Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Dragons can still be killed so flying alone to King's Landing is pretty much a guaranteed suicide mission even if he manages to cause some damage first. It would be a real bonehead move for the Night King to split his forces just so he can swerve us, the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Kawalimus posted:

What's the drawback of leaving a skeleton(ha ha) crew at Winterfell? What are they gonna do build a new wall and seal them to the south? Cersei is pretty ill-prepared for all this and isn't armed to the teeth with dragonglass weapons. Plus they got that whole iron fleet and Golden Company for extra manpower for the dead.

If they wanna get real stupid with it they can have undead Cersei be part of the attack on winterfell! hah

Also what rules apply to the dragon I can't remember--is he an undead wight type or is he a proper Other/WW. It might yet be hard to kill that thing.

If one dude on one dragon ends up being OP enough to take out the entire south on its own then it will be incredibly silly if/when the plucky folks at Winterfell are still able to manage some kind of victory by the end.

Also how would Night King know how prepared Cersei is or isn't?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Kawalimus posted:

It won't be just the dragon it'll be more dead dudes/WW. Who knows how NK knows things. He's a magic dude. He's gotta know something.

Night King is marching his whole surprise army with him to King's Landing? That's like a two month round trip at least, especially for something that size. I think Winterfell might think something is up with the skeleton crew staring at them for that long.

Raccooon posted:

It does seem significant that they didn't show the NK at the end of the last episode. He def not at Winterfell.

They didn't show Rhaegal or Drogon either. It just means this episode's budget was all spent on Ghost.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Comfortador posted:

I'm confused why everyone thinks that anyone that has ever died can be magically raised by the NK on the spot. The bodies in the crypt are long passed decayed or just in pieces. I remember hands popping out of the ground at the tree with Jojen and whatnot but I thought that was a different situation. Seeing skeletons (remember Robert's rebellion was like what, 20 years ago?) pop out of the ground to fight would be some Army of Darkness level cheesy poo poo.

Night King would also be way OP if that were the case. He and one dragon can take out an entire city, and then that city joins him, and then he does this dozens of times all across Westeros, and also anyone that has ever died anywhere in Westeros also joins his army, and that army can travel thousands of miles in a day completely undetected. It props him up to such a degree that whatever method the good guys use to stop him will have to be out of left field and unlike anything that's been shown to be within their power before.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

CornHolio posted:

I wonder if the Night King and his White Walkers have to control the undead, so they're actually limited by the amount they can have at any one time. So they couldn't snowball one city at a time until they're unstoppable.

That's probably how it will end, tbh. Kill NK somehow and all the raised dead instantly collapse, so it won't matter if they're absurdly outnumbered at the time.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Howland Reed's single purpose to the story was being the only dude alive who knew Jon's secret but welp

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

ruddiger posted:

In the books that particular faceless man (the one who helped Arya and Co. at Harrenhall) is last seen in Oldtown, infiltrating the Citadel where Sam's also at.

I always thought the Citadel was going to factor more into the plot, like the maesters have been secretly manipulating things all along for nefarious reasons. It felt like the books were starting to go down the road. I got excited when Sam first gets there in Season 6 and you see their massive chandelier is the same one hanging over the game board in the opening credits, like a clue that's been in front of our eyes all along!

Then it turns out they're all just cranky old jerks who won't let Sam read books.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I'm more disappointed we never got Victarion and his cyborg arm. Was hyped for more Greyjoy stuff from the books that we never ended up getting.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Chernabog posted:

Two theories I have:
-The dragonglass spear has been chekhov's gunned too much for it not to kill someone important and since the only notable characters in the undead army are the NK and the dragon my bet is on Arya killing the NK. It is also possible the dragon glass is a red herring and the spear is used to kill somebody else. If this were the case I think the hound will die in the battle and ask Arya to kill the mountain as his dying wish, in which case the spear is still relevant but not in the way you expected. This has the bonus of closing both their arcs neatly.

-From a narrative standpoint I think Jamie's arc can only end in a confrontation with Cersei where he chooses to become the king(queen)killer again despite knowing the burden he will have to carry because of it.

A friend of mine mentioned a line Arya has back when she's palling around with the Hound where she says something like "Some day I'm going to stab you in the eye so it comes out the back of your head" which he thought felt super specific. His theory is that we'll get the Clegane Bowl as scheduled but afterwards (or as a result of) Hound dies and gets white walkered, and Arya will have to take him out then. She'll get to cross another name off of her list but it will break her heart to have to do it.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm leaning more into the idea that Tyrion's going to do a treachery before the season's out. It won't be episode 3, but he's being set up now as being untrustworthy and weirdly petulant about the Jon/Dany pairing. I don't think it's great characterization but I'm reminded of his line "I never bet against my family" from way the hell long ago. Maybe he'll be intercepted by Bronn beforehand?

I really can't see him doing anything like that until at least the Night King and his army are toast. He's smart enough to understand that that's the bigger threat.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I just remembered that Bran was off the show for an entire season because they had nothing for him to do and that seems so weird to me now

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Zombie Mountain still has Joffrey's head, right? Can't wait for that reveal

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

christmas boots posted:

It was all theatre. The whole purpose of the battle was to lure the dragons over but also the Night King didn’t want to make the deception too obvious

Has NK ever been shown to be this tactical genius? The only strategy we've seen of his is an undead zerg rush.

Also no real way for him to know that there are dragons on Dragonstone and that attacking these particular Northerners would draw them out.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

NK probably doesn't know Essos exists because they don't have a north. Just a west, south, and a whole bunch of east.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Randyll Tarly fought for the Targaryens, then bent the knee to the Baratheons, then fought for different Baratheons when he found out the original Baratheons were actually Lannisters, then he fought for those Lannisters, and then was burned to death when for the first time in his life he refused to switch teams.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The thought of Grey Robb rising up and terrorizing the folks in the crypt is kind of awesome, but I would assume the Starks would give him his original head back before burying him.

Does the show ever say what happened to Catelyn's body? I suppose this is their last chance to give us Stoneheart, even if she's only around long enough for Tyrion to get his revenge.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The only real way for it to end is for them to do some kind of hivemind deal where once you kill the Night King the rest of his army stops working at collapses. The Walkers' powers have been built up too much to be anything the living could ever realistically stop.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Sorry, guess it was just something I had assumed and I forgot it was from it being shown before.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Maybe build your giant fire wall on the outside of your troops idk

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Lol lyanna

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

How is there even a quiet part of the castle at this point?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Melisandre is Syrio confirmed

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

You fool! Fire can't melt ice!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

WHAT

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

NightKing not being the final boss is a bit of a disappointment.

Did Grey Worm survive? I don't remember what happened to him.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

What army does Cersei have? Some Lannisters and some Greyjoys? Them versus the Winterfell leftovers is gonna be a letdown after that.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Jon kinda looked like a chump here. He should've gotten to slay a dragon at least if he wasn't gonna kill NK.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Sending out your cavalry as the first step of surviving a siege is a pretty dumb move but how about having the one guy magically controlling the entire army land in the middle of enemy territory mid-battle.

NK could've just had a nap at Craster's and came and got Bran in the morning

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

If Theon had waited like two minutes before his suicide charge he probably woulda been ok

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

If the show had just never brought Bran back after that season he wasn't on people would've probably wondered about it but I doubt anyone would've really cared

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

So the Golden Company, who we've only so far heard about and never seen in action, will be introduced and then defeated as the main antagonista in the final three episodes of an 8 season show

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I said come in! posted:

Well, we got Jorah for our important character death in my opinion. He has been on the show since episode 1.

Theon too

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Dany spent 5 seasons building an army of Dothraki and Unsullied and they lasted all of ten minutes

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You think Beric was pissed that R'hllor bought him back to life half a dozen odd times so he could be a minor speedbump for some zombies?

Why wouldn't Melisandre bring him back? He just got stabbed a bunch, same thing she brought Jon back from. Probably not even the worst death he's had.

Seems she could've brought back a bunch of folks before walking away.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

"Game of Thrones" is a better title for a TV Show than "A Song of Ice & Fire", so I get why they went with that instead. That said, it's the title of the first book because that's when the story was about political squabbles and who gets to sit the Iron Throne, and the rest of the books (and the show) have since gone on to be about navigating said Game effectively enough to prevent the end of the world.

Now that the end of the world has already been wrapped up, it's going to be difficult for me to go back to caring about birthrights or succession or whatever.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I'm running a death pool at work where you predict who's alive or dead by the end of the season, with a bonus column predicting if they become a white walker or not. I'm not grading the WW column yet because I suppose there could still be some swerve where that kind of thing is still possible, but that might just be me hoping.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Edd gave his life so that Jon could eventually run away from a crying Sam

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Did Dany and her army sacrificing themselves actually make any kind of a difference? Bran & Arya are at Winterfell regardless, and NK's death wasn't contingent on them needing to stall for enough time or weaken his army or anything. He's never really any less than full strength the entire time.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

PostNouveau posted:

Ned is about to get executed but right before Illin' Payne swings the sword Syrio Forel jumps in from offscreen and stabs him and then has some quippy one liner.

"I have a tongue and you don't"

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

No Wave posted:

Robb and Cait dying at the red wedding was special and memorable because it completely hosed up the conflict everyone thought the show was about.

One could argue that's exactly what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Fart Amplifier posted:

"Oh no! The undead are killing themselves to cross our fire trench! If only we had a dragon nearby to repel them!"

"Why didn't we put our dudes with spears on the inside of our fire trench!"