Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

LividLiquid posted:

I tried watching the pilot of the IT Crowd, found it terribly unfunny, and now Glinner is trying as hard as he can to make my life worse, so I likely never will, but by all accounts Berry was loving fantastic in it, yeah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP7LHHR91lE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

moosferatu posted:

The show is middling, but still delivers a solid dose of quality Berry content.
For me, Berry works best in an ensemble. Toast does have an amazing cast, but Berry is chewing scenery in nearly every scene and it seems exhausting to me.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
If you want super obscure but still amazing Berry seek out

1) Matt Berry Does (on YouTube)
2) House of Fools (by Vic and Bob - no idea how this will translate, but I love it/them)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Check out Year of the Rabbit for top tier Berry action.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Heck I even enjoyed his appearance on Community, even if the episode itself was merely okay.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

2) House of Fools (by Vic and Bob - no idea how this will translate, but I love it/them)

Christ I’d forgotten all about this. One of the main character is called Beef and each characters entranced is followed by them singing (presumably ad-libbing) their own entrance song.

It’s like someone watched Toast of London and thought “this is too calm and grounded”.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, you've tempted me.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Or you know, you could go the whole hog and listen to his entire back catalog of acid jazz albums?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSkODv3jjME

toggle fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 24, 2023

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
My favorite part of Toast of London is probably the music https://youtu.be/F8oi6Q1oe08?si=xCsgBbqaYy4JaRGu

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

moosferatu posted:

I watched Toast recently and then downloaded Snuff Box, which I haven't watched since it aired. I remember being a little disappointed by it, but haven't gotten around to rewatching it yet. Rich Fulcher is awesome too.

Snuff Box is great, but I can see why it wouldn't be for some people.

WHISKEY!

Ardship of Cambry
Oct 22, 2008
Snuff Box is very hit or miss, but the hits are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4sdTSjPcZ0

Ardship of Cambry fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 25, 2023

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"I could've been a sailor but the hat didn't fit" is one of those lines in a comedy song, like "something's waiting in the bushes of love", that carries way more poignancy than it probably should.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

AD/BC: A Rock Opera is also excellent Berry content in spite of Glinner showing up for 5 seconds, and it’s an appropriate watch for today!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cheesus posted:

For me, Berry works best in an ensemble. Toast does have an amazing cast, but Berry is chewing scenery in nearly every scene and it seems exhausting to me.

Isn't that a major part of being a Matt Berry fan? Watching him chew scenery?

I love it, anyway.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He's really, really, really good at it.

That's more difficult than it sounds, too. People think it's just overacting, but there's a line where it becomes really irritating and he walks up to it, does a dramatic flourish, then tapdances backward away from it while pronouncing something weird.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

He’s a very interesting guy. His on-screen persona is so radically different from his musical endeavors or just from when he’s giving interviews. You expect him to explode and be flamboyant but he’s this soft-spoken dude, and his music, while sometime dipping into humoresque, is genuinely it’s own thing that has nothing to do with Matt Berry the scenery chewer.

Kayvan Novak is a total sweetheart in every interview, I have to say. In his cases, it shines through his character in Shadows - Nandor is supposed to be this warrior vampire but he always turns out to be a big softie.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pretty sure Nandor is explicitly written to be a softie

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Excuse me but I’m pretty sure he was written to never relent. Relentless, you could say.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

moosferatu posted:

The audiobook, Toast on Toast, is fantastic. It's of course read by Berry in character, and it caused me get a lot of weird looks at the store when I started losing my poo poo in the register line.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The audiobook, Toast on Toast, is fantastic. It's of course read by Berry in character, and it caused me get a lot of weird looks at the store when I started losing my poo poo in the register line.

My favorite part is when Toast accidentally stumbles on a vast conspiracy among actors about Shakespeare and just doesn't really care or notice.

Also when he reveals he is constantly being scammed by his agent, including the current book he's doing right now.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

This was probably my favorite joke of season 5, it broke me for a second lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

jisforjosh posted:

This was probably my favorite joke of season 5, it broke me for a second lol

I like to think that gag had been sitting around the writers room for ages, just waiting for the perfect moment to be used.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That sounds amazing. I'll check it out. Has he done any other audio books?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

muscles like this! posted:

My favorite part is when Toast accidentally stumbles on a vast conspiracy among actors about Shakespeare and just doesn't really care or notice.

Also when he reveals he is constantly being scammed by his agent, including the current book he's doing right now.

My favourite running joke is how the BBC never offers him car service, so instead he always lists whatever buses he takes to the locations and back, and how it's always raining both ways.

The part that caused me to lose my poo poo was the charity show press conference with Prince Andrew.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Oasx posted:

My favorite part of Toast of London is probably the music https://youtu.be/F8oi6Q1oe08?si=xCsgBbqaYy4JaRGu

I still haven't gotten tired of the soundbooth bits, especially this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USEUcO1PKwU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

.Z. posted:

I still haven't gotten tired of the soundbooth bits, especially this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USEUcO1PKwU

fun fact: the other soundbooth guy plays Gale in Baldur's Gate 3

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZDjWLwqAPY

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Oh wow the whole 30 minutes are on youtube, A+ recommended holiday watching

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JS1eTb6smNM

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

This is legit one of the best sight gags of the entire show. I still think about it and laugh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLnjOJjycjU
A YTP made out of a Matt Barry commercial.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Happy Superb Owl day everyone. Time for a mini marathon before game time.

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Hughlander posted:

Happy Superb Owl day everyone. Time for a mini marathon before game time.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/09/us/superb-owl-meme-super-bowl-scn/index.html

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/22/nyregion/st-patricks-day-parade-lgbtq.html

Sean's election parade is happening in real life

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
SEANIE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For those who can't be bothered to CTRL-A/CTRL-C/CTRL-V to be allowed to read that article:

The New York Times posted:

A New, Gay-Friendly St. Patrick’s Day Parade Is Coming to Staten Island

Mayor Eric Adams, who had boycotted the existing parade over its exclusion of L.G.B.T.Q. groups, announced that the borough would hold a second parade, without that prohibition, this year.

By Liam Stack
Feb. 22, 2024

This year, for the first time, Staten Island will host a St. Patrick’s Day parade that allows L.G.B.T.Q. delegations to participate, a move that brings to a close a yearslong dispute between gay groups and parade organizers across the city over who can join in public celebrations of the patron saint of both Ireland and Catholic New York.

The original Staten Island parade has been the last holdout in a culture-war conflict that, for many New Yorkers, has felt settled for a decade.

The ban on L.G.B.T.Q. groups in the New York City St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Manhattan was lifted in 2014. But organizers of the parade on Staten Island have insisted that gay groups do not belong at an event for a Catholic saint. That led to years of bitter debates and boycotts.

To resolve that discord, Mayor Eric Adams’s office on Thursday announced that the city’s least populous and most conservative borough would now be home to two St. Patrick’s Day parades: the existing parade, held on March 2, and a new parade open to L.G.B.T.Q. groups that will be held on March 17.

Kayla Mamelak, a spokeswoman for the mayor, said the Adams administration believed that “celebrations in our city should be welcoming and inclusive.”

Ms. Mamelak said the new parade would be organized by the Staten Island Business Outreach Center, a nonprofit community development organization. Mr. Adams will attend the new St. Patrick’s Day parade, his office said.

YASSSSS, SEAAANNNNNN!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Honestly for all his faults the world would be a better place if there were more Seans around.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

For those who can't be bothered to CTRL-A/CTRL-C/CTRL-V to be allowed to read that article:

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

YASSSSS, SEAAANNNNNN!

drat those Catholics burned their own religion pretty hard. Can't be associating a Catholic Saint with anything positive like celebrating life or being happy to exist.