Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Leilani's idea of restoring Summerland's image being to make a sandcastle is amazing :allears:

Despite the obscene bullshit that this mission is, I actually like this game better than the second; that one just feels like it drags on forever at some points and even the padding missions (like this one) are incredibly long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Fun fact about that Bayleef, it actually first spawns when you go up to do the challenges in the ruins, and since the first game lets you engage in multiple wild Pokémon if they're close enough together, you can use the Electrike or a Lotad that's roaming at the other side of the cliff to catch the Bayleef early.

It's just a silly little thing, but something I remember doing pretty much every time I played the game.

Also, it's literally only these Magikarp that require 3 loops, any other Magikarp in the game only require 1.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

It was always weird to me that they bothered making a full location complete with a location tag for an area you only visit once for all of three seconds. Even when you return to the Safra Seafloor later it doesn't even count as this area and doesn't have this description.

Considering some other unused stuff in the game I can only assume you were originally supposed to explore this place yourself, as the in-between mission instead of the mechanic bullshit, which would make a little bit more sense for Magikarp and Gyarados (and why gyarados' sprite has his entire body shown and not just the above-water part). It would also be a million times less frustrating :v:

Polderjoch fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 23, 2019

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

oh god I can't imagine doing this with dark

the lengthened capture line doesn't help when steelix only makes those circles for really short amounts of time, the only way I caught it was by my length just barely being long enough to use the nearby medicham to only make it 5 loops

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

1234567890num posted:

But it seems to seek the company of people, and it often comes toddling into the town. Isn't it just the sweetest thing?

It sure is :3:
Awww, that's cute. :3:

One of the things I really like about the Ranger series is that it does a lot of characteization for the actual mons, which are usually completely ignored in the main series; it really handles characters a lot better, for however low that bar might be.

Also the Shiftry line being ridiculously easy for this point can only be taunting when its counterpart Ludicolo is such a massive pain in the rear end for how early in the game it is.
Alternatively, it's "fast" and all the fast mons (ninjask, etc) have low loop requirements to not be cancer to catch :v:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

That Vaporeon is the most annoying mon to capture in the series. Even with Plusle nothing else even comes close to being as irritating

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

1234567890num posted:

I personally think this one is still better than the second game, with the third one being the best. We'll talk about those games later.

:hmmyes:

Also I think it's time to check out that Kyogre.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Time to do the Capture Challenges.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

1234567890num posted:

It attacks with a boomerang. Both the originals and the clones can attack and they all move very quickly, so catching it is a huge pain in the rear end.

The worst part about this whole thing is that the rocks and fence don't respawn, so I could've gone out and grabbed a Fire or Fighting assist :sigh:

Or at least I think they don't. As far as I know from experimenting after the recording, the objects all respawn after completing the game but won't do it again for the rest of the game. Not including the mysteriously-replaced signs, of course.

I believe Absol's boomerang is actually the single most damaging attack in the game, which is uh something to point out.

Also from what I remember the objects *do* respawn, as I distinctly remember needing to clear that ice block a fair few times, though I don't remember if it respawns on beating Rayquaza, any of the trio, or if it only happens when you rematch the three beasts.

Also the Capture Challenge is fun, and the marine one was one of the only good bits of the entire nonsense surrounding Summerland :colbert:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

1234567890num posted:

It would be fun if you can actually use assists. It took me like 4 full sessions to get that Pelipper on an actual DS. Not to mention the pain when you manage to get Mantine/Wailmer/Psyduck to appear but then fail to catch them before time runs out so you have to catch the prerequisites again :argh:

Having all the Regis (and Snorlax) is also how I'd usually end my save file, so you're not alone there :v:

Honestly not having assists is kind of the entire draw personally, it's a neat little challenge area, the only real issue I have is that you're not given the option to keep a mon you caught in there or something.

I always ended my save file with those four, and I think Dugtrio, Absol, and that one Magikarp

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Manaphy had better be the last thing we do, so let's go do some more awesome and fun capture challenges.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Both first and last.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Playing tag sounds like fun.

Also speaking of that Torchic, there's actually a fair few mons with differing variants, the Magikarp in the capture challenge, the bridge in the mountain range, and in the Gyarados boss fight are all actually different. If I remember right, if this Torchic variant actually showed up outside of the Capture Arena it'd have a separate exp yield too.

The Capture Arena is just absolutely ridiculous though, especially since you don't even get to use Plusle in a pinch either. I don't think I ever got past Dragonite. Maybe I hit Flygon once but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

1234567890num posted:

Third run! These Tauros can be found on the south. Try baiting them so that we'll be dealing with only one of them.

It charges in a curved line. And you generally don't want to deal with more than one harging Pokemon at once.

I remember that this is actually distinctly not what you want, the Tauros stand still for something absurd like 2 or 3 seconds before charging when they see a line, so the easiest way to catch them and get an easy 3000 points is to just run into them immediately when they're clustered up and just immediately start circling them before they start moving around

Anyway great LP! Can't believe it's already over, with absolutely nothing left to do aside from catch 4 more mons