Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Data Graham posted:

Hahaha I don't know why I expected there to be holes cut out.
I lifted the edge of one and cleaned the paint to make sure it was going to match.
I knew there were no holes drilled because I could see from the inside of the hood.
Someone on either IRC or snapchat suggested I cut the squares out and install glass so the weirdo engine could be admired...

bolind posted:

:same:

I have super mixed feelings on the scoops. They’re terrible and non-functional, but they’re also executed somewhat well... ultimately glad to see them gone tho.

Anywhere they’d fit on the Attex?

Under the tires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

chrisgt posted:

I lifted the edge of one and cleaned the paint to make sure it was going to match.
I knew there were no holes drilled because I could see from the inside of the hood.
Someone on either IRC or snapchat suggested I cut the squares out and install glass so the weirdo engine could be admired...

Under the tires?

Cut the holes and put scoops made of clear plexiglass on.

I apparently have bad taste and liked the scoops, but it does look good with them off too.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I can't believe so many people thought those scoops actually did something. Have you people never seen the classic stick-on Lund scoops?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I can't believe so many people thought those scoops actually did something. Have you people never seen the classic stick-on Lund scoops?

Classic as in classically terrible. Usually seen in the wild only on full-sized trucks. However, the worst presentation is when they're installed reversed on a Pontiac.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

meatpimp posted:

Classic as in classically terrible. Usually seen in the wild only on full-sized trucks. However, the worst presentation is when they're installed reversed on a Pontiac.

Full-sized trucks, mini trucks, coupes, sedans, right side, wrong side, BACKWARDS, I've seen them on everything.

God bless the midwest :shepicide:

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
So are you going to put them on the Metro?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Kick-Puncher posted:

On the sides behind the doors, like brake-cooling parachutesducts

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

chrisgt posted:

I think it would be perfect towing the attex on its trailer. Just sayin...

I think I get more looks driving the Metro on the interstate than the biturbo... looks of "holy poo poo, how are you not dead?!"
Also, it has a totally baller radio with both CD and cassette players...

Is it the good Metro, the 1.0L 3cyl 5 speed manual, or is it one of the bad ones with an automatic?

The manual 1.0L had an EPA rating of 50 highway and it was not a joke, you could actually hit that. The automatic transmission took more than 10mpg off that, and made the car completely gutless, which they eventually compensated for by giving it a bigger engine or some dumb thing like that.

The 1.0 manual was actually moderately fun to drive around town. No real handling, of course, but it could accelerate much faster from 0-30 than it had any right to. The car weighed about nothing, you had plenty of gears to work with, and the engine redlined at something outrageous like 8k or 9k rpm.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

BobHoward posted:

Is it the good Metro, the 1.0L 3cyl 5 speed manual, or is it one of the bad ones with an automatic?

The manual 1.0L had an EPA rating of 50 highway and it was not a joke, you could actually hit that. The automatic transmission took more than 10mpg off that, and made the car completely gutless, which they eventually compensated for by giving it a bigger engine or some dumb thing like that.

The 1.0 manual was actually moderately fun to drive around town. No real handling, of course, but it could accelerate much faster from 0-30 than it had any right to. The car weighed about nothing, you had plenty of gears to work with, and the engine redlined at something outrageous like 8k or 9k rpm.

Yea, 3 cylinder manual. Obviously doesn't have a tach, but I got it up to 65 in 3rd gear before I chickened out and shifted... I could just plug my scan gauge into the obd2 port, but that's cheating.
And yea, it's a zippier car than it has any right to be. I'm honestly fairly indifferent about what I drive. It goes and stops and stuff. I put 6 gallons in the tank to go from 1/4 to full so yea, win.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Dagen H posted:

Quoted for a Real Good Idea™️

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I think the Metro was the only OBD-II certified throttle body injection car made. Hilariously the G10 had multipoint fuel injection in the Sprint/Cultus turbo models in 1988, just went back to TBI after that until the end.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 29, 2019

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

I think the Metro was the only OBD-II certified throttle body injection car made. Hilariously the G10 had multipoint fuel injection in the Sprint/Cultus turbo models in 1988, just went back to TBI after that until the end.

Didn't GM use TBI on at least the V6 in trucks through 98 or 99?

A few cars went to MPFI for some turbo/special edition and then went back to TBI. Chevy certainly did it, subaru did it, and I'm sure there are others not floating around in the whirlpool of useless information in my head.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

I got my heatgun out and scored some trophies.

The paint under them was less faded, but otherwise not terrible.
Tomorrow I'll pick up an eraser wheel and some googone if I can remember. I think I'm also getting my Mercedes injectors in the mail tomorrow so it should be a busy evening.

All things considered, it looks WAY better. I won't be embarrassed to drive it in public anymore.

Oh, thank you. Lund stick-on crap is a pox on cars.

Kick-Puncher posted:

Dagen H posted:

nth-ing this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
more like the intake ducts on a ZAZ-996

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I haven't been doing nothing, I've just been too busy and forgot to computer.
I got the injectors for the mercedes.

They look way better than the rusted piles of garbage that came out. They also seem to WORK better.

I cut the fingers off gloves and put them over the opening when I thread them in. That way I don't risk getting dirt down the injectors when I'm torquing them to spec and working under the hood.

I hooked everything up, left the lines loose at the injectors and cranked the engine for about 30 seconds to clear the air. Tightened up the injector lines and it lit off the instant I engaged the starter. And boy does it run smooth. No more injector nailing or knocking, no more stumbling at idle, none of it.
After I got back from a drive it still had a shake at idle so I did the second part of my tuneup, replaced the rack damper bolt (which can only be done with the engine hot). Fired it up to adjust the damper and the engine smoothed out to a perfectly even idle.

The rack damper bolt is a bolt with a spring and a pin in it. At idle the injection rack (or governor or something) stops up against the spring to dampen oscillations in the engine. Over time the spring loses its tension or breaks and stops doing its job well. The one that came out was REALLY soft, I installed the upgraded bolt with a heavier spring. It's a fine balance, not enough tension and the engine oscillates at idle, too much tension and it won't start. That's why it has to be adjusted when hot.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Man that's a great idea with the fingers, I usually leave the hard lines on but that can be a pain if they're in the way. New injectors are the best thing for anything with some miles on it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

shy boy from chess club posted:

Man that's a great idea with the fingers, I usually leave the hard lines on but that can be a pain if they're in the way. New injectors are the best thing for anything with some miles on it.

These screw in like spark plugs, so there's no choice but to put a socket over the injectors to torque them down. I figured that would be the most effective way not to get poo poo down in the clean hole.

Scoops and side stickon things off, wax on...

Whack off...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Man that looks good. Before you cleaned it the first time I thought the paint was all fuckered.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It’s a very handsome car

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Real nice car you've got there sir. Way better without the tasteless scoops.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Grakkus posted:

Real nice car you've got there sir. Way better without the tasteless scoops.

Polished without scoops really does look great.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

chrisgt posted:

Didn't GM use TBI on at least the V6 in trucks through 98 or 99?

'95 was the last year for TBI, and then only some applications. GM introduced the spider injection starting in '92, and it was pretty universal by the Vortec refresh in '96 - coincidentally the same year they introduced OBD-II.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I know it's probably farther down the road but do they make fun suspension parts for those cars? That wheel gap is making me sad and that thing slightly lower would look really good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

rndmnmbr posted:

'95 was the last year for TBI, and then only some applications. GM introduced the spider injection starting in '92, and it was pretty universal by the Vortec refresh in '96 - coincidentally the same year they introduced OBD-II.

Isn't the "spider" a tiny step above TBI? IIRC it's basically 2 sets of injectors, right? So on a V8, you'd have 4 injectors fire at once as a batch, then the other 4, regardless of what cylinders were actually firing the plugs?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's two things at play there. TBI versus multipoint, and batch fire versus sequential fire. Spiders are definitely multipoint, but I don't know if they're batch fire or sequential. Probably varies based on year anyway, super early GenII LT1s were still batch fire like the TPI.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The TBI might have survived on the 3500 trucks for a little longer I know they hilariously took forever to get an airbag. Whatever this is about handsome italian turbos.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

shy boy from chess club posted:

I know it's probably farther down the road but do they make fun suspension parts for those cars? That wheel gap is making me sad and that thing slightly lower would look really good.

I was thinking that some new wheels and some slimmer bumpers would really set this thing off

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The spider injection early on was, as I recall on the 4.3, two injectors, then moved up to 6 actual injectors, just sort of remote mounted. Our 2000 Astro has 6 injectors. Not sure on the V8s - it’s been too long.
There was even a retrofit kit once upon a time with slim injectors that fit where the pintle valves at the ends of the spiders go, replacing them along with the spider and original injectors.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I don't usually post much about cars I work on that aren't mine, but everyone loves to laugh at my self-inflicted automotive pain. This weekend I was helping slow_is_fast with the land cruiser and I broke a bolt off removing the valve cover. It was sticking out half an inch and then I broke it off again with visegrips -- Flush with the head.
Stacked some beads on that bitch and out she came.

I put some work into cleaning an organization of my garage because I have a ton of maintenance on the yes.

Note: I do not live, nor have I ever lived in Vermont. That was there when I moved in.

What has to get done...
98 subaru (wifecar):
All fluids.
Shifter bushings (except I'm not gonna do those because I loving hate that job on subarus (and pretty much anything)).
The brakes are mushy and it's low on fluid...
The mount for the front swaybar is broken off somehow.
There's another hole in the rocker pannel.
It has an exhaust leak.

Toyota:
Timing belt and related spinny bits.
Serp belt and related spinny bits.
Water pump.
AT fluid and filter.
Both diffs and Tcase oil.
Grease all the grease holes.

Mercedes:
AT fluid and filter.
Figure out why aircon juice leaked out, add more aircon juice.

Metro:
Find a used AC tensioning thing. I'm not sure how the system works, it's missing the tensioning bracket.
Figure out why that was removed and fix the AC.
Timing belt an tensioner. A Gates timing kit for this car is $35, so...
Change trans oil.
Replace wiper blades.

Biturbo:
:lol:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

AI > chrisgt maintains a fleet of the most undesirable shitboxes on earth
(except the mercedes, it's almost worth money)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

chrisgt posted:

I don't usually post much about cars I work on that aren't mine, but everyone loves to laugh at my self-inflicted automotive pain. This weekend I was helping slow_is_fast with the land cruiser and I broke a bolt off removing the valve cover. It was sticking out half an inch and then I broke it off again with visegrips -- Flush with the head.
Stacked some beads on that bitch and out she came.

I put some work into cleaning an organization of my garage because I have a ton of maintenance on the yes.

Note: I do not live, nor have I ever lived in Vermont. That was there when I moved in.

What has to get done...
98 subaru (wifecar):
All fluids.
Shifter bushings (except I'm not gonna do those because I loving hate that job on subarus (and pretty much anything)).
The brakes are mushy and it's low on fluid...
The mount for the front swaybar is broken off somehow.
There's another hole in the rocker pannel.
It has an exhaust leak.

Toyota:
Timing belt and related spinny bits.
Serp belt and related spinny bits.
Water pump.
AT fluid and filter.
Both diffs and Tcase oil.
Grease all the grease holes.

Mercedes:
AT fluid and filter.
Figure out why aircon juice leaked out, add more aircon juice.

Metro:
Find a used AC tensioning thing. I'm not sure how the system works, it's missing the tensioning bracket.
Figure out why that was removed and fix the AC.
Timing belt an tensioner. A Gates timing kit for this car is $35, so...
Change trans oil.
Replace wiper blades.

Biturbo:
:lol:

Is the Subaru the 2.5L or 2.2L?

The first timing / head gasket job I ever did was on a ‘98 Legacy GT...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

HandlingByJebus posted:

Is the Subaru the 2.5L or 2.2L?

The first timing / head gasket job I ever did was on a ‘98 Legacy GT...

It's a 2.2, but it's a 98 so it's interference. If you'd just said you had an ej25d I would have gone and assumed you did the headgaskets. Then probably had to replace the engine 20k miles later because it lost a rod bearing.... maybe I've owned too many (at least a dozen) subarus so I'm jaded...
When I was a mechanic I did at least one of those headgasket jobs a week, usually more.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

We’re not laughing at you, we’re laughing crying with you.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

chrisgt posted:

It's a 2.2, but it's a 98 so it's interference. If you'd just said you had an ej25d I would have gone and assumed you did the headgaskets. Then probably had to replace the engine 20k miles later because it lost a rod bearing.... maybe I've owned too many (at least a dozen) subarus so I'm jaded...
When I was a mechanic I did at least one of those headgasket jobs a week, usually more.

It was a twin-cam 2.5, yup. Never spun a bearing on that one, but did do the headgaskets twice. Had cams and some head work done along with a nice exhaust though, that car sounded great and it was pretty quick.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I've heard issues with toyotas and bilstien rear shocks. Issues of the mounting eyes breaking off, the rod end breaking, etc. Nobody has been able to give me solid proof as to why this is, or if it's even just a few isolated cases that everyone is bouncing around the internet. Today, however, I received my new bilstein shocks for the sequoia. I now know why people are having issues. I wrote a nice letter to rockauto and sent some pictures. Rather than rewrite the wheel, this is what I sent them.

Dear RockAuto Customer Support,

I am writing in regards to order REDACTED, specifically Bilstein part 24-241656.

Upon inspection, I found several manufacturing defects that render the parts unsafe for use.
The welds securing the mounting eye to the shock body are subpar and of serious safety concern.

The primary area of concern is shown in Figure_1.jpg.

Shown in Figure_2.jpg is cracking and complete lack of fusion in the weld.

In Figure_3.jpg cracking, no penetration, and severe undercut are seen in the weld.

Figure_4.jpg shows a cold weld with undercut and lack of fusion.

I use this vehicle to tow and haul heavy loads, thus for the safety of both myself and those around me I do not feel safe installing these critical suspension components.

I therefore request that you please send me a return shipping label and full refund for the two Bilstien shocks, part number 24-241656 from my order REDACTED.

If you have further questions, please reach out to me by email or phone: 420-6969.

Thank you
chrisgt

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

chrisgt posted:

I've heard issues with toyotas and bilstien rear shocks. Issues of the mounting eyes breaking off, the rod end breaking, etc. Nobody has been able to give me solid proof as to why this is, or if it's even just a few isolated cases that everyone is bouncing around the internet. Today, however, I received my new bilstein shocks for the sequoia. I now know why people are having issues. I wrote a nice letter to rockauto and sent some pictures. Rather than rewrite the wheel, this is what I sent them.

Dear RockAuto Customer Support,

I am writing in regards to order REDACTED, specifically Bilstein part 24-241656.

Upon inspection, I found several manufacturing defects that render the parts unsafe for use.
The welds securing the mounting eye to the shock body are subpar and of serious safety concern.

The primary area of concern is shown in Figure_1.jpg.

Shown in Figure_2.jpg is cracking and complete lack of fusion in the weld.

In Figure_3.jpg cracking, no penetration, and severe undercut are seen in the weld.

Figure_4.jpg shows a cold weld with undercut and lack of fusion.

I use this vehicle to tow and haul heavy loads, thus for the safety of both myself and those around me I do not feel safe installing these critical suspension components.

I therefore request that you please send me a return shipping label and full refund for the two Bilstien shocks, part number 24-241656 from my order REDACTED.

If you have further questions, please reach out to me by email or phone: 420-6969.

Thank you
chrisgt

:stonklol:

Jesus. Christ.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Honestly, I'd send that to bilstein too. I've found actual manufacturers to care more than parts houses when I've discovered severe manufacturing issues.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You should email that poo poo to Bilstein too.

I wonder if they're counterfeit.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I know Bilstein had some manufacturing issues and a lot of their shocks were out of stock for a long time. I wonder if this is the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HandlingByJebus posted:

:stonklol:

Jesus. Christ.

God drat those are some serious apprentice marks.

Surely most of this poo poo is being done by machines now, and it looks like they aren't maintaining them worth a poo poo.

Thirding sending this to Bilstein also.