Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's also just a massive hassle for the branch if someone shows up unannounced and asks for 20% of their daily float. They need to order cash daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Alchenar posted:

It's entirely down to policy but generally anything over £500 without notice triggers HOLY poo poo FRAUD/DRUGS sirens. Also it's a ballache for the branch if one persons hoover up all the cash they keep on site without notice. Asking for the limit is also a bit 'oh wow this guy is getting played by fraudsters' warning.

I'm hoping you are joking about stuffing the mattress but just fill in the paperwork.

Thanks for all of the replies. :-)

I went in to ask for it so i could pick it up the next week so no hoovering intended, learned to do that in the past as i used to make those sized withdrawals a couple of times a year.

Guess i will have go smaller & more frequently.

I'm in Northern Ireland and with every bank here printing their own money i always preferred Bank Of England notes for the larger denominations.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I had to get 2k out in cash recently to pay for my dog and the cashier was super chill and just did it as two separate transactions. So tell them you're buying a dog/multiple dogs.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah I mean when I've needed to withdraw big wads of cash I've always just said what it's for and it's been fine. Usually for stuff like a deposit for a tenancy

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

To be fair, "Hi I'd like a large sum of money in £50 notes please, no I don't want to tell you what its for" does scream drugs and/or money laundering at first glance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

To be fair, "Hi I'd like a large sum of money in £50 notes please, no I don't want to tell you what its for" does scream drugs and/or money laundering at first glance.

In NI could also scream small arms.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Could also be buying more wood chips

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Alchenar posted:

Could also be buying more wood chips

You know my homeland all too well. :blush:

Wonder if the government was worried about a run on the banks due to the impending Brexit next year as well as nefarious withdrawals for dastardly deeds.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Not sure how having your brexitmarks in paper format will help you buy a £5,000,000,000 loaf of bread

Turn your money into something that’s going to become more valuable, like loo paper or eu passports

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

During lockdown we managed to save £10k due to not having kids in Nursery.

I’ve kept £5K in a savings account with my bank, paying an exciting 0.1% if I don’t withdraw from it, to act as my emergency funds. The other £5K I’ve put in NS&I bonds, because I’m massively risk averse and don’t like the idea of losing money.

In light of the pandemic, I’m considering my life. I work in Oil in Scotland, and I’m acutely aware that I probably won’t be able to finish out my life here, I don’t want to work abroad - so I’ll probably need to change careers, and take a pay cut. So I need to build up savings which could help, and I don’t think I’ll make much savings with a 1.25% NS&I rate.

I know I need to not be so conservative, but I don’t like the idea of my savings being worth less than when I put them in.

Any advice on changing my thinking?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We need to talk about timescales for those life events. If you need that 5k in the next 5 years then doing anything with it is a bad idea. If you don't, stick it in an isa index fund.

Long term the market goes up, but short term volatility happens and all the reasons why you are worried about your job are the same reasons why the next few years could be bumpy for stocks.

If risk free money were a thing then everyone would be doing it (and index funds are the closest thing, which is why they're exploding in popularity).

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
If you've saved 10k in four? months maybe be a stay at home parent because Christ that's a lot of money in childcare per year.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Sloth Life posted:

If you've saved 10k in four? months maybe be a stay at home parent because Christ that's a lot of money in childcare per year.

We’re 1.3k a month in childcare costs, and that’s only 3 days a week for two kids. We’ve got two older kids in school, and I worked out how much I’ve spent on nursery fees to date and it’s ridiculous.

(I know 1.3x4 =/= 10, but it’s coupled with savings on activities not on, not driving, not eating out at all).

Timescales are probably in the next 10 years for needing to change career, I should be ok where I am for a little while (famous last words).

Oodles fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 1, 2020

Dakha
Feb 18, 2002

Fun Shoe
Yeah we were shocked when we realised that nursery costs more than private school.

Unlike some of our friends, we didn’t have to pay any nursery fees during lockdown which was great (and the difference for a part time nanny in the interim was considerably less than we used to spend eating and drinking out). Having said that, for the 10 days our nursery has been open, my child has been at home sick for more than half. At 10 days exclusion every time my toddler gets a temperature, nurseries just aren’t viable right now.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Ours have been open about the same time, but we’ve asked to defer the start to when the schools are in. My wife got furloughed and don’t see the point paying for nursery when she’s getting paid to stay at home.

Our kids are back in nursery next week, clubs are starting up again too, so there goes all chances of saving. It was nice while it lasted.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Sloth Life posted:

Ok so things as they stand on Jan 1, in order of priority.

Mortgage: 30,430.10, (approx 300pm on svr rate)
Aim: overpay overpay overpay.

Current 27,242.57, rate dropped so normal payment is overpaying! Yes!

Credit card: 3,421.18
Aim: stop spending on it God drat!

Current 812.92, still spending but paying immediately, DD going strong, 4 months left.

Emergency savs: 151.
Aim: 1k to cover 1 month outgoings.

Current: 2017.23, thanks to covid and Brexit 1k isn't going to cut it so now aim is 5k.

Original amounts from original post,current amounts in bold as of today. Sorry I borked the format.

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 8, 2020

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008
I'll likely start looking at buying a flat in the next year (depending on the state of things). Is there some kind of guide out there that will hold my hand throughout the process? I'd like to start learning about it now so when the time comes I'll have a good view of the landscape.

I'm in Scotland (The Burgh) if that changes anything!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sloth Life posted:

Original amounts from original post,current amounts in bold as of today. Sorry I borked the format.

Nice work! It'll be really sweet when that CC debt is gone

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Impromptu Flip posted:

I'll likely start looking at buying a flat in the next year (depending on the state of things). Is there some kind of guide out there that will hold my hand throughout the process? I'd like to start learning about it now so when the time comes I'll have a good view of the landscape.

There you go: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/cost-timeline-for-buying-a-property-in-scotland

If you are looking at a new build then the developer will hold your hand through the whole process (not to be nice, because they want to take your money).

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Impromptu Flip posted:

The only advice I can give is the all conveyancers are utter dogshit, because if they were half competent legal professionals they would not be doing conveyancing so be prepared for that.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Raffles posted:

The only advice I can give is the all conveyancers are utter dogshit, because if they were half competent legal professionals they would not be doing conveyancing so be prepared for that.

Big confirm. I can only suggest getting the cheapest conveyancer because you will spend your entire time double checking their work no matter how expensive they are. The one I had was a complete moron, used my name as the street name on the contract, twice, spent 2months waiting for me to reply to a mail they didn't send without following up, and tried billing me for sdlt after being told on four separate occasions I was a first time buyer.

I recommend sending them one question at a time and repeating the question until they answer to your satisfaction. Mine would respond to one question out of every five if that and usually only after being prompted. They are completely useless.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'd also suggest not going for one of the big conveyancing firms. We've had much better luck with smaller companies

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Don't buy a flat, buy a house. Flats, leaseholds, management companies, it's a massive bundle of crap. Avoid if you can!

Get a personal recommendation for solicitor and conveyencer, do not use the Estate Agents preferred companies.

Do not trust a single thing that the EA says without full written proof.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Sloth Life posted:

Don't buy a flat, buy a house. Flats, leaseholds, management companies, it's a massive bundle of crap. Avoid if you can!

Get a personal recommendation for solicitor and conveyencer, do not use the Estate Agents preferred companies.

Do not trust a single thing that the EA says without full written proof.

Flats are nigh-on unpurchaseable at the moment anyway, depending on the size. Post-Grenfell, any building over a certain height requires the "ESW1" form to confirm the presence of cladding, or lack thereof. Lenders will not lend to properties until that form has been signed off. Complicating matters further, most lenders are choosing to require that form for buildings *under* the height requirement as well. This form is taking, on average, ~6 months to get issued depending on works required etc.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Impromptu Flip posted:

Great name post combo! Just a rule of thumb of mine, but dont buy a new build or anything built in the last 30 years. Cant speak for Scotland but English house quality has really gone downhill and the size of the rooms seems to have shrunk too. i went for late 80s ex council myself.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Breath Ray posted:

Great name post combo! Just a rule of thumb of mine, but dont buy a new build or anything built in the last 30 years. Cant speak for Scotland but English house quality has really gone downhill and the size of the rooms seems to have shrunk too. i went for late 80s ex council myself.

Also be careful the other way. Mine is 1850s and while spacious and very unlikely to fall down it's has it's own unending host of problems.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Also be careful the other way. Mine is 1850s and while spacious and very unlikely to fall down it's has it's own unending host of problems.

Yeah, ours is of similar age and hasn't had any serious love in a very long time. Peeling off lining paper and finding people's names scrawled with dates like 1870 and 1855 was fun though, people have always been massive dorks :unsmith:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Remortgaged yesterday, going from 2 year fixed at 2.84% to 5 year fixed at 1.71%, and dropping £100 off my monthly payment. Thanks covid!

Sloth Life posted:

I should really do this sort of goal-based review myself. "if you have spare cash after building a buffer, then pay down your highest rate interest debt" is great advice, but immediately falls apart when you take most of your income as dividends, because "your highest interest debt" at that point is avoidable income tax.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm being ripped-off by Sky at the moment for my broadband, so I'm due for a change. It's been literally a decade since I last switched (ironically after being ripped-off by BT), so I'm somewhat rusty: am I best off finding a package via Moneysupermarket, giving New Providertm my details, and waiting for the new equipment to arrive in the post?

(My current equipment plugs into the Openreach socket, which I think only precludes Virgin as a provider?)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

spincube posted:

I'm being ripped-off by Sky at the moment for my broadband, so I'm due for a change. It's been literally a decade since I last switched (ironically after being ripped-off by BT), so I'm somewhat rusty: am I best off finding a package via Moneysupermarket, giving New Providertm my details, and waiting for the new equipment to arrive in the post?

(My current equipment plugs into the Openreach socket, which I think only precludes Virgin as a provider?)

See who comes up with the best price on <compare the whatever.com> then go direct to the provider and see if they'll do you a deal for a bit less given there isn't a middleman to pay commission to would be my approach.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
zen are best if you need high speed internet but it's a bit pricey. plusnet is a decent alternative that i went with when i switched recently

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

spincube posted:

MoneySavingExpert is generally my goto.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/

I have Zen. Nothing close to the cheapest (£35/m?) but works well other than the terrible quality of the phone line.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks all. Current plan is to sniff out an 'average package' from MSM, round the price down a little for being such a loyal paypig parasite customer, and get in touch with Sky's live chat

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
i got sky sports and internet for £10 a month for a year with nowtv a couple of years ago, see if you can beat that

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
does anyone know if zoopla estimated rental prices and house prices are at all reliable or are they too good to be true

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

does anyone know if zoopla estimated rental prices and house prices are at all reliable or are they too good to be true

Just checked on my flat and it is bang on what we rented it out for last year whilst we were living abroad. Sell estimate is probably pretty close too.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Depends entirely on the volume of the market, I suspect. Like, if they're basing their numbers on the listing values of the same or similar homes in the area then that relies on there being recent and regular listings of that home or similar homes in the area.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Depends entirely on the volume of the market, I suspect. Like, if they're basing their numbers on the listing values of the same or similar homes in the area then that relies on there being recent and regular listings of that home or similar homes in the area.

Yeah good point - I'm in central London fwiw.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Raffles posted:

My condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Raffles posted:

ex council, or...?