Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
§ I touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

⌂ I touch you. ::

Don't unleash the pushy rear end in a top hat that promises power

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

⌂ I touch you. ::

Don't unleash the pushy rear end in a top hat that promises power

:same:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

busb posted:

:: glows
She will kill you. ^touchme^!

I don't want to die! ^touch^

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

busb posted:

§ I touch you. ::

Against the emptiness of your lost consciousness, you ^feel^ the two ^colours^ wash against you.
They are confused, they are confusing, but they seem to need you.

You sway back and forth, and tacitly understand what they mean by ^touching^. You ^reach^ out to :: and as you near it/Him, it/He ^reaches^ out, and ^holds^ you tight. You ^touch^ it/Him, and you

...gasp as something flows from you. It/He draws from you, drinking and slurping from you. You are powerless to stop It/Him, and you drift limply in Its/His will.

wordlessly cries out, and pulls at a small ^threadslice^, before :: ^slapbrushes^ her away, and she tumbles away into invisible emptiness.

And then it stops. You ^feel^ Him

He is bigger, whether from your ^touch^, or whether the ^touch^ merely lets you feel see Him clearer.

He sighs, luxuriating.
“A good start, but not enough. Not nearly enough.” He pauses.
You can hear him much clearer now; he sounds renewed.

He brushes a red tendril down your chest and presses, scrapes away your ephemeral stuff. It ^hurts^. And you scream again, bright red and white flashing in your eyes for what must be a long time in this empty place.

“Interesting,” He muses, “None of my fools had ever managed to create something so ...” He stops
“I know not how you have done this. But the energy you took into yourself through this dark alloy has aided me greatly… and I will reward you in turn. You are lucky, and should be eternally thankful to me. You would fade away quite quickly here in this place. Much like that little gnat. I did so enjoy ridding myself of her.”

You can almost make out a grin.
“So little Lamb I will grant you a favour. I won’t waste much of what little you have given me so... freely. But serve me well and I will share and shape you so that eventually no man or woman will be your equal. Not Bethew, nor that treacherous fool Lawak. They thought me to be used and discarded, but they are very, VERY mistaken.” His anger, fury causes you to flinch away. But he calms himself, draws you back and speaks gently.

“But I am patient. And you will help me again, and I in turn will help you grow… better.” A tendril worms its way into the gash He cleared on your chest, and the pain begins to slowly, inexorably build again. He frowns at something he finds, “Ah, without touching me it seems you may have stayed hidden forever. What good fortune for you that you will never hide from me again!”

“So Lamb, your body is dead without me.” He stretches out and coalesces again, as if testing his strength. “But I can fix you. And perhaps something else... yes, i can spare something little. Speak now, but be quick. Presumption will leave you with nothing.” You feel a small jolt and you feel a brief whisper of strength return to you.

You can speak a few words, no more.

Vote 1 - First Favours
A. You ask for nothing except your life. To continue to serve Him in whatever small way possible.
B. You ask for strength, you want to be a great warrior some day and fight for Him!
C. You ask for nimbleness, you can help free Him better if you can avoid people getting in your way!
D. You ask for cunning. You have much to learn so you can serve Him better
E. You ask for wealth. You can buy things, people, freedom! To uh, serve Him better!
F. You ask for magic. This place has to be magic, and He must be magical in some way? maybe you could become the first Good Magi? You can bring Him power and freedom!
G. You ask for charm. You can be a great leader and convince people to help Him!
H. Some other boon? You don’t know what He is capable of. But you’re sure it will bring glory to Him![/b]

I encourage you all to discuss and think about this, here/Discord (i'll incorporate any ideas into the thread for everyone to see). The voting options are suggestions only, but remember you don’t have the energy to voice a complex request.

busb fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 30, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

D

I'm extremely tempted by F but magic in this universe probably has some real lovely catch like it has to be powered by the blood of virgins or something. Or at least the version this rear end in a top hat would hand out seems like it would, anyways.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

D, cunning. It's a skill we were, uh, missing.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Added option:
G. You ask for charm. You can be a great leader and convince people to help Him!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Charm

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Get charming

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

F

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
i'll leave this vote open for a bit.

just reiterating that you aren't limited by my suggestions for this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Friend, give me the godstuff.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

D seems the best option to ask for

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Current votecount:
D cunning : 3
F magic : 2
G charm: 3

Pretty close, i'll give it ~6 hours until this evening in case there's last minute votes.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Voting D!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

busb posted:

Vote 1 - First Favours
D. You ask for cunning. You have much to learn so you can serve Him better

Using the sliver of energy given to you, you ^project^ ‘I want to be clever’

He grasps you tight and oozes insincerity.
“Oh cleverness is it? You think I will drop the knowledge of aeons in your lap? As if an idiot child like yourself could even comprehend the smallest part. Or perhaps you think I will make you smarter than I? Try and fool me like my previous servants.. TRIED to?” He burns incandescent and you feel blasted to your core.
“You WILL NOT deceive me!”

The Red then settles again. “Ahh but perhaps a small adjustment here or there might help you serve me better. You were simply lucky to create this link. Perhaps… Yes.” he flicks a thin ruby tendril to your ethereal ear, and presses it inexorably inside. Your entire form shudders with uncomfortable heat, and your head and neck itches and protests at the invasion. After he is done, he retreats, and your form vomits small specks of shining turquoise from your nostrils and mouth.

He scoops it up with another tendril and takes it into himself. “Waste not, want not,” He chortles.

“So little Lamb, time for you to serve. I will fix your human shell. It will be functional.

“Here is what you will do. You will discover how to link to me here. You will use these links to feed me more energy. If you manage this, I will offer you your choice of reward. This I promise.

“However, this I also promise.” The ruby flares once more, “Do NOT ignore me, deride me or act against me. I will be free, and while i am a protector and provider to my loyal servants… if you have not aided me sufficiently by the time I return, you and all you care for will be utterly destroyed.

“Farewell Lamb. I do so hope we speak again soon.” A larger, thicker tendril wraps around you, and with a flare of light flicks you out at dizzying speed and you

Gasp

and

The ground is cold and wet beneath you.

Above you is the outstretched arm of the Liberator. In its hand, are the tattered and burnt rags of what remains of your tunic. It seems like you fell.

You take in a ragged breath.

You are real.

You close your eyes.

38th? of Storm 259d

You are lying in bed staring outside. Storms grumble over the mountains distant. Your heart skips every time you hear a strike, but none strike the city - or you - again. You stare at your faint reflection in the glass. Your face has changed, your skin droops slightly, your skin and lips are darker too. You rub your head absently, and feel nothing but the smoothness of your skin. Your hair fell out in the days following your fall, and has shown no signs of growing back again yet.

You wonder again if it was a dream. The lightning, His voice, her please, His promises and demands. All of it seems too much to be true. But you move your hand from head to heart, and to the scabrous flaky skin. You touch it. Your fingers feel rough, hard raw scabs about twice the size of a copper nail. It’s healing, just slowly.

But you know what’s there, lying just beneath your skin. You [i]know[/]i what it feels like, even if your fingers lie. With your hand over it, you press down. It shifts with your skin and muscle and bone. That puddle of blue flecked black; what He called the Dark Alloy.

pre:
Your name is Jeffrey Tavernboy. 
You have survived 14 Storms.
You struggle carrying large pots of tea.
You bump into tables and spill things sometimes.
Just walking around tires you easily.
You sling rocks behind you half the time.
Your hairless head and face are ugly to look at.
You are bored.
You feel connected.
He knows where you are.
You have 3 copper nails.
Your family debt is catastrophic.
Your father and mother enter the room and sit on your bed and bring you a bowl of soup and a cup of tea. All they know is that you fell off the statue when the Storm started.

Question time
You can freely ask your mother or father anything.

busb fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 30, 2019

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:stare:. Well gently caress. That was intense.

"HOW DID THE LIBERATOR SAVE US?"

Cry/panic mode ACTIVATE.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Blasphemaster posted:

:stare:. Well gently caress. That was intense.

"HOW DID THE LIBERATOR SAVE US?"

Cry/panic mode ACTIVATE.
Your mother sets down the cup of tea and rests her hand softly across your forehead.

"Oh Jeffrey, we're just happy you're alive. The Liberator protects us from the Storm. It's his gift to us. This is the first time Storm has ever started early, it must have been such a fright for you dear child."

Your father says: "Nobody tells us simple folk what's really going on, or why lightning almost struck the city! It's unheard of. The Administration has been fussing about the Liberator's Statue in between Storms all season, but they've issued a declaration that it was a one-off event and didn't damage anything, and once again the Liberator's hand is protecting us. Don't worry about it son. Rest up and we'll 'ave you right as rain in no time. And no more climbing if yer gonna get scared off by a teeny little bit of sort-of-nearby evil magic lightning!" He grins and musses your hair.

It seems like the Administration has said that lightning didn't actually strike the city. You're sure you saw lightning crash through Alf's shopfront... but maybe you were wrong? Maybe not though. You're very weak physically but your memory seems (unfortunately) crystal clear.

You're sure the lightning struck you.
Your parents don't seem to know very much, but at least they love you!

Any more questions?
If there are no further questions we'll move to processing end-of-cycle.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

*See something RED and freak out a little.*

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Blasphemaster posted:

*See something RED and freak out a little.*

Incidentally you quietly think about it and fiery ruby is your favourite colour now!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

What's 382 times 412?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
You haven't had any formal reading, writing or maths training. If it comes to handling money or practical applications you've always been okay with that, but you reckon you could do that much quicker and easier now if you had reason to.

You don't seem to have been granted any arcane or magical knowledge or facts.

Well, apart from that apparently you have invented a new viscous metallic alloy that currently sits underneath a large scab on your chest and between your ribs.
Oh and also you've also learned that getting struck by lightning isn't very fun.

busb fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 27, 2019

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

busb posted:

He grins and musses your hair.

Well, it's the thought that counts.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Mom, Dad, do you know anyone I could ask about doing work for training or tutoring? I've been thinking about my Duty and I'd like to see if schooling could help me find something I'm suited for. Maybe I could help some scholars keep their place tidy and they show me how to read? Uh...maybe at a Library?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Blasphemaster posted:

Mom, Dad, do you know anyone I could ask about doing work for training or tutoring? I've been thinking about my Duty and I'd like to see if schooling could help me find something I'm suited for. Maybe I could help some scholars keep their place tidy and they show me how to read? Uh...maybe at a Library?

As you're speaking your mother's face is smiling, but you think you feel her hand tremor a little and says, "Jeffrey, you're perfectly suited to be the best tavernboy this town has ever seen! I'll be out most of Duty, but I'll return soon enough with enough coin to fix up the levy and anything we could need for a while. If that's you properly learning how to read, well then that means the Academy at Vise."

You ask if there's anyone here that can read here in Gratitude instead?

Your father says: "Well most folk working for the Administration have to read - but also have to spend years at Vise and Liberty learnin' before they're posted out somewhere like here. But well, most anyone there won't help a young'un from the goodness o' their generous hearts.
"Apart from that, maybe a traveller or someone not from round here may have learned at Academy." He shrugs, "And them that are travellin' won't be sticking around long enough for it to help. We can't afford to get you a tutor, can't think of anyone that could even do so".

This does make a timely reminder that even though you've just been through a traumatic event and aren't feeling your best, your Duty interview is at the end of this Toil cycle.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
"Can people change their Duty like you did, mom? How hard is it to do?"

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Volmarias posted:

"Can people change their Duty like you did, mom? How hard is it to do?"

Your mother's left hand makes an involuntary gesture as she whispers, "I am my Duty."
She shakes her head gently. "What I mean is that my Duty was discharged...due to somewhat exceptional circumstances. It happens every so often; say they found better ore deposits in another city, and they discovered a secret lake in the hills! The Administration would review miner duties with the view of making sure the miners are not just sitting around doing nothing, and would offer or order miners be reallocated as fisherpeople or some such."

Your father speaks softly, "There's more to it than that Myr. You weren't here back then. If it's important enough there would be an official inquisition sent from Liberty." He matches your mother's somber tone, "There was one, just one, back when i was a lad. An inquisition..." He pauses for a long while before continuing. "They found new ore veins when everyone here was sure we were tapped out. So they announced a whole wagonload of officials here as incompetent. Sent 'em back to Liberty under Emberguard watch. Don't think we ever saw 'em again, but they probably just got sent somewhere else less important than us. Haven't heard of another inquisition since, but I guess there might 'ave been, in other cities.
"Basically, Duties can change according to need. The Liberator knows where he needs us, but it's up to us to make sure we are worthy of him."

He drifts off.
Seems to be a bit of that going around, what with you bedridden, with a burned chest and no hair. Maybe you're not the only one struggling with your brush with death.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

By the way, I'm pretty sure I just met the Liberator and he's kind of a meanie.

:commissar:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
FirstToil, 260d
Storm comes to an end, and so too another cycle. With Storms starting early for the first time in living memory, the townfolk of Gratitude are somewhat scared, but the renewal of seasons seems to happen on time.

You head downstairs, mostly recovered from your ordeal, altough your hair hasn't grown back yet, and your chest scab itches mightily in the evenings. As you step into the common room you are shocked to see an armed and leather armoured woman with her back to you, Her grey-blonde is braided tightly down her back, and your father seated behind her imposing figure. On her left hip is a sheathed curved sword or some such. As she hears you descend the stairs, she turns to you.

“Mother?” You exclaim in shock.

She laughs “Yes dear, it’s really me! Now come over here and give me a hug”. You run over to her and hug her fiercely, and she lifts you with her right arm and hugs you back. Her leather armour is hard and unyielding to your hug, but you do your best to make sure your mother can feel your hug through it! You hadn’t really realised before now just how strong your mother was, she lifts you very easily.
When she puts you down you stare at her. How could she afford this? Her gear seems of exceptional make. Now that you’re close you can see that the leather is actually made of overlapping hard ‘scales’, lacquered dark brown with a slight diagonal stripe of deep burgundy across her left shoulder. She looks fearsome and magnificent.

“That’s my Myr.” Your father says, with a tinge of sadness. “As beautiful as the day she stole my heart.” A smile gradually lights up his face. “Those bandits won’t know what hit ‘em, if they’re stupid enough to get in her way.”

Your mother laughs, even her laughter seems stronger too.
“Love you too Ger. Alright you men!” She salutes you and your father. “You stay here safe protecting the camp. While i’m off on campaign, you each have very important duties. Ger!” She points at your father, “Keep the kettle boiling and the pots stewing. I’ll be hungry, cold and thirsty when i get back.
“Squire Jeffrey!” she barks and points at you, “You must protect our hearth, keep poor old Ger safe and secure at all times. And for Liberator’s sake, don’t go finding any trouble. I’ve got the trouble part all covered.”

She then relaxes and pulls you both into another hug, and she kisses the top of your head, then your father for an uncomfortably long time.
“Okay you two, Liberator guide you both. I’ll be back.” She grins, lets you go, and picks up a large leather backpack by the front door on the way out. With a final wave, she’s gone.

“Well son, just us now hmm? Father-son bonding time! First step, getting tonight’s stew on, then sweeping the tavern floor. I’ll need you every night on tea-brewing, I know it’s going to be hard, but we’ll manage. Now carrots, chop them roughly then…”

As you help your father in the kitchen, it dawns on you. You won’t really have much spare time this year, with neither your sister or your mother around. But you will be able to get a morning or two each week to yourself, before the evenings draw in everyone.

Vote 1: The year ahead
You are much less physically fit due to your ordeal, plus your father really needs your help. In your spare time, what do you want to do?

A. Dedicate yourself to helping your father in the tavern. You won’t get out much, but your family would really appreciate the help. Your father can run things by himself on quiet nights, but if things get busy toward the latter end of the cycle…
B. You work. You haven’t seen Hanah since the Storm incident… she kind of technically owes you some nails and you can earn some more.
C. You seek out travellers to find someone that can read. You want to learn! You’re not sure if your 3 nails is enough to buy tutelage, but maybe they have tasks that you can help with?
D. You try and befriend someone in the Administration. Maybe someone you’ve already met, or a new clerk might be able to teach you some things? Again you don’t know how to afford it but you try.
E. You head out with Kel to keep practicing with your slings. You’re a bit clumsier than previously but there’s only one way to get better…
F. Split your time between two activities. You’ll be less effective at both than just doing one activity (state which you want to attempt).
G. You spend your time seeking out metal masters... maybe someone knows why you know you have liquid metal inside you now?

You also have your Duty interview at the end of the year.
Vote 2: On the cusp
You have 9 months before your interview. While you don’t necessarily have to do anything, what is your approach to preparing for it?
A. What the Liberator wills… You simply don’t have time to worry about it. You do your best by your family for the year, and accept you don’t really know what your interview will entail
B. Set your sights on joining your sister on the Borderlands at Fort Vigil. Enlisting and saving your family coin might be worth it, as well as seeing your sister again. You will try and learn a bit about how to prepare for a life as a soldier
C. Learning calls to you. Your parents have suggested that going to Vise and being trained in more intellectual pursuits is more up your alley. Maybe you should try and learn more about what to expect from Vise (if your family can even afford it)
D. Try and learn about becoming a caravan guard like your mother. If it's in your blood maybe you'd be good at that?
E. Scout out all the other taverns in Gratitude. Your family scoffs at them, but you think you'll try to stay in town and take up a tavern Duty.
F. Another place or city interests you. Try and learn about this instead.

busb fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 30, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

C
C

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CC sounds good to me, though AC was also a thought.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ED

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I honestly forget if we're doing approval voting at the moment, so these are listed in order of preference so if no approval voting, the first one of each group.

A C. + Maybe get our B cash if there's an opportunity.

C A

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
We've got a low enough voter base right now that i'm not too fussed on voting types. Generally i just need to get a good idea of overall voting trend to make sure Jeffrey's actions make the most sense overall.
So if you'd rather 1 option but another option would be acceptable compromise i'm happy to take that into account.
I'd rather not have to deal with anti-votes though.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I'm on a mini holiday and itching to update. Gimme all your votes!!! I crave votes!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

C

and

D

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

CC sounds good to me

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

busb posted:

FirstToil, 260d
Vote 1: The year ahead
C. You seek out travellers to find someone that can read. You want to learn! You’re not sure if your 3 nails is enough to buy tutelage, but maybe they have tasks that you can help with?
Vote 2: On the cusp
C. Learning calls to you. Your parents have suggested that going to Vise and being trained in more intellectual pursuits is more up your alley. Maybe you should try and learn more about what to expect from Vise (if your family can even afford it)

You make a decision, no doubt partly influenced by your recent journey and bargain with the Ruby. If He can indeed make you smarter, you’re drat well going to try and take advantage of it.

There’s just one small problem… you’re in a very regional city where the most important thing is digging up rocks and smashing them into smaller rocks. Not exactly erudite. Your best lead - The Administration - doesn’t really like you, and every time you’ve spoken to someone there you’ve walked out feeling taken advantage of.

You decide that the best chance of finding someone willing to help you is a travelling scholar of some sort. You spend the morning feverishly helping your father prepare the Splintered Oar for the evening, before begging off and rushing out. You spend the entire day walking around the markets, asking merchants. It’s so early in the season that no traders from afar are around yet. Most are selling what they’ve been able to craft in the damp and dark extended Storm season.

You pass by the Liberator’s statue a couple of times, but Hanah is nowhere to be seen. There is a grumpy looking guardsman there though. When you ask him where Hanah is he just tells you to ‘bugger off’. Not a lot of help there…

You manage to get a few more days in FirstToil to search, but still turn up nothing. SecondToil rolls around and you eagerly watch incoming merchants, but with trouble on the roads and the early season, again all that comes in are local farmerfolk. You even eagerly ask the tavern patrons what they know, but most are regulars and all they talk about is how Vice folks are ‘know-it-all nobs’ and how they ‘wouldn’t know honest work if they hit themselves over the head with a cart full of rocks’, which sets the table off laughing in agreement.

It is now ThirdToil, and after yet another morning of washing, polishing and chopping tubers you push yourself and go searching again. An out of the ordinary wagon trailing riders on horseback rolls through town just before noon, and instantly you think it’s worth checking out. It’s a covered purple wagon, dirty and stained from the voyage, but definitely stands out from the usual dull grey and brown utilitarian carts used by locals.

You push through the market and follow the cart and riders as it makes its way to the Administration checkpoint. You get as close as you can to hear:
“...shell inspectors for the Foreman and Lord Carlisle.” the driver announces to a stiff official, who turns quickly and urgently shouts at one of her clerks to quickly inform the Lord and Foreman of the newcomers.

There are a half-dozen mounted Emberguard ahead of the wagon, and four people obviously not from around here, who dismount with a distinct lack of grace and comfort. The man of the group stumbles as he hits the ground and almost falls over with a grunt, while the three women have a bit less trouble, though seem just as tired. They are dressed in strange oversized tunics that hang almost to their knees, and each have a purple sash around their waist.

“We’ll need help unloading our wagon Good Madam.” The tallest and greyest of the ladies speaks clearly. The tenor of her voice sounds almost musical to your ears.

“Please arrange baths for me and my companions before we meet with your esteemed leaders” she bows at the local official, who speaks nervously back:
“Please Lady, we were not told of your dispatch, I cannot let you in until I receive authorisation”

The foreign lady stares with a small frown for a good half-minute before snapping to the smallest and youngest girl of the group to “fetch out their warranty, quickly now!”

The girl awkwardly trots back to her horse and rummages around in its saddlebags to come up with a tightly rolled scroll of parchment, which she lands to the Lady. She accepts it graciously, then scowls at something, before reaching into a tunic pocket for a small brush, which she uses to quickly brush against the parchment. Apparently satisfied, she puts the brush away and presents it to the official, who looks at the seal, and looks even more terrified, which you didn’t believe was possible.

She is soon rescued by the appearance of a large, ugly middle aged man, who you instantly recognise as the man whose office you stumbled into cycles ago. He stops on the landing, running his hand through his thinning grey hair and blanches, before speaking

“Lady, welcome to Gratitude for this most unexpected of visits. Visitors from Vise are always welcome. I am Lord Carlisle, one of the Senior Counsel of the local Administration. We are pleased to serve the Liberator in any way we may.” He bows deeply, “I received no word of an official visitation, we are unfortunately woefully unprepared for a formal party or Forum gathering. To whom do we owe the pleasure?”

The Lady smiles and points a casual thumb at the scroll gingerly held by the local customs official, but says nothing. Carlisle glares at his underling, and snatches up the scroll and breaks its seal and starts reading. You watch him but he does a very good job of not giving anything away. He quickly furls it again, and whispers quickly and harshly to his official, who quickly and urgently huffs off with several clerks in tow.

Carlisle turns back to the visitors and bows again.
“Ahh, Lady Kyra, you and your party must be tired and thirsty from your trip from Vise, Juna is securing you lodgings in our finest inn as we speak, we also insist on a welcoming lunch at my estate which is not far.”

Lady Kyra replies “Oh let me correct you on one small point Lord Carlisle. I haven’t come from Vise, but from Liberty.” She pausesto let that sink in for a while, and Carlisle’s eyes bug out completely. Kyra lets him sweat before chuckling “But my fellows here are from Vise.” You’re not sure why, but you can tell Carlisle visibly relaxes after learning this. You don’t know why, but this mixed party must mean something different to what he was fearing.

Kyra continues “You and the good, hard-working folk of Gratitude have nothing to fear i’m sure.” Another pause. “And I look forward to hearing all about it over early supper. My party will not be joining us, and will seek rest and sustenance before our formal Forum introductions. Tonight. With a full assembly.” All this is said as fact, and Carlisle just nods along with a plastered smile.

You’re standing in front of what has turned into a bit of a crowd, curious townfolk wondering who and what these strangers are doing. Lady Kyra then turns to the crowd. You can’t help wondering if she knew you were all there listening all along. Her cool green eyes scan and quickly hone in on you and she points at you. Directly at you. Shite.

“You. Uhh...boy? Where is the best food and drink in Gratitude?”

You look wide eyed and say: “Splint'dor…. Milady”. You blurt out. You can’t even remember the names of any other taverns under her gaze. She raises an eyebrow.

“Very well, boy take them to this ‘Splintor’.” She gestures to the Emberguard and makes a quick hand gesture.
They all dismount, form up around the three travellers and their captain says “Right boy, lead on. Directly now.” You nod deferentially and quickly lead them across town to your family's tavern.

Your mind bubbles with questions. Who are they? What are they doing here? More importantly, do you want to try and talk to them?

Vote 1: From Vise?
A. You tell Da to serve them your best food and tea. Maybe they’ll be so impressed that you’ll overhear useful stuff?
B. You straight up ask the three of them for help. You want to go to Vise and learn to read and all that, can they help you? Maybe you could offer them something in return while they visit?
C. The three underlings don’t interest you. You instead try and find out where Carlisle and the Lady Kyra are having lunch and somehow try and eavesdrop on them? This could be really important!
D. Nope. Nope. This is a BAD idea. You will wait to talk to a normal merchant or traveller or someone safe, not these three. You think their attention will be too risky.
E. You serve them diligently, but try to talk to one of the party when you get a moment to approach them individually.
Ea. You approach the oldest, the man. If he’s older maybe he needs more help? Or maybe he knows more?
Eb. You approach the younger woman. She’s not a whole lot older than you, maybe about your sister’s age? Maybe she’s just an apprentice herself. She probably wouldn’t know as much, but maybe her age will play better?
Ec. You approach the older woman. She looks about thirty, somewhat younger than your parents. She hasn’t really spoken much, but her silent mystery draws you to her.
F. Some other approach for a specific reason.

busb fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ea

Exciting! I don’t want to leave this city as I recall our pal Ruby told us to feed them at the same statue next storm. Won’t be too easy from Vise now will it?