Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Me and a buddy finally said gently caress it and bought a Combat Mission game (Fortress Italy). It definitely has its moments now that I have figured it out but the tactical AI is idiotic at times. Genuinely baffling sitting there watching as I lose 4-5 squads to artillery because they decided to run into it instead of away from it. Their move orders took them into the zone but they were well outside it when the bombs started dropping, but then they just panicked and kept running into it. I also have tank that I have tried to control for like 5 turns but it keeps just turning around in circles instead of just DRIVING FORWARDS like I've asked it to.

Unfortunately nothing else scratches the same itch in terms of simultaneous turns so I'll have to put up with it. I'm just glad I bought it on a keysite because there is no way in hell I'm paying $60+ for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

it's too late for you now, but for any future grogs: don't give Battlefront money

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its ok 30% goes to steam and another 20 probably goes to slitherine

If Battlefront still ran things they wouldnt even be on steam

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I paid $15 to some rando on a keysite. (I got a Steam key) So battlefront gets much much less than that as a result. But I can't deny that it has its moments. It is just that the performance is so poo poo and the controls are rear end which makes it hard to get into. I can even deal with the AI loving up from time to time since it is usually alright. If they at least unfucked the performance I would be far more likely to buy their games at sale price or maybe even full price. I buy plenty of esoteric niche games that don't run like hot garbage, so evidently it is possible.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 30, 2024

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ah so you didnt get the engine upgrades sold seperately? :smuggo:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ah so you didnt get the engine upgrades sold seperately? :smuggo:

Regrettably, no. Sounds like a nice premium experience.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You get everything with the Steam edition now.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Alchenar posted:

You get everything with the Steam edition now.

Yeah, thankfully. Question is if Engine upgrade 5 or whatever will ever materialize. Though I highly doubt it will improve performance.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Oh heh, I didn't even realize they finally put Fortress Italy on Steam. They still doing the thing where they're giving previous owners Steam keys like they did with Black Sea etc. / how do I go about that?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Silent Hunter 3 and Steam Deck-havers, this turned out way way better than I expected it to! Cross-posted from the Deck thread itself, but since I suspect the subsimmers would turn up here:

I think I'm all done with a surprisingly effective, complete control scheme! I'm really pleased with how it turned out:

It makes ample use of touchpad menus, long-presses, and double-presses to include as many commands as I could, and I tried to group them together sensibly: long-pressing the Dive command will Crash Dive instead, LP-ing the Fire Deck Gun button becomes Fire Torpedo (plus long-pushing the torp button feels right anyway), etc. Even included a light gyro mouse, which comes in really handy for locking onto distant, small targets with the periscopes. Pressing, long-pressing, and double-pressing means I could put three stations/screens on each of the sticks, select, and menu buttons.

I sent it out to the community layouts, called "SH3 Command Deck v2"; I'm not sure how long that takes to show but if you've got a Silent Hunter III itch, give it a try and let me know if I'm missing anything glaring. Anything that's not bound should be accessibly by mouse or talking to your officers.

Crew management with the trackpad mouse is rough, but is accessible with a long-press of the Start button. Ideally, next I'm going to figure out how to get SH3 Commander to run in desktop mode so I can just turn crew management off. Didn't love the idea of modding it out at first, but someone made the convincing point "telling people to go to bed is what I have officers for."

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 30, 2024

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drone posted:

Oh heh, I didn't even realize they finally put Fortress Italy on Steam. They still doing the thing where they're giving previous owners Steam keys like they did with Black Sea etc. / how do I go about that?

You gotta log onto a Slitherine account, add your Battlefront key and they'll give you a steam key.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

Go to slitherine, check your account page, get the key

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does Strategic Command: American Civil War have an "ahistorical mode" like Hearts of Iron 4 does? or will the AI do the same things over/just re-enact the Civil War? Or is it somewhere in between?

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Rtw3 trip report:

So a fairly historical ww2 between the us, gb and Austria hungry on one side and the axis powers on the other wrapped up after 3ish years with the German government collapsing from the blockade. I had taken all of Italy’s med holdings off them and was about to do the same to Japan but Germans collapse caused them all to peace out. I am wondering if it is a thing that the government types of the defeated countries stays the same (Fash)?

In any case a few years goes by jets are invented and anti ship missiles. Little did I know the axis powers were putting missiles on just about everything and this is before CWIS is invented so I stumble into a new conflict with Japan and the first engagement out of the gate a group of light cruisers murder one of my battleships.

Things don’t get a ton better from there. My super carriers can murder what they find with aircraft launched missiles but any surface engagement means at least a couple of DD’s are going to burn at least.

My primary complaint is that the meta generally followed history to this point. General BB to dreadnaught to air craft. But after that there aren’t any great power conflicts to use as a guideline. Now we are into the 1950’s and countries that just got wrecked on a global scale made the pivot to new ship types without the game giving any indication of the change in the game.

The game will tell you if you don’t have enough destroyers or if you still have air ships past their expiration date. Why wouldn’t the general staff complain about not having enough of these fancy new weapons.

In any case probably time to retire this game and maybe start on a new one.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah once you research heavy anti ship missiles there's literally no reason to slam them on everything since they weigh so little and topside space is now the limiting factor of your designs.

Small destroyers? Shove missiles on them. Corvettes outfitted for colonial duty? Shove a couple HASMs on there and they can still give some raider a nasty surprise. Refitting a battleship? Shove as many missiles on there as you can fit, start every battle with a Macross swarm of anti ship missiles and then finish off the damaged ships with your big guns.

CIWS doesn't come usually until sometime in the 60s but radar guided MAA can shoot down missiles decently, and once you get some ECM techs and other anti missile techs like chaff decoys that reduce the missile hit chance more will tend to not hit than hit.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Missile warfare is very stressful but very interesting, as the ability to kill stuff goes way up while the ability to survive goes way down. You can pretty much rely on losing at least a couple of destroyers in any given battle, yeah, but call that the price of doing business. If you can, one thing to try and do is to limit your missile use and try to bait the enemy into firing their entire load at some advanced light scouting force. If you can get them to waste everything on a few light ships, while you reserve your missiles for their heavies, you can come out ahead of a given trade. Trying to interpret what you're seeing on radar and deciding whether it's worth sending out your full salvos or not is an interesting experience to be sure.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mmm. Makes things shift from [1812 overture] and more towards [samurai movie]

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tomn posted:

You can pretty much rely on losing at least a couple of destroyers in any given battle

Um asking for a friend but is it not the typical experience to lose 3 to a division of destroyers per battle in the 1910-1940 phase?

Or am I attacking with a hair too much elan.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
You can never have too much élan. En avant, baby!

Also, if you're sinking capital ships on the regular then that's a perfectly good trade.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
With how fast ship technology advances and how fast destroyers are to build, those 1910 to 1940 years you often are going to want to build a new class of destroyer and maybe even scrap some of your old ones after each war, so go ahead and charge them into the enemy line on torpedo runs, just a more useful way to get rid of some ships that will be obsolete for the next war.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah I call it Fleet Modernization via Atrittion. They do themselves proud with their torpedo runs right into the enemy teeth but it means the average age of a destroyer in my grand fleet is rather young.

I'm constantly producing more destroyers to keep my numbers up, peacetime means a breather for me to scrap those currently in production and refresh the designs to cram in yet more torpedoes, a better fire control apparatus, or maybe some guns to blast these newfangled aeronautical crafts, or whatever the boffins have come up with lately.

I'm fielding 3 classes of destroyers, to cover short/medium/long range since I got tired of them not committing to battle thanks to low fuel, which might be overkill, but I appreciate the shorter build times that the lighter, short range ships allow me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why don't you just build nothing but medium range destroyers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
*Extremely HOI2 voice*:

Stairmaster posted:

Why don't you just build nothing but medium range destroyers

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

hoi2 meta was cruiser spam iirc. they called it cruizerg

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
That brings up an interesting question: what’s the point of long range? I get the draw back of short range, no strategic movement during war. But the advantage of long range is never as explicit. Does it just avoid the “to far out of fuel drop out of battle” issue that happens sometimes? Because that seems rare enough on medium to make the extra space not worth it.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

everydayfalls posted:

That brings up an interesting question: what’s the point of long range? I get the draw back of short range, no strategic movement during war. But the advantage of long range is never as explicit. Does it just avoid the “to far out of fuel drop out of battle” issue that happens sometimes? Because that seems rare enough on medium to make the extra space not worth it.

I think the fuel issues get a lot worse when you are in a zone with no friendly bases. Long-ranged ships can fight better in such situations. It's still a bad idea, because any ship that takes damage is unlikely to be fixed, and basically gets locked for the remainder of the war. Also if you want to do expeditionary stuff it's not that hard to steal a base for every important zone from the British, and then build up the support until your medium-ranged ships can do fine everywhere.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

In theory I think long range ships have a better chance of actually showing up to the battle at all, to represent a ship not having to peel off and go home to fuel up before actually finding the decisive battle. I think it also affects commerce raiding and protection and makes neutral internment less likely. I admit none of this has been empirically tested though.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Arrath posted:

Um asking for a friend but is it not the typical experience to lose 3 to a division of destroyers per battle in the 1910-1940 phase?

Or am I attacking with a hair too much elan.

Destroyers aren't ships, destroyers are ammunition.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Arrath posted:

Yeah I call it Fleet Modernization via Atrittion. They do themselves proud with their torpedo runs right into the enemy teeth but it means the average age of a destroyer in my grand fleet is rather young.
It's not called the Elderly School.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

hoi2 meta was cruiser spam iirc. they called it cruizerg

HOI2 naval combat was kind of hilarious. Aircraft carriers were modelled as battleships with guns that fired 200 km, and whichever fleet was faster got to their optimal range in one hour (the smallest unit of game time). Fleet speed was set by the slowest ship in the fleet.

So if you had aircraft carriers that could do 30 knots and the enemy had any ships slower than that, the combat took place at 200 km and the enemy never got to shoot.

So the solution was to make a fleet of cruisers than go more than 30 knots - then combat happens at like 10km and the carriers get slaughtered.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Do I have it right that it's normal for ships ca. 1900 to just not fire torpedoes?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

Do I have it right that it's normal for ships ca. 1900 to just not fire torpedoes?

It's pretty normal. Early torpedo has such a short range and low speed the AI can basically only find fire solution for crippled target.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Alternatively if you're a death or glory type, take your ships up into boarding range and let God determine whose torpedoes hit harder.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Tevery Best posted:

Only slightly exaggerating, the early torpedoes are barely faster than the ships, and have ranges barely longer than the length of the ships. If you want to torpedo someone, you have to sail right next to the ship you are targeting. Remember, you need the torpedo to hit where the enemy ship will be when it gets there, not where it is now. Two ships sailing parallel can both be well within the "torpedo range" circle of each other and still be completely safe, because to hit the enemy they'd have to launch at an high angle forwards, and the total distance that way will be too long for the torpedo.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Tevery Best posted:

You can maximise your chance of getting a torpedo off by passing the enemy in the opposite direction from them - the things have to be fired ahead of the ship and with early tech that's pretty hard to do.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Bear in mind this maximises the enemy’s chances of getting a shot off on you, but it’s still better than a stern chase where you try to overhaul them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You can also set a torpedo training doctrine for something like +30% maintenance cost. I'm currently doing gunnery training, which is omfg paying off, I'm getting gunnery kills in minutes. It's arguably OP and I love it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I've stopped bothering with the extra training unless I'm playing Japan with their reduced training cost tbh. Even gunnery training is only supposed to give you an extra 10% accuracy, but 30% increased maintenance costs can seriously impact the number of ships you can maintain and your replacement build schedule.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
In my theoretical "I'm a trillionaire and I'm going to blow literally billions of dollars making a game just for myself" I'd love to see RTW3 folded into Terra Invicta as the blue water navy part instead of the current "blockaded/unblockaded" system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

In my theoretical "I'm a trillionaire and I'm going to blow literally billions of dollars making a game just for myself" I'd love to see RTW3 folded into Terra Invicta as the blue water navy part instead of the current "blockaded/unblockaded" system.

We kind of have that with Ultimate Admiral.