Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Apparently Arizona not only used the name hotshots, but they are also the only AAF team to retire a number, because they retired #19 in honor of the Prescott 19.

My brother's a former hotshot, and I'm working in wildfire management, and I'm very upset to see perhaps the best team mascot in any sport to go away :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
^ I'm a former career ff as well so they had a special place in my heart :(

Chinatown posted:

im the typo red squiggly line

incompetence top to bottom

rest in absolute piss

I didn't even notice that lmao

They were just underscoring whose fault it was :smug:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

gently caress em up Manzo

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TJ_Spartan34/status/1113165925409226753

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
https://twitter.com/MikeBerco/status/1113270364102991872?s=19

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/aafAPOLLOS/status/1113272080106250241

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/aafexpress/status/1113088964108447751

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

wandler20 posted:

I bet this is really going to sour a lot of potential players for the XFL. I'm sure they'll get bodies but maybe not what they might've been able too.

I dont think so, players who would play for the XFL dont have many other options. They'll probably hop on any opportunity to showcase their skills, all in the hope that they'll get noticed by an NFL scout. Maybe XFL players will be more thrifty with their money, given the uncertainty surrounding any "minor league" football operation.

I'm kinda surprised that money was so hard to come by for this. Like yeah, $250 million is a poo poo ton of money but is there no billionaire that is a really big football fan? Nobody willing to put some money into this simply for the entertainment factor?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

I'm dying at this. And so is his brain.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

as long as he can remember the coffee orders hes taking he will be OK

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

I'm surprised he still has memories after that hit

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Meanwhile, at aaf.com

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/aafstallions/status/1113269644536688640

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
loving dammit

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

GD_American posted:

Meanwhile, at aaf.com

"Put away my phone, Brenda. I really need to buckle down and get a head start on Week 9. No internet, no distractions."

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I dont think so, players who would play for the XFL dont have many other options. They'll probably hop on any opportunity to showcase their skills, all in the hope that they'll get noticed by an NFL scout. Maybe XFL players will be more thrifty with their money, given the uncertainty surrounding any "minor league" football operation.

I'm kinda surprised that money was so hard to come by for this. Like yeah, $250 million is a poo poo ton of money but is there no billionaire that is a really big football fan? Nobody willing to put some money into this simply for the entertainment factor?

Ebersol himself said that the league would need 750 million to run for 6 years. I'm not sure there's a billionaire (outside of Vince McMahon) willing to spend that kind of money just to see some cool tackles when they could just buy an NHL team or the entire CFL and make money instead.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
This just sucks all around. It’s so lovely for the players and vendors for it to end this way. I wish they would have at least played out the full season. The playoffs could have really been cool.

At least we got to see Spurrier’s offense again. Goddamn did he design some beautiful plays this season.

Morby fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 3, 2019

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Morby posted:

This just sucks all around. It’s so lovely for the players and vendors for it to end this way. I wish they would have at least played out the full season. The playoffs could have really been cool.

At least we got to see Spurrier’s offense again. Goddamn did he design some beautiful plays this season.

Yeah. It's honestly hitting me a little harder than I thought. All these farewell tweets and thank you tweets is hitting me all in the feels :smith:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
This sucks

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Someone simulate the rest of the season in the AAF videogame.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Gonz posted:

Someone simulate the rest of the season in the AAF videogame.

I tried and it said "You have died of dysentery"

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Tried to workshop a bit about being a lifelong Apollos fan but honestly I’m really sad the AAF was a stupid sham. Spring football rules and the XFL will be for chuds.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ebersol himself said that the league would need 750 million to run for 6 years. I'm not sure there's a billionaire (outside of Vince McMahon) willing to spend that kind of money just to see some cool tackles when they could just buy an NHL team or the entire CFL and make money instead.

They really would need a group of people who feel disgruntled/shafted by the NFL to own some teams to make this work I think.

The AFL and (to a certain extent) USFL were both successful due to that. It's a tad bit risky because you could always turn around and see a San Antonio Gunslingers-esque horror story (watch "Small Potatoes") but it would really help to pump money into that thing for promotions, etc.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

4 weeks ago: 250 million is enough to last us for YEARS!

Today: 750 million would be a decent start

Seriously, gently caress that guy

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Wait do I get a refund on the rest of my season tickets

You can see a lacrosse team instead

https://twitter.com/SealsLax/status/1113247294118346753

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Hahaha The San Diego Lacrosse team also moved to LA?!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This is their first year in the league and they're already first in their division/they've already clinched playoffs, you gotta get in on this Ross this might be The One

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Spaced God posted:

sadly: shots shots shots shots shots shots.... any...body? :smith:

I gave it up for lent. :smith:

I'll say this for the AAF, it was definitely better put together than the UFL. Only makes it more surprising that they would just drop off the face of the Earth like this. The UFL figured out that you can go like an extra three seasons (steadily declining) without paying anybody.

Edit: Wait, you're not talking about drinking, are you?

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 3, 2019

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Turns out Dundon also gave up on the shots for Lent. Which is unfortunate given the dates of the AAF season vs those of Lent.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 3, 2019

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
All that's left for us to do it keep an eye out for the fire sale on AAF starter jackets.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I see and hear "Dundon" and all I can think of is this:

My brain is polluted

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

The AAF is DUN DON(E)!

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

ThePeavstenator posted:

All that's left for us to do it keep an eye out for the fire sale on AAF starter jackets.

Yo for real that or jerseys.

Need my Justin Thomas Legends jersey real bad.

E: already been marked down from 100 to 88!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Dicks has a bunch of Hot Shots stuff marked down 25%

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BenKercheval/status/1113480369196679174

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Snake Emoji x 1000

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/KENS5/status/1113433474059395072

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1113497690476896257

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

waah posted:

Snake Emoji x 1000

Negotiations broke down when the AAF insisted the XFL had to take the Atlanta Legends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Spaced God posted:

sadly: shots shots shots shots shots shots.... any...body? :smith:

lmao

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The problem with all these leagues is that the NFL is comprised of 30+ multi-billionaires. You can't compete with that much money with 1 or 2 people, it's impossible. AAF was hosed. XFL 2 is hosed.

It's not competing in the NFL though. A league like the AAF (but not run by chucklefucks and with a solid five year plan) could absolutely succeed. You saw how excited we and other people were for it, but they failed to capitalize on that at all and then sat around with their thumbs up their rear end and ran out of money