Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
In my dreams they'd add more fast travel points to BL1 also. It won't happen, but I'd replay the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Donovan Trip posted:

lol that tweet is extra petty since Pitchford is bitter at valve, he's just straight gloating he got to 3 first.

I'm okay with this. The only HL3 we got was the fanfic when the script writer left Valve.
Let the sass flow!

I was able to import my vanilla BL1 characters into Enhanced without first running the older version. They were sitting there from whenever I last played (was too lazy to check the save date).

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Now through the main quest and up to the (only I guess) DLC for Pre-Sequel.
Playing this game unmodded is not a good experience. It's not bad, but holy hell is this game poorly paced and with too much back and forth.

Probably not going to go full loot-splosion when we hit NG+/TVHM, but I may end up being much more liberal with the loot modifiers in the Community Pack and Better Loot Mod because of how criminally dull the base drops are.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
So you beat Pre-Sequel around L26 and the Claptastic Voyage DLC is L30+. Oddly the enemies are mostly just more glass cannons so it's not really a big deal, but it means all the lovely loot continues inching away from your grasp.

Also 2 hours of walking in circles and we're still on quest 2 of 5. For some reason a single "mission" involves walking across 3+ maps with different tilesets and enemy types and NPCs guiding you around each one :hmmyes:

E: Was Claptrap DLC? He's fun as gently caress to play.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
So the Claptastic DLC was turning into a slog because the loot was all 2 levels above us, making me suggest my buddy and I start up TVHM to grind us up to at least L30 so we could use the gear. What I thought would take 1 hour, took 2.5-3 hours of aimless wandering without enough combat. Par for the course.

The goofy part was the Red Belly fight. During the fight the boss is supposed to split into two separate entities that run/fly around beating your rear end. Instead the first time it glitched out the animation and the bigger of the two just fell over dead, but only I got XP for the death (18K, which leveled me to L31), had half the boss on ground, and the smaller guy just floating above him without a hitbox or AI attached.

We redid the fight, and I got another 15K XP for killing the big guy and 16K for killing the small guy. Friend did not get the extra XP for the glitch/desync.

In a day or two we'll finish the DLC, but with the loot mods this time. He's bored to tears of common grade handguns. So many loving handgun chests...

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I also finished the Claptastic DLC last night. Still some side quests to do for the hell of it, but otherwise I've run through the majority of the story content and maps at least once now.

TVHM is slightly more fun because you have a bunch of skills and elemental effects, but goddamn does the early game feel like a walking simulator more often than a loot shooter. Even with the drop rate modded up the rear end most of the gear drops were uninteresting somehow across normal and TVHM.

At least the last two story missions of Claptastic were pretty good for level design and writing. Unlike Chapter 1 which itself was 2-3 hours of crappy fetch quests over bottomless pits with lovely jump pads... so boring and empty.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I don't recall any fast travels in any of the three BL1 DLC when I played a few years ago.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
At the end of the Claptastic DLC Jack throws it out there that he hates Claptrap units and finally has the power to cease their production. So I don't think he's responsible for the revolution.

E: That's if anything related to TPS is canon actually. I swear this game disregarded any sort of timeline the first two games built up.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Sex Hobbit posted:

I tried that code on the enhanced version and it doesn’t seem to work.

It worked for me, but I had to manually type it in.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I didn't even realize PUG Borderlands was a thing. But them adding the option for instanced loot in BL3 totally makes sense if people are still pulling that poo poo.

As for the moba derail. Oh man do I love that gameplay loop, but oh man do I not miss those tilted motherfuckers (including me sometimes) making an engrossing experience a goddamn miserable waste of my time left on earth.

Anyway, TPS is barely scratching that looter-shooter itch, so I'll probably end up dusting off BL2 to run around Son of Crawmer-whatever-max finally. And trying to max level my Berserker in BL1 after that.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The TPS prologue starts after the BL2 epilogue, then the story does a flashback to a few years before BL2 where you finally get to control your character and not watch a cutscene.

BL2 first.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm the problem. I still enjoy Diablo-style skill trees.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I have to give TPS credit. It actually makes what few driving sections there are all entirely miserable. The terrain is just a bumpy mess that makes you lose traction and with weird geometry to bounce off of.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I took a Kreig up to OP1, maybe OP2, before I quit playing a yearish ago.

Digistruct Peak is bananas, but it was weird going back to the L50 raid bosses and laughing off the attacks as you murdered them in cold blood.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
All of the vending machines I'm encountering in TPS are white commons and the rare blue. What's this tall tale of legendary equipment?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Can you just hex-edit the EXE like I had to do with TPS? It only took a few minutes.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Lid posted:

My biggest desire is for loot to be more than a coloured line. I have protonopia colour blindness and even with that setting turned on its really hard to differentiate blues and purples or greens and oranges but more importantly is id like it to always have it show what slot it is at any distance rather than having to go through everything to see if that purp is a gun or shield or class mod.

:hfive:

I just want a game that let's me custom select the goddamn colors so I can tell them apart. Grim Dawn does a color cycling method where I can see things better, but apparently fire effects change color to green and other weird poo poo that makes me not want to use the option.

TPS trip report:
Even with the loot mod increasing drops, the game is still pretty dull because of the map design. However in TVHM around when you get to Jack's office (story mission 8), or maybe the mission before it, the game finally hits a rhythm of enemy density and experience that smooths out into a decent experience. We're both L44 Fragtraps, so odds are we'll hit 50, clear out the sub-quests, may or may not bother with the final boss, and uninstall.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Everyone wants your data, everyone has your data. What is your data? Last I heard it was a series of vague brush strokes like sex, age range, and a few likes and purchases to build a wider database about regions. Who knows if that's true anymore.
The privacy war is mostly lost against these behemoths.

Anyway, my only real beef with EGS is timed exclusives. But I'm cheap so it doesn't matter. Still gonna buy the game, but probably on Steam where the other 3+1 games are, and also debate my exodus to GOG (which won't happen sadly).

Since my buddy said he wasn't going to help me power-level new toons even for a few minutes in TPS, I started looking for XP gain mods instead and can't find any. Maybe character editors exist and I can just set them to L30 to play with their skill trees.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I prefer the grenades that leave an AoE on the ground for a few seconds, and attempt to use ones that the most repeated enemy in an area is weak against. None of the three games drop enough for that consistently, but it's what I strive for.

Also a few nights ago my buddy came across a gun that shot confetti.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm pretty sure Baroness also has a skill that procs of cold damage ticks. Oh, TPS, why are only your hero classes pretty drat cool?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The Handsome Box is on sale every 3-5 weeks, and only getting cheaper in tiny increments. Not much reason to avoid it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I actually forgot that Tannis was in BL1 until 2-3 days ago when I was doing the quest where you collect the echo logs detailing her going insane over the course of ~1 earth year on Pandora.

The other story bit that confused me was Scooter wanting revenge against a guy "that ruined my mom's girl parts". So either Moxxi's had some really bad relationships, or she wasn't his mother yet in BL1's script.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Didn't even realize they were called firework grenades. But those things are always a huge gamble to use anywhere near a ceiling. Their damage is absolutely insane for their level, but if you use it near any sort overhang that it could bounce off of, it instantly become playing Russian Roulette with 5 of 6 chambers loaded.

And using it outside means you throw it directly at your targets head or watch it fly away and make a tiny puff in the sky.

Goddamn do I want to abandon TPS now and just play more BL2.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Were these challenges always in BL1? They're basically the same as the badass points, but just give an XP bonus to the one save slot.

I just don't recall them.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I enjoyed the DLC :shrug:

Consensus: none

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's the boring level design. Feels like mostly empty rooms with tons of ankle-high poo poo you can't just walk over.

E:

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Playing through them chronologically, first time playing TPS.

It's not bad but there's definitely something off about it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Wasn't it with The Sims 2 that they started selling little $2-$7 cosmetic packs of paintings, furniture, and poo poo?

Friend of mine who worked on one or two of the games said the profit margins were disgusting for whichever it was.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm pretty sure a few of the sidequests in TPS were also poor copies of BL2 missions. Only, like you said, without any pizzazz.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Nearing the end of TVHM and my buddy and I's double-Claptrap run. I'm 2 levels from pirate ship, he's already got it, and it's generally going fine. though neither of us have any points in the far-right tree yet and we're both L46.

Vaulthunter.exe is fine and funny.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've hit a really bad spot in BL1.

Playing a character that only completed normal+DLC a year or two ago and now hitting bumpy roads in TVHM. I'm out-leveling all of the enemies, but I'm not getting any good gear so my only real damage is punching fists of awesome with 30 seconds of downtime between uses.

:sigh:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
:shrug: If somehow someone here doesn't have BL1 enhanced yet, it's $7 at Amazon :shrug:

It's a little brown, but it's still decent. Also don't accidentally get the older GotY/not-enhanced, it's also $7.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Fine with me. It starts ticking when applied, now switch and spray like it was still slag.

Slag 1.2!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Vanrushal posted:

Did you know that right after you kill the Destroyer you can get downed by who knows what and bleed out and it cancels Angel's cutscene, rolls the credits, and charges you for a respawn when you get back in the game? I didn't, but I found out 10 minutes ago. Thanks Gearbox! :v:

My buddy and I were both incapacitated against Zarpadon last night in TPS. We won the race against her last few pixels of HP and her death cinematic played. Now it fades out of that to black and back into the game, and likely the instant the fade in finished, it faded back out and I died. He had clearly gotten the kill without announcement, and I was neither revived nor given extra time to be revived.

:suicide:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Buddy and I went through the last 2-3 story missions for TVHM in TPS. The amount of enemies seems to be 2x-3x what was there in normal and we kept running out of ammo and spamming pirate ships. But the studio was so proud of their cold element addition that the crappy cold legendary laser I picked up in the penultimate level loving steamrolled to the end of the game. Not much resistance to be had when everything freezes solid (including the final mid-boss) or takes disgusting amounts of damage from cold (final boss' final form).

We're both L50, have probably 2-3 sidequests left, and are completely over the vast emptiness and lack of vehicles in this game. Fragtrap is still hilariously fun though.

Mind you this positive-sounding commentary required a second run, the community patch tuned quite aggressively, AND a loot drop mod to smooth out this game.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Dyz posted:

Add more elite/badass enemies to encounters too, so you're facing tougher enemies but not bullet sponges.

When I think of badass, chubby, etc., I think "bullet sponge that hits a bit harder."

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm not sure this franchise has ever had quality AI as part of it. It's sort of like Unreal (Or Halo with the floaty jumps actually) hastily duct taped on top of Diablo 2 and with just enough spray paint to hide the seams and make me addicted to it.

The ARPG aspects are the same reason you can try to do it underleveled in Nioh or just grind for loot and levels so you walk up and punch them in the face with the force of a thousand-thousand suns.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Finished TPS TVHM and all side-missions for the achievement, which included doing the raid boss 2-man for 25 or 40 minutes.

If you don't have someone to shoot the poo poo with, don't bother. Even then you shouldn't bother. Claptrap/Fragtrap is fun though and deserves to be a class again however.

:hfive:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I didn't realize there was new narration in TPS on TVHM. We'd skipped a ton of the side missions on normal out of frustration so I thought all of the new dialogue was stuff we'd missed.

And, yup, the raid boss is just the final story boss with tons more HP and L52. At L50 we got stomped, at L51 we squeaked through a win. I think the first form was way more aggressive than normal, but the the back half wasn't, leaving us mostly monitoring our HP and using Vault_Hunter.exe to regen out of tough situations. Also lots of high fives so we could ignore the electric floor. Wasn't easy, but mainly just took 30+ minutes of holding mouse1.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Spent close to an hour in solo TPS UVHM:

-Deadlift is a jumping side of beef that hits too hard and takes too much damage. Can't do more than like 20% damage to his shields before the AI just charges me down and ends me.
-This is even more boring and tedious somehow.

I think I'll use the save editor to crank one of each class to L50 and mess around, but this one's shelved forever. I enjoyed Kreig into the OP levels, but the design flaws in TPS just get more pronounced with each difficulty increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Oh man, I'm getting my rear end in a top hat torn to shreds in BL1 right now. It's the mission where you have to shut down 4 smoke signals while armored lancer guys swarm and murder you from behind an entire level of waist-high walls to hide behind. I honestly don't recall this many enemies just spawning around you and murdering you from behind.

But it's TVHM, so maybe the spawn rate is higher. Which would just mean a mission I think is poo poo is made even shittier.