Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
In short, my Mum's laptop is locked in a Win 10 "checking disk for errors" on boot perpetual hell. From Googling etc it seems that I physically need to be there to fix that and that's not an option as we are 3000 miles apart and I'd be better off buying her another laptop if that was the only option. I don't know anyone locally where she lives whom I trust to preserve her files and fix whatever is up with that laptop without fleecing her. Walking her through all this is too much and there's no second device I could remotely control to create any liveUSBs or reinstallation media.

Thinking about this problem though, I was wondering if anyone knew any liveUSB linux distros that are made for remote support.

Ideally:
  • Once booted, it would be damned hard for the remote helper to be cut off from being able to connect
  • Perhaps a few different methods of remotely connecting. Teamviewer stands out for it's connection discovery and familiarity. Not sure about other "phone home" options (in my case I do have a home server at my end that could listen out for a connection).
  • Can be preconfigured with SSH keys in authorized_keys etc - assume that I'll have physical access to create and configure this thing before sending it
  • Ideally a few extra methods of connection just in case

At the moment I think the best way would be is to get any Distro Image (e.g Ubuntu), get a thin USB Flash Drive that's small enough to go as a letter in international mail, flash the distro with persistent storage and add/test TV, ssh keys and anything else I can think of to allow remote support. The problem then only becomes booting from said drive (e.g. bios boot order or guessing what the select boot device key is on that laptop)

However, I can't be the only one to think of this, so any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU