. You try to coherently recount the assignment, and your part in it. The Profectus' eyes bore into you as you talk, and he barely speaks except to ask for clarification on certain methods you used to reason your way to the ore wagon switching conclusion.

You reach the end of your tale with your neck being cut, hoping your glossing over your discussion with Amber isn't noted. The Profektus taps his fingers on the table, looking at you thoughtfully. "You've got a penchant for getting yourself into trouble, Indurate. I don't know whether to applaud your dedication to your task, or punish you for taking such risks with your life. You have been somewhat useful to the Academy, and it would be a shame to see your flame gutter."

"But be that as it may, you have done a fair job. Here." He pushes a small stack of coin toward you, "Your report meets what i've heard already several days ago, when your employer dropped off your payment along with her version of events." He flicks the last nail idly. "But she got to her first i'm afraid."

You count what is passed across. Six… no eight knuckles and a half dozen nails. Cara must have made quite bit more from thwarting Amber, probably recovered an extra ore wagon or reward from the Administration or similar, you surmise.

You pause your counting for a second and ask who the Profektus alluded to, got to who first?

"The esteemed Lady Jinda of course. Who else?" He dryly replies. "And you'll be none too surprised to hear that your name appearing in this tale was not received terribly well. The fair and just Lady has kept the Academy's role in disrupting the ore thieves from the public, and not just that, has censured you 'while Administration officials investigate Academy interference'. Pfah!" he spits, "as if those dimwitted lackeys could understand the half of what we can do. If only we had free hand.." You zone out a bit here, familiar with the Profektus' diatribes on the Academy's potential. You eventually get in a word and ask him what this censure means.

"Oh it's nothing serious for you my boy. It just means you personally are prohibited from using your position as an Indurate to assist with any other citizen's Duty for the next cycle. Now now i see your frown boy, what is one cycle? The censure doesn't apply to works done within the Academy, so your studies or faculty works can proceed as per normal, and nor does her directive apply to any other city. While this would be a harsh trial for any normal Dutiful citizen, it shouldn't affect you much. Just treat it as a sign that you're ruffling poor old Jinda's feathers," the Profektus chuckles at his own wit. But you think of your family, picturing them similarly censured and unable to open the tavern doors for a whole cycle. Ruin is the only picture you can summon, and you struggle to fake a smile back.

"Ah well, regarding the results of your work. You have payment for services rendered, and we know more on how poorly the local Administration is operating. To think that this ore thief slipped through Administration cracks, and it took a meagre merchant and a novice Quantologist to get to the bottom of it." He shakes his head, and you try hard not to feel belittled, and mostly fail. He continues "Oh I suppose Gratitude may have figured it out eventually after insisting on a more formal investigation, but the Administration here in Vise would have gotten richer to their detriment."
He takes a breath.

"Well, with the merchant claiming the credit and your name kept out, we're limited in what we can accomplish here. Solid work boy. Some of the senior Quantologists will believe you competent enough i'm sure. Now off with you, and prepare yourself for next cycle"

And with that, you are excused.

You have the best part of Duty and Storm to yourself. You take stock of your current Academy directives.

Jeffrey's Quantology Induracy progress posted:

You have 2 stories of Administration sabotage and ineptitude :sickos:
You have 0E, 15L, 14C in coin :smaug:
You have impressed 3/11 senior Quantologists. :monocle:

It's the most amount of coin you've ever had in your life, and not just that, you're about par on your way to convincing half the sitting senior Quantologists on your capabilities. Added to that with you sowing some Jeffrey-brand discord among the Administration, you have many reasons to be pleased. In addition, your practical work over the past cycle has definitely improved your investigative reasoning and practical probabilities. In addition to a bit more than superficial knowledge of the ore trade, and ore qualities. Maybe you should have been a miner after all, you quietly chuckle.

But your life is so much more grand, for good or ill. You think back to the threads of your life that have led you here. Unresolved, or unwanted? You try and remember back on all the parts of yourself and your abilities and your time claimed by others. Parts of you, cut many ways.

Indurate Jeffrey's Life Goals posted:

1) Your immediate goal is to succeed at becoming a dual Quantologist and Caelologist.
To do so, first you must spend one more cycle proving your worth to the Quantologists and the Profektus, then will spend two more cycles helping the Caelologists.
Most of this means earning enough hard coin to prove your productivity to society.

2) Your mother and father in Gratitude, who you care for a fair amount, struggles against debt cycle upon cycle.
With banditry becoming more rife, their Duty payments are harsh, and they owe five lead knuckles each Duty (5L), well last you heard anyway.
It's not your responsibility to help them with coin, but perhaps you may wish to.

3) Your patron at the Academy - Oreologist Bortwin - desires your assistance in finding new sources of carentium ore - the material that you fused into the Blackness through a Stormstrike.
He also wants help with setting up experiments to ensure that when you do find some, you have proper experimentation and tools ready.
With this in place, you may figure out a way to become more powerful yet importantly unbeholden to another being.

4) Stormchaser Chloy - a slightly older Caelologist wants you to help… end the Storm? Somehow.
She's an idealist and thinks that you know more than you're letting on. But what help can you actually be?

5) Your sister Imogen - a brave leader and solid fighter with a fierce familial streak.
She managed to get herself and Kel assigned to help you on your Delve, which you were quite likely to die from some deadly trap or another or the ensuing bandit attack without them.
Maybe you owe them a debt, which you would want to repay some day.

6) The being of light held in the Quantum Archives, deep underneath the Academy, has begged you to save it from its captivity.
You've seen the security to even get into the same building as it, and not only that it is a key element of the Academy's ability to function in society.
Even putting aside the difficulty of the task; without the light, your new Quantological home, and probably both the Academy and Administration in general would be irrevocably crippled.

7) Ruby. Your other patron, perhaps your true patron.
Ruby is a powerful being from the void that saved your life from certain death, and bound himself to you.
He wants you to go out and absorb colours and power, as much of it as you can. By doing this, he can siphon some of this power and speed his arrival to your stricken world.
His arrival promises great power and rewards to you for achieving this, and perhaps with his power, great things could be done across the land.

8) Amber. Your erstwhile antagonist who you rebuffed, sacrificed and burned her magic and soul to rush to your world.
If you can believe her, she did this to prevent Ruby from ever arriving.
She wanted your help to do things, such as steal the Liberator's carentium shields that protect each of the cities, and ultimately destroy the Administration.
She has now died, which was surely no fault of yours. But will her plots survive her death? If so, your family and all of Gratitude are in mortal Peril. And... do you owe her anything?

You bleakly consider your mental list... wondering if you have forgotten anything. So many people claiming parts of yourself, and there's only so much you can do. But with Duty and Storm to come, you have some time to prepare yourself for the coming cycle. You're incredibly weak, but you demand much of yourself. How do you prepare for the coming year?

Vote 3 - Getting yourself into it
A. Quite simply, you're lucky not to be dead. You're weak, your muscles protest at any sort of simple exercise like walking the Academy grounds, and your body and mind fatigue quickly. You need rest, and don't work yourself too hard.

B. You're physically weak, but your force of will is stronger. You push yourself, forcing yourself to exert physically to becoming even stronger than you were before. You keep up your studies, sure but your body can take it, you'll be ready to take on next cycle, no doubt about it.

C. You need to study. You need to know more, become smarter, and avoid the pitfalls that keep getting you into messes. You need to learn more in order to be the best drat Indurate this place has ever seen

D. You don't have time to worry about your health. You help the Quantologists with odd jobs and help. Duty is their busiest time, and your assistance will earn you both coin and impress your seniors with your dedication!

E. It's time you helped someone else for a change!
Ea You spend time with Bortwin, working at his experiments and trying to figure out how to obtain carentium
Eb You spend time with Chloy, seeing if there's anything interesting happening with the Storm recently, and trying to figure out patterns that could point to… something?
Ec You spend time with your Academy friends Trev and Celestine, they've been there for you when you fall, and are concerned for you. You gave up on most other fledgling friendships but for some reason they've stuck around, although seem to be in their own company more than yours lately. Probably Artiology stuff. Maybe you should reconnect?
Ed If there's people that deserve your time, its Indurates Dapimo, Xavier, Bundur and Venadi. Particularly Venadi, your Quantological nemesis. You spend your time learning about them, and trying to thwart their own Induracies. They've meddled with your life enough, maybe its time for you to strike back?

F. There's a part of you that eschews all else. Your Blackness desires your attention. Demands it. You want to explore it through meditation, practice and maybe a bit of ^melding^ if you feel like it. Other people can't help you as much as it can, and it is your true path to success in life.
G. Something else?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

How many do we get to pick?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009