Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They illustrated that in season 2.

Was that in the books?

The point still stands about Brienne, Jamie, etc. still living despite being surrounded by zombies attacking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
They won't kill Dany, because then people will complain that they made the female character a psycho

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Was this a really widespread reaction? It's hard for me to tell because the article doesn't link to the twitter accounts themselves (or maybe my phone isn't working properly displaying them), so I can't see how much the tweets were liked, or how many people were talking about it. I didn't hear about it in the news or the nerd sites I frequent.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Why didn't Gendry make Dark Souls Thorns Armor with the dragonglass

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ElGroucho posted:

They won't kill Dany, because then people will complain that they made the female character a psycho

Dany will die giving birth to her and Jon Snow's inbred monstrosity of a child (Jon will also be dead by this point). That kid's gonna make Charles II look like Tom Brady

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah the issue is pretty simple. The writers wanted arya to kill the nk and they wanted it to be a surprise, so they took pains to make sure. I know when I was watching, I was like "holy poo poo Jon's not going to make it in time!!" Credit where it's due, the misdirection was done really well. Between the swelling music, interspersed scenes of the main characters seemingly all eating poo poo, and Jon blocked by a dragon, I thought uh oh shits going to get bad.

The writers just valued the Arya surprise more than anything else. Having her kill the nk was a fine idea, but having her come out of nowhere is just lame. Maybe they'll explain how she did it in the next episode. But I kind of doubt it

She just ran super fast by the other white walkers. Go back and watch the scene. Immediately before the Arya jump from behind we get a shot of one of the White walkers up close and his hair blows up as if something went by him very fast. He starts to turn his head to see what it was and then it cuts to the scene of Arya jumping from behind.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ElGroucho posted:

Killing Dany off would cause a bigger outcry among 2020 centrist Democrat candidates than the record-breaking homeless and poverty levels eroding this country right now.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

ElGroucho posted:

All the people that named their kids Khaleesi are going to look like loving idiots.

I mean, they already do, but even moreso.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What if Daenerys died and then Jon gave his life to resurrect her, like book Beric did with Catelyn lol. Seems on-brand, but since the ability to do that hasn't been established in the show it's probably unlikely.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

tylersayten posted:

Was that in the books?
Don't know, never read them.

tylersayten posted:

The point still stands about Brienne, Jamie, etc. still living despite being surrounded by zombies attacking them.
Yeah, I'm not arguing that the whole desperate defense thing was done well. Far too much people standing their ground and apparently being overwhelmed, then being fine when we see them next. Should've replaced those shots with characters getting overwhelmed and retreating, which makes the same point while also establishing why those characters survived.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

ElGroucho posted:

Can you imagine the reaction if they had a female character do something like blow up a church.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Can you imagine if they had a popular female character strip naked and march around a city for everyone to leer at? The outrage would be out of control.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

No Wave posted:

Can you imagine if they had a popular female character strip naked and march around a city for everyone to leer at? The outrage would be out of control.

Man, between that, Sansa and Ramsay's wedding, and Shireen getting burnt, season five was really the low point for women on this show (as well as the show in general)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's funny they realized showing Davos was surviving a dozen zombies and about to die, over and over, was pointless so they just didn't show that

But then they did with everyone else

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Xanderkish posted:

Was this a really widespread reaction? It's hard for me to tell because the article doesn't link to the twitter accounts themselves (or maybe my phone isn't working properly displaying them), so I can't see how much the tweets were liked, or how many people were talking about it. I didn't hear about it in the news or the nerd sites I frequent.

Probably not a massive reaction but i guarantee some studio dev is like ooh guys maybe lets not do this harmless joke again because some vocal people got angry on twitter and a few news sites picked up on it, we dont want disney to come across as fatphobic

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

As Nero Danced posted:

All the people that named their kids Khaleesi

Why am I not surprised this is a thing

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Just Chamber posted:

Probably not a massive reaction but i guarantee some studio dev is like ooh guys maybe lets not do this harmless joke again because some vocal people got angry on twitter and a few news sites picked up on it, we dont want disney to come across as fatphobic

I dunno, I feel like most studio execs wouldn't care if the movie made bank and got rave reviews. Studio execs don't exactly have a reputation for being overly conscientious, so I think I'm fair assumming they're not doing that until I see it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Deified Data posted:

The worst part of the episode to you was the show actually being consistent w/r/t NK's weaknesses?

The whole "we need dragon glass" plotline was already redundant enough for all the good it did, if NK could be roasted alive by fire the fight would have been more laughably simple than it already was. He's not a Pokemon, it makes sense why an elemental of ice and cold would laugh off fire if he were strong enough.

The reason obsidian and valyrian steel is special is because of dragonflame. Normal fire not hurting him is fine but him being immune to the thing that created his weaknesses is lame.

All it took to make that scene not dumb would be making it clearly, visibly obvious that the NK was parting the flames with some unseen force like that one Walker did at Hardhome.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

D-Pad posted:

She just ran super fast by the other white walkers. Go back and watch the scene. Immediately before the Arya jump from behind we get a shot of one of the White walkers up close and his hair blows up as if something went by him very fast. He starts to turn his head to see what it was and then it cuts to the scene of Arya jumping from behind.

Sprinting that fast sounds unrealistic. We don't even know Arya's 40 time.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Who's faster, Arya or Sonic?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Xanderkish posted:

Can you imagine the reaction if they had a female character do something like blow up a church.

No Wave posted:

Cersei is the villain. She's been the bad guy since day 1. People don't feel bad for the villain. There's morons out there, (and in this thread) that still think Dany is the good guy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

Cersei is the villain. She's been the bad guy since day 1. People don't feel bad for the villain. There's morons out there, (and in this thread, and in the writers' room) that still think Dany is the good guy.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Cersei's my favorite character, I care a lot :colbert:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If the show has the balls to pull off Mad Queen Dany after dropping nearly all the book development toward her potentially being insane, tbh it will make up for a lot of the dumb decisions D&D have made.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just Chamber posted:

Every inevitable prequel, sequel and spin off. They dont want to leave the audience with a bad taste in their mouths, they're too scared to not end on a happy note. If they have an episode like the red wedding in the next 3 episodes where a beloved character dies I 100% bet there will be articles like "Killing ____ was too far and was really upsetting". Like say Ayra just died in the next couple eps after she tries to kill the Mountain and he's just so strong that he breaks her back or something (which in the old Game of Thrones would totally happen), people would boycott the show, call it too cruel etc, when ostensibly thats what the show has been about from the start, real consequences for mistakes, but this isnt the same show anymore so that wont happen.

This was a show where they killed an unarmed pregnant lady and it became one of the most popular and talked about episode ever. The writers would probably do everything to get that amount of buzz again.
and if you've watched seven seasons of GoT you're not going to stop now when there's three episodes left, no matter what happen.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just show a couple of shots of Arya moving about the rooftops all Assassin's Creed style and make it clear that nobody sees her in the chaos of the battle. Have her notice Jamie and Jon and Gendry in their predicaments and maybe have a fake out where she's going to try to save one of them.

I'm bouncing back on my opinion of the episode; I think that all of the core beats of the storyboard are fine, it's just poorly sequenced and explained to the viewer.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

esperterra posted:

If the show has the balls to pull off Mad Queen Dany after dropping nearly all the book development toward her potentially being insane, tbh it will make up for a lot of the dumb decisions D&D have made.

I mean, the only person who knew her before she became a megalomaniac just died (and maybe one of her dragons too?), I suppose that could maybe trigger something. It wouldn't necessarily be good or believable, mind you, but it's not completely out of the question.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

final episode, intro sequence fades to black..

Written By
Scott Buck

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
This was also the show whose first episode concluded with a man pushing a child out a window and paralyzing him for life, and then the man getting a whole redemption arc until he became one of the show favorites.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Crow Jane posted:

I mean, the only person who knew her before she became a megalomaniac just died (and maybe one of her dragons too?), I suppose that could maybe trigger something. It wouldn't necessarily be good or believable, mind you, but it's not completely out of the question.

I think having Tyrion's obvious doubts at Dany burning both Tarlys last year is a minor stepping stone toward 'Dany starts burning traitors after they defeat Cersei and everyone realizes she's kinda nuts' but other than that she hasn't had many mad queen-esque scenes since she took Meereen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

I mean, the only person who knew her before she became a megalomaniac just died (and maybe one of her dragons too?), I suppose that could maybe trigger something. I

Yeah, Jorah was her Jiminy Cricket and now that he's gone she's got no reason to even pretend to be the nice guy.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If Jaime did that in season 5 to Bran I’m sure he would say something a lot worse than “the things I do for love” after

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

The reason obsidian and valyrian steel is special is because of dragonflame. Normal fire not hurting him is fine but him being immune to the thing that created his weaknesses is lame.

All it took to make that scene not dumb would be making it clearly, visibly obvious that the NK was parting the flames with some unseen force like that one Walker did at Hardhome.

I don't know, I interpreted it more as "dragon fire is necessary to properly forge the materials we need to kill white walkers" and not "dragon fire itself kills white walkers"

Kind of like water is required to forge them as well but I would not say "white walkers are weak to water". I assume dragon fire just burns hotter than a normal forge.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deified Data posted:

I don't know, I interpreted it more as "dragon fire is necessary to properly forge the materials we need to kill white walkers" and not "dragon fire itself kills white walkers"

Kind of like water is required to forge them as well but I would not say "white walkers are weak to water". I assume dragon fire just burns hotter than a normal forge.

Maybe he is???? I've never seen them in the rain. :tinfoil:

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
S1: Winter is Coming.
S2: Winter is Coming.
S3: Winter is Coming.
S4: Winter is Coming.
S5: Winter is Coming.
S6: Winter is Coming.
S7: Winter is Coming.
S8: Just kidding lol.

"I would sue D&D for stealing my bad ideas, but Disney just hired them to be my coworkers."

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I just had a thought. At the end of season 7, Jon and Dany's initial request was that Cersei withdraw her armies and not attack them. She didn't actually move against the North or Dany's conquered territories while they were preoccupied with the army of the dead. Even though she lied when she pledged her forces to fight the zombies, she didn't actually do any more than they wanted her to in the first place.

Granted that's mainly because she didn't have time to move against them because the way time and travel works in this show now, but still.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I thought Dany was barren now after the problems with her baby early in the series. That's why Jon and Sansa's baby will end up on the Iron Throne.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fart Amplifier posted:

She is facing off against a supernatural assassin and an omniscient person.

Bran's story pretty much ends with the NK, he should pretty much just be all

like the old 3ER after the battle.

Alternately the series ends with Jaime throwing Cersi out a window after she catches him loving Bran, could go either way at this point

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Actual spoiler involving recent discussion Dany does in fact go too far and get killed by Jon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

tylersayten posted:

S1: Winter is Coming.
S2: Winter is Coming.
S3: Winter is Coming.
S4: Winter is Coming.
S5: Winter is Coming.
S6: Winter is Coming.
S7: Winter is Coming.
S8: Just kidding lol.

"I would sue D&D for stealing my bad ideas, but Disney just hired them to be my coworkers."

I thought Last Jedi was okay, but after "The Long Night" I kind of understand what the people who hated it so much felt.