Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Listen you need to put a lot of police stations next to a Darco.

Solar power is for chumps.

Parks work better than water for raising land value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
thank u op i will remember these tips if I ever play this old as gently caress game :cheers:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

is that skylines game sim city i fell asleep on youtube and woke up to footage of that game

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Cover the entire map with power lines.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pawn 17 posted:

Cover the entire map with power lines.

Zzz

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
always zone dense

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Transport Tycoon Deluxe was a better game. Because you could actually play with your trains. not just lay the tracks.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 5, 2019

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

when are we gettin' arcologies irl?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I remember when I found out that you could just pay to add water to a slope tile and slap a hydro dam on it and basically have completely green energy forever and it was awesome.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Don't cut funding, you will REGRET THIS!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Reticulating splines...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The_Continental posted:

I've been saying that for years. The brutalism of the Plymouth arco is my go-to mental image of an arcology whenever they come up in non-Sim City 2000 media.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Reticulating splines...

gently caress yeah

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Continental posted:

When my brother was in grade school, a teacher asked him what he wanted to do when he grew up. "Design arcologies" he said. The teacher laughed at him and told him those aren't real, and that day he swore a blood oath to make that dream come true.

Now he's some big shot architect for some firm in New York City.

So, at there's at least one guy working on it!

LouisF
Mar 16, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
[quote="Linux

[/quote]

Looks like some brotherhood of NOD coammand and conquor poo poo

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Why does Simcity 2000 have such disturbing music? It's so...dark? It makes me feel dead internally. I played it as a 4th grader (when SC3000 already existed) and gave it a hard pass after hearing it. I feel like I stepped into a dimly lit workplace office in the mid-late 80s, but as unborn me. eugh

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I never noticed the tiny fighter jets on the bottom one before.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I hated that arcologies weren't a thing in SC3000 or 4. That was the one thing that I liked about SC2k and I thought about it a bunch as a kid.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

defaultluser posted:

Transport Tycoon Deluxe was a better game. Because you could actually play with your trains. not just lay the tracks.

who wants to play with trains lmao

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I loved the Sim city on the snes but when I tried 2000 my tiny young mind could never grow a town bigger than like 15 people. That game was hard...at least I remember it was hard.

Did you know the snes game is actually a port of the pc version?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

who wants to play with trains lmao

I do. It's cool.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

buglord posted:

Why does Simcity 2000 have such disturbing music? It's so...dark? It makes me feel dead internally. I played it as a 4th grader (when SC3000 already existed) and gave it a hard pass after hearing it. I feel like I stepped into a dimly lit workplace office in the mid-late 80s, but as unborn me. eugh

Weird, right? 3000 was even worse tho, IMO

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

*Types in "FUND" repeatedly*

:smug:

*Gets ruined by 25% bonds*

:derp:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

drilldo squirt posted:

I do. It's cool.

You hosed a GameCube and filmed it for the forums though

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jose posted:

You hosed a GameCube and filmed it for the forums though

YOU CAN'T CUT OUR loving! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Applewhite posted:

Weird, right? 3000 was even worse tho, IMO

Nah I gotta disagree. 3000 was much nicer sounding, less foreboding. There were a few creepy tracks though, one starts off which sounds like aliens talking.

The disasters were interesting though, especially the ones that had ticker warnings. Foreshocks leading up to an earthquake stopped the background music. It was scary knowing it was coming soon as the shocks kept happening.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
op i only ever played sim city 2000 on super nintendo and ps1

Honky Dong Country posted:

YOU CAN'T CUT OUR loving! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

the console versions were severely lacking in advisors unfortunately

buglord posted:

Nah I gotta disagree. 3000 was much nicer sounding, less foreboding. There were a few creepy tracks though, one starts off which sounds like aliens talking.

depends on your definition of worse. maybe applewhite just hates candy rear end easy listening jazz with a loving passion

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 5, 2019

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Whatever you do don't edit a giant banner onto Maxis man, it'll make the game lag like poo poo on your Pentium 100 even with the turbo button on

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Yeah SC2000 had a depressing
feel to it with the urban sprawl looking tiles and scary almost mourningful music. But you can setup to borrow money in a negative interest rate and get forever money.

For SC3000 you open a bunch of menus in a very specific order to get a dev building menu and build a ton of castles to boost everything and you will have a great looking city in no time.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I was kinda too young for the game and never figured out how anything works, instead where the disaster button was. Godzilla and a few tornadoes coming right up!

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Also openttd is great if you want to go to town about playing with train sets for a moment or if you want to kinda learn how tail signal or track layout works irl.

Remember those people with huge model train in their basement? you can be like them but without anyone noticing.

City skylines is the best city sim right now and it’s amazing how far we’ve came in the genre. Checkout its thread in games and see how some people create amazing towns.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Encrypted posted:

Also openttd is great if you want to go to town about playing with train sets for a moment or if you want to kinda learn how tail signal or track layout works irl.

Remember those people with huge model train in their basement? you can be like them but without anyone noticing.

City skylines is the best city sim right now and it’s amazing how far we’ve came in the genre. Checkout its thread in games and see how some people create amazing towns.

I'll never build another city again unless a transportation advisor is yelling at me like psy screaming at a yoga woman's butt

you can try but you can't fuckin make me

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 5, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Encrypted posted:

OpenTTD is wonderful. When I first checked it out, I immediately thought 'Well, this kind of sucks... I want to plan cities!', but like... maybe 20 minutes later, holy poo poo, I love it WAY more, and go back to it instead of SC2K/3K now. Having a functioning transportation network is far, far more satisfying than making buildings grow.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I tried playing Skylines, it started to scratch that SimCity itch but it couldn't hold my interest. Maybe I'm just too old for games :(

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I really enjoyed sc2k and played it for years but then something happened and I don't think I ever played it again after that

I had a very large city with a lot of space arcologies and then I placed another space arcology and I hit some kind of threshold where the game froze up and started playing the demolish sound effect over and over again

The arcologies were supposed to be launching off into space or some poo poo and I watched in horror as every single one of my arcologies poofed, one by one by one by one

The entire process took about 15 minutes, and when it was over my city was absolutely hosed and I dunno I guess I beat the game or something

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

drilldo squirt posted:

I never noticed the tiny fighter jets on the bottom one before.

I don't see any jets?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Super Waffle posted:

I tried playing Skylines, it started to scratch that SimCity itch but it couldn't hold my interest. Maybe I'm just too old for games :(

city builders haven't really progressed as a genre beyond sandbox gardens with no goals or challenges other than what you set for yourself, which means that they're great if you have tons of free time and nothing better to do but if you don't want to spend hours loving around with a little bonsai city then there's nothing to hold your interest

anyway dawn of man is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02i1_wXdf7M

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I built all my ideas for cities in SimCity 3000 and have had literally zero interest in playing another simcity-em-up since. Guess I'm just done building cities, you know?

Same with The Sims. Played the gently caress outta that game, but then it was like "nah I'm done now", and they release a new The Sims 52 or whatever, and it's like "okay what's different? You can make the heads big now. Okay. Nah I'm still good" I say to the EA sales person standing with their foot in my door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

Meh