Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kurt Loadeater posted:

Yeah lets all gentrify the poo poo out of some inner cities until the poor people currently living there can no longer afford to do so #progress

Gentrification isn't what they're talking about and stopping neighborhoods from changing at all also is terrible goddamn policy that encourages the current detrimental to the planet arrangement to persist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not even sure what these guys stand for other than being internet contrarians that have discovered the One True Way to live inside of a shoebox or perhaps even an urban teepee next to a whole foods or whatever.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol at wanting to keep dilapidated inner cities lovely because you're scared of gentrification

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Play posted:

Because it's insanely selfish, greedy, wasteful, ruins the environment and leaves less for everyone else? Basically it makes you an enormous piece of boomer poo poo?? Other than that, though, nothing.

If people had the grace to be ashamed at their rapacious greed, this country would be a much better place to live. But they don't, and it isn't. I suspect Boomers played a role in that although certainly they aren't the only ones.

Sorry you can't afford a bigger house :shrug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

lol at wanting to keep dilapidated inner cities lovely because you're scared of gentrification

I get gentrification can be a positive thing. My hometown was hallowed our after Boomer White Flight and now younger people are moving back into the city. That’s great for diversity, but it sucks for lower income people who are being priced out of the city they inherited and maintained when all the White people left.

The end result will be a net positive, it just won’t work for everyone.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's not really gentrification if it was maintained lol

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Maintaining also means not letting it become Detroit circa 10 years ago. I’m not saying it looked good, but the lights were still on.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kurt Loadeater posted:

The waste/impact to the environment from housing is greatly exaggerated. Home purchases are a major driver of our economy so we'd all be worse off if people weren't buying them. One of those things that's not so simple to hate on.

Home buying and selling to drive the economy does not sound very sustainable.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gildiss posted:

Home buying and selling to drive the economy does not sound very sustainable.

as I peer through the mists of time I see there was some kind of crash related to the housing market, way back in the distant past of .....2007

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

When everyone talks about "movies that define a generation", there's not really one for Millenials. Boomers got stuff like The Graduate, while Gen X got stuff (depending on age) like Breakfast Club, Reality Bites, and Office Space. I started thinking what the Millenial movie could be, and I think it's... Office Space. I can't imagine a Millenial seeing a movie where a guy gets to work in an office five days a week 9-5 where he can do either nothing or apparently does very little work, affords to live by himself, has a beautiful sympathetic girlfriend, and has 2-3 friends he regularly sees and fathom that not only do other generations love the movie but that he believes that his life sucks enough that he bitches about having to go in on a Saturday once in a while, alienates his girlfriend for being worried about him being unemployed/hearing a rumor she slept with a guy he didn't like, and risks going to prison (based on a movie he saw and off-hand comments from a friend).

That or Ghosts of Mars.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Plan Z posted:

I started thinking what the Millenial movie could be, and I think it's... Office Space.

Scott Pilgrim.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Nationalize all land and build 50 story soulless concrete apartments

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MRC48B posted:

Scott Pilgrim.

Saw 1 through 4.

Or maybe Transformers?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Kurt Loadeater posted:

I'm not even sure what these guys stand for other than being internet contrarians that have discovered the One True Way to live inside of a shoebox or perhaps even an urban teepee next to a whole foods or whatever.

Dude, you're the only contrarian here. :shrug:

Plan Z posted:

When everyone talks about "movies that define a generation", there's not really one for Millenials.

The Matrix, for all the good and bad that entails.

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am? My viewpoint is pretty mainstream.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Nationalize all land and build 50 story soulless concrete apartments

It's not so much that we all need to live in Soviet style apartments, but Boomers do have crap taste in houses. Fake-rear end White House-style columns/pillars in front, flag poles in the front yard, giant open floor plans that waste space and triple the cost of heating/cooling. Also, these houses are built like poo poo and will collapse within 30 years, right when their millennial kids inherit them (assuming they're not reverse mortgaged away).

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

LabyaMynora posted:

The Matrix, for all the good and bad that entails.

This was my exact thought.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Plan Z posted:

When everyone talks about "movies that define a generation", there's not really one for Millenials. Boomers got stuff like The Graduate, while Gen X got stuff (depending on age) like Breakfast Club, Reality Bites, and Office Space. I started thinking what the Millenial movie could be, and I think it's... Office Space. I can't imagine a Millenial seeing a movie where a guy gets to work in an office five days a week 9-5 where he can do either nothing or apparently does very little work, affords to live by himself, has a beautiful sympathetic girlfriend, and has 2-3 friends he regularly sees and fathom that not only do other generations love the movie but that he believes that his life sucks enough that he bitches about having to go in on a Saturday once in a while, alienates his girlfriend for being worried about him being unemployed/hearing a rumor she slept with a guy he didn't like, and risks going to prison (based on a movie he saw and off-hand comments from a friend).

That or Ghosts of Mars.

Office Space is similar to Clerks and Fight Club in that the core theme was the great existential crisis. "I've got a steady job and a great life. So... this is it?"

Maybe the millennial movie is Billy Madison, since according to the media millennials are a bunch of kids who never grew up.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

millennial movie is anchorman because it's a string of repeatable memes and it was huge during Iraqi freedom

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
What about visioneers as a millenial coming of age flick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3xhMOXT1Z8

Anyway, boomers like not doing their jobs and getting defensive and asking "WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT?" when you point out a design flaw but suggest multiple ways they could fix it without violating building codes. Least that dickweed will be gone before I have to go back into that office again, ugh. Also the thing that "gives me the right" is I'm literally tasked to review projects and keep lazy poo poo like this from happening, and I'm the only person that's giving you helpful advice on how to fix your lazy poo poo in a positive way. My actual loving job.

Ugh, at least the ones that are assholes will be retiring soon.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment,.
The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."
The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."
The older lady said that she was right our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on toexplain: Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.
But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day. Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.
But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then. We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.
Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days.
Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.
In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.
When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.
Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power.
We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing."
We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.
But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?
Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart rear end young person. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kurt Loadeater posted:

The waste/impact to the environment from housing is greatly exaggerated. Home purchases are a major driver of our economy so we'd all be worse off if people weren't buying them. One of those things that's not so simple to hate on.

Lol x2

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kurt Loadeater posted:

It's pretty simple: don't buy a bigass status symbol house that you don't loving need because it is greedy and wasteful.

If you translate that to mean "the internet mean people say I have to live in a shoe box" then that sounds like a personal issue on your part.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bird with big dick posted:

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment,.
The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."
The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."
The older lady said that she was right our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on toexplain: Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.
But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day. Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.
But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then. We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.
Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days.
Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.
In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.
When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.
Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power.
We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing."
We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.
But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?
Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart rear end young person. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.

Someone wrote this, with a fiery passion, and that is very funny to me to be honest.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The comments on Facebook are all boomers pretending that millennials invented disposable diapers and it makes me wish that one of the things boomers liked was being chained together and dropped into the marianas trench because that’s what should happen to them.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also I think Office Space has been getting dicked with that take lately. He didn't have a great life. He had a miserable alienated existence where people walked all over him and he had to deal with it because 'that's the way things are.' His apartment was poo poo, his job was soul destroying.

He decides to stop giving a poo poo and that is when he gets a raise, tempered by the fact that his only friends are getting fired.

It's a damning indictment of the promised middle class lifestyle of capitalism. It kind of drops the ball a bit at the end where he is happy having a body destroying blue collar job as if he just needed some sunshine all along but that's Hollywood for you.

Although actually the dude who made out the best was the guy who decided gently caress this whole enterprise, seized the opportunity to steal the cashiers check, burned the building down, and hosed off out of the country. Milton is supposed to be the fool we laugh at but in the end he is the true revolutionary. Peter will probably be miserable again in a year.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 24, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was real sad like the office space guy but instead of getting an outdoor blue collar job to get vitamin D I just started masturbating in public.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The true meaning of Office Space is that magic is real because he kills the fat hypnotist solely by the power of his own negativity

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kurt Loadeater posted:

Just because a bunch of countries (:canada:) depend on it doesn’t mean your country should rely on buying and selling houses lol

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I mean that meme about old consumer habits isn't entirely wrong. A lot of things that are hailed as sparing the environment were big standard several generations ago. There definitely was a trend towards making everything so cushy and convenient that you now have climatized houses in the desert, single pieces of fruit in plastic wrap, and throwaway cutlery with supermarket salads. The meme is just very confused about who made these things seem desirable.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

hawowanlawow posted:

as I peer through the mists of time I see there was some kind of crash related to the housing market, way back in the distant past of .....2007
That was all about Boomers exploiting the housing market for otherwise unrelated Wall Street gambling that the American taxpayer had to bail our. A much more appropriate use of tax funds than helping pay down irresponsible millennial college bills (a benefit that Boomers enjoyed).

Thanks for getting the thread back on track and reminding us why Boomers are such fucks!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

There were a number of 90s movies like Fight Club and American Beauty where the main character has to deal with the terrible ennui that apparently comes of being wealthy and successful but Office Space was not that at all.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Someone post that article about Boomers upset that Millenials aren’t buying their McMansions to fund their retirement lol

Before they die off Boomers are going to make kidney/piece-of-liver/whatever organ and blood donations by Millenials and younger mandatory

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
All that talk of electricity in the screed, but boomers love "real" light bulbs

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

I mean that meme about old consumer habits isn't entirely wrong. A lot of things that are hailed as sparing the environment were big standard several generations ago. There definitely was a trend towards making everything so cushy and convenient that you now have climatized houses in the desert, single pieces of fruit in plastic wrap, and throwaway cutlery with supermarket salads. The meme is just very confused about who made these things seem desirable.

It's exactly this. The irony of this meme triples every second you spend reading it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

All that talk of electricity in the screed, but boomers love "real" light bulbs

The color is warm. Much like their vinyl albums. Although vinyl is probably as much a younger generation thing now as it was Boomer.

And regarding housing as part of the economy, residential construction and remodeling represents 3 to 5% of the GDP (I don't think existing home sales count because GDP doesn't recognize used products). Here's the kicker, under normal circumstances it's around 3.5%. Between 2005 and 2007 when everyone lost their loving minds the percentage increased to...4.5%. Obviously in a 20 trillion dollar economy an extra percent is a lot, but normally a housing crash shouldn't take the broader economy with it unless you securitize! All that bad debt was scattered throughout the economy and caused a whole more damage than if it had just been isolated to housing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's hard to name a country that doesn't have a massive housing shortage because real estate companies will literally only build luxury apartments and let them sit empty if there's not enough rich people to buy them.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's hard to name a country that doesn't have a massive housing shortage because real estate companies will literally only build luxury apartments and let them sit empty if there's not enough rich people to buy them.

In a lot of cases, the rich who barely use their space are the only people that type of building can sustain. New buildings, even luxury ones, are build so slipshod and cheaply they will begin falling apart if an actual human moved in and started treating it like a home

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Kurt Loadeater posted:

Yeah lets all gentrify the poo poo out of some inner cities until the poor people currently living there can no longer afford to do so #progress

I don't think you really care about gentrification and its impact to the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bring back old gbs posted:

In a lot of cases, the rich who barely use their space are the only people that type of building can sustain. New buildings, even luxury ones, are build so slipshod and cheaply they will begin falling apart if an actual human moved in and started treating it like a home

Also renovated ones, see Grenfell. Modern architecture is not designed to be habitats for humans.