Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mycomancy posted:

"PEER PRESSURE!" shrieks the middle aged lady with a hairstyle and clothing indistinguishable from literally every other middle aged lady in that room.

"I will just explain to my totally logical and mature 8 year old why he can't have a toy that all of his friends have"

Yeah, I'm sure that worked out well. I can understand the attitude since these people grew up in a slower time when the gap between replacing their parents' black and white TV with a color model was probably measured in decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

There's a restaurant in Vegas called the Heart Attack Grill and people over 350 lbs eat for free. All their food is fried in lard and they also have a butterfat milkshake. The servers are all wearing sexy nurse costumes and will wheelchair you to your car if you eat one of their like 12k calorie burgers.

Boomer America as gently caress right there imo

Right up there with hauling their american flag and marine cops veteran sticker adorned electric scooters to walmart on the back of their huge truck or van so they can buy more lovely, calorie-laden food to keep them morbidly obese.

Apparently that marine corps discipline didn't stick when it came to physical conditioning.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bonzo posted:

YOU NEED THIS FOR COLLEGE is what I was told up until 9th grade (87 or 88) when teachers switched to "must be legible, I don't care how you write".

All though grade school it was "YOU MUST WRITE CURSIVE, IN HIGH SCHOOL NO PRINTED WORK WILL BE ACCEPTED!!!" Then in high school nobody cared and almost everyone stopped using it. By then papers were expected to be typed anyways.

There is still a lot of cursive around so it makes sense to know how to read it, but spending loads of time learning to be proficient when writing it doesn't make much sense anymore.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

KiteAuraan posted:

Boston, Foreigner, Foreigner Belts and Rear-Screen Projection TVs are all things Boomers love.

i haven't seen a rear projection screen in anyone's home for a long time

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BalloonFish posted:

The plastic covers were still on the back seats and door trims of their car (always a Ford Orion Ghia or a Focus Ghia) and they refused to use the radio "because that would harm the resale values...."

They also saved every scrap of leftover food, reused strips of baking foil and always turned up hours early to any social engagement - early enough so that if it had been arranged to come over for lunch, they'd be able to say "Oh, we didn't have time for breakfast, can we trouble you for a bite to eat?" and so they'd get two free meals.

I guess this was some unbreakable habit from childhoods in the Great Depression, but I have no idea what cultural quirk leads to stuff like the Good Room, unless it's a hangover from the days of the Victorian parlour when you stuffed all your wordly possesions into one cluttered room to the extent you could hardly stand in it to show off how much clutter you could afford to accumulate.

In conclusion, the Silent Generation could be just as crazy as the Boomers, but at least they were quiet about it.

There are people with quirks because they grew up during the depression and/or wartime and then there are people who are just complete lovely cheapskates. These people sound like the latter.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tato posted:

lmfao. The steadfast, confident stubbornness that old people have for things that have absolutely no understanding of is a constant source of amusement.

The better ones are the people who don't run the air conditioning in the car because they think it "saves it". Except not running the AC in a car causes the seals to dry up and leak.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Boomer coworker just informed me that his granddaughter didn't learn anything in High School because they didn't bother to teach her cursive.

When pressed on why it was important, "because what if the computer breaks." He, also failed to tell me when the last time he used cursive was.

So, boomers love the idea of cursive handwriting.

Ask him if he knows how to use a slide rule, "because what if the calculator breaks"

Even if he did learn at some point, he won't remember

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Plastic wrapped furniture is so strange. You may have paid a lot for it, but it looks like poo poo in plastic. What’s the point of it lasting longer if it looks like poo poo?

And it mostly goes into the garbage when grandma and grandpa die because nobody wants an ugly, uncomfortable chair that's the ugliest shade of green possible and doesn't go with any decor from the last 50 years. They might try to sell it and then learn the hard truth that just because something is old doesn't mean it's valuable.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

homeless guy posted:

dae hate young people

What the hell is a plugger?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

For me it was Beavis and Butthead as a 14 year old. They went to bed early so I did anyway.

It's funny to watch it now and remember how bent out of shape people were over it because it's so tame compared to what came just a few years later.

Boomers also love to brag about how they were free to wander and took the bus downtown when they were 12 and then spent years freaking out if their own kids wandered out of their sight for more than 3 seconds.

Bonzo posted:

I worked a video store in the early 90s and saw lots of sad faces when Mom told them that Power Rangers was too violent. Then there were the parents that would rent poo poo like Die Hard for their 8 -year-old and ask me if there was nudity because dropping a guy from the 50th floor is fine but God forbid his dick is out or someone sees a boob.

We rented and watched Starship Troopers as a family and all of the violence and gore were just fine, but at the first glimpse of tits on the screen my mom went into shrieking harpy mode.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 17, 2019

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bonzo posted:

I remember a time when schools were banning Bart Simpson tshirts.

Mine did. Bart Simpson was a bad influence who used such vile language as "sucks" and talked back to his parents. Not like the nice people on that Bill Cosby show who should be held up as role models.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Not just boomers, lol. There's people here paranoid that child protective services will get called on them if they let their kids walk to school by themselves. Its a lot of misplaced paranoia on one extreme, and just garden variety child neglect on the other. The people worried about getting railroaded by CPS probably have actual hosed up poo poo they are trying to keep on the down low and don't want the scrutiny, while many of the people that let their kids go free range just don't want to deal with the energy it takes to actually supervise them.

Not just them, but their generation started the fire by really tightening the reins. Now you have people who get babysitters for their goddamn teenagers because apparently a 14 and 12 year old can't spend a few hours at home by themselves.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Boomers like self-fellating facebook memes:

:jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

lots of younger people ride motorcycles

they just don't buy overpriced, rattly crap bikes that look and ride like they are straight out of the 70s

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CPL593H posted:

There's a gas station near my house and when you go inside there is always someone over 60 sitting at this counter in the back with scratch tickets for extended periods of time and when they run out they just keep buying more. They actually put a chair in that spot for this reason. Pretty much any place I go to that has scratch tickets will be a hangout for old people.

Back when most people still paid cash and had to go inside to pay for gas these people were annoying as gently caress because they held up the whole line while buying 80 tickets and then requesting that the cashier scan them to see if any won. Bonus points if their car was blocking a pump as well.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Grape posted:

I'm a Millennial too lol, and neither of us were old enough to be into any of that at the time, it was Gen X stuff. There has only in recent years been some large amount of people who were like 9 in the 90's posting tons of stuff about how super cool 90's teenage culture was.

90s fashion may be the worst decade in the entirety of recorded history. High school hallways looked like a sea of walking potato sacks topped with dumb, edgy haircuts.

Boomers were really easily offended by bad haircuts in the 90s.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 26, 2019

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Don't forget things being EXTREME! And also neon green stuff seemed to be everywhere.

That was a 90s holdover. The 90s was the decade of EXTREME WACKY INSANITY when gross-out humor was in, green slime was a punchline and shows like Jackass were taking off.

Kids' boomer parents hated all of it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

LabyaMynora posted:

Eh... the more you find out about that case, the more hosed up McDonald's was. She got 3rd degree burns on her labia from spilling it in her lap. She's supposed to ingest that?

Also, not a boomer - she was 79 in 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants

Honestly, if they could have shown the photos of her injuries on TV back then public opinion might have been different.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

also I got a question, why are boomers so adverse against scientists.
They sent your father to the moon

Because Rush Limbaugh says so, they are bitter about not being able to pour old motor oil down the drain anymore and their brains translate "taking action against climate change" as "liberals want to destroy my decadent lifestyle"

This isn't a boomer thing either. Those 20-40 somethings who don't vaccinate their kids and cause resurgence of diseases like the measles because of hippy dippy bullshit are just the other side of the same coin.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Also if you don't know who Paul Harvey is then look it up on YouTube. If you listen close enough you'll hear Ronald Regan's dick moving in and out of his mouth.

And now you know... the rest of the story.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

Every local town Facebook group is filled with posts about this. "Can someone suggest a contractor who will completely remodel my kitchen for a REASONABLE price?". Then it always turns out they are trying to get it done for like 500 bucks or something.

Boomers love to downplay the difficulty of jobs

"Hey, could you help me paint a room this weekend. It's a small job and shouldn't take long" :phoneb:
"Sure, I'll see you on Saturday" :phone:

*Arrives to find that three layers of old wallpaper need to be stripped first*
*The "easy" job ends up being three days of grueling work*

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Sears was the Amazon of the 1890's people being like oh no catalog sales are going to kill mom and pop businesses and why won't these drat young people go to an actual store to get stuff like we've always done instead of ordering things through the mail??? And it was all bullshit because Sears offered consistent quality and lower prices than your local general store and also didn't discriminate against minorities or unwed mothers and stuff.

It's always stupid reactionary bullshit to anything new, all the way down.

At one point you used to be able to order entire houses from Sears. Not sheds or tiny houses like on Amazon, but actual houses that a family could comfortably live in. They even came with fancy looking scroll work around the windows and doors. In fact, very often when you see fancy woodwork in old american homes it was ordered from Sears.

Kids didn't kill Sears, plenty of old businesses adapted and are doing just fine. Sears was killed by a crazy libertarian who pitted the different departments against each other and ran it into the ground.

And boy I sure hate being able to use the internet and find *exactly* what I'm looking for at a reasonable price instead of having to waste half the day running around to stores until finding one that could order the part I need from a dusty catalog and get it in 3 weeks later for 4x the price.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nooner posted:

I remember that as a kid I always thought it was weird that Walmart always had a ton of olds camping in RVs in their lot and like wtf is the point of retiring to travel the country in your RV when you are just driving from Walmart to Walmart parking lot seems retarded and I was probably like 8 when I realized that

American boomers loved taking away their kids books and Gameboys on road trips to force them to appreciate the majesty of the American landscape.

*Spends 10 hours driving past barren desert or pancake flat cornfields set to a backdrop of rusty silos*

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Feeling superior to young people for having useless "skills" they imagine young people do not posess
https://twitter.com/Jet_Blakk/status/1151499601158918144

comments are pretty good:

Boomers also seem to like thinking that millennials aren't their kids, the oldest of whom are pushing 40.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Plan Z posted:

When everyone talks about "movies that define a generation", there's not really one for Millenials. Boomers got stuff like The Graduate, while Gen X got stuff (depending on age) like Breakfast Club, Reality Bites, and Office Space. I started thinking what the Millenial movie could be, and I think it's... Office Space. I can't imagine a Millenial seeing a movie where a guy gets to work in an office five days a week 9-5 where he can do either nothing or apparently does very little work, affords to live by himself, has a beautiful sympathetic girlfriend, and has 2-3 friends he regularly sees and fathom that not only do other generations love the movie but that he believes that his life sucks enough that he bitches about having to go in on a Saturday once in a while, alienates his girlfriend for being worried about him being unemployed/hearing a rumor she slept with a guy he didn't like, and risks going to prison (based on a movie he saw and off-hand comments from a friend).

That or Ghosts of Mars.

Office Space is similar to Clerks and Fight Club in that the core theme was the great existential crisis. "I've got a steady job and a great life. So... this is it?"

Maybe the millennial movie is Billy Madison, since according to the media millennials are a bunch of kids who never grew up.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Assuming this is a boomer and not someone in their 90s, this gently caress is describing their parents' world.

It may have been this way when boomers were kids, but when they grew up they fled to the suburbs, ushered in the era of everything being disposable and dismantled public infrastructure.

Back then homes were incredibly wasteful because energy was cheap, so single pane windows and a lack of insulation was the norm, refrigerators and furnaces were extremely inefficient compared to what we have today and the average family car spewed more pollutants into the air than a fleet of Super Ranch X71 diesel trucks. If you've ever had the displeasure of being behind a classic car, it stinks figuratively and literally.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Yeah pretty much. It's just heavier and less resistant to shocks so it's got drawbacks.

A funny thing is that in the 60s, Mc Donalds used mostly cardboard and paper to package their burgers. However Boomers deemed that not ecological because it meant cutting down trees and trees are good for the environment right ? So McD decided to appease that bunch of hippies market segment by changing their packaging. That's how they went from this in the fifties:

To this in the seventies and eighties:

Good job saving those trees!

Pretty much all of the paper used today comes from trees grown specifically to make paper, and the same goes for lumber used for construction. Never mind all of the paper saved now that most people under 80 read the news on an iPad or their phone instead of getting a newspaper every day (it's really easy to forget how fast those stacked up).

The McDLT was a casualty of the move away from styrofoam packaging because the hot didn't stay hot and the cool didn't stay cool anymore.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

I can’t dispute anything you’re saying because you apparently have first hand knowledge, but that is the first time I’ve ever heard anyone praise manufactured goods in Communist countries. Like Kiev 88 cameras were prized because they could be great, but you were more likely to get something that broke easily or was full of light leaks.

Even reading stuff written by Russians, I’ve never heard anyone say their consumer goods were superior. :shrug:

I've seen plenty of old ex-yu radios still working, because they may be huge and heavy, but internally they are dirt simple and made to run forever.

There's an old joke about Erich Honecker visiting an east german factory and asking the foreman how things are going. The foreman replies "Well, we have a 10% defect rate". Erich then made a concerned sigh and replied "Hmm, will that be enough to meet demand?"

The joke being that a lot of communist countries exported their higher quality goods and kept the lower quality stock for domestic use.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Plus all our fat asses need stretchy fabrics, which means everything’s got copious amounts of plastic interwoven with the cotton.

Boomers definitely like stretchy clothing. I was shopping for new shorts last year and the vast majority were offered in general small/medium/large sizes with elastic waistbands. This was at a higher-end store too. I had to go online to order traditional ones that actually fit at a reasonable price.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

LabyaMynora posted:

Doubt it, we weren't breathing in all the lead fumes that they were for decades growing up.

Also, I remember my mother struggling with new technology when she was my age. I'm still fine with new things. Most of our new technology is stupid as hell, but when I come across something that's actually good, I'm excited by it.

A lot of younger people are and have always been clueless when it comes to tech. Just because they grew up blogging tweets to facebook doesn't mean they understand how things work under the hood or how to fix them when they go awry.

Talking to educators we seem to be at the stage where young people entering university and the workforce are actually less tech savvy than their predecessors since they grew up with newer computers that attempted to hide how the sausage was made as much as possible. I wouldn't doubt that there are kids entering high school now who never used anything but phones, tablets, and game machines.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Little Death posted:

You're talking about programming and IT. Not basic tech literacy like using a word processor or a spreadsheet program.

I'm talking about university students taking technical courses being given a zip file containing the files they need for an assignment and not knowing how to open it.

First of May posted:

The command line to them is like punch cards to us.

Except, unlike punch cards, the command line is far from obsolete and if you go into any technical field you will need it at some point.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truniht posted:

Baby boomers like raising their kids to be mass shooters

Part-Time Maenad posted:

Boomers love raising healthy strong genius children who have never had anything wrong with them ever no matter what any doctor or teacher says. How DARE you make them feel like a bad parent by pointing out Brayden's hobbies are setting kittens on fire, biting other kids, and crying randomly.

People are confusing boomers and gen-x

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Coucho Marx posted:

Like, what's 137 x 12? That's not on the multiplication table, so you're SOL there, and if most of your primary school math education was from the 90s or early 2000s (the average age of SA users must be around 30 by now), you'd have been told to write it out as a sum, or just use a calculator.

A huge chunk of our 5th and 6th grade math curriculum was studying flashcards with equations like this on them with the goal of memorizing the answers. We then had timed tests on them where you had maybe 2-3 seconds to write down the answer and if you didn't have everything memorized you had no chance. I still have no idea what any of that crap was supposed to teach us, other than that math was stressful and sucked. I have never in my life had to arbitrarily recall what 154*11 is, although I can do it in my head in a few seconds.

Funnily enough, a lot of people who were good at that stuff and were tracked into honors math courses because of it quit after Algebra 2, because once it became more about real mathematics than arithmetic a lot of people just didn't get it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is the irrational fear of spice low key racism or is that too hot a take?

American boomers just generally grew up eating bland, overcooked food. They were also the generation when instant-everything became the norm.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've never been there, but isn't Germany incredibly easy to get around if you only know English? Like, a lot of the words are the same.

Most of Europe is like that as pretty much everyone under 40 or 50 speaks some English and large cities will generally have signs and menus in multiple languages. Venture into the countryside and suddenly those multi-language signs start disappearing and trying to order in English at the village bakery may get you a panicked blank stare from the cashier.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Grape posted:

Are you saying people are humble bragging by talking about eating spicy food.

Any discussion about spice in food usually results in food snobs talking about how they only eat at East x Southern fusion restaurants and a lot of hurr durr white people food because they think the entire western world cooks nothing but extra-well-done meat and mushy boiled vegetables from a freezer bag like some 8th generation midwestern grandma.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

EVs failed in the 90s, therefore they’ll never really work and any modern day success just reflects some flash in the pan fad. Boomers either forget the 90s were thirty years ago and technology has obviously improved or they refuse to acknowledge better performance because the failure of EVs was a rhetorical bludgeon used for owning libs for so long.

Oh yeah, boomers love the whole :byodood:"they tried <thing> n years ago and it didn't work ergo it will never work!":byodood:

where n >= 25

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Gen X used to be shorthand for lazy, gumptionless young people in general, just like “millennials” is now.

Gen X were known for being cynical and nihilistic. Millennials get poo poo on because their priorities are different from their parents (getting married later, if at all, not buying huge houses in the middle of nowhere, etc...)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Boomers like cars. They like cars that are brand new, or built in the 50's and 60's, there is no inbetween.

tbf american boomers lived through the malaise years. american cars in general from the mid-70s to the late-90s were really bad

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Barudak posted:

A friend of mine in highschools parents were older so they were boomer as hell and against their kids wishes they had the 16th birthday party at hooters and were utterly astounded none of the kids friends came or that the kid hated it.

The best part is its not like the family were stereotype rednecks or something, the mom and dad were absurdly rich.

If there is one thing a 16 year old doesn't want to do, it's go to a PG-13 strip club with their parents. Parents trying to seem cool to their kids is always cringy, but this just might peg the meter at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Barudak posted:

They bought him a hooters t-shirt at the restaurant, made him wear it in the restaurant at his own birthday part, and then had the entire waitstaff sign his shirt while he wore it and recorded this using their cutting edge for the time camera phone.

We now have conclusive proof that you can't actually die from embarrassment, because if it was even remotely possible this kid definitely would have.