Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

Marvel keeps its total takeover of all media going with the return of the surprisingly great Cloak and Dagger on Freeform. Last season, we got origin stories, saw the good guys kill a bunch of innocent people who were under evil gas control, and eventually watched as they stopped the evil from spreading and giving the heroes justifiable cause to murder the entirety of New Orleans. This season, we look at the fallout of the evil crazy gas, as pretty much the only good cop in New Orleans last season got a spritz (and also shot and thrown into a swamp after her friend/boyfriend(?) got literally fridged, she didn't have a particularly good stretch there), and now she's looking to bring the baddies to justice with slightly more brutality than police usually bring. Also there's supposed to be a sex trafficking storyline running through this season, so hey maybe we'll get a Robert Kraft appearance!

Thursdays at 8!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
The soundtrack to this show continues to be very good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If they're going to keep up the vigilante game Ty and Tandy should invest in masks and gloves.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Kamehameha achieved!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I was not expecting that reveal of Mayhem's identity, I'll admit it, the show got me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So what if we.......squished them together really hard.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
It occurs to me that this right here is the whole solution to the Thanos problem.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

So what if we.......squished them together really hard.
After tonight, my suggestion still stands

Honestly I don't know what else to say about a show that is so overall Good all the time. I like how few reservations that the dynamic duo had about straight up leaping into this sex trafficking situation despite the fact that it all got kinda dropped on them overnight; there was no "Oh let's leave this up to the cops" or "What if we're getting in over our heads, we're just kids" nonsense, it's just flat-out plans A, B, and C being "Let's go be heroes."

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

BrianWilly posted:

Honestly I don't know what else to say about a show that is so overall Good all the time. I like how few reservations that the dynamic duo had about straight up leaping into this sex trafficking situation despite the fact that it all got kinda dropped on them overnight; there was no "Oh let's leave this up to the cops" or "What if we're getting in over our heads, we're just kids" nonsense, it's just flat-out plans A, B, and C being "Let's go be heroes."

And when they do go be heroes it turns out they are kids in over their heads after all with cool but not yet properly understood powers. Cloak is one punch or bullet from an unexpected direction away from getting caught and beaten to poo poo while Dagger's arsenal is is slowly growing but still limited to lethal light daggers and blinding flashes. The real power here is Cloak being able to flee from danger.

I do hope Mayhem gets back. She reminds me of Aida from Shield except we get the nice and mean version of her at once.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Two thoughts:
1. I yelped when Ty went full on comic book Cloak at the end of the episode
2. I love how the show is keeping the dream of Netflix Marvel alive. The business with the playing cards was something Ben Urich taught Karen in the first season of Daredevil.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Finally got around to watching this week's ep, the full blown Cloak at the end looked way better than I would have expected from a Freeform show and him just devouring Mayhem into the darkness was rad as hell. It says something that the past two weeks have ended on notes that I had no loving clue were going to happen, this show is GOOD.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

That was quite the cover of Hit Me Baby, One More Time...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm always so impressed with how...well-rounded all the characters on this show are. I'm probably hyperbolizing, but I can't think of any other TV show nowadays with characters as three-dimensional and complex as the ones here. Even the characters on shows that I'd ordinarily praise for their great character work can sometimes come across like cartoon characters compared to Ty and Tandy and their motley crew.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

BrianWilly posted:

I'm always so impressed with how...well-rounded all the characters on this show are. I'm probably hyperbolizing, but I can't think of any other TV show nowadays with characters as three-dimensional and complex as the ones here. Even the characters on shows that I'd ordinarily praise for their great character work can sometimes come across like cartoon characters compared to Ty and Tandy and their motley crew.

I think it's kind of weird these characters have these weird heart to heart moments where they exposition dump their inner most feelings but it's a nice contrast to shows where characters just keep doing things and they never explain what they feel about them outside of a 'blink and you'll miss it' scene.

I like the season second a bit better than the first so far, but it's not really capitalizing on the world they built in the first season. The plot feels like it's moving along at a faster pace though so that's good.

Mayhem is cool and I like how even without her aggression and hate Brigid is still a badass.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm in the UK and up to episode 4, is that what people are up to in the US?

I've not really got much to add except that I really liked the Mayhem twist. Also, considering this show's set in New Orleans and Disney got the X-Men rights back, I really want the Thieves Guild to show up sometime, even if it is Gambitless.

Also Tyrone & Tandy should kiss. :colbert:

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

First the kamehameha, now a solar flare, Tandy's been watching way too much Dragon Ball lately...

Next week looks like it'll be fun, as we get Tandy's Drugged Up Adventures where maybe she'll imagine a world where the television side of Marvel is acknowledged by the movie side!

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Good twist at the end of the episode, I thought.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh no, Tandy! :ohdear:

Metalshark posted:

Good twist at the end of the episode, I thought.

yeah, it seemed like Tandy's Farmer & The Viper story was about Connors being the viper & betraying Tyrone, but it turns out he was probably on the level (presumably his uncle moved the Monopoly file after he went missing in case he'd been kidnapped for information), while it turns out that the social worker was actually the viper.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Is there anyone trustworthy looking out for the underprivileged?

e: I call bullshit that Tandy would give up like that, but whatever

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 3, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh no, Tandy! :ohdear:

yeah, it seemed like Tandy's Farmer & The Viper story was about Connors being the viper & betraying Tyrone, but it turns out he was probably on the level (presumably his uncle moved the Monopoly file after he went missing in case he'd been kidnapped for information), while it turns out that the social worker was actually the viper.

apropos of nothing but I am well chuffed at your avatar

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Is there anyone trustworthy looking out for the underprivileged?

e: I call bullshit that Tandy would give up like that, but whatever
Tyrone & Tandy, obviously.

Also, oh no, Tandy! :ohdear: again.

Thankfully Tyrone looks like he's riding to the rescue next episode, but I don't know if I can wait a whole week for the resolution. I hope Tyrone manages to no-sell the mindfuckery, because he's already lost everything twice over (losing Billy, being forced to go on the run) and he just keeps getting back up. Whereas yeah, Tandy's been through the wringer as well, but she was on a real upswing before poo poo kicked off in S2, so I can see her being more vulnerable to it. Also her powers run on hope, so there's that too. Seems like from the trailer she's not totally given up on fighting back, though. I'm guessing basically the moment they meet up again her powers will come back.

I wonder what this means for the Connors plot, though. Is he just gonna get stuffed in a closet till Tandy's rescued? Not that I'm complaining.

Also, seems like the villain this season is a hybrid if two Cloak and Dagger villains from the comics, namely D'Spayre (a demon that eats hope) and Mister Negative (a crime boss who got his powers the same way as Cloak & Dagger and has a cover identity as a philanthropist). It's a clever way to create a character by using elements from a character that's too cosmic/mystical and another character tied up in the Spider-Man rights.

Chokes McGee posted:

apropos of nothing but I am well chuffed at your avatar
Thank you! I got it for myself since I'm posting Bad Machinery in the BSS Newspaper Comics Thread. It's pretty great! It also stars teens solving mysteries, although more stuff like 'is the local football team cursed by a cryptid' than the heavier stuff in C&D (although both have plotlines with a monster that eats hope, actually).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

quote:

Thank you! I got it for myself since I'm posting Bad Machinery in the BSS Newspaper Comics Thread. It's pretty great! It also stars teens solving mysteries, although more stuff like 'is the local football team cursed by a cryptid' than the heavier stuff in C&D (although both have plotlines with a monster that eats hope, actually).

I know, I was making a callback reference to something Lottie said :)

That goddamn comic can make literally any phrase memorable its comedic timing is amazing

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, seems like the villain this season is a hybrid if two Cloak and Dagger villains from the comics, namely D'Spayre (a demon that eats hope) and Mister Negative (a crime boss who got his powers the same way as Cloak & Dagger and has a cover identity as a philanthropist). It's a clever way to create a character by using elements from a character that's too cosmic/mystical and another character tied up in the Spider-Man rights.

Looks like they're straight up calling him D'Spayre
https://twitter.com/CloakAndDagger/status/1125837706452447240

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Looks like they're straight up calling him D'Spayre
https://twitter.com/CloakAndDagger/status/1125837706452447240
Oh right. I think there's still a bit of Mr. Negative in there, though.

In other news, the reviews are in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r3cD45oaek
:toot:

Edit: looks like they had a typo in the promo video, so I've posted the updated version.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 10, 2019

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Goddamn I love Grace Potter & the Nocturnals

And next week's episode looks wild.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Goddamn I love Grace Potter & the Nocturnals

And next week's episode looks wild.

:agreed:
This episode was loving intense.

I really liked that Tandy had basically managed to rescue herself, to the point where she'd probably have been fine even if Tyrone hadn't shown up (although it's good he did, that teleport kick was loving awesome). And that Aunt Chantelle basically fukcing no-sold D'Spayre's bullshit. And managed to trick him into unknowingly telling Mayhem how his powers worked so she could steer Tyrone back onto the right track and stop him from controlling all the girls he'd previously taken by smashing the records. I wouldn't be surprised if her using the records is also why Tyrone's powers went all screwy, because she's trying to find a way back out.

I'm beginning to wonder if Connors is maybe backsliding, considering he was seemingly looking to escape.

Anyway, looking forward to the next episode where our heroes play an arcade game against Baron Samedi to maybe save Tyrone's soul? And I love that this is a show where I can say that as a sentence. Hopefully it'll be a bit of a breather after this one.

Edit: speaking of breathers, here's the cast at Disneyland!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGz_1YdrV1I

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 10, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Yvonmukluk posted:

Edit: speaking of breathers, here's the cast at Disneyland!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGz_1YdrV1I

At last, we can finally say that actors from Marvel Television have appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

So to save Tyrone, we gotta play the C&D version of arcade X-Men? Sure not like we were getting weird before let's really dig in there...

I love Agents of SHIELD and I wish this show got the same eyeballs that show does, it's easily on the same level if not actually better overall...

https://twitter.com/clarkgregg/status/1127007255226765312

Yes please...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GLOSS posted:

So to save Tyrone, we gotta play the C&D version of arcade X-Men? Sure not like we were getting weird before let's really dig in there...

I love Agents of SHIELD and I wish this show got the same eyeballs that show does, it's easily on the same level if not actually better overall...

https://twitter.com/clarkgregg/status/1127007255226765312

Yes please...

https://twitter.com/clarkgregg/status/1127010090869870593

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

They just posted the motel fight clip on the official youtube channel! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCTB2rOU18A

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

They just posted the motel fight clip on the official youtube channel! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCTB2rOU18A

That is the good stuff. Hulu sub is paying for itself.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well that got heavy

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

^tagline of the whole show really

At this point I'm kinda hoping they just go ahead and introduce Brother Voodoo in here. There's been more bona fide mysticism on this season than in most of any other MCU media that features actual sorcerers and witches.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, that was a trip. And certainly *one* way to resolve the Tandy/Tyrone/Evita love triangle...

Also I kinda liked how Tandy's sprite was clearly just done with everything. And of course the nod back to the comics origin with the game's backstory.

It seemed kind of unclear what was going on with Tandy's mom at the end. Did she just fall off the wagon? Tandy also found some pills, so I'm worried she might have killed herself. Tyrone coming in to reassure her was heartwarming after everything that happened.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Cutting away to the video game was a convenient way to have a big fight scene without having to film the big fight scene. I also really want to see how that boss fight was going to play out.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, that was a trip. And certainly *one* way to resolve the Tandy/Tyrone/Evita love triangle...

Also I kinda liked how Tandy's sprite was clearly just done with everything. And of course the nod back to the comics origin with the game's backstory.

It seemed kind of unclear what was going on with Tandy's mom at the end. Did she just fall off the wagon? Tandy also found some pills, so I'm worried she might have killed herself. Tyrone coming in to reassure her was heartwarming after everything that happened.

My guess is that she's just fallen off the wagon, but Tandy's last words to her will cause plenty of guilt either way.

Ty's mother has certainly made a decisive action. I love how that was just one significant moment amongst several because this show does not mess around!

The nod to the first issue was so perfect, I really enjoyed that. Now, if only Marvel would give some serious money to Mantlo too...

howe_sam posted:

Cutting away to the video game was a convenient way to have a big fight scene without having to film the big fight scene. I also really want to see how that boss fight was going to play out.

I've definitely seen a trumpet as a weapon in games before, but maybe not from the era they were homaging.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
After the terrible way Runaways was handled, it's refreshing to finally see a Marvel show with some bona fide magic and mysticism in it. I hope the bad guy becomes a full loa and they fight him in spiritual plane or something.

Also, I loved how the struggle between Brigid and Mayhem for control was visualized by them each trying to do the other's nails. I like metaphorical representations of mental battles.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Kinda hosed up to see your mom wasted the one guy who could exonerate you....

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Luke Cage!

It's a shame the rights issues probably preclude the Netflix crew from showing up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Ty thinking with portals over here...