Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony

Hey BYOB,

I'm a goon who is taking a sociolinguistics class. That basically means I'm lazy and want help writing a paper. Tell me about being a BYOBer and how you communicate. What do you say vs. what do you mean? What's your favorite YOBism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
BYOB is like looking at the same object that everyone else is looking at but looking for the things no one else notices, pointing it out, and then playing volleyball with our new toy

Goons Are Gifts

The history of language, part 1/4782

It all started with a bang and

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
byob is a place where people who like to anthropomorphize fruits and vegetables get together to just chill and hang out, also we discuss erotic cryptozoology and sometimes we write erotic fan fiction about fantastical creatures like bigfoot, chupacabra or nessy.

Goons Are Gifts

Our goal here is to have fun together. It's not about being funny or smart, informative or provoking, not about posting good or bad, it's just about fun.
When we make a post in byob, where chill is a choice, we ask ourselves "Am I having fun posting right now?" and if the answer is yes or "gently caress I need weed" then we post. Usually multiple times, often in the wrong threads, with 17 threads at once in 10 minutes and/or with the right spirit, but the wrong words, smileys and references for the matter at hand.

Wait, this is the cooking effortpost thread, right??

Goons Are Gifts

Our language is a feeling. We post what we feel, not what we think, unless we do effortposts then some thinking might come in and support the feeling.

:justpost:

Also I seriously am lost right now, where's the too lost to post thread gently caress

Robot Made of Meat

I'm pretty sure this post violates the TOS, but it's BYOB, so we don't care.

Sorry, what was the question?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

Oh. How I communicate.

IRL, I mostly communicate by looking cross at others so as to avoid human interaction. Should anybody foolishly attempt further intercourse (of the social variety), I amp up my confused look, and stammer something vague. If attempts at communication persist, I mumble something, and go hide in the bathroom.

If the communication attempt occurs in the bathroom, I just curl up into a ball and cry softly while emitting a high shriek.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Stranger: Excuse me, I’m sorry to bother you- can you tell me where the electrical section is?

Me (holding electrical stuff in my hand): YOU MEAN YOU CAN SEE ME?

Farecoal

There he go

Wroughtirony posted:

Tell me about being a BYOBer and how you communicate. What do you say vs. what do you mean? What's your favorite YOBism?

i eschew the use of capital letters and some punctuation in byob, because it gives a more casual feel that can sometimes make a post more funny. i do this even when i'm on a phone and it requires more effort, because sometimes i feel like an interloper here and want to try to fit in. my favorite YOBism is emptyquoting (especially my posts :grin:)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i also prefer a lack of capitalisation and sometimes i misspell things and manipulate punctuation, spelling and grammar for either comedic effect or to make me look dimmer than usual.

Randy Travesty fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 15, 2019

Manifisto

communication in byob:

https://i.imgur.com/XzeAgqQ.mp4

Goons Are Gifts

Oh God I'm so sorry for my posts byob, sorry!!!

Macnult

I :justpost:

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
what i say: a lot of e/n
what i mean: i cry a lot

Stoner Sloth

:patriot:

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

FutonForensic

BYOB is: FPS, hobby-grade, coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic BYOB!

Goons Are Gifts

Maybe it helps if we sum up byob in no more than 3 smileys:

:byob1: :birddrugs: :peanut: in that order

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
byob is proof that the internet makes you stupid, but in a good way

when i first came here i was appalled at the lack of punctuation and capitalization. i've always been proud of my english and grammar and syntax in general. it took months and months before i finally swallowed my pride and started typing like a remedial student in order to fit in

there's something about the comic sans font that just makes ppl relaxed or lazy i guess

on the upside it's a lot more fun to just type what's on your mind without worrying about all the rules of the english language. correct language and grammar use isn't v funny it turns out

if you want an extreme example of this dumbing down effect just read posts by Bo-Pepper, the king of run-on sentences

once you realize ppl here type lazily on purpose it starts to feel more homey

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Manifisto

prepuce repurposed posted:

when i first came here i was appalled at the lack of punctuation and capitalization. i've always been proud of my english and grammar and syntax in general. it took months and months before i finally swallowed my pride and started typing like a remedial student in order to fit in

there's something about the comic sans font that just makes ppl relaxed or lazy i guess

on the upside it's a lot more fun to just type what's on your mind without worrying about all the rules of the english language. correct language and grammar use isn't v funny it turns out

if you want an extreme example of this dumbing down effect just read posts by Bo-Pepper, the king of run-on sentences

:agreed:

similarly, smiley/emoji usage on most of the internet and in texting gets annoying pretty quickly, but for some reason the selection of smileys on sa combined with the way they're used makes it an integral part of the experience

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Byob feels like the land of freedom. Sure, you can write like weird and usual it will even be fan, or ignore punctuation entirely or, add, it, everywhere!??! for no :lol: apparent Rea!!!son, but you also can type just as usual as in every grey forum.

Fun is what matters. In effort posts I write like the nerd that I am, in joke posts I write however I feel like right now, and then be ashamed of it because I'm not good at jokes, but the words may have saved me.

fun I tell you. Fun. FUN!!!!!!?!? 5=8(4@7)6(7(7@ :blastu:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

prepuce repurposed posted:

Manifisto posted:

:agreed:

similarly, smiley/emoji usage on most of the internet and in texting gets annoying pretty quickly, but for some reason the selection of smileys on sa combined with the way they're used makes it an integral part of the experience

Goons Are Great posted:

Byob feels like the land of freedom. Sure, you can write like weird and usual it will even be fan, or ignore punctuation entirely or, add, it, everywhere!??! for no :lol: apparent Rea!!!son, but you also can type just as usual as in every grey forum.

Fun is what matters. In effort posts I write like the nerd that I am, in joke posts I write however I feel like right now, and then be ashamed of it because I'm not good at jokes, but the words may have saved me.

fun I tell you. Fun. FUN!!!!!!?!? 5=8(4@7)6(7(7@ :blastu:

All of this is true. Playing with grammar and language, trying out jokes in a place that is chill and expects some weirdness is fun.

Areola Grande

he'll yesss

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

HE'LL YA BORTHER GONNA OPEN UP A COL DONE N POAST

Areola Grande

Wroughtirony posted:

Hey BYOB,

I'm a goon who is taking a sociolinguistics class. That basically means I'm lazy and want help writing a paper. Tell me about being a BYOBer and how you communicate. What do you say vs. what do you mean? What's your favorite YOBism?

u better be reading this and writing it all down mfer

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

If not I'll write my own paper to get an A and dunk on OP for getting the best grade

Goons Are Gifts

I give hamjobs an A+!!!

Stoner Sloth

Goons Are Great posted:

I give hamjobs an A+!!!

420/69 - an amzaing grade??!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

kalel

you just kinda chill out and post whatever comes to mind, maybe a pun or a joke or a funny observation. sometimes just random thoughts. anything really as long as it's chill and respectful. Just post!!!

Stoner Sloth

SciFiDownBeat posted:

you just kinda chill out and post whatever comes to mind, maybe a pun or a joke or a funny observation. sometimes just random thoughts. anything really as long as it's chill and respectful. Just post!!!

daoism but with wheede!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Stoner Sloth posted:

420/69 - an amzaing grade??!

hloy poo poo im anmazing at school!!!!!!