Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

What is Danganronpa V3?

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony is the third sequel to Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, released by Spike Chunsoft to the PS4, Vita and PC in Japan during January 2017, and to the rest of the world in September and October of that year. It is the first main game in the series to be developed after the series became popular in English-speaking countries, and features higher resolution art along with more minigames and postgame content than ever before. The game alternates between visual novel segments and courtroom trials where the minigames happen. The plot follows the same basic pattern as the first game and Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair: several high school students are trapped in a killing game, and our protagonist must solve murder mysteries to survive.

What about them spoilers?

As always, it's highly advised that you avoid googling this game if you haven't played it, because it's really easy to spoil by looking at fanart, official art, reviews, songs on the soundtrack, etc. I'd also recommend catching up with what came before, with FPZero's LPs of the first game and the second game, as well as The McD's LP of the spinoff game, Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls; and the anime sequel, Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy. While those last two are, shall we say, a land of contrasts, and V3 is kind of a soft reboot, I recommend at least a basic familiarity with the first two games before proceeding.

As for in-thread spoilers, let's start off with not allowing any, even in tags. Feel free to speculate about how this game'll turn out, as well as discuss any Danganronpa game, anime, light novel or whatever from before 2017, but this game has only been out for two years, so let's keep things clean. In the unlikely even that I gently caress up and spoil something by accident, tell me about it in PM instead of narcing to the whole thread, please.

How will this work?

It'll be a hybrid LP: everything will be covered in screenshots, supplemented with video when I deem it necessary. Since they're fully voice-acted and have the bulk of the gameplay, each trial will be entirely covered by both video and screenshots. For the screenshot segments, the protagonist's thoughts and narration (blue text in-game) will be italicized, highlighted words will be bolded, and my personal comments will be underlined. I'll be playing on the PS4 version and capturing everything via the Remote Play program. Updates will happen at least once per week at the absolute minimum barring technical difficulties.

Why make this LP?
Orenronen's original translations of these games are the reason I became a goon; I paid for forums membership so I could read along with their DR2 LP and caught up with it just in time for it to get canceled. :v: V3 is my favorite part of the series, so I figured it was time for me to bring things full circle.

There's also a Dead Pool!
There sure is! It's a spreadsheet where people predict who's going to live and die throughout the game, and if you haven't already spoiled yourself on any of that, feel free to add your name and predictions to a row of the sheet! Whoever gets the most correct will get an avatar certificate! Better hurry, though; once I start posting free time events, this sheet will be locked and all bets are final. All best are now locked in! Sixteen people entered, and one will leave with a prize.

Where do I vote for who we spend Free Time with?
This is the most current poll, which also has spoilers so you know the drill. Arrange your choices in order of preference and you'll see if the rest of the thread agrees in due time. Free time is over forever.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

(This post is reserved for any cool stuff people post in the thread.)

Blueberry Pancakes demonstrates that someone out there shares my train of thought.

curiousCat reminds me that I haven't finished Tails Gets Trolled.

TwoPair concurs.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 21, 2020

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Come one, come all, and witness the latest in killing game entertainment: Danganronpa V3!

I am Solitair, and I'll be your host this evening.

Without further ado, let's kill Harmony Korine.

But first, the game notices I have a complete save from the demo. FPZero covered that during the Danganronpa 2 LP. Watch it if you like, but a lot of the dialogue in it comes straight from the prologue and I'm not interested in repeating it.

Not too shabby!

I got no complaints about the dub here, and plenty of compliments.

As always, Logic Difficulty controls how many wrong options you get for picking evidence, and Action Difficulty affects the minigames. Mean Action isn't even that hard most of the time, but Mean Logic tripped me up in several places when I first played.

:siren: VIDEO: Promo Movie :siren:

We begin with a highlight reel from previously LPed content.

Ah, memories. Stupid, stupid memories.

When the game first launched, this said "with" instead of "will," but it got fixed in a day one patch. I like this localization, but if I find any other typoes I'm transcribing them as-is.

The screen goes black.

Nothing. No light. No sound. No form. No voice. No knowledge of who I am. ...Who I am? Who am I? I extend a hand. A hand that belongs to no one. To take hold of my existence—

NEW MUSIC: REAL/FICTION

AUDIO: School Life from 0

My name is Kaede Akamatsu. I just remembered who I am.

I'm the protagonist of this crazy story.

NEW MUSIC: Rise of the Ultimates

I stumbled out of the locker in a daze. But as soon as I did... ...I fell on the floor.

Ahh!?

I couldn't even brace for impact as blinding pain suddenly rushed through my head.

One new feature I like is that you can now see your character's face in conversations.

But thanks to that pain, I went from dazed to annoyed real quick.

...Huh? Wait, where am I? What is this place?

I rubbed my throbbing forehead. Yep, this is definitely going to leave a bump... I looked around.

NEW MUSIC: Nightmare in the Locker

AUDIO: Invitation to Despair

Yeah, this is a classroom alright. But...l don't recognize it.

Where am I...? What am I doing here...?

So I pinched my cheek...

...but all that did was make my head hurt in two places instead of one.

Ummm... Okay, hold on a sec. Let's just stay calm and think this through.

Confused as I was, I tried to remember how I ended up here. But no matter how hard I tried, in the end I just couldn't—

Whoa!!!

Suddenly, the locker next to mine started swaying and shaking, making all kinds of noise.

Hnnng...

A normal boy dressed in a school uniform... In fact, he might be a high school student, too.

He screamed as if he'd just seen a monster, fell on his butt, and scooted back.

...What other guys?

The people who kidnapped me!

Kidnapped?

Wh-Where am I...? What are you gonna do to me!?

Hey! Hold on!

I firmly gripped his shoulders...

What's your name?

...Huh?

Ah, I'm...Shuichi Saihara.

I'm Kaede Akamatsu. Now listen to me, Shuichi...

Ah, sorry...

After making him shut up, I retraced my steps again.

I was kidnapped, too!

AUDIO: Kidnapping

I shouted for help, but no one came to rescue me... Everyone pretended like nothing happened... It made me think how rotten the world is... And then, I lost consciousness...

Same with me... Were we kidnapped by the same people?

It seems like it... But...why me? My family's not rich and I'm no one special. I'm just a normal high school girl. There's no reason to kidnap me...

Me either... I'm just a regular guy... And...this is a school, right? Why did they take us to a school?

I wonder why...

Well, I can't explain that, but I can give a basic explanation about the controls.
Use the L stick to control the reticle on the screen.
When you have a target in your sights, press the X button to investigate it.
The R stick controls your view. Get a good look at your surroundings.
You can also press the R1 button to smack objects around.
Who knows? You might find something amazing.
You can always press the L1 button to return objects to their original position, so relax.
However, not every object can be moved. Thank you for understanding.
If you press the TRIANGLE button, a mysterious investigative power will activate...
Sorry, I know this is a lot of information.
But if you forget anything, you can press the OPTIONS button to review the controls.
Investigate this place thoroughly! That's how you progress the story, y'know?

"Something amazing" is almost always just pocket change, but that poo poo adds up and it's fun to smack stuff around... when you can actually hit it. The hit detection on smackable objects is dodgy and often requires finagling with the camera angle. Doesn't stop me from redecorating every room I enter, though.

One venting session later...

...it's time to look around. Instead of putting circles over stuff you can look at, this game makes everything you can't transparent. I approve.

This blackboard is also an LCD screen. That's something you don't see every day...

Seriously though, what is it? It really seems out of place here.

But why were we in these lockers in the first place?

Why are the school windows covered in barbed wire?

Ah, no, it's okay... I shouldn't have yelled at you.

Anyway, this place is...weird. You don't think we got caught up in something bad, do you?

Something bad...

What's going on? What have we gotten ourselves into?

I don't understand this at all... But that doesn't matter! At least, for now...

Hey, let's just get out of here as fast as we can and find some help!

Y-Yeah... Good idea!

We ran as fast as we could to the classroom door, and opened it with all our strength...

But then—

NEW MUSIC: New Classmates of the Dead

AUDIO: Beginning of Despair

The lenses on this mecha flash red, and a siren blares when it sees our heroes.

What?

A m-monster!?

Gah-hahahaha! Woooo! Hahaha!

Th-This is bad! We need to get out of here!

O-Okay!

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, waaaaait!!!

The lenses flash again before—

Kaede! Over here!

Alright, time to haul rear end!

First we run down these stairs.

Another one? But it hasn't noticed us yet, so we should be good to go.

Never mind! We're outnumbered now!

Don't go that way! Over here!

Hold on, why stop here?

Ah, geez! What are those things!?

There's only one way to go now.

NO MUSIC

...something we never expected to see.

AUDIO: 15 Friends

FEMALE VOICE 1: Ohhh... More people have arrived.

KAEDE: Huh?

MALE VOICE 1: Did you all get chased by that monster, too!?

KAEDE: O-Oh, yeah...

MALE VOICE 2: What...are they? What do they want with us?

MALE VOICE 3: Do you want me to check on what's happening?

FEMALE VOICE 2: You can't! It's too dangerous out there!

MALE VOICE 4: It's likely that monster still lurks nearby...

KAEDE: W-Wait!

I shouted at the top of my lungs.

KAEDE: Who are you guys...? And why am I here—

MALE VOICE 5: And that makes 16.

KAEDE: What?

MALE VOICE 5: I'm talking about us. There are 16 of us—all high schoolers. What do you think that means?

16...high schoolers...?

MUSIC: Rise of the Ultimates

I can give you my name. It's Rantaro Amami.

Let's leave it at that for now.

Huh? Um...okay.

Nah, I think this is all of us. If this is what I think it is, anyway.

It was at that moment... An unknown voice suddenly echoed throughout the gym.

NO MUSIC

MALE VOICE 6: Okayyyyy, quiet everyone! Shimmy down, shimmy down!

FEMALE VOICE 3: No, no, no. It's "simmer down."

NEW MUSIC: EXISAL TRIBE

AUDIO: Despair Robot

FIVE VOICES: Kyahahahahaha! Thanks for bearing with us!

drat it! There are more monsters! We're surrounded!

These aren't monsters. They're Exisals.

They're highly mobile, bipedal weapons platforms.

Weapons!?

Should we take these for a spin by killin' one of 'em!?

It wouldn't be any fun picking on plain, good-for-nothing commoners!

You're right. We should at least think of an interesting way to kill you. Maybe I'll pick ya up and squeeze ya till your guts come gushin' out like toothpaste!

P-Please! Not like toothpaste!

Urgh... I just imagined it. I can't handle gore.

Then what if...we start peelin' off their limbs one by one, like string cheese?

Please, not like string cheese either!

Wait! We can't kill them with the Exisals. According to the schedule, the Exisals aren't supposed to show up till later!

But...we're in the Exisals right now.

We screwed up. We're not supposed to be in the Exisals for our first appearance.

I told ya we shoulda read the script!

...No, ya didn't.

Well...why don't we just get out of these mechs? It shouldn't be too late for that.

Y-Yeah! Let's do that! Okay, readyyyy!

:siren: VIDEO: The Monokubs Arrive :siren:

The Exisals' cockpits open...

...and these little guys fly out.

With our powers combined,

NEW MUSIC: Rise and Shine, Ursine! (Get used to hearing this track a lot.)

......Huh?

Kaede doesn't know what the gently caress.

Now we're not scary anymore, right? Right? Right!?

And he's just outright terrifying!

I'm a messenger from hell from the depths of hell, here to drag ya down to hell!

Eh? What's hellish mean?

H—Hey...what's up with these stuffed animals? How are they moving?

I-I have no idea.

Moving stuffed animals...

Moving stuffed animals? Monokubs?

Wait! You guys call yourselves...the Monokubs?

Oh... Don't bother askin' Monodam. He only talks to close friends. The years of abuse have really done a number on his heart. Isn't that right, Monodam?

M-Monodam! You won't even open your heart...to me!?

...Looks like I was right.

But who's behind all this? Why the ridiculous theatrics—

Gahhh! Shut up, you! All o' you are reactin' way too normally to this! It's boring!

Actually...don't their clothes seem kinda boring, too?

Wait a minute... Ya think maybe they haven't been given their first memory yet?

Huh? That shoulda happened before they woke up...

Hey, answer my question! If you guys are the Monokubs, then—

Huh?

We're just wondering...do youse guys have Ultimate talents or anything like that?

Ultimate talents...?

I...don't have one. I have a skill that I devote myself to...but I wouldn't call it an Ultimate talent...

M-Me either... I-I don't...have anything like that...

Y-Yeah...same here.

I knew it! They haven't gotten their first memory yet!

Monophanie...weren't you in charge of that?

She's sleeping? Did she seem really tired to you guys?

She's obviously fakin' it.

zzzzzzzzz...

Even if she's faking, she looks so peaceful. Let's whisper so we don't wake her up.

Hmph! If you say so!

A-Anyway...if you guys really are the Monokubs, then—

Don't worry about us. The real issue is youse bastards. Well, "issue" is putting it mildly... This is actually a huge problem. Youse all have forgotten your talents and become generic high school students.

Huh? Forgotten?

See, according to the backstory, there's this Ultimate Hunt goin' on. You've all lost your memories and become different people cuz of the Ultimate Hunt.

Umm...what are you talking about?

Well, in your current state, it's pretty much pointless to talk to you guys about this.

The first thing we need you guys to do is remember your true selves.

What the—!? Are you awake already?

How are we supposed to talk when you keep askin' so many friggin' questions!?

Yeah! We're not some swift-footed singer who's landed another future ex-boyfriend!

Let's do this already. No one wants to watch a bunch of generic high school whiners.

First, we'll update your wardrobe so you guys look all cute and spiffy!

:siren: VIDEO: The 16 Transform :siren:

The Exisals toss a bunch of outfits at everybody.

And then the magic happens! Despair prism power!

Only enough budget for one transformation scene, unfortunately. At least this one won't be reused as stock footage.

MUSIC: Rise and Shine, Ursine!

Mm-hm! Looking good! Now you look more like Ultimates.

Next up, the memory youse all been waiting for.

Hell yeah! Get ready! Once the seal is broken, we'll be in the domain of the killing game!

K-Killing game...?

Now then, after the Flashback Light helps you remember your amazing talents... This amazing story will begin for real this time!

The cubs say "So long, bearwell!" before...

:siren: VIDEO: Flashback Light :siren:

...this thing is pointed at the screen...

...and Kaede starts tripping.

There's some glitchy effects in the scene. It's not a problem with my recording setup (this time).

I've elected not to highlight the panty shot here. You're welcome.

Well, it's nice to see that these five are running a tight ship. Next time, I begin my long-awaited LP of Danganronpa V3.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 5, 2023

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I just finished this game the other day! I'll be watching with anticipation and minimal commentary, since this is a game that just needs to be experienced. It's not exactly a spoiler to say that the story in this Danganronpa game is off the loving chain, to a degree that exceeds even the previous entries.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yesssssssssssssssssssss. Rise and shine, ursine! :3:

DRV3 is my favourite of the DR games cause it's completely loving nuts. So excited to follow this LP. Will you be doing full videos of the trials like FPZero did?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Rarity posted:

DRV3 is my favourite of the DR games cause it's completely loving nuts. So excited to follow this LP. Will you be doing full videos of the trials like FPZero did?

It's stated in the OP that the LPer's going to be doing exactly that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rarity posted:

Wait, WAIT! How crazy is this game when this is completely loving nuts, but the two previous games are not? :stare:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ZeButler posted:

It's stated in the OP that the LPer's going to be doing exactly that.

:doh:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Looking forward to seeing this one,
By the way maybe it's just me but all the audio in the music links and videos seems to be really low, I can't really hear them.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
We're on the threshold of an amazing adventure. I'm ready for all the freak outs of each twist.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Torrannor posted:

Wait, WAIT! How crazy is this game when this is completely loving nuts, but the two previous games are not? :stare:

My thoughts exactly!

So glad to see an LP of this finally :neckbeard:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ground floor for this. I should probably read the UDG/D3 LP shouldn't I.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yesss, Yesssssssssss

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Ibblebibble posted:

Ground floor for this. I should probably read the UDG/D3 LP shouldn't I.

You don't, thankfully. It's stand alone.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
To be honest, nobody should experience Ultra Despair Girls

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Man, these games are so trashy but I like reading them just the same!

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Eeepies posted:

You don't, thankfully. It's stand alone.

That thread will, in fact, be helpful ... eventually. To a small degree.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hell yeah DRV3! This game is balls to the wall in so many ways and I love it. Can't wait to relive it in LP form!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BAN!

also those sound effects dont match up, worst game ever 2/10

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
A very good avatar choice, and I love Kaede so much. A protagonist with a personality.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

curiousCat posted:

A very good avatar choice, and I love Kaede so much. A protagonist with a personality.

Yeah, she's way better than Naegi and Hajime.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Throwing my hat that I've already beaten this but still really looking forward to the LP.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh, boy. I gotta admit, between the light novel, UDG and the anime (which I will elaborate more on in that thread), I thought this series, once so new and interesting and fun in its gross morbid way, was all sucked dry, a withered husk drained of all that I'd find innovative or good. I though those Doggone Ronpauls had nothing more to offer me.

And then this game came along. :allears:

I will very, very much be looking forward to this, to reliving the great moments and seeing everyone's reactions to them. And to that lovely young man in Solitair's avatar, probably my favorite character in probably my favorite DR game.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Item Getter posted:

Looking forward to seeing this one,
By the way maybe it's just me but all the audio in the music links and videos seems to be really low, I can't really hear them.

Dammit. I turned down the background music so that we could hear the voice acting better, and probably overdid it. I'll see what I can do about that.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

YESSSS
I'm glad someone has decided to LP this. It's easily the best DR story they have done.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

By the time I had the spare money to afford V3, a bunch of other great games came out so I havent actually had a chance to play this. I know a few of the things that happen over the course of the game, so seeing how those things string together and gain the overall context for them is going to be great.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Just like FPZero's DR2 LP, I'm excited to follow along here and watch the glorious reactions to this absolutely wild tale.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Just like FPZero's DR2 LP, I'm excited to follow along here and watch the glorious reactions to this absolutely wild tale.

Agreed. This game is WILD.

Also, top quality threat title, Pink Floyd is always a good choice.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Hella, DRV3 is so fuckin good. The whole series has a pretty solid aesthetic and philosophy of design, but I really enjoy how much polish went into this installment,. I think that's part of the reason why I think it's the best in the series. I remember reading in the Ultra Despair Girls LP that this game had the design thesis of "Psycho Cool", and I really like seeing the direction they took that throughout the UI and OST and whatnot.

Excited to see people's reaction to this!

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Ground floor! I love this series, and this is probably my favorite of the bunch. I can't wait to see the roller-coaster leap off the rails and into the audience on this wild ride. Also the OST is flat out AMAZING.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

This is the only Danganronpa that I've played rather than just seeing an LP and it was a heck of a trip. I'm looking forward to seeing people's reactions to a lot of the stuff in it!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Alright, I've now reuploaded everything so that the volume is at a more reasonable level. Thanks for bearing with me, and thanks to Item Getter for pointing out that issue. Next time, a real update.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, that's a weird opening.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, that's a weird opening.

Oooooohohoho.

You ain't seen NOTHING yet.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I really hope we still get some unspoiled reactions in this thread, seems like a lot of us went and played it already :ohdear:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

mycelia posted:

I really hope we still get some unspoiled reactions in this thread, seems like a lot of us went and played it already :ohdear:

I am unspoiled and ready to react so bad

I cannot loving wait to see what is crazy enough for y'all to think it can compete with, say, DR2 chapter 5 for instance

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Aw yeah, here we go. I was wondering when this was gonna happen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

mycelia posted:

I know some things, but 90% of the game is new territory.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I am psyched to see how crazy this train ride is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
From what I know of the plot, I anticipate very much getting mad at videogames in this thread.