Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

First episode was good and it was a visual tour de force. A lot of the imagery relies on traditional japanese folklore which is a given do to the kappas, but theres also kamaitachi. The music fits with the imagery. The screenwritting feels more like Penguindrum. Like there is an internal monologue that happens at the start of the episode that gets turned on its head when you get more information, except unlike penguindrum the payoff happens on the same episode instead of near the end of the series. Like seriously watch the episode again after you are done and notice how everything changes.

I think the basic theme so far is "Dont hide who you are" similar to Yurikuma. And also similarly, its incredibly gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It could go either way, Penguindrum made it look like Kanba had some feelings that werent right for his sister but then the show spun that around in a completely different direction. Whereas Yurikuma was always physical and sexual in nature.

I seriously doubt Kazuki's desire/connection is physical in nature. Enta definitely has the hots for Kazuki though

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

oh I thought all those As where just for rear end/anal

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The emphasis on circles, loops, the contrast in love and desire, I think there is more to the name than just kappa related stuff

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I wasnt expecting the gayest show in over a year to also include the good weed or waterboarding

omg the cops dancing/singing

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 18, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Keppi's extraction face was also very good

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

coronatae posted:

What surprised me about the stinger was that they actually showed the kiss itself. I was thinking about it as compared to Yuuri on Ice where they didn't explicitly show lips locking but implied it as hard as they could. But here it's ok because he's dressed as Sara. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I also don't know Japanese censorship laws.

Yurikuma waited till the very end but it had the girls kiss and it lasted a whole lot longer than that

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The cops are related to Sara and it just happens that whatever she deems lucky in an episode is seemingly targeted by the cops.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

quote:

Ikuhara also mentioned with a laugh that he was surprised that nobody in the staff stopped him. "Even as I was telling people, 'This is how we're doing this,' I was thinking, 'Okay, somebody is definitely going to call me out on this.' But nobody did.

What a lad

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm definitely dreading where the show is going with Haru and all the details

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

what two syllable word are they going to use for next episode's desire?

チンポ チンポ

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 26, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

Judging by the Toi segment of the released single of that song, the answer is soba

e: how that relates to the grow-op/yakuza thing he has going is going to be the highlight of the episode I'm sure

Well thats easy to figure out then.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

it might just be a pun. Otter - Kawauso. River lie? Kappa itself is a portmanteau of river child

Also if you hear the cop song, they remove the wa sound from kawauso in the end part going Kauso-iya!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The otters themselves were more like trickster spirits, not really violent like kappas were.

The rolls are reversed in this case, the protagonists are playing the yokai thats usually seen as very violent while the apparent villains are playing the generally harmless one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

coronatae posted:

God I hope next episode follows through with the kidnapping/switch at the meet and greet.

That stinger...my gut reaction is the burden of dealing with a younger sibling who clearly needs a lot of attention and care? But it's Ikuhara so I'm expecting to be bamboozled.

I'd forgotten about the many uses of soba but it was also played with in Yurikuma Arashi!

That might be a part of it but there is probably more to it. If Haruka is even more hosed up than he appears to be, like dying, then it could be that Kazuki is reminded and finds it painful to connect as his brother. Keeping his distance might be a sort of a defense mechanism.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Really liked the visuals this episode. When Kazuki's granpa tells him the BIG SHOCKER the people in the room all shifted from normal to background characters. I noticed how distant he was with his family the first time they showed up but wasnt really expecting that to be the case. A kid his age will be pretty lost if that was thrust on him. Heavy poo poo, feels like an inverse of one of Penguindrums main points.

The scene immediately after with the flickering light evoking a slasher film was hilarious and a huge emotional whiplash

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 9, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

So I was wondering when a zombie's desire would unambiguously be a fetish, guess we got there.
I mean all of them have been fetishes, its just this one a more common one

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im glad he's dead

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, I've been watching the raws and let me tell you, this is going to become a whole lot more relevant after todays episode. drat was it good

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

As with Utena, they always put the biggest mysteries after the credits.

Its actually more answers than mysteries. Thats almost 100% the kappa prince, its also what Reo wants for his endgame, the question that it raises is whether Keppi is the love half or the desire half.

Its a loving lot like Penguindrum with Momoka .

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 16, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

just make the table a stove and its 100% correct

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like how the boys always misconstrue whats happening in the desire flashes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean that trajectory that he was flying in didnt look like he was kick in his ball head

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

I like noodles, I like broccoli (especially when stir fried), but steamed broccoli + ramen + mayonaise what the gently caress is that

Japanese mayo is basically a creamy vehicle of MSG, which goes well with anything.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

runupon cracker posted:

Well that's rather annoying.

Enta *had* to know that his secret would be revealed. Unless for some reason he suddenly forgot everything they'd done up until then. Seriously, that feels dumb and sloppy.

Enta IS loving dumb and stupid.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Toi being emotionally the most stable out of all the kids after literally murdering someone when he was like 7 says a lot actually

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Heavy poo poo this episode

and broken misplaced anuses

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This show loving owns

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

There was an AR thing going on in twitter where the cops had their own twitter and it got deleted after this episode aired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The prince is extremely sexy