Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In all fairness you judged me correctly

I used to work in the McDonalds round the corner from Supermacs in Galway in the late 1990s, we had to remove name tags, trays and chairs after 7pm each night. We had a lot of McDonald's chairs in our student house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

learnincurve posted:

I….

My mind is blown, sat at my parents dining table which is now mine. I don’t think I actually lived in the house with this set but I certainly sat on it at Christmas and the like and there was always something odd about it -I just figured out what

The chairs are normal height, but the table is at the exact right height for a 6ft man and only a 6ft man.

At some point in the 1990s not only my dad went “wow finally something designed with me and only me a 6ft white man in mind” but an entire process of design manufacture and sale went into ensuring that only one member of a family wouldn’t hate eating dinner.

Motherfuckers just couldn’t include a slightly shorter chair in the set?

This is the most boomer thing to be this upset about.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

how does someone design table height with a white man in mind

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Who What Now posted:

This is the most boomer thing to be this upset about.

It's the most gen X thing to be annoyed about.

Just another in a long line of "hold up wait a second that's not sane or normal" moments we get to experience as adults.

For example "really? you used to do 70mph round this bend with us in the car and absolutely insisted wasn't too fast when we got scared?"

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

slightly taller tables are violence.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Earwicker posted:

how does someone design table height with a white man in mind

Table top should be cock height of standing white man.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I think it's more a bias thing than a boomer thing, but stuff being designed only with men in mind is pretty common.

From an ergonomics perspective, it really sucks to be a short or average height woman.

Even height adjustable stuff is too tall:

https://mobile.twitter.com/claritahall/status/1479910558535196674

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Table top should be cock height of standing white man.
Limp.or erect?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

learnincurve posted:

Just another in a long line of "hold up wait a second that's not sane or normal" moments we get to experience as adults.

For example "really? you used to do 70mph round this bend with us in the car and absolutely insisted wasn't too fast when we got scared?"

There is nothing insane about a table a tiny bit taller than you like

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

5er posted:

That is really, really, really loving gross.

No this is gross

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10427117/Las-Vegas-cops-jailed-innocent-black-man-SIX-DAYS-white-suspect.html

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cheesus posted:

Limp.or erect?

Either/or. Cock should be able to rest on table top while balls dangle below the edge.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I listened to a podcast years ago (radiolab maybe?) About the military often designing things for the "average man" then running into problems because finding an ideal average man is really difficult and not really any easier than finding someone of exact proportions somewhere else on the spectrum.

This problem of course gets amplified when you forget that non-men exist too.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

5er posted:

That is really, really, really loving gross.

lol at having a bunch of cspam gang tags and being anti dorner

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

eSporks posted:

I listened to a podcast years ago (radiolab maybe?) About the military often designing things for the "average man" then running into problems because finding an ideal average man is really difficult and not really any easier than finding someone of exact proportions somewhere else on the spectrum.

I had unisex anti-fragmentation underwear issued, really not good for either men or women.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Do you fragment your underwear often?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fragmentation? In my underwear?

It's more common than you think.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It finally happened.

I heard my mom complain that schools are teaching cursive anymore.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lots of IEDs in Afghanistan innit

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
We had a piece of gear that had multiple sizes, one size listed as "asian small"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CPL593H posted:

It finally happened.

I heard my mom complain that schools are teaching cursive anymore.

Lol. I remember being told every year we had to learn cursive soon, we'd have to use it all the time in high school/university, and by the time we get there everything's typed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol. I remember being told every year we had to learn cursive soon, we'd have to use it all the time in high school/university, and by the time we get there everything's typed.

LOL - pwned.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Who What Now posted:

There is nothing insane about a table a tiny bit taller than you like

It’s 5 inches higher than a usual table and it’s in my house. What’s an order of magnitude more upsetting is realising that my mother had to deal with this for 20 years, presumably while being told don’t be silly it’s only a tiny bit taller than you like, which the real issue for me here.

This is just one more uh uh ok women have to deal with, like when my 5 ft tall daughter did her internship at Mercedes Benz and she had to buy her own overalls instead of being given the branded ones because “we don’t have them that small” and then had to keep asking them to hand her down things or help her reach up because every single thing in the workshop was fixed static at average man’s height.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

eSporks posted:

This is a very long read but it’s fascinating. Basically in 1926 the US airforce measured hundreds of men, designed their planes round the exact average and it all went wrong.

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/01/16/when-us-air-force-discovered-the-flaw-of-averages.html

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, I was going to say it’s the plane story

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The real fun thing is that aside from some extremely occasional and quarter-assed attempted at 'linked print' or something they never even actually tried to teach us cursive. I think the actual teachers all knew where it was going.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

learnincurve posted:

This is a very long read but it’s fascinating. Basically in 1926 the US airforce measured hundreds of men, designed their planes round the exact average and it all went wrong.

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/01/16/when-us-air-force-discovered-the-flaw-of-averages.html

I liked the part where when the same thing happened with measuring the avg woman the conclusion was that women were out of shape and lazy. Take that ya dumb broads.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

learnincurve posted:

Why are you trying to make GenX a thing with this?

And with two things that have absolutely nothing in common to merit that kind of comparison?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

learnincurve posted:

All those Christmases where my dad would have chuckled to himself as he watched us eat at a table for giants.

This is really hilarious and completely worth buying a huge table for.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

learnincurve posted:

It’s 5 inches higher than a usual table and it’s in my house.

Then throw the table out. Look, as someone who has back problems partially because I have to use tables that feel like they're made for hobbits and bashing my forehead open on doorframes and ceiling fans I can sympathize about short people problems but that's just something we have to deal with. Now, things like your dad being a misogynistic rear end in a top hat to your mom instead of finding solutions to make her comfortable or the poor working conditions and mistreatment by employer and coworkers your daughter had to go through are the real problems. People not helping and respecting others are the real problems, not cabinets being too tall (and yes I realize the hypocrisy of saying this while razzing you on a dead gay comedy forum).

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 25, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You better believe Jo Brand found herself absolutely under attack by the press in 2015 after calling out microagressions. It’s not about the table

If the world is designed around you then this world becomes “normal” and you can’t really see what the problem is because it’s always been fine for you, or worse, can see the problem and will knowingly fight tooth and nail to prevent yourself for suffering any mild inconvenience, and at that point you may as well go pick up your red hat and start squawking on Facebook about how your way of life is under attack from woke feminazis.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...s-for-you-video

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is it because the 3000 £ bbq that lived in a garage was rusty?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

learnincurve posted:

You better believe Jo Brand found herself absolutely under attack by the press in 2015 after calling out microagressions. It’s not about the table

If the world is designed around you then this world becomes “normal” and you can’t really see what the problem is because it’s always been fine for you, or worse, can see the problem and will knowingly fight tooth and nail to prevent yourself for suffering any mild inconvenience, and at that point you may as well go pick up your red hat and start squawking on Facebook about how your way of life is under attack from woke feminazis.

The thing is though, you are complaining about the table specifically because it's not normal.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

learnincurve posted:

so what’s ur therapist say about how u hate ur dad

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

learnincurve posted:

I'm a gigantically tall queer person, the world is absolutely not designed around me.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
table goon should simply cut the last few inches off the table legs. If it's an extremely fanciful one with beauteous feet or curved legs or whatever kind of fancy limy poo poo you guys have, then bone up on woodworking and figure out a way to cut out material from somewhere else and put them back on in a way that still looks good. Depending how it's built you can take slices from the upper part or cut and splice the middle.

still asinine to buy the big dick table when it's unsuitable for your family

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
chop the table goon, hacking up the table will help you chop out toxicity

namaste

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The weird thing is it would also have been too tall for him. An regular-proportioned guy 2" higher than average would want a table maybe 1" higher than average (because leg height doesn't count). Unless he had really weird proportions, 5" higher would be more appropriate for a 6'8" guy.

Or the McDonald's standard it's being measured against could be artificially low, maybe to accommodate wheelchair users?

I also don't get, though, if you always hated it and thought it was so abusive and sadistic, why would you keep it and put it in your house?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 25, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

chop the table goon, hacking up the table will help you chop out toxicity

namaste

This is praxis

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Anne Whateley posted:

Or the McDonald's standard it's being measured against could be artificially low, maybe to accommodate wheelchair users?

The last time I ate inside a McDonald's my knees were pressed painfully between the booth and bottom of the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

I also don't get, though, if you always hated it and thought it was so abusive and sadistic, why would you keep it and put it in your house?

Because there's an emotional component to figuring out whether to keep or get rid of all the poo poo your parents accumulated. Some poo poo is easier to get rid of than others, and some you get attached to the thought that you should keep it, even if it has no value to you. You keep it 'for them'.