Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is there a joke in the poll?
This poll is closed.
Nope 12 8.16%
Nothing 10 6.80%
Sorry 18 12.24%
Bowsette 107 72.79%
Total: 147 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

To continue on the Luck stat question from last thread, surprised nobody mentioned SotN, which explicitly has a mode that tanks your other stats for Luck. (and luck mode, imo, is the best way to play the game).

Also, my power went out so I was stuck for awhile. Played a bunch of Startropics on the Switch NES Arcade or w/e, and that game is terrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

did anyone else play Absolver? it is like my favorite game that is not great and nobody plays.

It has such cool art, great music, and the animations are hands down the best martial arts stuff of any game I’ve ever seen, made better by the fact that they actually matter, a LOT. You can design your own style, and getting decent flow and coverage is essential. Like, I can’t think of a game that does martial arts as well, including actual fighting games.

It can be hard, and the content is ultimately PVP at the end (PvE runs out pretty quickly), and designing your own fighting styles can actually be realll, really hard. But it is also a game where when you are nailing it, you feel like a psychic god.

I guess the best description is like... Wuxia Dark Souls For Honor

like it has flaws, but i would love to see an Absolver 2 someday, or a game heavily inspired by Absolver.

I am utterly enchanted by the game still, despite not playing it that much.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 2, 2019

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

add lttp randomizer to switch and i will pay like $150 for that

tbh, with as many amazing randomizers for classic titles are out there, I'm waiting to see which major developer will be the first to repackage something from their back catalog with a randomizer.

Like, different games vary in quality for randomizer, but Free Enterprise for FFIV, and LTTP, Super Metroid, or even LTTP + Super Metroid randomizer are works of art, and honestly amazing.

I mean, it's not that I'm asking for companies to monetize the free experience of randomizers, but on the other hand, I would kill for Switch access to that stuff.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

me: alright, some free time, time to read, or watch a neat movie, or hey, it’s 2019 and there are dozens of cool multiplayer or recently released video games I could play
my brain: hey
me: oh no
my brain: you have two choices, sit here and do nothing
me: or what
my brain:

so anyway, that's what my brain is doing

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

id really like to get into granblue fantasy because i love the artwork and character designs, and it is really cool to look at, but at the same time, it seems massive and im still not entirely clear on what the game actually is

but i love the artwork... Makes me want to play FFT some more

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I know I'm digging deep when looking for VtM:R mods, because this mod warns that the download size might be an issue... 30mb...

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

In Legend of Dragoon, if you're really getting bogged down by combat, or getting tired of the timing presses, there's an accessory at a market town somewhere in the first half of the game that's pretty expensive but called like Wargod's Belt (or something, it has been like two decades), that'll make you auto-succeed all the button presses.

I'm not saying it's the best way to play the game, and is certainly very lazy, but like, it helped me power through the game to learn about the cool story of MELBU FRAHMA.

I actually really loved that game, and still have music from it in my library.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I've been slowly playing through the FF franchise for a lark, mostly doing 100% stuff, filling out all the bestiary and doing any content, and I'm up to FF5!

Should I do it 100% or do some sort of Job Fiesta challenge, help me out thread!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Barudak posted:

Have you ever played FFV before? If no theres no reason to do a Job Fiesta challenge. If you have, theres pretty much no reason not to do a job challenge run.

If you plan to do the postgame content youll need to drop your fiesta group.

Oh yeah, I've played through it a couple of times and done a job fiesta before, but it's been awhile. I just can't decide which I'd have more fun with and I'm rapidly approaching the wind crystal this very second!!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Wind Job: Thief
Water Job: Summoner
Fire Job: Ninja
Earth Job: Dancer
This may have been a mistake

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Ahaha, I underprepared and I couldn't do more than 0 damage to Undead siren with attacks so I had to use potions on her to deal 50 damage a pop, she died with my very last potion

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Anno 1800 coming out soon, and it has FIRST PERSON VIEW where you can run around your horribly designed settlement https://www.reddit.com/r/anno/comments/bd3lbw/walking_the_streets_first_person_view_footage/

Besides that, I'm playing FFT: WotL on my tablet, Order of Ecclesia Randomizer, FFV Fiesta Run, and as always, Dota 2.

that is my game plate atm

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

For ‘what game do you want a Fighting Game of’:

Hollow Knight - a lot of the spritework and artstyle is mega cute, and a lot of the animations of some of the combatants are already really fighting game looking. Grimm/NKG’s moves are already like a dragonpunch, divekick, etc.

For my Three Games You Like More:

FFX - I honestly think Spira has some of the tightest narrative theming and best writing of the franchise - there’s a lot of really cool stuff about cycles, traditions and institutional power. Spira also has a really neat fashion style.

Tidus and Yuna’s romance plot is one of the most developed of the franchise too - much more than a ‘this one is the boy, this one is the girl, duh! obviously romance!’, there’s a lot of really cool stuff done because of the fact that literally everyone knows Yuna is going to die, and they are all helping her towards her death - except Tidus knows nothing about that, and has been helping her along. And it all culminates in that nifty little scene in the Macalania woods where Yuna has hit rock bottom and everything is falling apart.

(Actually, a lot of the game works a little differently if you take Yuna as the protagonist and Tidus as her Manic Pixie Dream Guy.)

And here’s the part where my appreciation really gets unconventional: Blitzball is actually really cool, and I enjoy it a lot. Drafting a cool team with cool looking players is fun. Also the way the stats scale changes dramatically as the entire league levels, and the game becomes really really different. It hits a cool stride around level 25+ish, where abilities become super important, status effects are really important, and your player choices matter a lot. If you make it to level 90+, the Kilika Beasts become ungodly powerful because of the way their stat growth works, and it’s just a cool game with a lot of depth that people don’t appreciate!!!

ANYWAY - Sleeping Dogs is really amazing and I think one of the best games of that genre I 100%’d that game like 3 times (twice in the normal version and again for HD Edition), and I still love the city, the driving, the radio, the characters, the story, the gameplay. I was the #1 ranked player in the Triad Wars (multiplayer Sleeping Dogs spinoff thing) closed beta for awhile, despite the game not being great, because I’d just fiend that game.

3rd would probably be like... Dota?

I’ve played Dota for well over a decade, put thousands of hours into it, and it has charged me nothing. And to this day, I still learn and get better, and I never play the same game twice. No other game has come close to the depth and replayability, and yet getting anyone to speak fondly about it is incredibly hard.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Hey also i realize my posts are really long im sorry i just get rambly
Sorry everyone i just have words coming out of me :(

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Rarity posted:

This isn't a valid choice because everyone knows FFX is great

tbh, in the past, like 95% of the time it gets brought up, people just link the laugh scene or complain about blitzball, and more lately, its kinda overshadowed by the “FF8/FF9 was the best one” meme, or lost amidst the newer ones, or maybe it just seems that way to me!

e: yeah, or the people who do like it often like FFX-2 even more!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

i’ll go so hard on FFXIV if they add blitzball, i feel like at some point they have to? they have an orbonne monastery raid

i will drop real money to be a cool miqote blitzball ace

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I kinda missed the whole YIIK thing but I saw some clips and read about the bad stuff, so like, okay, it’s definitely mega bad.

But what I can’t figure out is why it was so talked about? Like, there’s a lot of doofy MS Paint webcomics out there that are bad and novody reads, or rpg maker games that are bad. And nobody talks about them because they’re bad and everyone moves on

But with the YIIK thing I feel like I missed some of the build up, because I see tons of people talking about it seriously like a Real Game, and how they had high hopes, or were disappointed, etc.

I guess what I’m saying is I’m confused what the buildup or story around the game coming about was? There is context I think I missed and all I saw was the reaction.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

thank you everyone for teaching me about YIIK, good thread~

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Shindragon posted:

The sad thing is after that Sleeping Dogs MMO bomb? Probaby closed down.

edit:

Oh.. I was right. Around 2016 the studio was shut down.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/10/17/13311832/united-front-games-closure-sleeping-dogs-smash-and-grab

Yeah, I actually played a lot of Triad Wars (the game you're referring to.)

It was basically the game of Sleeping Dogs - the city, the citizens, the cars, except you're playing a (very very limited*) create-a-character, with a sort of clicker/farmville thing where you'd build a base with like, a chop shop, or criminal enterprises. For instance, you might have a factory making knock-off electronics or fashion, then a night-market where you can fence those goods and turn them into cash, etc.

The cool thing about this was that those businesses or factories or whatever you built, those were actual buildings inside your base, filled with npcs and your gang members and stuff. Kinda neat.

The game was asynchronous and you didn't interact directly with other players, but what you'd do is raid THEIR bases and like, steal goods they'd produced but hadn't laundered yet, or cash they hadn't picked up after laundering yet. Raiding their base was basically like tearing through a set piece in Sleeping Dogs, you just bust in there, and there's a bunch of gang members hanging out at each business, like the gambling den. You clear your way to the penthouse or apartment or w/e where their PC is waiting as an NPC along with a gang.

You take out their gang, probably with gunplay, and fight their PC which was usually safest to do hand to hand. The fighting was a bit more involved than Sleeping Dogs base game, more like the Zodiac Tournament DLC stuff.

Other than that, there were also missions you could do to get more cash, or to acquire goods you needed for some reason but didn't produce yourself (like a mission of hijacking some electronics in a truck on the highway). There was stuff you could do to make raiding your base harder, etc. Like it was really really a huge slog when raiding some guy who had the best thugs with weapons and fast grapplers and stuff.

For the most part, most NPCs would pull out guns when you had a gun, but wouldn't if you didn't, I don't think? Forgot exactly how that mechanic worked.

It was a really pretty basic gameplay loop, but I found it pretty fun. I was the #1 player for one phase of the beta, and #5 or 6 along with another SA poster for another phase.

I feel like, it could have done with a LOT more character customization, as dressing up your gangster was pretty cool, especially since other players see your gangster when they raid your base. I also really wanted lady gangsters and pushed on the devs a bit during the alpha, they were kind of non-committal "We're thinking about it", oh well!

Also, I feel like the concept could have been knocked out of the park with some more customization of your gang. But the game is actually just the entire base game of Sleeping Dogs' open world where you seamlessly walk into/drive into enemy bases that are at a few different possible locations around the city. So it feels like you could do so much with just enriching that part of the game.

And, as a personal thing, I always thought Mordor's nemesis/orc captain system is perfect for a Triad game, basically generating Red Poles and Blue Lanterns and stuff like, New Shoes Zi, gangster who wears nice shoes, idk.
So basically, do Mordor 2's fort raiding system with Sleeping Dogs open world and gangsters, and it would own.

I have a few junk screenshots, dunno what happened to my good ones:

"It's me, Definitely Not Wei Shen."

e: tl;dr: my point is, pour one out for UGO who got roped into making farmville triads and it never got out the door.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 24, 2019

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Also, there was some stuff about your fighting style where you could kinda pick and choose which upgrades you took which mixed up your attack string and made fighting a bit different than just 'Model Swapped Wei Shen', but that wasn't fully developed. Still, seemed like a cool idea.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

ah, he’s on to me!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I played about ten minutes of the Octopath demo, the font is too small for my old man eyes

just take a guess what any of the dialogue is and you'll probably be right

I wanted to love that game a bunch for it's classic jrpg stuff and the neat little battle systems and such, but oh my god, not having any of the characters really talk to each other, or say or do anything especially interesting ever, is a really bold choice that doesn't pay off.

For some reason I don't remember it bothering me when playing SaGa Frontier but I feel like they may have done a better job with... all of the story stuff. Octopath is just so... Like, it's not bad. Just so boring, and nothing surprising or terribly interesting ever happens, bleugh.

The music is fantastic at certain points though, and they do a lot of cool things with music transitions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tq9G01292A

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhGiN9kkTqQ

its a national holiday

like and retweet if ur one of the few americans who refuses to forget the sacrifice made by president george sears

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

mr. hedgehog id like to talk to you about the smash brothers initiative